Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

gatz posted:

A few people requested it, so I've decided to show off all 3 endings to this conversation. The first option, persuasion, is not as easy as it seems.

If your humanity is really low, talking to McFly will make your character frenzy and you're forced to kill him. This is the only part I remember where frenzy is triggered through dialogue, which is kind of neat.

TheMcD posted:

Hm? I thought the :wesp: solution to that was a new option that simply allowed you to tell Heather to stay the gently caress indoors which kept her from getting kidnapped, and my last playthrough was with the latest Plus Patch.

This still sounds like a stupid design decision, because it completely undermines the point Troika was trying to make with Heather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
DeusExMachinima, you've just had two posts with spoilers, the one with Heather's outfits (I specifically said in the previous update that I would show them off later), and a goddamn ending to the game (alternate or not, it's still has ending spoilers). Why would you do this? Please edit those out of your posts. The OP clearly says to keep spoilers in tags, but in this case I'm asking you to edit them out entirely because they're so severe. I don't want to have to lock the thread because of this. I don't report people but Jesus Christ this is really the only time I'm considering it. You've been a good contributor to the thread before this. Why do this now?

E: The spoilers are gone now. I hope you don't get probated -- I didn't ask for that. I just asked for them to be removed. I'm sorry if this post sounded too harsh.

gatz fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 2, 2014

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Ah, thought anything went as long as it was linked/tagged. My gently caress up there!

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

If your humanity is really low, talking to McFly will make your character frenzy and you're forced to kill him. This is the only part I remember where frenzy is triggered through dialogue, which is kind of neat.
There's one other spot later on in a forced confrontation from a sidequest where you can dialogue-frenzy. I just completed an entertaining low humanity run. Gods sassing people in Hollywood is fun.

Hollywood isn't a bad hub. Each hub seems to have their own theme. Santa Monica is basically a dilapidated ghetto, Downtown is modern and polished, but it is all window dressing and when you dig beneath the veneer you find that it is just occupied by a higher class of scum. Hollywood is focused on sex and degradation, etc.

Also, the place at the end of this hub is not that bad. Some good and thematic reading in there if you are willing to poke around. I figure most people hate it because they can't find exits/were built almost solely for talking when they first reached it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Look it's an area that requires foreknowledge to not be a pain in the rear end. I won't say anymore but I don't like things that require me to have already played the game in order to not be aggravating.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

DeusExMachinima posted:

Ah, thought anything went as long as it was linked/tagged. My gently caress up there!

No problem. Again, sorry if that post sounded harsh. As the previous update's post time may suggest, I'm running a little low on sleep today.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Does that getting bothered to see the Baron ever escalate to violence, or is it just annoying?

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Glazius posted:

Does that getting bothered to see the Baron ever escalate to violence, or is it just annoying?

Just annoying. I'm sure you can attack "sweeper" if you want to, but I'm not sure if he fights back. A vampire on vampire battle in the streets is a pretty clear masquerade violation.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Shugojin posted:

Look it's an area that requires foreknowledge to not be a pain in the rear end. I won't say anymore but I don't like things that require me to have already played the game in order to not be aggravating.

Not to mention the area fucks you hard if you just happen to be a Ventrue (like Melissa is, and like I was in my first playthrough) - my Toreador specced for combat had an easier time of it, but with my Ventrue the whole thing was just a disaster. That shouldn't be punished as heavily as it is there.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

To move away from talking about future areas in tons of tags, is it possible to use the plus patch with the Steam version of the game? I tried it the other day and Steam refused to launch the game afterward.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

gatz posted:

Just annoying. I'm sure you can attack "sweeper" if you want to, but I'm not sure if he fights back. A vampire on vampire battle in the streets is a pretty clear masquerade violation.

:pseudo:

Where the Camarilla have Sheriffs, Hounds (basically Kindred deputized by the Sheriff to enjoy some of its leeway with the Masquerade), and Scourges (which has fluctuated a bit in the various editions but as of V20 is basically a thinblood/caitiff killer as opposed to the Warden which keeps an eye on people crossing in to the Prince's Domain) to enforce the will of the Prince, Barons have... Sweepers.

There's actually a few different terms for them (Abacus being one) but they basically keep an eye on people moving in and out of the Baron's Domain and do their best to keep the Anarchs informed of what's going on. They lack the aegis of the Traditions to freely lash out too frequently and kind of represent a nifty part of the Anarch philosophy in my mind, where a Baron has to at least pay some lip service to the others in its Domain. You can see some of that survive in to VtR and the Carthian Movement who symbolically vote members not carrying their weight off the island by showing up in Elysium with their arms full of crap and dumping it at the individual's feet. If they can't get enough support from their brothers and sisters to help them carry the stuff out in one load they're -out-.

And Gatz, you might be being a little harsh on Isaac - he's much more corporate than the Brujah at the Last Round are, yes, but the Anarchs have their fair share of both Toreador and Ventrue who act exactly like Isaac do while still supporting the Cause. I can't really touch upon what makes him different/informs his actions without getting in to spoilers but luckily those'll be taken care of soon. Still, needless to say, Isaac's managed to keep the Camarilla -out- of Hollywood which is no easy feat.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Pickled Tink posted:

There's one other spot later on in a forced confrontation from a sidequest where you can dialogue-frenzy. I just completed an entertaining low humanity run. Gods sassing people in Hollywood is fun.

Wait, do the dialogue responses actually change a whole lot just from being low humanity? I never tried that, thought it was just another unused gimmick.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

mortons stork posted:

Wait, do the dialogue responses actually change a whole lot just from being low humanity? I never tried that, thought it was just another unused gimmick.

Yep.
For example, compassionate responses like with the dying homeless man or Hannah are not available with low humanity

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

citybeatnik posted:

And Gatz, you might be being a little harsh on Isaac - he's much more corporate than the Brujah at the Last Round are, yes, but the Anarchs have their fair share of both Toreador and Ventrue who act exactly like Isaac do while still supporting the Cause. I can't really touch upon what makes him different/informs his actions without getting in to spoilers but luckily those'll be taken care of soon. Still, needless to say, Isaac's managed to keep the Camarilla -out- of Hollywood which is no easy feat.

You sound like my Leninist friends: prevent the counter-revolution by becoming the counter-revolution. (It's a joke -- I don't want this thread to turn into a political debate)

Regardless, thank you for the infodump, citybeatnik.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

We also have Therese who refers to herself as Baroness of Santa Monica, and some of the conversations you have with her allude to what you were trying to hit home at.

One conversation late in the game with Therese and Jeanette with the former all but securing herself as Prince of Santa Monica, implying that she's gone over to the Camarilla.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
This is relevant to this thread. (Spoilers because it's funnier if you don't know what this is going to be about until you click the link.) It's hilarious that this congressional candidate would be a VTM LARPer in his spare time, and it's also funny that the people who reported it have no clue what LARP is, thinking that he's some sort of occultist and that "gothic punk" means he is a punk.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 4, 2014

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

WEEDLORDBONERHEGEL posted:

This is relevant to this thread. (Spoilers because it's funnier if you don't know what this is going to be about until you click the link.) It's hilarious that this congressional candidate would be a VTM LARPer in his spare time, and it's also funny that the people who reported it have no clue what LARP is, thinking that he's some sort of occultist and that "gothic punk" means he is a punk.
I also thought this was hilarious. Motherfucker apparently played a Daeva, which is the new World of Darkness (Vampire: the Requiem) equivalent of Toreador.

E: And, more appropriately, a Ventrue.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

DeusExMachinima posted:

Right, so I looked the alt costumes up to make sure my memory was correct. The goth get up is normal actually. [spoiler picture] ridiculously exaggerates her assets, even more than how it is already. Or that might just be :wesp:
There's multiple alt costumes? Are we going to be able to see them all in the LP?

Heck, I'm still kind of surprised for a game and setting as big on the gothic aesthetic as VTM, that the game doesn't allow for more character customization in terms of fashion and clothing.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

There's multiple alt costumes? Are we going to be able to see them all in the LP?

Yes. Sorry about the wait, everybody. I'm busy with long rear end research papers.

Jean Pony
Nov 27, 2007

I binged through this LP in a few days and now I'm left waiting for new episodes like a pleb:( I kinda want to start my own playthrough but repeating so much of the game is meh, how far are we anyway? Very nice presentation gatz, what with the mini-portraits and soundtracks and everything. Looking forward to the continuation!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Jean Pony posted:

I binged through this LP in a few days and now I'm left waiting for new episodes like a pleb:( I kinda want to start my own playthrough but repeating so much of the game is meh, how far are we anyway? Very nice presentation gatz, what with the mini-portraits and soundtracks and everything. Looking forward to the continuation!

We have two hubs left, counting Hollywood since it just started, and then a rather long and extremely linear endgame where I invariably stop playing because I'm already done with all the parts I like.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Shugojin posted:

We have two hubs left, counting Hollywood since it just started, and then a rather long and extremely linear endgame where I invariably stop playing because I'm already done with all the parts I like.

Yeah. Bloodlines is a fun trip, but the ending is a bit under-developed compared to a lot of the fun bits of the hubs.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
The ending of the game is a non-stop orgy of Matrix-style slo-mo gunfights if you pick the best clan. :colbert:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Yeah. Bloodlines is a fun trip, but the ending is a bit under-developed compared to a lot of the fun bits of the hubs.

I find with every game with hubs full of side-quests (off the top of my head, the Deus Ex series and Dragon Age: Origins), those are the bits I'm playing for. The main quest-line is the tedious slog I put up with for more hubs. That's an exaggeration, I do enjoy the main quest stuff, just not nearly as much as the side-quests. For my money, they could drop the main quest and just spend their time making more little side-quests. There doesn't need to be a big over-arching story, just have the game end when you either complete or render uncompletable every quest.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Pvt.Scott posted:

The ending of the game is a non-stop orgy of Matrix-style slo-mo gunfights if you pick the best clan. :colbert:

Or an orgy of blood and violence stemming from a bladed whirlwind going at the speed of light, as it was in my case.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I find with every game with hubs full of side-quests (off the top of my head, the Deus Ex series and Dragon Age: Origins), those are the bits I'm playing for. The main quest-line is the tedious slog I put up with for more hubs. That's an exaggeration, I do enjoy the main quest stuff, just not nearly as much as the side-quests. For my money, they could drop the main quest and just spend their time making more little side-quests. There doesn't need to be a big over-arching story, just have the game end when you either complete or render uncompletable every quest.

The problem with that method is that many players only do the main quest and a few side quests, so time spent on stuff a majority of players may not see is wasted resources. A driving plot line als helps direct and anchor the player. I'm in your camp though. I've played tons of Skyrim but have barely touched the two main quest lines . I just like mashing bandits and finding cool stuff in the woods.

barcoded
Jan 4, 2007

Pvt.Scott posted:

B.. b.. but the Tremere can't take Celerity!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

TheMcD posted:

Or an orgy of blood and violence stemming from a bladed whirlwind going at the speed of light, as it was in my case.

No way. An orgy of blood and violence stemming from a single, implacable, unstoppable, juggernaut of claw-wielding death, in my case. Shoot it all you want; it never stops or even slows down.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

barcoded posted:

B.. b.. but the Tremere can't take Celerity!

For the Tremere it's an orgy of stunlocking one enemy after another and casually walking around the level.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

ulmont posted:

No way. An orgy of blood and violence stemming from a single, implacable, unstoppable, juggernaut of claw-wielding death, in my case. Shoot it all you want; it never stops or even slows down.

Yeah, I turned on invulnerability cheat, too.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

We can agree that the endgame involves some combat.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

So, I just spend some extended time listening to the soundtrack and the Deb of Night show, and I'm not sure if this has been discussed before or not, but I'll just ask anyway:

Deb - Kindred or Kine? The main discussion point for this question comes in the fifth and final part of her show, which we haven't gotten to yet, but still, there's a few minor points worth bringing up in the previous bits, most notably the caller talking about the Final Nights, who directly namedropped a few key words when it comes to Gehenna. Now, is Deb's calm dismissal of that guy the standard radio personality "oh hey, it's another crazy guy, only the fiftieth this evening" routine, or is she specifically playing those supernatural things down to keep the Kine believing that those things are just superstition, when they're actually real as can be?

Personally, I'd say she's a ghoul working with the Nosferatu as part of their intelligence network - after all, disinformation can be just as valuable as actual information, and every once in a while, something interesting comes up they'd want to know about, so you might as well get it right from the source. And while it might be a stretch, note that after that call, she immediately cuts to commercials. Is that because she needs to tell somebody about this? It's worth thinking about, at least, and the theory gains a lot more weight in the final part of the show.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

TheMcD posted:

So, I just spend some extended time listening to the soundtrack and the Deb of Night show, and I'm not sure if this has been discussed before or not, but I'll just ask anyway:

I'll say human just because I find the idea of "hey look, literally every other person is a loving vampire, isn't it exciting" very off-putting.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

TheMcD posted:

Deb - Kindred or Kine?

Now there's an interesting theory. She could well be a Kindred - running interference on all the crazies who want to expose vampires is a valuable job, and a secure (albeit minor) position of status for a young Kindred who isn't ready to try making a serious power play. In general you can pretty much guarantee that someone is behind all the local media, ready to quash masquerade breaches before they happen.

Getting into outright speculation, I'm gonna guess that she's a Nos: Later on we'll meet Imalia, who has never gotten over the fact that she isn't beautiful anymore. Deb might have been turned into a monstrosity, but her voice is as alluring as ever - so radio might be a tempting job, no?

steinrokkan posted:

I'll say human just because I find the idea of "hey look, literally every other person is a loving vampire, isn't it exciting" very off-putting.

This is the World of Darkness, literally every other person really is a loving vampire. Or a ghoul. Or a mage. Or a werewolf. Or a... you get the idea.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
The old joke is that there's really only one regular human in the WoD and everyone is loving terrified because they can't work out what that person actually is.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

This is the World of Darkness. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting some sort of special supernatural snowflake.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Not supernatural is a ten points merit.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

inflatablefish posted:

This is the World of Darkness, literally every other person really is a loving vampire. Or a ghoul. Or a mage. Or a werewolf. Or a... you get the idea.

Zeroisanumber posted:

This is the World of Darkness. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting some sort of special supernatural snowflake.

Angry Lobster posted:

Not supernatural is a ten points merit.

Well, this right here is why I've been unable to get into WoD. Bloodlines got me fired up, but reading the source material proper quickly cooled my enthusiasm.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

steinrokkan posted:

Well, this right here is why I've been unable to get into WoD. Bloodlines got me fired up, but reading the source material proper quickly cooled my enthusiasm.

If it's any consolation, it's very different in the New World of Darkness. Things are much more fragmented, and the supernatural is far less invasive into reality. Personally, I loved the batshit insanity of oWoD, and nWoD doesn't quite hit the spot for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

To be fair, the storyteller is free to take or leave whatever metaplot elements he or she chooses.

• Locked thread