Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If she did ask, Obama should have ripped up the request anyway and said "You can resign after we hold the senate"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

greatn posted:

If she did ask, Obama should have ripped up the request anyway and said "You can resign after we hold the senate"

This is the right answer.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

joeburz posted:

Sanders isn't pulling any punches now, god drat.

http://www.sanders.senate.gov/koch-brothers

The problem I have about this is that the platform was 34 years ago. I'd feel like a fool if I was trying to castigate the Kochs about this since I don't know how their 'platform' correlates today. Do they want the same things? Have they changed their mind?

Unfortunately we'll never know for certain since they are in the enviable position to exert power on the political process without having to answer to anyone.

The best anyone can do is just infer what their intentions are by donations or their speaking engagements, or funds in their name.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

The best anyone can do is just infer what their intentions are by donations or their speaking engagements, or funds in their name.

Which say their intentions are pretty much the same thing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Cheekio posted:

This is the right answer.

No one is changing their vote, or plans TO vote because of her resigning, or because of the ACA in general. It's already baked in the cake.

Malmesbury Monster
Nov 5, 2011

So long as we're talking about budgets, I just finished reading through the Congressional Progressive Caucus's "Better Off Budget" they're pitching as a not-evil alternative to Paul Ryan and the Republican caucus. Comparing it with Ryan's budget is really illustrative of the differences between Republican and Democratic thought processes. The "Path to Prosperity" is 75 percent prose repetition of Republican talking points and 25 percent vague policy recommendations split evenly between platitudes and cuts, all couched in word salad. For instance, find the policy recommendation in this lovely paragraph!

Paul Ryan posted:

Federal intervention in higher education should increasingly be focused not solely on financial aid, but on policies that maximize innovation and ensure a robust menu of institutional options from which students and their families can choose. Such policies should include reexamining the data made available to students to make certain they are armed with information that will assist them in making their postsecondary decisions. Additionally, the federal government should act to remove regulatory barriers in higher education that restrict flexibility and innovative teaching, particularly as it relates to non-traditional models such as online coursework.

To be fair to Ryan, he sometimes zooms in on an actual policy, but it is always cutting spending followed by a lengthy rationale for why this is totally necessary and a sacrifice that needs to be made.

Compare and contrast with the CPC budget, which provides very specific policy recommendations and is significantly more concise. See:

The CPC posted:

Public Works and Education – establishes an expansive direct hire jobs program by adopting Representative Jan Schakowsky’s Emergency Jobs to Restore the American Dream Act. Her plan includes the Park Improvement Corps for youth to restore our public lands, the Student Jobs Corps to provide work study positions to college students, and the Child Development Corps to provide jobs in early childhood development, among others. Priority hiring is given to veterans and the unemployed. Our budget also includes $100 billion in stimulus for teachers and schools at a time when school funding in most states is flat or falling. This provides desperately needed funding to rehire hundreds of thousands teachers that have been laid off and for school construction and modernization.

It also lays out all of its proposals at the end in a handy chart, where Ryan's budget has a bunch of shiny debt graphs and more Republican talking points. But hey, remember. Republicans are serious policy wonks and liberals don't run the numbers.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Doctor Butts posted:

The problem I have about this is that the platform was 34 years ago. I'd feel like a fool if I was trying to castigate the Kochs about this since I don't know how their 'platform' correlates today. Do they want the same things? Have they changed their mind?

Most people and initiatives related to the Kochs are still adhering fairly closely to this. Abolition of Medicare/Medicaid and other government-funded forms of risk management, the EPA and FDA, campaign finance laws...

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Malmesbury Monster posted:

So long as we're talking about budgets, I just finished reading through the Congressional Progressive Caucus's "Better Off Budget" they're pitching as a not-evil alternative to Paul Ryan and the Republican caucus. Comparing it with Ryan's budget is really illustrative of the differences between Republican and Democratic thought processes. The "Path to Prosperity" is 75 percent prose repetition of Republican talking points and 25 percent vague policy recommendations split evenly between platitudes and cuts, all couched in word salad. For instance, find the policy recommendation in this lovely paragraph!

To be fair to Ryan, he sometimes zooms in on an actual policy, but it is always cutting spending followed by a lengthy rationale for why this is totally necessary and a sacrifice that needs to be made.

Compare and contrast with the CPC budget, which provides very specific policy recommendations and is significantly more concise. See:

It also lays out all of its proposals at the end in a handy chart, where Ryan's budget has a bunch of shiny debt graphs and more Republican talking points. But hey, remember. Republicans are serious policy wonks and liberals don't run the numbers.

I think the greatest lie that was allowed to fester until it became unacceptably true is that Republicans are the "fiscally intelligent" party. I wouldn't trust them to manage a yard sale let alone be in charge of the largest economy in the world.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Radish posted:

I think the greatest lie that was allowed to fester until it became unacceptably true is that Republicans are the "fiscally intelligent" party. I wouldn't trust them to manage a yard sale let alone be in charge of the largest economy in the world.

That's because the average American's knowledge of fiscal intelligence is "don't spend too much money" and that becomes the guiding tenet for all their beliefs about money.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

zoux posted:

That's because the average American's knowledge of fiscal intelligence is "don't spend too much money" and that becomes the guiding tenet for all their beliefs about money.

Yeah that's exactly it, but even then they can't even do that right as evidenced by their lack of restraint in spending money on dumb rear end stuff during the Bush years.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Radish posted:

Yeah that's exactly it, but even then they can't even do that right as evidenced by their lack of restraint in spending money on dumb rear end stuff during the Bush years.

I'm sorry the who years?

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

zoux posted:

Well, we have no idea whether she was or not. They never say they were asked to resign.

Except we do, unless you're considering the Chief of Staff to be blatantly lying.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/11/us/politics/sebelius-resigning-as-health-secretary.html?_r=0

Malmesbury Monster
Nov 5, 2011

zoux posted:

Yeah, the only thing that's kept me from pushing the CPC budget real hard to conservative friends is that it does show a deficit increase over 10 years. I think that's because it's just calculated on revenue/expenditure increasing at a steady rate instead of promising a miraculous growth rate ala Ryan, but I'm not nearly confident enough in my financial analysis to say that for certain. I'm okay with it either way because it's spending money on people and not throwing at rich people/defense contractors, but the people I talk with care more about debt as a percentage of GDP than about dodging starving people in the street, so it wouldn't make a big impact.

double ed: misread, sorry.

Malmesbury Monster fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 11, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Yeah, the only thing that's kept me from pushing the CPC budget real hard to conservative friends is that it does show a deficit increase over 10 years. I think that's because it's just calculated on revenue/expenditure increasing at a steady rate instead of promising a miraculous growth rate ala Ryan, but I'm not nearly confident enough in my financial analysis to say that for certain. I'm okay with it either way because it's spending money on people and not throwing at rich people/defense contractors, but the people I talk with care more about debt as a percentage of GDP than about dodging starving people in the street, so it wouldn't make a big impact.

You should start by telling them that the debt and deficit is absolutely meaningless!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Try to convince your conservative friends that debt isn't something that needs to be worried about because the US is not a family. Here's a video with bright colors that might hold their attention.
http://www.vox.com/2014/3/28/5559052/stop-freaking-out-about-the-debt

joeburz posted:

Except we do, unless you're considering the Chief of Staff to be blatantly lying.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/11/us/politics/sebelius-resigning-as-health-secretary.html?_r=0

No I would never ever expect someone in government to tell a lie in order to preserve political face.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

ed: ^^^ What are you talking about? That article is really clear that Sebelius tendered her resignation herself.

I know that, hence me linking the article to prove my point from a previous post.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Monkey Fracas posted:

The constant banging on the Austerity Drum by the GOP might carry a bit more weight if it actually worked.

Like if it killed a bunch of elderly people and cursed the poor to never leave their socioeconomic class buuuuut actually helped us become strong economically as a country it would at least be a choice. A lovely choice, but a choice.

As is it's the plan where we enact sociopathic policies that do not actually provide any benefit to us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_4J4uor3JE

Maybe Obama should come out against killing all the poors to get the GOP to be more explicit in their hate.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

zoux posted:

No I would never ever expect someone in government to tell a lie in order to preserve political face.

Well until there is a shred of evidence to the contrary you don't have much of a leg to stand on.

Malmesbury Monster
Nov 5, 2011

zoux posted:

Try to convince your conservative friends that debt isn't something that needs to be worried about because the US is not a family. Here's a video with bright colors that might hold their attention.
http://www.vox.com/2014/3/28/5559052/stop-freaking-out-about-the-debt

That is a really great resource. Thanks!

joeburz posted:

I know that, hence me linking the article to prove my point from a previous post.

I realized my error right before you posted this. Mea culpa.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Burwell may be a really good replacement. If anyone can convince the insurance industry it is in their best medium and long term fiscal interests to keep premium rates low for at least a year or two in order to hook more young people it would be an OMB fiscal wonk, and she'll be directly negotiating with them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

joeburz posted:

Well until there is a shred of evidence to the contrary you don't have much of a leg to stand on.

I'm not standing on a leg I'm just saying it's extremely common practice to let an official resign rather than firing them. See also leaving public office for "family reasons".

That is a really great resource. Thanks!

Here's a better one but it's got words!
http://scholarship.law.gwu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1025&context=faculty_publications

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

zoux posted:

I'm sorry the who years?

Egg?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
It shows remarkable naivete on Obama's part to think that Kathleen Sebelius's resignation will somehow quell the insane hate-on the Republicans have for Obamacare. The guy still clings to the idea he can be post-partisan, when in fact his skin color basically prevents the entire Republican Party from acting in a sane, courteous, respectful manner when talking about him.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Alter Ego posted:

It shows remarkable naivete on Obama's part to think that Kathleen Sebelius's resignation will somehow quell the insane hate-on the Republicans have for Obamacare. The guy still clings to the idea he can be post-partisan, when in fact his skin color basically prevents the entire Republican Party from acting in a sane, courteous, respectful manner when talking about him.

I can't wait for the "ex-President who is also now a crotchety old guy" Obama years.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alter Ego posted:

If Sebelius remained HHS Secy, then the House congressional committees could repeatedly call her up and pound over and over again on the rollout. They can't do that with a new person. The new HHS Secy is going to get called before Congress a whole bunch but she can just say "welp I wasn't here for that but it's working pretty baller now."

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

zoux posted:

I'm not standing on a leg I'm just saying it's extremely common practice to let an official resign rather than firing them. See also leaving public office for "family reasons".

Here's a better one but it's got words!
http://scholarship.law.gwu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1025&context=faculty_publications

From her perspective, this is the perfect time to get the gently caress out of a terrible job to have. Her role, although target of much political theatre backlash, has been pretty much vindicated by the overall success w/r/t signup targets and the improvements after a disastrous roll-out. It's obvious she was frustrated with the position and related actors on the hill for quite some time and best bet is that she was wanting out before 2014 even hit.

zoux posted:

If Sebelius remained HHS Secy, then the House congressional committees could repeatedly call her up and pound over and over again on the rollout. They can't do that with a new person. The new HHS Secy is going to get called before Congress a whole bunch but she can just say "welp I wasn't here for that but it's working pretty baller now."

And yes it is also conveniently a perfect time for the current administration to push a change in HHS leadership, but you need to remember that Kathleen Sebelius was extremely successful prior to this as a politician and I think we can afford her the benefit of the doubt when it comes to making a smart political move like this.

esto es malo fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 11, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Reminder that the entire austerity movement is predicated on an Excel error and bad statistical analysis.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Alter Ego posted:

Remember when they tried to appease Britebart by firing Sherley Sharrod?

zoux posted:

Reminder that the entire austerity movement is predicated on an Excel error and bad statistical analysis.

LOL you're a silly fellow if you think the austerity movement is based on any kind of factual basis other than the need for a rational to destroy government services and transfer more wealth to the oligarchs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well perhaps I should've said "justified by".

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

zoux posted:

Well perhaps I should've said "justified by".

Between Ryan's" budget" and the European excel issue, I'm convinced that an intern build a magic_hat() plug in or that they're guessing that rand() means that you pass a parameter and Ayn Rand passes judgement from beyond the grave.

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.

greatn posted:

Obama's pretty dumb asking for Sebellius resignation at this time. Now every headline is "Sebellius resigns over Obamacare troubles and website woes" when the website is working loving fine and they surpassed their sign up goals by over half a million and lowered the god drat uninsurance rate a ton.

drat I figured it would just be sites like the WSJ but even the NY Times has the headline "Sebelius Resigns After Troubles Over Health Site".

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Incest: sometimes voluntary. Also, Anthony Kennedy- possible homosexual.

quote:

Delegate Robert G. Marshall has said that disabled children can be God’s vengeance against women who have had abortions. He has described incest as sometimes voluntary, and he has questioned the sexuality of a Supreme Court justice who has favored marriage equality.

But unlike W. Todd Akin, whose offhanded reference to “legitimate rape” cost the GOP a winnable Senate seat from Missouri in 2012, Mr. Marshall is unbowed over his history of controversial rhetoric as he seeks a seat in Congress representing Northern Virginia.

“I don’t care. I mean, if I say something in public, I say it in public,” Mr. Marshall said Thursday.

quote:

Speaking before a pro-life group last year, Mr. Marshall offered a long and detailed argument that Justice Anthony M. Kennedy’s majority opinion in the U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling on same-sex marriage was unsympathetic to social conservatives.

But it was the statement with which he capped his remarks that stood out.

“For all I know, Kennedy’s a homosexual,” he said. “You can’t be doing some of these things without this kind of conclusion.”

Like many of his other comments, Mr. Marshall stands by it.

“Clearly, some of the people who are making these decisions must be rationalizing their own bad behavior,” he said Thursday.

quote:

The author of a 1989 Boston Globe column asked him about his opposition to all abortion — even in cases of rape, incest, and to save the life of the mother. Mr. Marshall, then the research director for the American Life League, posed a baffling question of his own in response.

“What if incest is voluntary?” Mr. Marshall said. “Sometimes it is.”

Mr. Marshall confirmed the stance Thursday, but he said the author was missing the point and that the position is based on what is written in law.

“It doesn’t make it right or legal,” he said. “It just gives the facts.”

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

comes along bort posted:

Incest: sometimes voluntary. Also, Anthony Kennedy- possible homosexual.

I'm hoping we can get him to cut a commercial like the crazy rear end ones we saw in 2010

"I'm not a Lannister... I'm you"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm eager for his further clarification on the issue.

"Listen I'm just sayin some people have sexy sisters and like, ya know, if something happened, maybe after a couple glasses of wine at a family reunion, I wouldn't judge em, and I don't think the law should either. Anyway I gotta go my family reunion is this weekend and I wanna show up early."

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
"Sometimes your own daughter agrees to blow you. Just saying."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ginsburg must be secretly black, there's no other reason she could support the Voting Rights Act.

Take off the makeup, Ginsburg!

No one has ever seen Breyer naked in public. Is it modesty? Or is Breyer too afraid to show us whether there's a penis or vagina under there? What's Breyer hiding? :freep:

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.
Being extremely generous, I can imagine he's talking about people who choose to gently caress their cousins, and then want to get an abortion if they end up with a fetus that has genetic disorders. But, really he's likely just a horrible rear end in a top hat.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Yeah, sometimes incest is voluntary. Not sure what that has to do with anything tho...

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Another plan to oust Boehner is forming. It is incompetent as all hell again, but it is forming

http://m.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/04/house-conservatives-are-plotting-a-mutiny-against-john-boehner/360463/

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/117331/john-boehners-speakership-safe-until-credible-challenger-emerges

http://hotair.com/archives/2014/04/10/report-40-50-house-conservatives-plotting-to-oust-boehner-as-speaker-this-fall/

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2014-04-10/is-john-boehner-history

http://theweek.com/article/index/259780/why-house-conservatives-will-never-topple-john-boehner

Basically they watched House of Cards and want to try that as they pretend to be adults

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

BUSH 2112 posted:

Being extremely generous, I can imagine he's talking about people who choose to gently caress their cousins, and then want to get an abortion if they end up with a fetus that has genetic disorders. But, really he's likely just a horrible rear end in a top hat.

Except he's using "but as an adult, loving your adult cousin is a choice" as an argument to force underage girls to bear the children of their rapist fathers or uncles.

• Locked thread