Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Repair Burst prevents an unlucky shot to the shields/weapons/engines from being converted into a significant amount of hull damage/a life-threatening situation. Well, that's assuming the shot didn't completely kill your weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Just got the fire suppression augment from the space station on fire event.

Good job guys :thumbsup:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Man, I swear I'm getting worse at this the more I play it. Mainly because now I understand how things work and I'm trying to push my luck to get better results. Then I get punished for my hubris.

My main problem though is I have no idea what the gently caress to build. Nearly everything seems important. Everytime I build something I feel the pain of not having something else. On one hand I wanna upgrade my ship so it doesn't get blown to pieces, but if I spend all my scrap on that I can't buy anything from shops! Shops are expensive, and have very limited selection. If I don't buy this drone upgrade now I might not be able to get it later! But if I do buy it and then don't find any good drones I just wasted a ton of money! And I still need better guns, but I need more power to fuel them!

Then all that indecision is rendered pointless when my entire crew gets eaten by space bugs in sector 3.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Internet Kraken posted:

Man, I swear I'm getting worse at this the more I play it. Mainly because now I understand how things work and I'm trying to push my luck to get better results. Then I get punished for my hubris.

My main problem though is I have no idea what the gently caress to build. Nearly everything seems important. Everytime I build something I feel the pain of not having something else. On one hand I wanna upgrade my ship so it doesn't get blown to pieces, but if I spend all my scrap on that I can't buy anything from shops! Shops are expensive, and have very limited selection. If I don't buy this drone upgrade now I might not be able to get it later! But if I do buy it and then don't find any good drones I just wasted a ton of money! And I still need better guns, but I need more power to fuel them!

Then all that indecision is rendered pointless when my entire crew gets eaten by space bugs in sector 3.

Save your scrap until you get to shops, build you ship based on the cards you're dealt.

Edit: well except for the first 100 scrap which I almost always spend on shields level 2 since that increases your chances of survival by a ton.

Cnidaria fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 11, 2014

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I got a Flak II playing the Fed-C for the first time.

Okay let's see, I can dump 160 scrap into a 4-power weapon that takes 20s to charge or I could spend 65 upgrading weapons for an identical weapon that takes only 3-power and charges faster than the artillery with manned weapons. The flak artillery is worse than a flak II, am I missing something here?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sanctum posted:

I got a Flak II playing the Fed-C for the first time.

Okay let's see, I can dump 160 scrap into a 4-power weapon that takes 20s to charge or I could spend 65 upgrading weapons for an identical weapon that takes only 3-power and charges faster than the artillery with manned weapons. The flak artillery is worse than a flak II, am I missing something here?

Yeah, you're missing the fact that it doesn't take up a weapon hard point which means you can have 4 weapons in addition to something that does 7 damage. Exercise volley control so that either the shields are down when it lands, or it takes down all the shields first so that all of your weapons can hit hull.

It's not supposed to be your only offense.

Edit: Or you know, if you get an awesome weapon set, feel free to ignore it completely. That's always been an option on the fed cruisers. Sometimes it's hard to find good weapons, but on this ship you start with a fantastic one.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Jesus, Zoltan C is a hot mess. I just had to quit. I'm not anywhere near dying, but there's those runs where you get to sector 6 and you're like "There's no loving way this is gonna happen."

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Do certain augmentations stack? If I have two automated reloaders on my ship will they both decrease reload time or is one of them useless?

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Internet Kraken posted:

Do certain augmentations stack? If I have two automated reloaders on my ship will they both decrease reload time or is one of them useless?

Reloaders stack. If you get duplicates of something that doesn't (long range scanners, etc) from a mission reward or something, the game will give you scrap instead.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Internet Kraken posted:

Yes they stack. Auto reloaders used to be 15 percent, they got nerfed down to 10 percent specifically because they stack and I think people were wrecking face with them.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
If you can get 2x Reverse Ion it makes you COMPLETELY immune to ion weapons. Get it if you have a chance, the boss battle becomes much easier.

Zoltan C isn't that bad, energy management is tough initially, but as soon as you get 1 or 2 crew/reactor power it is easier. The main issue is the Zoltan in the pilot room- the moment you get a non-zoltan that can occupy that spot, that former zoltan pilot can now power the weapons/engines/drones.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

If you can get 2x Reverse Ion it makes you COMPLETELY immune to ion weapons. Get it if you have a chance, the boss battle becomes much easier.

Zoltan C isn't that bad, energy management is tough initially, but as soon as you get 1 or 2 crew/reactor power it is easier. The main issue is the Zoltan in the pilot room- the moment you get a non-zoltan that can occupy that spot, that former zoltan pilot can now power the weapons/engines/drones.

Yeah, I might have at least made it to the last sector, but it's so susceptible to boarding and I got hit by 3 boarding parties in a row.

Weird thing, I had 3 Zoltans die fighting off the boarders. When the first clone came out, I moved him to start repairs. For some reason, moving him out of the cloning bay took away all the energy (even though it was powered before he got cloned). The other 2 died because the clone bay had no power and I was playing without sound so I didn't hear the awful alarm.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Che Delilas posted:

Yeah, you're missing the fact that it doesn't take up a weapon hard point which means you can have 4 weapons in addition to something that does 7 damage. Exercise volley control so that either the shields are down when it lands, or it takes down all the shields first so that all of your weapons can hit hull.

It's not supposed to be your only offense.

Edit: Or you know, if you get an awesome weapon set, feel free to ignore it completely. That's always been an option on the fed cruisers. Sometimes it's hard to find good weapons, but on this ship you start with a fantastic one.
At least the flak II can be targeted in a general area. Fed-C starts with a tele so naturally my only priority is boarding, and I just found a s. bomb so I think this playthough is pretty much won. Compared to regular artillery, the flak arty just seems like a wasted system slot. I found an ion charger, so I could volley 3 ions and follow-up with a flak arty. I could do that, but why would I try to kill ships with weapons when I have a teleporter and emergency respirators?

Now that the Fed-A/Fed-B can buy cloaks, there's a lot less incentive to bother with boarding since all those ships need to do to win every fight is stay alive long enough. I can't say the same for the flak arty. Obviously starting with a tele and a great crew is a huge plus over the Fed-A/Fed-B, I guess the flak arty being what it is sets things even.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
Do weapons charge faster the less of them there are in the system?

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Maha posted:

Do weapons charge faster the less of them there are in the system?

No, weapons charge faster with autoloaders and crew XP.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

On one hand I wanna upgrade my ship so it doesn't get blown to pieces, but if I spend all my scrap on that I can't buy anything from shops! Shops are expensive, and have very limited selection. If I don't buy this drone upgrade now I might not be able to get it later!

Keep in mind that civilian sectors will give you 2-3 stores, but hostile sectors and nebulae will only give you 1-2. It's pretty hard to make it through a civilian sector without finding at least one store, so as long as you pick a route with civ sectors you can safely postpone new systems. Usually.

You can also get one store in the last sector, but never count on it, and it may be out of the way on the map anyways.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Slug controlled nebulae will have extra stores but they have a chance of having their prices increased.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
My computer sucks rear end. It stalls like crazy in nebulas; the frame rate looks like it goes down by a third or so. Is that just me? I plan my sector jumps around avoiding nebula sectors.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Cnidaria posted:

Save your scrap until you get to shops, build you ship based on the cards you're dealt.

Edit: well except for the first 100 scrap which I almost always spend on shields level 2 since that increases your chances of survival by a ton.

Yeah if you can buy the first shield upgrade in Sector 1 then you will have a few free fights (unless the RNG gods gently caress you with missiles) and can sort of harvest as much as the fleet will allow for a bit.

Bowrrl
Mar 12, 2011
The rebel flagship has been defeated and the galaxy is finally safe! Now we can meet our brave heroes and begin the celebrations!

oh

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Well they will put that ship into a space museum. And the rebel boarder will probably be mistaken for a survivor

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

boredsatellite posted:

Well they will put that ship into a space museum. And the rebel boarder will probably be mistaken for a survivor

He's not surviving in that ship.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Adv. Flak, Flak I, & Flak II with Pre-Loader and Automated Reloader. The Flagship really didn't stand a chance.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.
Just had my first run to the Rebel Flagship in AE, lost to having my O2 hacked and being unable to respond fast enough in between cloaks! Sure it wasn't a great run but that was a real kick in the balls.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I've met the Rebel Flagship three times now, and each time it's destroyed me. I just finished a run as Engi A, the first ship I ever won the game in. It went pretty well; I got a Pre-Ignitor, a Pike Beam, and a Flak I to go with my Ion II, and a couple of drones (including a fire drone). I got through the first two stages with moderate hull damage, but didn't lose any crew or run out of drones or anything, which is pretty decent. That third stage just wrecked me. The instant mind-control, mixed with the boarding party, just locked down half of my ship. I was dead before the second volley. The fact that I had like 5 engies and one human probably contributed.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Misandu posted:

Just had my first run to the Rebel Flagship in AE, lost to having my O2 hacked and being unable to respond fast enough in between cloaks! Sure it wasn't a great run but that was a real kick in the balls.

I haven't ever had to, but can you just jump away if the hacking system hits something lovely and keep trying until it goes for something less critical?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Vargs posted:

I haven't ever had to, but can you just jump away if the hacking system hits something lovely and keep trying until it goes for something less critical?

You can. That said, I consider a second point in O2 completely worth it for the boss fight. Fully powered, it will let you recover from the effects of hacked O2, which is great because it means that's one less system you have to roll the dice on. Also, on phase 2 if you get breach droned in a bad spot, you can just open the doors and crank up the O2 and it will stabilize the room so you can stay in it (can save your run if it hits in piloting, for example). 25 scrap for all that insurance is cheap if you ask me.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Is there ever a reason to keep a medbay over a clonebay? Unless you're really good at shuffling people around to keep them healed,I find a clonebay is just so much more useful overall. A slight skill hit is far easier to take than losing a crewmember, and it supports so many more boarding strategies than a regular medbay does. Plus, if you're overrun by boarders, you can lock a guy in the door room and vent the entire ship, then play as an AI ship for a while as you wait for your crew to respawn.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Inadequately posted:

Is there ever a reason to keep a medbay over a clonebay? Unless you're really good at shuffling people around to keep them healed,I find a clonebay is just so much more useful overall. A slight skill hit is far easier to take than losing a crewmember, and it supports so many more boarding strategies than a regular medbay does. Plus, if you're overrun by boarders, you can lock a guy in the door room and vent the entire ship, then play as an AI ship for a while as you wait for your crew to respawn.
Clone bay is better for boarders but worse for anyone else.

If you're not boarding then a medbay is better at defensive fighting. If you get boarded by six mantis they can scythe through your crew faster than a clone bay can spawn new ones, and then they'll smash the bay and you're hosed. But a medbay will outheal them.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Horrible luck with an Engi A run. I'd already had to flee from one fight in sector 1 because the enemy had an anti-drone drone (in addition to another drone so I couldn't even disable it). But at the end of that sector I find a Vulcan, just floating in space! Just need one weapons upgrade to be able to power it and see what all the fuss is about, so after some light repairs I go about finding the scrap to do that. The very next beacon I arrive at? A mantis trap, where two mantis board as part of the event. The enemy ship doesn't have a teleporter so they can afford an anti-drone drone. And the mantis just took out my pilot.

Creative Bicycle
Apr 19, 2001

I have a hole!

Bowrrl posted:

The rebel flagship has been defeated and the galaxy is finally safe! Now we can meet our brave heroes and begin the celebrations!

oh

Noooooooooooo!

Oh, nm. Can't believe there isn't an achievement for that.

Also, dual pike beam is completely devastating, especially combined with a low cooldown ion weapon.

Creative Bicycle fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Apr 11, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

cock hero flux posted:

Clone bay is better for boarders but worse for anyone else.

If you're not boarding then a medbay is better at defensive fighting. If you get boarded by six mantis they can scythe through your crew faster than a clone bay can spawn new ones, and then they'll smash the bay and you're hosed. But a medbay will outheal them.

Yeah I don't get how you would even deal with boarders without a medbay. My entire strategy when I get boarded is to have my spares (or the least essential crew if I have none) go kick the invaders in their space balls. They pretty much always lose, but I can just have them bail out at the last moment to heal in the medbay. If you keep swapping guys out you can keep the invaders occupied long enough to force them out. If they try to fight you in the medbay you can just laugh as an engi punches a mantis to death.

Granted I imagine the other ships have crews and strategies more varied than what the Kestrel can do. I still haven't beaten the game yet so I'm stuck with that. I think I might have it this time though! In Sector 7 and I have a nice ship set up. Plenty of missiles to dump on the boss, a flak cannon to disrupt shields, and the laser you start with since it rocks. This time I actually managed to buy a hack module and its soooooo good. I've avoided so much damage with timely weapon disruptions.

I fully anticipate my strategy failing horribly because of something I overlooked and watching my ship go up in flames. Again.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Remember not to launch your hacking drone in the first phase of the boss fight before you see where the enemy drone will land. If it hits your weapons or shields, you'll have to counterhack their hacking room.
Also, pause a lot. Don't forget that you can reassign energy as often as you like, to whichever system you need right now, and don't forget to use everything at your disposal.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah I don't get how you would even deal with boarders without a medbay.

You're fine if you've already got a strong boarding team. If you've been sending a few mantises over to gently caress up other ship they'll do fine when someone boards you.

But if you're rolling Engis and Zoltan then you need the constant healing from a medbay to get a leg up over the enemy, who are likely rocks or mantises who can kill any engi one on one. A medbay essentially allows you to make 3 crew totally invincible, which lets you weather any boarding action just fine since they can't kill the crew in the medbay and they can't destroy the medbay. A clone bay can fight off boarders if it's cloning mantises or some other tough boarding crew but if it's spitting out engis and zoltans then they'll be killed and the bay will be destroyed.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Invaders will flee any room if oxygen starts getting low, so if you have a good layout you can kite them around and stall with your guys until they start choking to death. Just leave one guy in the door room to slow them down even more. With a level 2 or 3 cloning bay, if you start venting it and toss a guy in it if they start doing serious damage before low oxygen forces them to flee, you can usually slow them down long enough for your guys to respawn.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Yeah, with a cloning bay my main damage comes from asphyxiation or fire, basically the crew is there to stop the invaders from moving around.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah I don't get how you would even deal with boarders without a medbay. My entire strategy when I get boarded is to have my spares (or the least essential crew if I have none) go kick the invaders in their space balls.

You can deal with boarders quite easily by venting oxygen. I very rarely bother fighting. It goes quicker if you get a bit fancy with it and do things like pre-venting rooms and opening certain doors temporarily. You need upgraded doors for that stuff, but upgrading them is real cheap.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I kind of figured invaders would be smart enough to leave a room if you drain the oxygen from it. Or do you rush level 3 doors to keep them from doing that?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Level 2 doors can work just fine. Drain the oxygen out of their room, and when they finally break the doors down you drain the oxygen from the next room. By the time the invaders reach a system you care about they'll be at half health or worse. Or, if you want to keep boarders from busting up an important system (like oxygen, since you just drained half the air out of your ship), you can vent the room in advance and boarders will pick a different system to go after instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Internet Kraken posted:

I kind of figured invaders would be smart enough to leave a room if you drain the oxygen from it. Or do you rush level 3 doors to keep them from doing that?

Just put a dude in the door room to get a free level 2 upgrade, and then walk your guys in to stop them from beating up the doors. If they die, they get cloned.

• Locked thread