Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

That's a good point about the DSUs. Maybe I can make two to start, one for cobble and one for dirt, then turn off the ore* oredict filter on my digiminer so it gets literally everything.

StrikeStrip the Earth!

New question, what do people actually like about Thaumcraft? I've found it nothing more than an irritating pain in the rear end, frankly. I just wanted to do the Palpatine thing :(

The Boots of the Traveler are pretty good and tend not to be rendered redundant by anything but MMMPS. The Thaumostatic Harness is good too if you don't have other flight options. Golems can be handy if there's no other way to perform a task, like automatic farms when MFR isn't available. The Focus of Equal Trade is really good for aiding in construction work. The Infernal Furnace can be used as either a completely free furnace or a very efficient fast furnace. Infusion Enchanting is a very easy way to enchant stuff. The Arcane Bore is a viable form of automatic mining. The Hand Mirror can be used as a one-way ender pouch I guess though I've never used it. The Portable Hole focus is really useful and unique.

The various attack wands aren't really that great and the focus of excavation is only really good at removing dirt and sand... the advanced tools are usually rendered redundant by other mods, but if you don't have better weapons the Sword of the Zephyr is pretty good. If you don't have Tcon the Pickaxe of the Core is really good. Similarly if you don't have treecapitator or Tcon the Axe of the Stream is really good. The shovel is also rendered redundant by Tcon. The Hoe is actually fairly useless now since silverwoods will grow without it. Brains in jars are good for collecting exp from an automated mob farm if you don't have another way of doing so...

Okay so basically Thaumcraft is really useful by itself but other mods do most of what it does better or easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Thaumcraft is just a gigantic grindy pain in the rear end. Boots of the traveler are the only thing in the mod that are actually worth going through the grind for, everything else is done better by other mods.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
If you're going to use disks, format them so that certain items go to certain disks.

16k are fine for general storage, 64k are fine for mass storage of a few items. 4k are okay starter drives.

Then empty all your drives so they repopulate into those formatted disks.

You can store a pretty significant number of things in disks. DSUs are still the way to go for anything you run automated 24/7, because you just want to set it and forget it. Although with an MFR tree farm or something, you are going to hit that 2bi cap in like a day.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Since thaumcraft evidently won't resolve my palpatine itch, then, any thoughts on Ars Magica?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Ciaphas posted:

New question, what do people actually like about Thaumcraft? I've found it nothing more than an irritating pain in the rear end, frankly. I just wanted to do the Palpatine thing :(

I really like the crafting in Thaumcraft, I think it looks really cool. I'm just not willing to go through the grind of research again, gently caress that bullshit.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!
The only thing in Thaumcraft that I find useful is the Equal Trade focus. It's great for taking your hollowed-out hole and making all the walls the same, or for quickly replacing a floor with a new block. Everything else I would possibly use is done better and easier via Powersuits.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Sunblood posted:

The only thing in Thaumcraft that I find useful is the Equal Trade focus. It's great for taking your hollowed-out hole and making all the walls the same, or for quickly replacing a floor with a new block. Everything else I would possibly use is done better and easier via Powersuits.

Can't the equal trade focus be replaced by a properly configured digiminer?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
You mostly fix thaumcraft by not playing the research minigame at all and using the cheat book. Heck i tried it easymode and its still not terribly fun even if it is better then previous versions. :argh:

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Ciaphas posted:

As someone who loves Thaumcraft, let me say... The scanning and research stuff is a monstrous pain in the rear end. These days, I just skip it with a cheat sheet.

Golems are one of my favorite ways to automate things. Some of the foci are extremely handy - the shock, equal trade, and portable hole foci in particular. Boots of the traveller are a must-have, and runic armor is very good. Arcane lamps are a great way to light up large areas. The thaumostatic harness makes for an excellent flight system, although depending on what mods you have access to, there's better. Alumentum makes for excellent fuel for a lot of things, but you definitely want an automated system to create it in bulk. I personally love the whole infusion mechanic, even if it can be a bit of work.

There's also a lot of useful stuff in some of the add-ons. In particular, the osmotic enchanter from Thaumic Tinkerer is probably the best enchanting tool around.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Thyrork posted:

You mostly fix thaumcraft by not playing the research minigame at all and using the cheat book. Heck i tried it easymode and its still not terribly fun even if it is better then previous versions. :argh:

Easy mode is actually harder because you don't get to use common aspects to bridge rare aspects. It just straight up makes you pay with rare aspects, and not in small quantities. Most of the direct purchase theories are like this. Azanor really does not know what easy means.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I agree, easy should have included alot of bonus unlocks as well as the right click to unlock it features.

Researched how to further purify ore? Great! On easy mode that auto-unlocks the other kinds of purification.

But i must admit that the last time i was playing minecraft i did it without thaumcraft. Witchery and Blood Magic make for a decent enough pair, and i need to sink my teeth into ars magica 2 to see if its less arse (:haw:) nowadays.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 11, 2014

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

McFrugal posted:

Easy mode is actually harder because you don't get to use common aspects to bridge rare aspects. It just straight up makes you pay with rare aspects, and not in small quantities. Most of the direct purchase theories are like this. Azanor really does not know what easy means.

God. Motus. Like half the research needs motus, and you don't get much of it from scanning, so you might end up with 30 or so... And easy mode will require 4 or 5 for like twenty different researches.

That's reminds me of the other frustrating thing - the soft cap on total research points and the limit on how many points ou can get from a single scan. Stupid and frustrating.

Ultimately. the scanning and research stuff is a gigantic grindy waste of time. No other mod uses this kind of mechanic - you can just make everything as long as ou have the resources. The magic mods do all gate access to higher-tier stuff, but the others are all a lot more organic. With Blood Magic, it's all about what tier altar you have. With Ars Magica, it's about gaining magic levels, and that's not hard to do, mostly. With Witchery, it's what things you've made and grown. All three of those work way better and are a lot more fun than the research crap.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Serifina posted:

God. Motus. Like half the research needs motus, and you don't get much of it from scanning, so you might end up with 30 or so... And easy mode will require 4 or 5 for like twenty different researches.

Praecantatio.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

axelsoar posted:

Praecantatio.

You can get a lot of that by crafting TC4 stuff then scanning it. Instrumentatum is far worse.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

McFrugal posted:

You can get a lot of that by crafting TC4 stuff then scanning it. Instrumentatum is far worse.

Fair enough, I'm just really lazy about it.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

McFrugal posted:

Instrumentum is easy - flint. A Shovel of the Earthmover with Fortune can get you more flint than you'll ever need in the span of a few seconds if you find a gravel beach or something.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Ixjuvin posted:

Instrumentum is easy - flint. A Shovel of the Earthmover with Fortune can get you more flint than you'll ever need in the span of a few seconds if you find a gravel beach or something.

Not for essentia, for research points.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Ixjuvin posted:

Instrumentum essentia (for fueling Thaumic Tinker's thaumic restorer) is easy to manufacture in quantity as well - make cobble for free with a Thermal Expansion Igneous Extruder, crush it with a Mekanism Crusher, then run the resulting gravel through a TE Pulverizer (or an Ender IO SAG Mill, for a chance at extras) to make flint, then cook the flint in the alchemical furnace.

Herba (for fueling lamps of growth) is easy too, even without a tree (or other plant) farm - start again with cobble from an extruder, pump it into a TE Fluid Transposer with water to make mossy cobble, then cook that to get herba, praecantatio, and saxum.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Or hell just use Chisel to convert stone blocks into mossy stone blocks. I tend to prefer nether wart farms though.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
I don't think you can automate that, can you?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

There are a couple tools that can emulate user left-clicks, but not without damaging the chisel.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Sage Grimm posted:

Or hell just use Chisel to convert stone blocks into mossy stone blocks. I tend to prefer nether wart farms though.

Nether wart is my preference. It supplies nearly everything you need all on its own.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm kind of glad I'm not the only who person who finds Thaumcraft a tedious grindfest. I ended up just removing it from my local copy of NST: Diet, along with EE3.

Speaking of NST: Diet, this is my first time using Tinker's Construct, and it's pretty nice! The smeltery is extremely cool (and much easier to set up than a hand grinder, since clay is vastly more common than quartz) and the tools are a nice upgrade to fill in the lengthy gap between stone no longer being good enough, and finding diamonds.

That said, it seems like with thermex and MPS installed, it occupies a fairly narrow niche and becomes obsolete pretty quickly. Once you find an emerald and can reliably generate power, the MPS Power Fist replaces all of the TC tools in a single item slot, and once you have power generation, a thermex grinder and smelte r does everything the smeltery does - granted, it doesn't look nearly as cool, but it takes up a tiny fraction of the space. You can automate the smeltery, but it hardly seems worth it considering how big it is.

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this. I think I just wish that the smeltery remained relevant for longer, because I love pouring molten steel over things.

(Also, gently caress Endermen. I need four Ender Pearls so that I can imprint some seeds so that I can grow ender pearls and never have to give a poo poo about endermen ever again. I've killed five Endermen and I have one pearl, and sadly NST: Diet doesn't appear to come with that ore Big Dig had that can be smelted into pearls.)

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah my smeltery is just a bigass thing that sits there most of the time too now. I think it could have been made more relevant if I could cast armor or armor parts with it, and maybe be able to cast out other things. Like, forms for specific components. However, I'd get pretty pissed with it if, say, a machine frame had to be cast each time I wanted to make one. I'm not so sure about it yet.

Maybe being able to cast gun barrels in basins would make things more interesting.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm kind of glad I'm not the only who person who finds Thaumcraft a tedious grindfest. I ended up just removing it from my local copy of NST: Diet, along with EE3.

I think everyone agrees that the research portion of Thaumcraft is a tedious grindfest, it's just a question of "do you like the stuff Thaumcraft offers enough to cheat past the tedious bit to get to the fun stuff."

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

ToxicFrog posted:

Speaking of NST: Diet, this is my first time using Tinker's Construct, and it's pretty nice! The smeltery is extremely cool (and much easier to set up than a hand grinder, since clay is vastly more common than quartz) and the tools are a nice upgrade to fill in the lengthy gap between stone no longer being good enough, and finding diamonds.

That said, it seems like with thermex and MPS installed, it occupies a fairly narrow niche and becomes obsolete pretty quickly. Once you find an emerald and can reliably generate power, the MPS Power Fist replaces all of the TC tools in a single item slot, and once you have power generation, a thermex grinder and smelte r does everything the smeltery does - granted, it doesn't look nearly as cool, but it takes up a tiny fraction of the space. You can automate the smeltery, but it hardly seems worth it considering how big it is.

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this. I think I just wish that the smeltery remained relevant for longer, because I love pouring molten steel over things.

(Also, gently caress Endermen. I need four Ender Pearls so that I can imprint some seeds so that I can grow ender pearls and never have to give a poo poo about endermen ever again. I've killed five Endermen and I have one pearl, and sadly NST: Diet doesn't appear to come with that ore Big Dig had that can be smelted into pearls.)

I really don't find the powerfist to adequately replace TConst tools, no. You're clearly not making the right TConst tools to go with your powersuit. Try a cobalt-head 2x cobalt plates thaumium sturdy handle hammer. With all a flux capacitor and all the redstone and lapis you can cram on. Or a thaumium handle, paper crossbar, manullyn blade rapier with max lapis and max quartz. The high end tconst stuff you can make once thaumium, cobalt, ardite, and manullyn become options and "will require a nether star, gold block, diamond, 1200 redstone and 700 lapis" isn't a cost quote that matters just get silly powerful. Scythes, Excavators, Hammers, the combo shovel-axe thing, Rapiers and a few other tconst tools are really good and only get better with your willingness to sink tons of resources into em. Having the whole flux thing going on now is nice too, since IC2's gone so Electric's dead.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Is there an easy way to pick and choose mods to install automatically to make homebrew packs like in Openttd? Or is it all still a mess.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I looked into liquid metal automation of the TC smeltery and my experiments quickly found out that a bucket pulled from AE liquid storage does not round nicely into any of the components you can create. You always have some left over which is dumb and I didn't pursue it further.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Will Tesseracts on send automatically suck up items from plain old chests, or do I need a powered itemduct?

I'm redoing my automatic farming; my harvester's output directly to a chest, with an itemduct that whitelists the plant seed in question back to a planter. Right now the crops just stay in the chest until I pick it up; I want instead to tesseract it back to my ME network.

Actually as I write this, I wonder if I'd even need the chest once I have tesseracts. Hm.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Chests are dumb inventories, so you'll need a powered itemduct to suck out items into your tesseract. Having a chest acting as a router will work up until your planter is full and the system backs up full of seeds/saplings.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Sage Grimm posted:

Chests are dumb inventories, so you'll need a powered itemduct to suck out items into your tesseract. Having a chest acting as a router will work up until your planter is full and the system backs up full of seeds/saplings.

You can work around this if you have a backup path that leads into that one block that just destroys things leading into this. Put it behind one of the dense pipes that counts as 1000 and it won't send poo poo there unless it has no other possible destinations.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Will Tesseracts on send automatically suck up items from plain old chests, or do I need a powered itemduct?

I'm redoing my automatic farming; my harvester's output directly to a chest, with an itemduct that whitelists the plant seed in question back to a planter. Right now the crops just stay in the chest until I pick it up; I want instead to tesseract it back to my ME network.

Actually as I write this, I wonder if I'd even need the chest once I have tesseracts. Hm.

Here's how I have my farms set up:

Itemduct flows down from the harvester and tosses seeds via whitelisted pneumatic servo into the planter (I use dirt blocks inside the planter so I only ever have one stack of each seed in them) and then the foodstuffs/extra seeds go one itemduct further into the ender chest. Each 9x9 bit of farm in the stack has its own ender chest, and they all tie into another one that has a precise import bus into my AE system. I think you're on Diet, right? So you can use the mod ender chests with the colored wool bits on the tops or you should be able to use the vanilla chests too. Now that tesseracts are more expensive I've taken to using ender chests if I'm just transporting items.

Bonus points if you set up an MFR biofuel generator fed by fluiducts leading from your harvester(s) to power them without needing to pipe energy from the rest of your base :D It produces slightly more sludge than it uses so if I had more time I'd figure out a way to keep the generator full and pipe any extra sludge away for a sludge boiler, but :effort:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

BlueOccamy posted:

Bonus points if you set up an MFR biofuel generator fed by fluiducts leading from your harvester(s) to power them without needing to pipe energy from the rest of your base :D It produces slightly more sludge than it uses so if I had more time I'd figure out a way to keep the generator full and pipe any extra sludge away for a sludge boiler, but :effort:

I know with my tree farm setup that the item ducts will favor the closest destination until it's full and not accepting more by default. I suspect then for fluids that if you put the boil after the destination for your dynamos that it would only go there once it has exhausted the dynamo <crosses fingers>.

for my situation I was going to experiment with setting the initial input duct for the charcoal to round-robin, and then that should theoretically distribute charcoal evenly.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

chairface posted:

I really don't find the powerfist to adequately replace TConst tools, no. You're clearly not making the right TConst tools to go with your powersuit. Try a cobalt-head 2x cobalt plates thaumium sturdy handle hammer. With all a flux capacitor and all the redstone and lapis you can cram on. Or a thaumium handle, paper crossbar, manullyn blade rapier with max lapis and max quartz. The high end tconst stuff you can make once thaumium, cobalt, ardite, and manullyn become options and "will require a nether star, gold block, diamond, 1200 redstone and 700 lapis" isn't a cost quote that matters just get silly powerful. Scythes, Excavators, Hammers, the combo shovel-axe thing, Rapiers and a few other tconst tools are really good and only get better with your willingness to sink tons of resources into em. Having the whole flux thing going on now is nice too, since IC2's gone so Electric's dead.

I'm pretty sure thaumium doesn't generate unless you have Thaumcraft installed, which I don't.

Specifics aside, for me a large part of the value in the Power Fist is that it takes up only one slot. In a single belt slot I have my pick, axe, shovel, hoe, shears, wrench, sword, railgun, ripper, and plasma cannon. And a ghetto jump assist given the amount of kick that the railgun has. And it autoselects between tools depending on what I'm looking at! That compactness and convenience is worth a lot to me.

And by the time I have the resources to build stuff requiring "a nether star, gold block, diamond, 1200 redstone and 700 lapis", I've also probably transcended manual resource collection entirely and am just strip-mining the entire world with digiminers or something.

The ability to cast armour with it might give the smeltery a bit more longevity, but again, it would have to offer some pretty serious enhancements for me to consider it over a full MPS suit.

Apart from that, all it really has to offer is alloys (can be done with dust mixing, for the most part) or ore doubling (can be done with thermex or mekanism in much less space).

On reflection, I think what I'd really like from it is a complicated ore amplification pipeline like Mekanism's x4(?) multiplier. Give me an excuse to have a massive foundry with glowing crucibles and pipes of molten metal everywhere. Small boxes with cables running between them just don't have the same gravitas.

Scorpion 3-2
Apr 2, 2011
AlgorithmX2 put up a video on AE2 explaining channels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLI1mGna3Vc

I don't know maybe I'm just not smart enough but to me this just looks way more complicated than the old system without any added advantage.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Scorpion 3-2 posted:

I don't know maybe I'm just not smart enough but to me this just looks way more complicated than the old system without any added advantage.

Seems to be par for the course as far as mod updates go.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Scorpion 3-2 posted:

AlgorithmX2 put up a video on AE2 explaining channels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLI1mGna3Vc

There are some good changes, some bad. The ability to do small networks without requiring an ME controller is definitely a good thing - makes it much easier to do early-game and just do like a few ME chests when necessary. Making processors of all types is also slightly cheaper. AE now has built-in power, although I doubt many people are likely to use it (why bother when I can just hook it into my TE network?) Everything being a multipart is also good - means AE is divorced from the BC facade system so I can hide everything right.

I'm not sure what the point of the channels system is. I understand how it works, but I don't know why he did it aside from putting in an arbitrary restriction on how many devices can be used. (To be fair, the addition of the channels mechanic is one of the most reasonable "balancing" features I've seen added - unlike some, which just make things grindier or more expensive). There's also definitely some pain in the rear end new mechanics (certus seeds for "pure certus quartz", fluix crystals - I'm not sure how making either of these can be automated).

Also, having to wander around the world and find meteors in order to get each of the four inscription presses seems way too random and frustrating for me (but I don't see any way to get them otherwise).

What I'm curious about is auto-crafting. According to his most recent posts, he's working on it but it's not done yet and will be in the first major update for AE2 (which the alpha is currently released for 1.7.2). If it's improved and the bugs are gone, I'm willing to forgive a lot. If the pain-in-the-butt fluix crystal/certus seed stuff can be automated without tearing my hair out, I'll be happy, too.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
Or, you know. Not bother with balancing because Minecraft is a sandbox game making any kind of balance meaningless. All it does is make previously simple tasks tedious and un-fun.

Gollom
Mar 5, 2007
I pawned the precious
AE is great and all but it's always been grindybalanced as hell. A million sub-components and parts to build everything. Multiple parts that have to be processed in some way. Things that are needed on their own but also used in other recipes in large quantities. Some of the first patterns I make once I have an autocrafter set up are for AE parts because god it gets tedious fast.

It also follows the pattern for most mods, where they get progressively less player friendly(and fun) the more popular they get. I guess it's nice we're not at the stage of needing a nether star to build the controller. AE3 maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadioDog
May 31, 2005
Sometimes I wonder if it isn't just modders trying to show how smart they are.

• Locked thread