Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

No one is building a constructed centaur deck.

It's not aimed at competitive constructed either, it's aimed at more casual players. I guarantee you there's some people out there who are very excited by getting a lord for their centaur deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Korak posted:

Gotta love when lord cards give mutavault a boost. Like running Galerider Sliver in Mono U to fly over ground blockers.

Mutavault really is The Cutest Card without actually trying to be cute.

Assemble a deck, realize your cards synergize with Mutavault completely unintentionally, get really cute with it.

"My Mutavaults are 4/4s because I have two Master of Waves out!"

"Noooo don't Eye Gouge my Mutavault :("

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Centaur could see some play since it's on a good curve and there are certainly some decent ones out there. The main issue with lords is always that the other pieces of the deck need to work well without the lord.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Elyv posted:

It's a rare, it's not aimed at limited.

You'd be correct to say it's not aimed at limited as much as commons or uncommons, but non-mythic rares do show up often enough to be limited-relevant. This is especially true with rares that only fit into a specific archetype, as they're more likely to wheel/not be moneydrafted and land in the archetype where they do well.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Very strange packaging

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

Mutavault really is The Cutest Card without actually trying to be cute.

Assemble a deck, realize your cards synergize with Mutavault completely unintentionally, get really cute with it.

"My Mutavaults are 4/4s because I have two Master of Waves out!"

"Noooo don't Eye Gouge my Mutavault :("

I am firmly convinced that I want Mutavault to be like BOP once was, a perennial coreset staple. It plays well in so many different archetypes, filling different roles, everyone wants to play with it, using Mutavault is always fun. It gives incentives for 2 color decks, while still allowing for crazy mana bases. And it has cute interactions with EVERYTHING.

Its just a sweet card that I always want around.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Snacksmaniac posted:

Very strange packaging

Well it's a set designed to be drafted so I guess that would be the point.

C-Euro posted:

Why was this card not in Odyssey block? Not that it would have made them much more viable back then.

Because this is the year Two Thousand and Fourteen and WotC makes slightly better design decisions now?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Rogue 7 posted:

Haven't seen this guy yet. The flavor text says, roughly,
"The celebrated warchiefs of Clan Pheres fight with the strength of minotaurs and the wisdom of sphinxes."

Why was this card not in Odyssey block? Not that it would have made them much more viable back then.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Elyv posted:

It's not aimed at competitive constructed either, it's aimed at more casual players. I guarantee you there's some people out there who are very excited by getting a lord for their centaur deck.

Dude who posted it on my Facebook feed was going nuts, in fact.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Count Bleck posted:

Well it's a set designed to be drafted so I guess that would be the point.
No kidding. :bravo:

I always get pumped for new tribal cards no matter how bad they are. Bring on the centaur lord (and give us another minotaur).

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like Eye Gouge is poorly flavored in that it doesn't destroy Evil Eye of Orms-By-Gore or Evil Eye of Urborg.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Zoness posted:

I feel like Eye Gouge is poorly flavored in that it doesn't destroy Evil Eye of Orms-By-Gore or Evil Eye of Urborg.

Well at that point any damage they take is eye gouging so they're just a little more used to it is all.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

C-Euro posted:

Because it doesn't cost 6 mana and have a stupid drawback, probably.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

KidDynamite posted:

I like how SCG, Channel Fireball, and 0 vendors on TCG have a price listed for Mana Confluence. Sky's the limit here boys. This thing is going to hit stupid high prices.

Troll and toad has for 17.99 right now which seems completely redonkulous to me be w/e.

Korak posted:

Centaur could see some play since it's on a good curve and there are certainly some decent ones out there. The main issue with lords is always that the other pieces of the deck need to work well without the lord.

The sales solicitation PDF unfortunatly doesn't spoil anything else. http://www.wizards.com/ContentResources/Wizards/Sales/Solicitations/2014_4_8_Conspiracyprod_Solicitation_en_US.pdf

And this looks like a new M15 card form Duels 2015.

Necromancer's Assistant 2B
Creature - Zombie

When Necromancer's Assistant enters the battlefield, put the top three cards of your library into your graveyard.
Zombies and necromancers agree, easy access to brains is preferred.
3/1

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Bugsy posted:

Troll and toad has for 17.99 right now which seems completely redonkulous to me be w/e.

Just think about what manabases will look like post-rotation if there's no duals in the core set again. It's already replacing city of brass in every deck that plays that, and it's poised to be in every standard deck for a year.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

SCG has sold out at $19.99 on mana confluence. gently caress.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Stab posted:

Just think about what manabases will look like post-rotation if there's no duals in the core set again. It's already replacing city of brass in every deck that plays that, and it's poised to be in every standard deck for a year.

Theoretically, if the modern Ad Nauseam deck played City of Brass, it would want City of Brass over Mana Confluence. On the other hand, it does play Urborg too, and Urborg works better with Mana Confluence than with City of Brass.

But yes, as long as City of Brass exists in the same format as Rishadan Port and without decks that can survive at negative life Mana Confluence is probably better.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Entropic posted:

I love how everything is so drat wordy on French cards. I picked up some French DGM and Teysa is "Teysa, Plenipotentiare des Fantomes". They manage to have longer text than the German ones somehow.

German Hammer of Purphoros creates farblosen Verzauberungartifaktkreaturenspielsteins.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

KidDynamite posted:

SCG has sold out at $19.99 on mana confluence. gently caress.

https://www.mtgmadness.com/sets/Journey%20into%20Nyx%20Presale%20Ships%205.5/?page=2 ?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Fortunately, it's 36 Conspiracy boosters a box. The question is do I get two or three for fun drafting times?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sorry, but Spanish Lifebane Zombie is the best.

:allears:

I legit cannot justify buying a playset of these for 60 bucks.

Though I probably should since it's Better Brass City.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

I legit cannot justify buying a playset of these for 60 bucks.

Though I probably should since it's Better Brass City.

It's a regular rare from a small set that has a cheap analogue in eternal formats or just better cards (reflecting pool, etc). It'll be a little bonkers in standard, but its 2-year cieling is probably around $4

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm going to try getting a foil playset for my ANT/TES deck to replace gemstone mines. Here's to hoping I open regular ones and a non-EDH player gets a foil one at the prerelease!

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I feel like I shouldn't go too nuts trying to get mana confluence just yet, there's still two dual lands for each color combination which is plenty for two color decks. I wonder if mana confluence is going to be their replacement for shocklands rotating or if they'll add some other mana fixing in the fall set.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Count Bleck posted:

Sorry, but Spanish Lifebane Zombie is the best.

:allears:
I don't get it. Seems like a pretty literal translation.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Guerrero Zombie sounds like the kind of pro-wrestler I can support

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I just wonder if it'll be enough to enable 3-color aggro. It's more flexible than Cavern of Souls was. I feel like the other pieces aren't really there though. What would you do right now that'd be as explosive as Champion of the Parish into Burning Tree + Lightning Mauler was?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

I just wonder if it'll be enough to enable 3-color aggro. It's more flexible than Cavern of Souls was. I feel like the other pieces aren't really there though. What would you do right now that'd be as explosive as Champion of the Parish into Burning Tree + Lightning Mauler was?

To be fair, Soulbond was nutty.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Veyrall posted:

Guerrero Zombie sounds like the kind of pro-wrestler I can support

Someone buy one, slap a luchador costume on it, and post it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Count Bleck posted:

Only on hasty 2-drops when there's a dearth of 1-mana instant-speed removal. Lightning Mauler isn't a thing in Modern aggro decks because Lightning Bolt and Path to Exile exist. In general Soulbond was a pretty fair mechanic outside AVR limited because it was so easy to disrupt.

What really made Naya Blitz tick was Champion of the Parish, Burning-Tree Emissary, and the mana base to actually run them in the same deck.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

Soulbond was a fun mechanic for limited wasted in a bad set for limited.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The price is right, I'd pre-order for $15 in a heartbeat (any deck in Standard running more than one color will want these for the next year and a half)....but gently caress that site's shipping options are godawful. I don't feel like waiting a month after the release to get them, it's worth paying a bit more later on to avoid that problem.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Silverblade Paladin and Wolfir Silverheart were definitely constructed cards, too.

I think 3 cards for a mechanic making an impact on Standard isn't bad.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

BaronVonVaderham posted:

The price is right, I'd pre-order for $15 in a heartbeat (any deck in Standard running more than one color will want these for the next year and a half)....but gently caress that site's shipping options are godawful. I don't feel like waiting a month after the release to get them, it's worth paying a bit more later on to avoid that problem.

I don't think 2-color decks would opt in on City of Gas but 3-color ones I could see using it. If there are no untapped dual lands I could see Mana Confluence being a real choice for 2-color decks but always paying 1 life to generate mana is a real cost for a control deck in contrast to the painlands of old (Adarkar Wastes, Shivan Reef, etc).

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Zoness posted:

I don't think 2-color decks would opt in on City of Gas but 3-color ones I could see using it. If there are no untapped dual lands I could see Mana Confluence being a real choice for 2-color decks but always paying 1 life to generate mana is a real cost for a control deck in contrast to the painlands of old (Adarkar Wastes, Shivan Reef, etc).

I didn't say it would be a 4-of, but I could see something like Selesnya, which typically has an atrocious manabase, running them in place of Guildgates. Naturally anything 3+ colors will run a full set. Either way, it's something you want a playset of in your binder while it's in Standard.

It does make me wonder what the rare lands in the next block will be if we have this.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
I like the idea of making Garruk colorless, hopefully it means they'll give colourless some form of identity that isn't "it's made of metal".

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

RubberJohnny posted:

I like the idea of making Garruk colorless, hopefully it means they'll give colourless some form of identity that isn't "it's made of metal".

I wasn't aware that the Eldrazi were made of metal.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

RubberJohnny posted:

Another Tron plainswalker would be nice...

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zoness posted:

It's Godmetal.

Alternatively, Tentaclemetal

mcmagic posted:

Another Tron plainswalker would be nice...

Something that bothers me is why does nobody call Tron by it's full name?

It's like somebody walks up and you're having a magic conversation and they ask you what deck you play in modern.

You pull out a single of each of the Urza lands and bellow URZATROOOON! in the hammiest voice you can muster. Who doesn't do that? :shobon:

TheKingofSprings posted:

Someday I hope they make an Eldrazi planeswalker.

Probably won't happen because we get to play chase the Aeons Torn around the Multiverse whilst they gently caress everything over.

Then we go back to Zendikar and it's not that loving bad compared to Eldrazi-Infested Innistrad.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zoness posted:

Someday I hope they make an Eldrazi planeswalker.

• Locked thread