Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Let's talk about :jeb: :siren: Space :siren: :jeb:

Countries capable of manned space flight

Blue: Currently have human spaceflight programs.
Light blue: Confirmed and dated plans for human spaceflight programs.
Green: Plans for human spaceflight on the simplest form (suborbital spaceflight, etc.).
Orange: Plans for human spaceflight on the extreme form (space stations, etc.).
Black: Once had official plans for human spaceflight programs, but have since been abandoned.

Countries with extraterrestrial probes

Brown: Operates Lunar, planetary, and non-planetary probes.
Dark Green: Operates Lunar and planetary probes.
Light Green: Operates Lunar probes.
Yellow: Canada is planing on cooperating a non-planetary probe with NASA and ESA.

Countries capable of space launches

Light blue: Countries with launch capability
Dark Blue: ESA (without France)

Countries that operate satellites

Dark Red: Nations which have had successful, independently launched their satellites on their own indigenously developed launch vehicles.
Red: Nations which have had unsuccessful, independently launched their satellites on their own indigenously developed launch vehicles. These nations also have external launches of their satellites.
Orange: Nations which have external help in launching their satellites.
Black: Nations which have claimed to have successful, independently launched their satellites on their own indigenously developed launch vehicles, but has not been confirmed.

Countries with astronauts

Legend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Interesting, though it doesn't say much about phenotypical diversity. For example, the distribution in the populations of France, the Netherlands, Belgium and England is unsurprisingly similar, but generally speaking, Dutch and English people look recognisably different from French and Belgian people.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

the jizz taxi posted:

Interesting, though it doesn't say much about phenotypical diversity. For example, the distribution in the populations of France, the Netherlands, Belgium and England is unsurprisingly similar, but generally speaking, Dutch and English people look recognisably different from French and Belgian people.

I'm not a geneticist, but I think that superficial features are only a very small part of genes. I've read that humans' genetical diversity is smaller than chimpanzees' that live in a single forest.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I am not a scientist, but this map shows the distribution of certain haplogroups on the Y chromosome. The only thing it shows is which European male populations are descended from the same human male.
Each of these coloured groups is descended from a single dude from a long time ago. The map doesn't tell us anything about phenotypes or the female ancestors of the populations.

The one thing it probably shows is, which armies raped and pillaged where in Europe.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Trench_Rat posted:

third_world_cellular_infrastructure.jpg Cell coverage of the US

drat appalachian/west virginia

Everything not covered in the West is literally just mountains and desert (and I mean "in the middle of nowhere" mountains and desert, not anywhere near human habitation).

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Let's talk about :jeb: :siren: Space :siren: :jeb:

Countries that operate satellites

Black: Nations which have claimed to have successful, independently launched their satellites on their own indigenously developed launch vehicles, but has not been confirmed.

North Korea is the best Korea.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

DrSunshine posted:

Blue: Currently have human spaceflight programs.
Light blue: Confirmed and dated plans for human spaceflight programs.
Green: Plans for human spaceflight on the simplest form (suborbital spaceflight, etc.).
Black: Once had official plans for human spaceflight programs, but have since been abandoned.

The US doesn't do manned spaceflight any more. If we want to get a person into space then we has to pay Russia to fly them up.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Great spaceflight maps.

How is "Launch Capability" defined? I see Brazil and South Korea on the list, but then later it seems they can only launch satellites with outside help. Yet Mexico can also launch satellites with outside help, but doesn't posses this Launch Capability.

withak posted:

The US doesn't do manned spaceflight any more. If we want to get a person into space then we has to pay Russia to fly them up.

Good point.

The No! Team
Jan 6, 2012

Finland_isnt_Scandinavian.jpg

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Count Roland posted:

Great spaceflight maps.

How is "Launch Capability" defined? I see Brazil and South Korea on the list, but then later it seems they can only launch satellites with outside help. Yet Mexico can also launch satellites with outside help, but doesn't posses this Launch Capability.

Brazil has a launch site (Alcântara). Mexico doesn't*.

* Technically, there has been a rocket launch from Mexican soil, but the one-time launch from Santiago Ixcuintla was a sounding rocket launched by an American consortium, whereas Alcântara is operated by Brazilians and, at least in principle, is reusable for launching orbiting satellites, though the VLS has yet to be successfully launched to orbit.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 10, 2014

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Haplo

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Whats up with that R1b haplogroup in Cameroon?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Those are great!

Looks like Azeris have this: you can see their population in Azerbaijan and north western Iran. But look how else they're distributed. Neatly along Greece's borders, but not much in the Balkans. Around Gibralter. Very densely around Rome, and a bunch in Corsica. And way up in Estonia too!? Very interesting.

fake edit: actually the density is very low for all these measures, it only goes up to 7% at its max, too bad.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Medieval Medic posted:

Scottish immigrants.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

Medieval Medic posted:

Apparently there was some sort of "back migration" from Asia to Africa according to this study via Wikipedia.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Count Roland posted:

Those are great!

Looks like Azeris have this: you can see their population in Azerbaijan and north western Iran. But look how else they're distributed. Neatly along Greece's borders, but not much in the Balkans. Around Gibralter. Very densely around Rome, and a bunch in Corsica. And way up in Estonia too!? Very interesting.

fake edit: actually the density is very low for all these measures, it only goes up to 7% at its max, too bad.
The worldwide map of that one is even more interesting:

According to Wikipedia it likely spread back from Asia through the Levant, then out to Europe, the Arabian Peninsula, and the Horn of Africa. You can sort of see the migration patterns on the map.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The two sizes don't agree with each other too well, unfortunately. The enclaves in India are neat as well. How does this data get collected, especially outside of Europe? Did they take DNA samples from... the whole world?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Places equidistant from a part of Texas and another part of Texas.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

computer parts posted:

So if I understand you correctly, I'm looking at a Texas-sized radius around the border of Texas?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Backweb posted:

So if I understand you correctly, I'm looking at a Texas-sized radius around the border of Texas?

More or less, yeah.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Think of it as places from which you can be driving to somewhere in Texas and be only halfway there when you hit the Texas border.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

computer parts posted:

Yeah I get some fun looks from folks when I tell them "if I drive from Houston to LA, by the time I'm halfway there I haven't left Texas yet". El Paso is as close to the west coast as the coast that its own state borders.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The scale of the west states really does not show up on maps. I once drove from southwest Ohio to Oklahoma City in one day, then from Oklahoma City to the west edge of New Mexico was another entire goddamn day. I didn't even make it to Arizona.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Backweb posted:

Thanks, I was a little confused from the description, since I'm sure there's no place on earth you could not find two points in texas that it was equidistant from.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Well I think outside that area there will always be one single point that is the closest part of Texas. (So there might be a qualifier missing in the original definition)

E: Oh I get it. It was meant to be: All points A such that there is a point B in Texas that is equidistant to A and another point C also in Texas. So A <-> B == B <--> C but not A <--> B == A <--> C as the original post could be interpreted.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 11, 2014

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Well I think outside that area there will always be one single point that is the closest part of Texas. (So there might be a qualifier missing in the original definition)

E: Oh I get it. It was meant to be: All points A such that there is a point B in Texas that is equidistant to A and another point C also in Texas. So A <-> B == B <--> C but not A <--> B == A <--> C as the original post could be interpreted.

Ah, that makes sense, thanks!

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
It was a lot clearer when a version of that map showed in the pyf maps thread.

IMJack posted:

Texas is 791 miles wide. The red area is within 791 miles of the Texas border.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

From a rather old OKCupid blog post (more in the post)

Forgive the lovely rush crops, the actual images/text/legends are all separate things so I couldn't just jack the images from the post itself.

3peat
May 6, 2010

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

gently caress yes let those dirty Ostrobothnians and Laplanders murder each other.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Wow. I wonder if the scale is normalized, as in the limits are the most extreme states rather than absolute percentages for each answer. It could make a big difference.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 11, 2014

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Probably the best way to fix most of the problems with your country. Wish it was as easy for the rest of us...

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Corsica is Murder Island.

It's funny since my Corsican grandparents are always telling me to be super careful when going out in Paris :siren:

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 11, 2014

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Wow. I wonder if the scale is normalized, as in the limits are the most extreme states rather than absolute percentages for each answer. It could make a big difference.

Based on the comments in the post, the limits are the most extreme states (and D.C.) rather than absolutes.

:negative:

This map, and the one on the value of human life is pretty loving horrifying. But this comment on the gun control map made me chuckle:

quote:

I put this up because the question was interesting and also implies a paradox. If the people who most love guns were offered this choice, the rest of us could pass real gun control. Voila.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Most of these I get why, but what the gently caress is up with that one area in the Netherlands (or is it Belgium)?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

This one seems like a reading comprehension thing. Homosexuality is in fact a sin; god threw a comet at a city that had gays in it.

A better question is: should we care what the bible says?

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

Mikl posted:

Most of these I get why, but what the gently caress is up with that one area in the Netherlands (or is it Belgium)?

It is the Belgian province of Liege. Large unemployment due to closures of manufacturing industries (esp. steel industry) may have something to do with it.
Still, it's not the only place that suffered from this. In the same country, Hainaut has probably suffered at least as much, and it's slightly less blue.

Antwan3K fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 11, 2014

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Oh Brandenburg :rolleyes:

Is Algarve especially poverty stricken or what is happening in south Portugal ?

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Antwan3K posted:

It is the Belgian province of Liege. Large unemployment due to closures of manufacturing industries (esp. steel industry) may have something to do with it.
Still, it's not the only place that suffered from this. In the same country, Hainaut has probably suffered at least as much, and it's slightly less blue.

This, plus Liège is home to one of the world's best known weapons manufacturers, some of that stuff finds its way easily on the black market, despite gun control laws in Belgium being rather strict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

the jizz taxi posted:

This, plus Liège is home to one of the world's best known weapons manufacturers, some of that stuff finds its way easily on the black market, despite gun control laws in Belgium being rather strict.

Wait do you mean Fn?