Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

webmeister posted:

I love that in a video designed to show off how great the graphics are, the "raindrop-hitting-ground" effect still only occurs within 15m or so of the camera :laugh:

First thing to come out as a mod for that will be a fix for that issue. And to also make it rain constantly to get that noir feeling going. At least, I can dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

webmeister posted:

Let's be honest though, the sort of person who buys video game inspired clothing probably doesn't go out in public anyway :v:

Not gonna lie, i've got a friend who got the assassins creed hoodie and the mass effect hoodie. Both look really, really good.

E: It probably helps that he has the video game protagonist body. Dude works out like crazy.

Your First Sim
Oct 21, 2008

WHY DID YOU KILL ME

Why does the bag called the "transmitter" have RFID signal blocking? Isn't that the opposite of transmitting?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

sether01 posted:

I dunno, I was able to run crysis 3 nearly maxed out settings on my 770, but txaa absolutely killed performance, like downed my fps from 40ish down to 15-20. At least I think that was the AA option. It looked really nice though!

TXAA is amazing, there's a world of difference between the new inFamous and other PS4 games that use FXAA like Tomb Raider and MGSV: Ground Zeroes. At least, when you're playing it on a 1080p monitor.

There are some artefacts that can be seen in this gallery, like ghosting and sub-pixel lines being broken up, but for the most part it looks like a PC using a really high MSAA setting. I hope the performance hit isn't so bad that developers just use FXAA instead.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Your First Sim posted:

Why does the bag called the "transmitter" have RFID signal blocking? Isn't that the opposite of transmitting?

Because it's used to "transmit" your belongings from location to location!

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

That loving Sned posted:

TXAA is amazing, there's a world of difference between the new inFamous and other PS4 games that use FXAA like Tomb Raider and MGSV: Ground Zeroes. At least, when you're playing it on a 1080p monitor.

There are some artefacts that can be seen in this gallery, like ghosting and sub-pixel lines being broken up, but for the most part it looks like a PC using a really high MSAA setting. I hope the performance hit isn't so bad that developers just use FXAA instead.

That might be because FXAA is a lovely post-processing technique, while TXAA is actually partly multisampling AKA MSAA. You won't see any other part of TXAA than MSAA in stills, in case you actually wanted to show it off.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cantorsdust posted:

I imagine the problem is that processing power would increase by the square of the radius, area and all that.

Not unless they feel the need to simulate raindrops behind the viewer's head. What's the FOV, 120 degrees?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Subjunctive posted:

Not unless they feel the need to simulate raindrops behind the viewer's head. What's the FOV, 120 degrees?

Alright, then it's proportional to the square of the radius. Same thing, really.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

For anyone defending Far Cry 3 - just remember its a game where you shoot sperm arrows.

The gameplay and missions are fun and dynamic, but that story really was head-up-the-rear end awfulness.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Narcissus1916 posted:

For anyone defending Far Cry 3 - just remember its a game where you shoot sperm arrows.

The gameplay and missions are fun and dynamic, but that story really was head-up-the-rear end awfulness.

Oh I need to hear this. Played through it and um... what in the hell are you even talking about?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

During the sex scene it cuts to a magic/drug-induced hallucination where, at the end, you have to shoot a shitton of arrows at a giant monster. Suddenly it cuts back to you both orgasming. I don't know if that's the correct interpretation, but I think that's what they were talking about.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

am0kgonzo posted:

Far Cry 3 was fun and at least not as bland and forgettable as Ubisofts usual fare. But I forgot, oh no "white" and "male".

Fry Cry 3 is a blast to play, that doesn't make the actual story any less cringe inducing. Though, I have to admit, however stupid it was frying a weed field with a flamethrower while Skrillex blared was awesome, I don't care how bad a person it makes me.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Sperm Arrows? What?

The Aphasian posted:

During the sex scene it cuts to a magic/drug-induced hallucination where, at the end, you have to shoot a shitton of arrows at a giant monster. Suddenly it cuts back to you both orgasming. I don't know if that's the correct interpretation, but I think that's what they were talking about.

I'm glad I never noticed that.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Never clear the pirate bases, play it as IED: the game.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Narcissus1916 posted:

There's a reason why the official stand-alone mod, Blood Dragon, is the better game. It's because it never tries to pretend its the Tolstoy of game writing, just of jokes by self-mocking its own terrible feather fetch quests and how sluggish its tutorials are.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 12, 2014

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

It's just so much worse in that FC2 had you able to pick your mercenary out of a range of character types, but then 3 comes along and it's all 'whiny directionless shithead foreigner becomes noble tribal mystic warrior because reasons.' Fuuuuuuck.

e: Ta-tau.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Oh cool, we're back to the "my sci-fi novels about spacetravel are so much better than the plot of this FPS game" disussion.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

SaviourX posted:

It's just so much worse in that FC2 had you able to pick your mercenary out of a range of character types, but then 3 comes along and it's all 'whiny directionless shithead foreigner becomes noble tribal mystic warrior because reasons.' Fuuuuuuck.

e: Ta-tau.

FC3 was doing so well at the start because it was obvious you were being had for a total loving chump and everyone was playing up the "white saviour" thing for the benefit of the rich shithead you were playing as, but the writer totally chickened out of flipping that switch fully.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Just because a game acknowledges that it's own mechanics are unfun bullshit doesn't make those mechanics any less bullshit. Due to crashing issues I played the first 10 min of Blood Dragon like 6-7 times, it's awful.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Stanko-Prussian posted:

FC3 was doing so well at the start because it was obvious you were being had for a total loving chump and everyone was playing up the "white saviour" thing for the benefit of the rich shithead you were playing as, but the writer totally chickened out of flipping that switch fully.

Those sorts of things always make me wonder if there is an earlier script draft that's better. Friend of a friend wrote for Portal 2, and apparently the humor was a fair bit darker at one point.

Mr. Stingly
Sep 1, 2001

Satanic cop-killing henchman with a heart of gold

Stanko-Prussian posted:

I'm 2/3rds through the game and there were so many clues that this was where it was going, but I guess it really does chicken out. All the flashbacks and all the characters seem like they've been made unlikeable on purpose, which is almost never attempted in any kind of media. Most bullshit these days is based line for line on "Save the Cat" which relies on making your protagonist as likable as possible as soon as possible. That's why I thought the story was so great. Citra seems like she's using you. It's a unique experience to play as a doomed fly caught in a spiderweb he can't see because he's too hosed up on all kinds of adrenaline, intravenous drugs, and psychedelics.

That said the sperm arrows is kind of a stretch. What does the flame breath and smoke breath equate to then? Squirting? What about the minions running at you? Rakyat assisting? Not everything is a god drat metaphor.

2) Watch_Dogs is a sandbox game. Games threads are always quick to complain that a Triple AAA title doesn't contain a Best Original Screenplay Oscar, which is idiotic. You'll notice some of the best videogame story telling is done with ZERO exposition of any kind, leaving the details of how the protagonist came to be there and how the world came to be entirely up to the player's imagination. Basically the only way to please an enraged public of nerds is to let them write their own loving story in their heads. Boom, oh my god, this game has the best writing, wow.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Your First Sim posted:

Couldn't you use that bag to shoplift? Aren't most anti-theft tags/stickers FFID things?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Using shielded bags is already a popular way to shoplift.

I don't know if it's the same kind of shielding though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Wow from that webpage it just occurred to me that Aiden is wearing a trenchcoat over a heavy jacket over a sweater with a ~STEALTH SCARF~ covering his face. Dude's gotta be pretty toasty running around in late-summer Chicago.

This is like the time I noticed that Alan Wake wears three jackets, one of which is a heavy coat, in the middle of summer for no reason, and then couldn't stop wondering who was in charge of character design.

edit: I wonder what the binary on the inside of the cap says when you translate it. Probably "Thanks for buying a 34 dollar video game hat, chump".

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 13, 2014

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

CJacobs posted:

Wow from that webpage it just occurred to me that Aiden is wearing a trenchcoat over a heavy jacket over a sweater with a ~STEALTH SCARF~ covering his face. Dude's gotta be pretty toasty running around in late-summer Chicago.

This is like the time I noticed that Alan Wake wears three jackets, one of which is a heavy coat, in the middle of summer for no reason, and then couldn't stop wondering who was in charge of character design.

edit: I wonder what the binary on the inside of the cap says when you translate it. Probably "Thanks for buying a 34 dollar video game hat, chump".

I cant stop cracking up at "Stealth Scarf".

Also i had no idea shielded backpacks were a thing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Their Metal Gear Solid collection also holds such gems as:

STEALTH HOODIE and

FIELD PANTS

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
The coat is pretty nice as replicas go, the deus ex one they did was terrible and looked almost nothing like jensen's sweet coat. They didn't even get the damask pattern in it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

CJacobs posted:

It's actually supposed to be November. People mention that the holidays are "just around the corner," and a lot of people on the street are bundled up.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Wanderer posted:

It's actually supposed to be November. People mention that the holidays are "just around the corner," and a lot of people on the street are bundled up.

Oh, I figured it was closer to fall. That makes more sense then. I was gonna say, I live near Chicago and he'd probably die of a heat stroke if he was wandering around wearing that in the summer/fall! Muh immersion! :downs:

Alan Wake continues to go unexplained.

edit: vvv It does, yes. Fair enough!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 13, 2014

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

CJacobs posted:

Oh, I figured it was closer to fall. That makes more sense then. I was gonna say, I live near Chicago and he'd probably die of a heat stroke if he was wandering around wearing that in the summer/fall! Muh immersion! :downs:

Alan Wake continues to go unexplained.
Alan Wake takes place in western Washington, right? It can get chilly there.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
Apparently the PC version will only use the nvidia ao technique which kinda sucks, that bothers me more than txaa which IMHO still isn't as good as msaa

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
Honestly how hard would it have been to include both HDAO and HBAO implementations.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

JohnSherman posted:

I don't see why it matters. I'm really waiting for the day when people stop caring about whether their fake in-game self renders in 4k, and instead demand that studios focus on making the game itself better. AI characters with more than 4 behaviors or a greater range of things to do in open world games spring to mind.

I don't think gaming will ever care about that again outside of indie titles and unless you look back to the glory days of the 90's.

Well, there are some ways to break out of this bad habbit of the industry, but it still involves having small teams with decent budgets while other teams having overinflated budgets and produce really lovely glory spectacles that are intended to sell to the masses.

Child of Light is one such project that is supposed to benefit from the spectacle of this and Assassin's Creed.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Mr. Stingly posted:

I'm 2/3rds through the game and there were so many clues that this was where it was going, but I guess it really does chicken out. All the flashbacks and all the characters seem like they've been made unlikeable on purpose, which is almost never attempted in any kind of media. Most bullshit these days is based line for line on "Save the Cat" which relies on making your protagonist as likable as possible as soon as possible. That's why I thought the story was so great. Citra seems like she's using you. It's a unique experience to play as a doomed fly caught in a spiderweb he can't see because he's too hosed up on all kinds of adrenaline, intravenous drugs, and psychedelics.

That said the sperm arrows is kind of a stretch. What does the flame breath and smoke breath equate to then? Squirting? What about the minions running at you? Rakyat assisting? Not everything is a god drat metaphor.

Go for the evil ending. It's still not great but it gives signficantl more closer to questions like "what the hell was Citras angle here" yes you are getting played, though maybe not quite in the way you would expect

It brings in problems of it's own, but the good ending is a megahappy fantasy that doesn't fit the rest of the game at all.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Holy hell, did NOT expect to see a Save the Cat reference on a gaming thread. Cheers and condolences.

If I drink enough I might even start quoting Robert McKee if the booze takes hold.

And Far Cry 3's story has individual moments and scenes that work - but the whole thing is incoherent as hell.

At times Brody is delivering "bad rear end" lines straight from the typewriter of a marketing executive, other times there's a semblance of stakes that actually try and subvert expectations, and then there's a whole bunch of tribal nonsense thrown in for good measure.

Videogame writing has improved drastically in just a few short years, but their #1 failing tends to be a lack of coherence.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Holy hell, did NOT expect to see a Save the Cat reference on a gaming thread. Cheers and condolences.

If I drink enough I might even start quoting Robert McKee if the booze takes hold.

And Far Cry 3's story has individual moments and scenes that work - but the whole thing is incoherent as hell.

At times Brody is delivering "bad rear end" lines straight from the typewriter of a marketing executive, other times there's a semblance of stakes that actually try and subvert expectations, and then there's a whole bunch of tribal nonsense thrown in for good measure.

Videogame writing has improved drastically in just a few short years, but their #1 failing tends to be a lack of coherence.

The Buck and knife search sequence was pretty decent. That felt more in line with what the game story should have been. Sadistic rear end in a top hat loving with you to make you do the legwork and get him a prize without pissing off the big boss of the islands by being the one killing his guys. And if you don't do what he says he guts your friend.

I disagree that the bad ending fits better though. I'm sorry but using someone for a goal would work. Using him for his seed is just loving stupid and narcissistic. "My badassness will live on in Citra's womb" is dumb as hell if you imagine she's going to live on to rule the island with her half white half native half god-warrior child.

Getting the gently caress out of there and leaving the crazy people to try to salvage normal life and a job your girlfriend got for you after killing several hundred people with a machete seems much more appropriate.

I just wish they had written it so the tribe is telling Jason he's a badass and laughing at him for maybe believing it and Jason never feels like it. I would have written that "Remember you swim meet you won? Killing feels like winning" scene to say Jason feels like he's the guy in second place, and either he swims (kills) and still loses or he lets himself drown. Write the rest of the game in line with that. Make Jason feel like he's becoming a monster and hate it, but not know what else to do and see the lie of the islanders that he's not a badass , he's just stuck in their windmill of crazy and all he wants is to get off the island with his friends as fast as possible so he can stop killing people.

That kind of narrative worked well in spec Ops, it could have worked here too.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 14, 2014

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

TheSpiritFox posted:

The Buck and knife search sequence was pretty decent. That felt more in line with what the game story should have been. Sadistic rear end in a top hat loving with you to make you do the legwork and get him a prize without pissing off the big boss of the islands by being the one killing his guys. And if you don't do what he says he guts your friend.

I disagree that the bad ending fits better though. I'm sorry but using someone for a goal would work. Using him for his seed is just loving stupid and narcissistic. "My badassness will live on in Citra's womb" is dumb as hell if you imagine she's going to live on to rule the island with her half white half native half god-warrior child.

Getting the gently caress out of there and leaving the crazy people to try to salvage normal life and a job your girlfriend got for you after killing several hundred people with a machete seems much more appropriate.

I just wish they had written it so the tribe is telling Jason he's a badass and laughing at him for maybe believing it and Jason never feels like it. I would have written that "Remember you swim meet you won? Killing feels like winning" scene to say Jason feels like he's the guy in second place, and either he swims (kills) and still loses or he lets himself drown. Write the rest of the game in line with that. Make Jason feel like he's becoming a monster and hate it, but not know what else to do and see the lie of the islanders that he's not a badass , he's just stuck in their windmill of crazy and all he wants is to get off the island with his friends as fast as possible so he can stop killing people.

That kind of narrative worked well in spec Ops, it could have worked here too.

Getting the gently caress out of their is happier, but given that the entire game is Jason digging himself the biggest moral and situation hole he possibly can it seems entirely out of place to get a mega happy ending where he just walks away from it

As for her ruling the island with her god warrior child - really? I would have said that my actuall interpretation of the game skewed a little closer to your prefered interpretation. There is no magic. Jason is an idiot. Citra is an idiot. Dennis is an idiot.

The only thing special about jason is that he is good at killing and finds the killing and the adulation intoxicating. All through the game he's giving up on being a decent human a little bit at a time because the power trip he's on and the hero worship he's receiving (this all applies to the player too) is appealing to him. Then towards the end he gets that little moment with his brother where he is reminded of what he was and how things were but nope, he's gone too far down the rabbit hole to give it up, he's not the person he was at the start of the game, he's got a taste for blood and a hot stereotype to bang. Theres only one place it can end, and the evil ending takes you there (albeit in a really clumsy way).

Just jumping off and going naaaaaaaaaaaah and going home? just really out of place. He didn't hate it. He didn't hate the killing.He really liked it (Because he is a player standin and you are having fun) and it's very hard to see how he can just go fuckin nope and just decide not to be a killer loon.

I don't think that means that the ending is particularly great. The games far too tonally inconsistent for that, it feels like hours of content was cut out (This is every open world game) and yeah, the magic spunk plot is pretty dumb even if it is the delusions of a loon.

It's also definately not quite willing to go far enough in condemning the player like Specops did. Maybe if it did the happy ending would actually fit better, if Jason was reeling from what he did him bailing would work, but as it is, Jasons having a whale of a time from at least the 1/3rd mark.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

There are some of us who haven't played FC3 and are not interested in your spoiler-heavy grade school analysis of its plot in this thread about a completely different game.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Has it been said if we can change the guy's clothes at all? From what I've read it seems like you can't, which is sort of disappointing.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Capntastic posted:

Has it been said if we can change the guy's clothes at all? From what I've read it seems like you can't, which is sort of disappointing.

They have alternate outfit DLC, so I'd guess it'll be a few pre-set outfits like Assassin's Creed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Skyscraper posted:

They have alternate outfit DLC, so I'd guess it'll be a few pre-set outfits like Assassin's Creed.

Yeah, and from what I've seen they all seem to share the same model, so if there are any outfits that have you not wearing a baseball cap and coat of whatever color, we haven't seen them yet.

• Locked thread