Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Aranan posted:

Gotta love getting PCS orders changed 3 weeks before leaving. The Army is now sending me to Italy Fort Drum. Thanks, Army.

That's loving painful right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

manchego posted:

My wife really wants to go see the blossoms, so I'll be joining the packs of fat tourists in DC this weekend.

We're taking the metro in from the Greenbelt station to the northish of town to avoid the parking/driving nightmare. Do you have any recommendations to make it not miserable (besides the obvious one)?

There is no avoiding the driving nightmare.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

manchego posted:

My wife really wants to go see the blossoms, so I'll be joining the packs of fat tourists in DC this weekend.

We're taking the metro in from the Greenbelt station to the northish of town to avoid the parking/driving nightmare. Do you have any recommendations to make it not miserable (besides the obvious one)?

I'd arrive as early as possible to beat the majority of the crowd. Fortunately they stop the weekend track work during cherry blossom season, so you won't have to wait 30 minutes for a train. The best places to drink off the green line are RFD and Iron Horse at Gallery Place and The Saloon at U St. RFD and The Saloon both serve food.

e: And it warrants a mention that pig Whip will be out and about to brutalize your day.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

psydude posted:

I'd arrive as early as possible to beat the majority of the crowd. Fortunately they stop the weekend track work during cherry blossom season, so you won't have to wait 30 minutes for a train. The best places to drink off the green line are RFD and Iron Horse at Gallery Place and The Saloon at U St. RFD and The Saloon both serve food.

e: And it warrants a mention that pig Whip will be out and about to brutalize your day.

How long until someone gets both a citation and a probation from whip?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

not caring here posted:

That's a king size army boning if ever I've seen one.

This kind of thing almost happened to me. Took an early PCS waiver going from Alaska to Dahlonega, GA. When I showed up at Benning to inprocess, a MSG pulled me into his office to talk to me. Apparently while I was on PCS leave, my orders got swapped to Ft. Riley.

Since I was already there at Benning, they let me go on to Dahlonega. A lot of my former platoon mates with orders to RTB units weren't so lucky, and got pushed to Hood or Riley.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
The moral of the story is if you come down on a sweet assignment, treat that poo poo like a game of school yard tag and get to home base as fast as you can. That way once you're signed in, the green weenie will give up on you and go after the slow fat kid with the glasses who took three weeks of PCS leave.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Even then, sometimes the green weenie will get you. I only had the minimal travel time leave scheduled. Oh well! Time to do PT and then afterwards sit in a gym for 10 minutes to let my clothes thaw out.

Seriously though, why does everyone hate Drum so much? Is it the cold or are the people there a special kind of retard?

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

The Sgt Major of the Marines is almost more batman insane than ours!!!

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/article/20140409/NEWS05/304090064

quote:

Instead, Barrett argued that the lower quality of life would be beneficial to Marines.

“I truly believe it will raise discipline,” he said. “You’ll have better spending habits. You won’t be so wasteful.”

“They don’t want an easy life,” he said. “They want to be tougher people. They want the pride of belonging, being something bigger than themselves.”

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Kaliber posted:

The Sgt Major of the Marines is almost more batman insane than ours!!!

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/article/20140409/NEWS05/304090064
:vince: fuckin lol marines

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008
At least an E9 finally said it..

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Aranan posted:

Even then, sometimes the green weenie will get you. I only had the minimal travel time leave scheduled. Oh well! Time to do PT and then afterwards sit in a gym for 10 minutes to let my clothes thaw out.

Seriously though, why does everyone hate Drum so much? Is it the cold or are the people there a special kind of retard?

Special kind of retard, lovely area, cold as gently caress and hella snow, world war 2 era buildings, and so much fun.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
We had a guy in our clinic who was super slow and super poo poo at the job who managed to snag OCONUS orders to England with less than a year on station for a super small clinic that's hard to get into. Considering this guy's life was a wreck when he found out his hot wife who was the only chick he'd ever banged left him for like 5 other guys this was about the best thing that could happen to him.

So the day before he's supposed the get on a plane to cross the Atlantic he watches the movers take his things onto the highway on ramp and heads back to base to get like one last piece of paper. DENIED. Yeah they didn't bother to tell him he couldn't PCS with a referral EPR and to top it off our squadron only gave him like 2 days to find a new place to live with all his poo poo sitting in a warehouse before he had to come back to work.

Good story since it's funny and sad at the same time.

Edit: Bonus in that by the next day his Facebook was blowing up with family members asking him how England is and how excited he must be and him trying to awkwardly explain it.

Cenen fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 11, 2014

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
So is referal EPR zoomiespeak for a flag? The thing you get when you fail a PT test or are overweight or about to get fisted by UCMJ?

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011

Signaleer posted:

So is referal EPR zoomiespeak for a flag? The thing you get when you fail a PT test or are overweight or about to get fisted by UCMJ?

Yeah you hit the nail on the head pretty much. He actually got his referral for failing a PT test. I don't know if there are waivers and ways around it and what not but how it's been explained to me is that you can't PCS with a referral EPR but I guess people had been telling him that they would work it out and I guess when he made it through like 99% of the out processing process and had about 30ish hours left on American soil with everyone telling him their goodbyes he figured he was in the clear.

Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when some Airmen had to explain to him he wasn't going anywhere.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I'm seriously starting to consider getting out. I thought getting a job with a minimum GT would help annex some of the bullshit and stupidity.

nope!

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
i only understood "stupidity" and "still in the military" in that post

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Mike-o posted:

i only understood "stupidity" and "still in the military" in that post

That's the TLDR version

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

There's been 3 IG complaints filed against our grossly overweight infantry LTC who is promotable and hasn't gotten taped/weight since he arrived. All of which has been swept under the carpet by our 2 Star in JPAC. loving nobles and their double standards.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
how fat are we talkin here?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I had a SH m that was so fat that he couldn't zip up his ACU top. He had to rely on the Velcro.

Never change SGM McGee or "the good idea fairy"

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

how fat are we talkin here?

So fat our PAO has no pictures of him during any awards ceremony/JPAC unit functions and etc.

So fat that he has to lean back to get into parade rest. Wears probably the biggest size ACU top and you can still see how much his gut pops out. My MSG is a 5'10 stocky black dude who weighs about 220 and the LTC makes him look skinny.

This is a picture of him from January 2013. You can't miss him in the crowd. He's gotten bigger since. I saw him yesterday during a formation and his head barely fits his PC anymore.

EDIT: He's 5'6

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 11, 2014

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Hahaha. Jesus God...I thought I was fat!

gently caress royal-good-ol-boys.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

The best part about him is he slams people for APFT failures and not meeting weight/tape.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
You haven't seen fat until you've been in aviation, I swear some of the CW's could be on people of walmart.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

yeahok posted:

You haven't seen fat until you've been in an HHC. I swear, everyone could be on people of walmart.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Kaliber posted:

So fat our PAO has no pictures of him during any awards ceremony/JPAC unit functions and etc.

So fat that he has to lean back to get into parade rest. Wears probably the biggest size ACU top and you can still see how much his gut pops out. My MSG is a 5'10 stocky black dude who weighs about 220 and the LTC makes him look skinny.

This is a picture of him from January 2013. You can't miss him in the crowd. He's gotten bigger since. I saw him yesterday during a formation and his head barely fits his PC anymore.

EDIT: He's 5'6

Lord Minty you loving fat oval office.

I wouldn't apply my brakes if I saw him crossing the street.

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2011/05/plastic_army_men_ptsd_colorado_springs_soldiers.php

The one sitting on the ground is obviously going like, "fuckin veggine omelet AGAIN!?"

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kaliber posted:

The best part about him is he slams people for APFT failures and not meeting weight/tape.

Sounds like the terrible O5 we had during mobilization who got relieved for crashing a GSA van and pinning it on his white cell NCOIC. He banned everybody from traveling outside of a 200 mile radius during pass, and then promptly hopped on a plane to fly back to Tennessee.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Aranan posted:

Cold, plus the only decent people I've ever seen with a 10th Mountain patch on their right shoulder were stationed at Fort Polk. Drum destroys people. They are the special kind of rear end in a top hat who yell at people wearing cold weather gear above 35 degrees and then yell at people who don't wear cold weather gear below 35 degrees.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

psydude posted:

Sounds like the terrible officer that is in almost every AD unit around

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Nimmy posted:

Cold, plus the only decent people I've ever seen with a 10th Mountain patch on their right shoulder were stationed at Fort Polk. Drum destroys people. They are the special kind of rear end in a top hat who yell at people wearing cold weather gear above 35 degrees and then yell at people who don't wear cold weather gear below 35 degrees.

So what you're saying is... I should be hoping that 1st BDE deploys soon.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

not caring here posted:

Lord Minty you loving fat oval office.

I wouldn't apply my brakes if I saw him crossing the street.

I vaguely remember this name being attached to hilarious horrible officer stories.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Aranan posted:

Gotta love getting PCS orders changed 3 weeks before leaving. The Army is now sending me to Italy Fort Drum. Thanks, Army.

Use your old orders to ship your household goods to Italy.

Then put in a 4187 to request your PCS orders be switched back to the original.

DO NOT TELL YOUR CHAIN OF COMMAND UNTIL YOUR HOUSEHOLD GOODS HAVE ALREADY LEFT.

Unless you have a down rear end squad leader like I was with my soldiers when the army tried to gently caress them.

e: Alternatively, if you know someone in S-1, it would help. Grease them up with a couple hundred, and your problem could be solved.

Kempo Yellow Belt fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 12, 2014

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I saw the most Army thing the other day: there were contractors walking around BAF spraying flowers with bleach.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

psydude posted:

I saw the most Army thing the other day: there were contractors walking around BAF spraying flowers with bleach.

:pwn:

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
Beauty is a weed.

Gooble Gobble
May 2, 2011

One of us
Is there any policy saying you have to be reachable at all times? Unit is combing the barracks grabbing people to guard arms room and I'm thinking it might be a good idea to shut off cell phone and stay at a friends place.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Unless it's a unit policy, or you are a critical position dickhead, then no.

Run and hide. gently caress that poo poo.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
"I was drunk" is the go-to weekend excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
"Went camping and must have been out of my service area" was mine, mostly because it was usually true

• Locked thread