Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
The 2013 Evil Dead movie (although there is nothing irrational about hating the scene): the group finds a basement laden with animal corpses which also contains a flesh-bound book. So the long haired glasses wearing guy (whatever that fucker's name was) later decide to go down there alone, ignore obvious warnings literally written on almost every page of the book, actively decipher the script and read the words fully knowing that he is summoning the loving Devil or some poo poo and then is surprised when things turn dark. I know character in horrors are supposed to be stupid, but that was a bit too much.

Also Ash's cameo at the end was apropos of nothing and only made me regret wasting time on this movie instead of watching Army of Darkness again.

Szurumbur has a new favorite as of 16:38 on Apr 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Szurumbur posted:

The 2013 Evil Dead movie (although there is nothing irrational about hating the scene): the group finds a basement laden with animal corpses which also contains a flesh-bound book. So the long haired glasses wearing guy (whatever that fucker's name was) later decide to go down there alone, ignore obvious warnings literally written on almost every page of the book, actively decipher the script and read the words fully knowing that he is summoning the loving Devil or some poo poo and then is surprised when things turn dark. I know character in horrors are supposed to be stupid, but that was a bit too much.

I'd read the book too.

Because demons don't exist.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Szurumbur posted:

Also Ash's cameo at the end was apropos of nothing and only made regret wasting time on this movie instead of watching Army of Darkness again.

It just makes the bit in Cabin in the Woods better: "I'm drawing a line in the loving sand here. Don't read the Latin!"

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I'd read the book too.

Because demons don't exist.

I'd read the book too, but I'd probably not read it out loud, just in case.

See also: The Mummy

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
In 'Equilibrium' how Taye Diggs is always either being really happy or really angry all the time. The whole point is that everyone is supposed to be on an even emotional keel because of the mandatory drugs, but his character is perpetually showing all sorts of strong emotions. He's either got a huge smile on his face or is looking like he wants to murder someone. Excuse me but that cleric is clearly not taking the drugs.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

Supreme Allah posted:

In 'Equilibrium' how Taye Diggs is always either being really happy or really angry all the time. The whole point is that everyone is supposed to be on an even emotional keel because of the mandatory drugs, but his character is perpetually showing all sorts of strong emotions. He's either got a huge smile on his face or is looking like he wants to murder someone. Excuse me but that cleric is clearly not taking the drugs.
I thought it was implied that many of upper tier of the evil government weren't taking the drugs. At least Taye Diggs was the right-hand-man of the big bad evil guy who is also not on the drugs. And he's does a better job at blending in then Christian Bale who keeps blowing his cover and yet nobody cares.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Yeah knowing that DuPont wasn't on Prozium, I always assumed that Brandt wasn't either.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Isn't that kind of a 'subtle' point of the movie, that everyone who is higher up basically does not believe the propaganda/use the drugs? It's probably just a method to keep the population in check while the elite enjoy themselves.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

Szurumbur posted:

Also Ash's cameo at the end was apropos of nothing and only made regret wasting time on this movie instead of watching Army of Darkness again.

My contention is that this king demon shitheel waits hundreds of years for the perfect circumstances to come about that allows a few sacrifices to be made but can't even make itself powerful enough to survive a few attacks. Ok, a chainsaw is pretty gruesome. But it's stepping into a world it is completely unfamiliar with. Even assuming it survived the encounter in the woods with the kids, the second it stepped onto a road or wondered what an electrical socket was or any number of other things, the apocalypse would end. It all becomes so anticlimactic.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
The main bad guy wasn't taking them, but if Preston (the highest level of Cleric) was expected to take them, I would assume all clerics are supposed to take them.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Lead Psychiatry posted:

My contention is that this king demon shitheel waits hundreds of years for the perfect circumstances to come about that allows a few sacrifices to be made but can't even make itself powerful enough to survive a few attacks. Ok, a chainsaw is pretty gruesome. But it's stepping into a world it is completely unfamiliar with. Even assuming it survived the encounter in the woods with the kids, the second it stepped onto a road or wondered what an electrical socket was or any number of other things, the apocalypse would end. It all becomes so anticlimactic.

The whole movie was generally awful and not campy at all, which I wouldn't expect from an Evil Dead movie. Also it kept teasing me with a whole slew of hands being lost which could be replaced with a sweet chainsaw and yet it never happened :mad:

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Supreme Allah posted:

The main bad guy wasn't taking them, but if Preston (the highest level of Cleric) was expected to take them, I would assume all clerics are supposed to take them.

Remember that his partner didn't take the stuff either (Sean Bean) and neither does his son. Maybe Preston is actually the sole consumer of the drug?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Samopsa posted:

Isn't that kind of a 'subtle' point of the movie, that everyone who is higher up basically does not believe the propaganda/use the drugs? It's probably just a method to keep the population in check while the elite enjoy themselves.

I kind of like the theory that the medication barely works as it is. Everybody just goes along with it because the relentless propaganda hammers it into them, making it basically a society-wide placebo. Notice that the most common way to sniff out sense offenders appears to be using people with the intuition to point them out, rather than something reproducable and reliable like the machine-based test Preston got later. I figure that's because at the core everybody still feels and the machines would pick up on that, so they just settle for picking out people that aren't good at hiding it.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

Supreme Allah posted:

I think the commentary mentions at several points that this was on purpose because the idea is that his drugs aren't working. It's been forever, but doesn't he mention needing to up his dosage?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Samopsa posted:

Remember that his partner didn't take the stuff either (Sean Bean) and neither does his son. Maybe Preston is actually the sole consumer of the drug?

"Wait, you were actually taking it? Not just faking? drat, man!"

And now, in my head, Preston is a descendant of Bob Arctor.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Szurumbur posted:

The whole movie was generally awful and not campy at all, which I wouldn't expect from an Evil Dead movie. Also it kept teasing me with a whole slew of hands being lost which could be replaced with a sweet chainsaw and yet it never happened :mad:

Irrationally irritated people want their remakes to be retreads.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Irrationally irritated people want their remakes to be retreads.

If it's a retread people get angry. If it's not a retread people get angry.

The only way to win is not remake.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Len posted:

If it's a retread people get angry. If it's not a retread people get angry.

The only way to win is not remake.

The Thing was a good remake.

Then again, The Thing wasn't a good remake.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

AFewBricksShy posted:

I'd read the book too, but I'd probably not read it out loud, just in case.

See also: The Mummy

In all these movies, you almost never have anyone around the person reading the ancient incantations aloud. When was the last time you (any of you) read something aloud when you were only reading to yourself?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The point is that those guys all need to die horribly because I loving hate people that read out loud to themselves.

Those books just allow that to happen.

Personally, I just loving hated the hipster guy because he basically ignored the garbage bag, THE loving BARBED WIRE, the hairy book made out of skin, that's like 3 levels of "Seriously you loving douchebag don't loving mess with this, you found it in a celler filled with rank rear end dead animals and it's written in blood. GO DO SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE YOU loving NITWIT" that he ignored.

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist

Lead Psychiatry posted:

I dunno, I personally don't find apocalypses in movies scary at all. Screaming monsters killing a few people is a little scarier. If I had a monster biting my face in real life, I'd be pretty scared, even if logically I knew its rain of blood wouldn't make it out of the county.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Szurumbur posted:

It kinda happens, when Mia jams her stump into the hand-hold of the chainsaw.

And yeah, I probably would have read the book.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I just watched Antiviral, and I really liked it, but I had one serious problem: one of the first scenes in the movie teases that we're going to see a Cronenberg vagina, but we never do.

Sure, the movie ends on the protagonist drinking blood out of a incubator full of Cronenberg, but it's not the same.

Twitch has a new favorite as of 20:57 on Apr 10, 2014

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The point is that those guys all need to die horribly because I loving hate people that read out loud to themselves.

Those books just allow that to happen.

Personally, I just loving hated the hipster guy because he basically ignored the garbage bag, THE loving BARBED WIRE, the hairy book made out of skin, that's like 3 levels of "Seriously you loving douchebag don't loving mess with this, you found it in a celler filled with rank rear end dead animals and it's written in blood. GO DO SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE YOU loving NITWIT" that he ignored.

I dunno, I still would have read the book. The fact that it's wrapped in so much poo poo that says 'Don't Read This' just makes me want to read it more.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

Christmas Jones posted:

I dunno, I personally don't find apocalypses in movies scary at all. Screaming monsters killing a few people is a little scarier. If I had a monster biting my face in real life, I'd be pretty scared, even if logically I knew its rain of blood wouldn't make it out of the county.

Understandable. There is a rather low limit before the unspeakable horrors become passe. But some evil is all about doing it all in one go because they don't want to listen to their peers that if they do that, they'll have nothing else for the rest of eternity.

Some folks just have to learn the hard way.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Speaking of Elysium; How could people tell it was code to reboot the system if it was encrypted and scrambled?

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

Speaking of Elysium; How could people tell it was code to reboot the system if it was encrypted and scrambled?

It wasn't really even protected at all because Matt Damon was able to use it. If you had a computer program that can kill someone if they steal it, it should kill them immediately after they steal it, not after they use it one time.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It just wasn't a very good movie.

It's like it was trying REALLY HARD to have this social meaning to it so people would think it's an incredibly deep and moving film, but it falls apart when you think about it.

I'm irrationally mad I spent time to watch it.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Basically all of Divergent was garbage, but the worst part is that society is broken into very specific castes who do very specific things, which leaves a lot of holes in the job market. Who's building poo poo? Who's keeping all these buildings squeaky clean? Who's Kate Winslet's chauffeur?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It just wasn't a very good movie.

It's like it was trying REALLY HARD to have this social meaning to it so people would think it's an incredibly deep and moving film, but it falls apart when you think about it.

I'm irrationally mad I spent time to watch it.

Nostradingus posted:

Basically all of Divergent was garbage, but the worst part is that society is broken into very specific castes who do very specific things, which leaves a lot of holes in the job market. Who's building poo poo? Who's keeping all these buildings squeaky clean? Who's Kate Winslet's chauffeur?

The answer to both of these is that dystopias are generally metaphorical rather than literal. You may as well ask why the fox in Aesop's story of The Fox and the Grapes had the ability of speech when vulpine vocal cords are physically incapable of forming English syllables.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Nostradingus posted:

In the books, it's basically the "poors" who do all that poo poo. The books aren't very good, either. Who the gently caress wastes time pining over their ~~~boyfriend~~~ when people are getting shot?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I have this inkling I'm wrong, but isn't one of Divergent's major plot points is that the rest of the world is perfectly fine, and that once Chicago drops the whole faction thing, they'll be welcomed back by every other city that's figured it out?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

I have this inkling I'm wrong, but isn't one of Divergent's major plot points is that the rest of the world is perfectly fine, and that once Chicago drops the whole faction thing, they'll be welcomed back by every other city that's figured it out?

Sooooorta. The whole world started genetic modification to keep people from being dicks, but they "lost" something when they did it, so Chicago and other cities were set up to fix it naturally. The Divergents are people who fit in to multiple categories and are "fixed". I got bored about 30% in to the last book and don't know what happens after that, but based on the first 30%, I bet it's stupid.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
During a chase in Captain America 2, one of the cops shouts "He's going up 17th Avenue!" which bugged me because 17th is a street in Washington DC not an avenue :argh:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Why do they either even bother telling people they're divergent in the first place if it rocks the boat so much? Just have the test pick a random answer.

God that movie was dumb.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I just rewatched The Avengers, and there's one detail that really makes me mad.

Near the middle of the film, when Thor tries to straight-up murder the other Avengers to get at Loki, we get this real neat scene where Thor blasts Stark with lightning, the electricity charges the Iron Man suit capacitors way up top, and Stark uses that energy to blast Thor.

It would seem like a neat think to use later on, say, for example, in the goddamn final battle against the evil invading aliens, but it's never mentioned or used again.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
*shrug* it was probably both a: bad for the armour and b: less net powerful than thor just using the same lightning to blast the aliens directly.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Mikl posted:

I just rewatched The Avengers, and there's one detail that really makes me mad.

Near the middle of the film, when Thor tries to straight-up murder the other Avengers to get at Loki, we get this real neat scene where Thor blasts Stark with lightning, the electricity charges the Iron Man suit capacitors way up top, and Stark uses that energy to blast Thor.

It would seem like a neat think to use later on, say, for example, in the goddamn final battle against the evil invading aliens, but it's never mentioned or used again.

"Hey Thor! Stop preventing more ships from showing up with your gently caress-off lighting bolts and go charge Iron Man's suit! What do you mean he got another brand loving shiny new fully charged suit when we entered the city?"

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

MrJacobs posted:

"Hey Thor! Stop preventing more ships from showing up with your gently caress-off lighting bolts and go charge Iron Man's suit! What do you mean he got another brand loving shiny new fully charged suit when we entered the city?"

Well *adjusts glasses* the first time, his lightning charged the suit to around 1,000 percent capacity, which would be a significant short-term boost to even a fully charged suit. It's probably bad for the suits to do this because few machines can operate at 1000 percent capacity for very long. Like using NOS in a car, you don't just keep doing it. His point was that it may have been a good time to do it in the middle of the invasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
"In the middle of an invasion" seems like the worst time to risk loving up a suit of power armor.

• Locked thread