Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Korak posted:

They might do a "Target player takes X damage for every enchantment they have." type effect.

Aura Barbs.

JerryLee posted:

Nothing against you personally but some small part of me dies inside when people see this effect and the closest thing they can think to compare it to is Vorinclex rather than Heartbeat of Spring, let alone Mana Flare. :shepicide:

Also, totally punted the opportunity for a Helen of Troy reference on Launch the Fleet.

With the cost, its more of a symmetrical Mana Reflection. Also surprised that Vorinclex was the go to as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Toshimo posted:

Rishadan Port.

Not being a poo poo, I am legitimately ignorant and curious: What decks run City of Brass in a format that also runs Port?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

Not being a poo poo, I am legitimately ignorant and curious: What decks run City of Brass in a format that also runs Port?

Dredge.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

mango sentinel posted:

TES and Dredge in Legacy.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

On the other part of that argument, I don't think anyone who is playing city of brass is playing damage prevention.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
ignore me

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Alaan posted:

On the other part of that argument, I don't think anyone who is playing city of brass is playing damage prevention.
I dunno man, City of Brass + Hedron Field Purists seems like sweet modern tech.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Hmm LSV pointed out the Mana Confluence land works exceptionally well in decks playing Nightveil.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Korak posted:

Hmm LSV pointed out the Mana Confluence land works exceptionally well in decks playing Nightveil.

4 of in mono U and mono B

Mono U on top again, U/W gets blown out, anarchy reigns.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I need 4 of those new City of Brass' ASAP.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Count Bleck posted:

4 of in mono U and mono B

Mono U on top again, U/W gets blown out, anarchy reigns.

Burning Earth makes a possible comeback, and the aggro/burn decks get some free damage in?

Goodbye Tarnished Citadel you served dredge well.

~Ritual of the Returned 3B

Instant (Uncommon)

Exile target creature card from your graveyard. Put a black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield with its power equals to the exiled card's power and toughness equals to the exiled card's toughness.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I personally enjoy when a new set comes out.

The weeks between it and Game Day are always so chaotic, nobody knows what to brew, everybody wants to try new poo poo.

It's so refreshing.

Bugsy posted:

~Ritual of the Returned 3B

Instant (Uncommon)

Exile target creature card from your graveyard. Put a black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield with its power equals to the exiled card's power and toughness equals to the exiled card's toughness.

Oh for gently caress sake.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

drat standard dradge just got real.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

poo poo, I might just have to get in on this black green stuff.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Bugsy posted:

Nighthowler seems like a good target with a full graveyard.

edit: or Colossus of Akros in limited.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

End of Life Guy posted:

Nighthowler seems like a good target with a full graveyard.

Isn't nighhowler a 0/0 in all non battlefield zones?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
At uncommon, even? That feels like a really long block of text for an uncommon card. And also this seems like a really powerful effect at uncommon? Giving you extra copies of good creatures seems like it could wreck a draft environment.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Bugsy posted:

gently caress me, yah. I started the comment thinking of some way to exile a pack rat, but if I have enough rats on board to make it big in the graveyard, casting that card isn't as good as making another rat.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Sade posted:

At uncommon, even? That feels like a really long block of text for an uncommon card. And also this seems like a really powerful effect at uncommon? Giving you extra copies of good creatures seems like it could wreck a draft environment.

It's a vanilla zombie token, not an extra copy of a creature.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Bugsy posted:

Yeah.

Also to anyone worrying about this card, it's just going to be a 4 mana "make the biggest vanilla dude in your graveyard" spell which will be annoying in limited probably but is not going to break anything in Standard. Typically the cards that were really good reanimation targets did stuff a la Jin Gitaxias, Elesh Norn, Titans, Angel of Despair, et cetera. People were never reanimating Ghoultrees.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Bugsy posted:

9/15/2013 Nighthowler’s last ability functions only from the battlefield. In other zones, Nighthowler is a 0/0 enchantment creature.

Sadly correct. It was my first thought too. It looks to be a fun build around me type of card. Put Worldspine into the graveyard and reanimate it seems to be the most broken thing I can think of right this moment and that was already possible with whip. Theoretically helps mono black have another possible 4 of 6/6 zombies if your demon dies if there's a matchup they want to be even more threat dense.

vvv Oops. I haven't looked at the rules text on that thing in a while, thanks.

Korak fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 11, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Korak posted:

Put Worldspine into the graveyard and reanimate it seems to be the most broken thing I can think of right this moment and that was already possible with whip.
Point of order, Worldspine Wurm has the Eldrazi clause, and Whip of Erberos is sorcery-speed, so no, it wasn't possible before.

It is now with instant-speed reanimation :getin:

Sade posted:

Reanimation Effects are usually uncommon in rarity

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Sade posted:

And also this seems like a really powerful effect at uncommon? Giving you extra copies of good creatures seems like it could wreck a draft environment.

Wasn't huge impact wise in core sets, and it could grab stuff out of your opponent's graveyards. It's often a relatively dead card.

Admittedly this one is instant speed which allows Cool Tricks, but on the other hand a token with the same power/toughness typically isn't as good as just getting the actual thing back. The exception to this is stuff like Death's Shadow, obviously.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

I wonder if they're feeling squeezed by Hearthstone and that's why they're doing proper deckbuilding this time.

I also wonder why they don't drop the yearly thing and just make DotP into basically "Hearthstone but with more cards and better AI and more modes and actual single-player content".

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Roadie posted:

I wonder if they're feeling squeezed by Hearthstone and that's why they're doing proper deckbuilding this time.

I also wonder why they don't drop the yearly thing and just make DotP into basically "Hearthstone but with more cards and better AI and more modes and actual single-player content".

The main thing is how difficult that is. It requires dedicated servers and the company that is making this is probably very cautious about such an idea as they know the sheer amount of infrastructure it will need.

Can't blame them personally.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

rabidsquid posted:

Yeah.

Also to anyone worrying about this card, it's just going to be a 4 mana "make the biggest vanilla dude in your graveyard" spell which will be annoying in limited probably but is not going to break anything in Standard. Typically the cards that were really good reanimation targets did stuff a la Jin Gitaxias, Elesh Norn, Titans, Angel of Despair, et cetera. People were never reanimating Ghoultrees.
Yeah. This just makes a big vanilla zombie token. Spiciest guy you can zombify in limited is Akroan Colossus, which gives you a 10/10 for 4 at instant speed. That's useful, but not gamebreaking. More likely scenario in limited is you getting a discount Craw Wurm. A fringe deck will probably try making 15/15 zombies but I don't see it working out. Awesome art though. Whoops, you can't reanimate Worldspine Wurm.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 11, 2014

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mango sentinel posted:

Yeah. This just makes a big vanilla zombie token. Spiciest guy you can zombify in limited is Akroan Colossus, which gives you a 10/10 for 4 at instant speed. That's useful, but not gamebreaking. More likely scenario in limited is you getting a discount Craw Wurm. A fringe deck will probably try making 15/15 zombies but I don't see it working out. Awesome art though. Whoops, you can't reanimate Worldspine Wurm.

It's an Instant, so you actually can. Same with Emrakul or any of the other Eldrazi.

You can't use it to get back Darksteel Colossus or anything of that ilk, though.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Jabor posted:

It's an Instant, so you actually can. Same with Emrakul or any of the other Eldrazi.

You can't use it to get back Darksteel Colossus or anything of that ilk, though.

This is just making me imagine Emrakul with a huge-rear end Returned mask just sort of floating in front of it.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Roadie posted:

Then DotP would become what MTGO should be, and we can't have that.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Spectral Werewolf posted:

Then DotP would become what MTGO should be, and we can't have that.

I wish we could have good online Magic. :sigh:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

vOv posted:

This is just making me imagine Emrakul with a huge-rear end Returned mask just sort of floating in front of it.
But he's all pale and rubbery instead of translucent and rippling with otherworldly power that can vanish matter with a touch. Still strong as gently caress though.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Wow, so a 2 colour deck can run 16 lands for both colours. And 4 Mutavaults. Maybe the card LSV mentioned is Path To Exile, and everyone will need to restrain themselves and keep a basic or two.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Pretty sure the card he was talking about was city of brass

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Roadie posted:

I'm sure Wizards plays close attention to Hearthstone and other competitors, but this game would have been in development before Hearthstone was released. This game is just following the trend of the other Duels games. Each one has added more customization options, and this seems like a natural progression.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
drat, functional City of Brass reprint is a huge deal. I can easily see it being ran in almost every deck after rotation if the next set's duals are weak, and City + Shocks is a decent enough Modern manabase if you can't afford fetchlands. Wouldn't surprise me if it hit $20 this fall.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Launch the fleet looks amazing. A mono white splashing for red victorygoats deck looks like it will ruin people. Realistically this will be used on T6 after a purphoros been played, with brimaz, captain and a couple of tokens on the field that's like 10-12 damage just through burn, scary.

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
Here are my opinions, which will undoubtly turn out to be correct:

U/R Demigod is actually very very powerful and is totally underestimated. It's the rebirth of attrition decks in standard.
W/R Demigod isn't actually that good. W/R already wins the ground-game. Spending T4 casting this when you should be casting a second brimaz is dumb.
U/G Demigod isn't actually that good either. Omnath style only works because it's 3 mana and you can drop it turn 2. This thing is 2 color and costs 5.

Ajani is alright since his second ability can just gain you cards over time, but he's definitely a casual deck focused planeswalker and doesn't actually have any way of protecting himself.

Eidelon of the great revel is an interesting card, and I'd like to see a Jund-y midrange anti-aggro deck built around it. Burn, Decay, That dude, maybe some graveyard shenanigans.

Mulletstation fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Apr 11, 2014

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Mulletstation posted:

Here are my opinions, which will undoubtly turn out to be correct:

U/R Demigod is actually very very powerful and is totally underestimated. It's the rebirth of attrition decks in standard.
W/R Demigod isn't actually that good. W/R already wins the ground-game. Spending T4 casting this when you should be casting a second brimaz is dumb.
U/G Demigod isn't actually that good either. Omnath style only works because it's 3 mana and you can drop it turn 2. This thing is 2 color and costs 5.

Ajani is alright since his second ability can just gain you cards over time, but he's definitely a casual deck focused planeswalker and doesn't actually have any way of protecting himself.

Eidelon of the great revel is an interesting card, and I'd like to see a Jund-y midrange anti-aggro deck built around it. Burn, Decay, That dude, maybe some graveyard shenanigans.

A second brimaz would kill the other one and cause card disadvantage though :colbert:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

If you want to play Keranos as an attrition based card you're turning it into the UR Primeval Bounty. There is no way you want to play that card without being able to turn it into a creature, because the static abilities on it don't compare favorably to a 5 mana Planeswalker, which is sort of what it becomes otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

If you want to play Keranos as an attrition based card you're turning it into the UR Primeval Bounty. There is no way you want to play that card without being able to turn it into a creature, because the static abilities on it don't compare favorably to a 5 mana Planeswalker, which is sort of what it becomes otherwise.

I've been brainstorming decks for Keranos for the past few days and I think I've come to the same conclusion, people have been writing off the card because of this but I think you can make a devotion based deck work with U/R that doesn't run terrible cards just for devotion. If we run no creatures with less than 3 toughness, along with izzet charm, turn/burn, swansong, rapid hybridization, frostburn weird and anger of the gods we have a good solid anti aggro base. Then add a few permanents to handle the long game like Claustrophobia, Hammer of Purphoros, Ral Zarek, Thassa, Keranos & Jace. I've even stuck in a cheeky Niv-Mizzet. This leaves us somewhat open to burn decks but we've always got the sideboard for that.

• Locked thread