Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Madmarker posted:

I am firmly convinced that I want Mutavault to be like BOP once was, a perennial coreset staple. It plays well in so many different archetypes, filling different roles, everyone wants to play with it, using Mutavault is always fun. It gives incentives for 2 color decks, while still allowing for crazy mana bases. And it has cute interactions with EVERYTHING.

Its just a sweet card that I always want around.

These are the nicest words I've ever seen formulated for Mutavault from anyone who has been playing Standard for the last 7 months, because this card has completely dominated and destroyed Standard and it can't rotate fast enough.

I guess I'm glad I built Rw Burn because City of Brass 2.0 is exactly the card it needed and wants to play against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos
The visual design of Duels 2015 is really wild.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Count Bleck posted:

To be fair, Soulbond was nutty.

It was miserable in limited. Probably because Avacyn Restored was the worst set for limited in a long time.

Oh you have an uncommon four drop creature? Guess I can't win now because there's no loving removal in this set.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Dang, the idea of a set specifically for drafted free-for-all matches is neat. I really hope my local store gets in on this.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

MrBling posted:

It was miserable in limited. Probably because Avacyn Restored was the worst set for limited in a long time.

Oh you have an uncommon four drop creature? Guess I can't win now because there's no loving removal in this set.
Hell, the commons (well, the few that were actual playable cards) were bad enough.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Roadie posted:

Dang, the idea of a set specifically for drafted free-for-all matches is neat. I really hope my local store gets in on this.

I get that everyone has a different idea of fun, but I really don't like multiplayer formats. I'll be giving it a pass.

Jimmy Jazz
Dec 25, 2006
Police walked in for me; I wasn't there, 'cause I sure went fast!

AnacondaHL posted:

These are the nicest words I've ever seen formulated for Mutavault from anyone who has been playing Standard for the last 7 months, because this card has completely dominated and destroyed Standard and it can't rotate fast enough.

How has mutavault destroyed the format? I mean sure it made pack rat super annoying but it's not like revelation or thoughtseize in that it essentially dictates what decks are viable.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Jimmy Jazz posted:

How has mutavault destroyed the format? I mean sure it made pack rat super annoying but it's not like revelation or thoughtseize in that it essentially dictates what decks are viable.
Literally 80% of the top decks are playing it and the other 20% probably could play 1-2 if they chose to. It's a powerhouse to be sure. I don't think it has destroyed the format but it definitely has warped it a bit.

More PAX stuff:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Jimmy Jazz posted:

Because it suffers from the same problem that the original duals run into - almost literally every competitive deck has the card, frequently as a 4-of. And its $35. gently caress Mutavault.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 11, 2014

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

MrBling posted:

Draft every Peel From Reality. Secret bomb of the format.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Draft every Peel From Reality. Secret bomb of the format.

I think you are the only person who liked that format.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

MrBling posted:

I think it was more due to the scarcity of the removal, than Soulbond the mechanic. I though many of the Soulbond guys like Wingcrafter, Tandem Lookout, Nightshade Peddler were pretty sweet as such, and in a "more normal" format their power relative to the risk of playing them would have been at a good spot. It was just that together with the dearth of truly reactive cards the few creature P/T boosting guys like Trusted Forcemage and Druid's Familiar could be pretty obscene.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

*Also raises hand*

Really, the only limited format I haven't cared for so far since joining at Innistrad's release has been Dragon Maze/Gatecrash/Return to Ravnica.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I know it was unpopular and there were some things that really shouldn't have been the case. I hated how binary Thatcher Revolt was, how swingy miracles could be, and how utterly miserable Moonsilver Spear was. But I loved the poo poo out of how soulbond meant you could use bounce as a combat trick, how you could recycle ETBs with flicker, that there were two different black archetypes and if you had a sac outlet you could shift between them on the fly, etc.

I think I just had a lot of fun experiences with the set. It probably also helped that it was probably the winningest draft format I ever had. That or full RTR block (which I also enjoyed despite its unpopularity.)

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ramos posted:

*Also raises hand*

Really, the only limited format I haven't cared for so far since joining at Innistrad's release has been Dragon Maze/Gatecrash/Return to Ravnica.

How do you like AVR AVR AVR more than DGR? :psyboom:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ramos posted:

*Also raises hand*

So you hated DGM/GTC/RTR but liked avacyn restored limited

okay guy

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I didn't play AVR limited, but DGR was awful.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The thing I hated more than anything about AVR was getting to the last 5-6 cards in the pack and thinking "I want none of these."

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Entropic posted:

The thing I hated more than anything about AVR was getting to the last 5-6 cards in the pack and thinking "I want none of these."

It was more like the last 10 cards in the pack, but yeah.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Entropic posted:

It was more like the last 10 cards, but yeah. Lots of filler in that set.

edit: lol, same exact reply. :v:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What's the consensus on M14? Because boy howdy I had a lot of fun with that one, though it's odd that I went 3-1 in literally every single sanctioned draft of it I did (which was one or more per week every week of the format!)

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Actually, I thought avacyn was an awesome limited format. It was gimmicky and high variance, but very fun to play so long as you accept the high variance as a major mechanic of the format.

All of scars block was awful in limited, and dragons maze limited was stupid.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What's the consensus on M14? Because boy howdy I had a lot of fun with that one, though it's odd that I went 3-1 in literally every single sanctioned draft of it I did.

No dual lands and gave us the glory that is mutavault standard so no thank you. Scooze is neat though.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I mean as a limited format.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

50 pounds of bread posted:

Actually, I thought avacyn was an awesome limited format. It was gimmicky and high variance, but very fun to play so long as you accept the high variance as a major mechanic of the format.

All of scars block was awful in limited, and dragons maze limited was stupid.

I really liked Scars block. Once you figured out how to draft it (stay colorless for the first 5 or so picks) it was pretty easy to break.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Count Bleck posted:

Sorry, but Spanish Lifebane Zombie is the best.

:allears:

I legit cannot justify buying a playset of these for 60 bucks.

Though I probably should since it's Better Brass City.

The best Spanish card will probably always be Seņor Myr.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Zoness posted:

Because DGR was stuffed with a bunch of poo poo that pigeonholed you into a guild before seeing any actual fun cards. It was awful.

Low power AVR was way better, because the archetypes were flavorful and fun to play, variance aside.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

The best Spanish card will probably always be Seņor Myr.

I personally like Sorin, El Seņor de Innistrad.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

ScarletBrother posted:

I really liked Scars block. Once you figured out how to draft it (stay colorless for the first 5 or so picks) it was pretty easy to break.

I didn't like it, because everyone drafts the same cards since everything is colorless, it makes drafting unpleasant because colorless bombs are everywhere and snap picks regardless of color. There was little to no variety in the format, which is what I find enjoyable in limited formats.

People aren't wrong for liking it, it's just not at all what I am looking for when I play limited.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What's the consensus on M14? Because boy howdy I had a lot of fun with that one, though it's odd that I went 3-1 in literally every single sanctioned draft of it I did (which was one or more per week every week of the format!)

I didn't find it half as fun as M13.

White was really awful, green and blue were good but boring, too many unplayable cards in general.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Zoness posted:

Mortimer posted:

So you hated DGM/GTC/RTR but liked avacyn restored limited

okay guy

Woah man, so long as we're being melodramatic.

I think the main thing that annoyed me about Dragon Maze is that they put all of the fixing and what not into the first set your draft. If they had been flipped around, I think it would have been more enjoyable, oddly enough.

But yes, I did quite enjoy Avacyn Restored. Miracles and bonding tend to be unusual things in the draft and require quite a bit of different thinking than usual to handle. Certainly not the best draft format, but still quite a bit enjoyable if you didn't try to force it work like every other set.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

50 pounds of bread posted:

I didn't like it, because everyone drafts the same cards since everything is colorless, it makes drafting unpleasant because colorless bombs are everywhere and snap picks regardless of color. There was little to no variety in the format, which is what I find enjoyable in limited formats.

People aren't wrong for liking it, it's just not at all what I am looking for when I play limited.

I guess my last experiences with it was drafting it at a new at the time LGS with a lot of new players who didn't know the format. I ran so many consecutive weeks of 3-0's pods into free drafts + store credit, that probably colors my opinion of the format.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

AVR limited was so boring that it's what made me finally break down and get a Netflix subscription so I had something to do while grinding events. Not sure we'll ever see another limited format you can 3-1 or 4-0 consistently while literally not paying attention to your match at all. If you were ahead on board the game was almost certainly over.

edit: I am a little surprised to see people favor formats they do well in versus ones that are fun, a lot of really boring limited formats are easy to crush and the relation isn't a coincidence.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

tzirean posted:

I didn't play AVR limited, but DGR was awful.

DGR wasn't bad, the players attempting to draft it were. It required a lot more thought and planning to draft a good deck, and, at least at my store, most players draft according to 3 simple steps:

Step 1 -- Pick the strongest card in the first pack. In this context, strongest usually means most valuable.
Step 2 -- Pick the strongest card passed to you next. Bonus if it's in the same color or shares a color.
Step 3 -- Just pick the strongest card that matches and hope for the best. That is the color(s) you are drafting no matter what signals you receive.

This is why Theros draft is really boring for me....I get really screwed trying to deviate from this because no one can take a hint, so it's basically whoever's pack chose the right color combo for them wins.

It's probably better than this experience would indicate, but I really don't draft anymore, at least not until I can find a group that knows how.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

ScarletBrother posted:

I guess my last experiences with it was drafting it at a new at the time LGS with a lot of new players who didn't know the format. I ran so many consecutive weeks of 3-0's pods into free drafts + store credit, that probably colors my opinion of the format.

Yeah, if you drafted with people who knew what they were doing, you would have found the format to be much different. I mostly draft with my draft group, and we all generally know what we are doing, so that format was just repetitive and unfun.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

Entropic posted:

I didn't find it half as fun as M13.

White was really awful, green and blue were good but boring, too many unplayable cards in general.
Agree, M13 was a lot more fun than M14. Not having a color that was terrible helped. M14 was fine but definitely less interesting stuff going on, unless you REALLY like durdling.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
M14 is only fun if you can assemble 6 Act of Treasons and all the Red/Black sac outlets.

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug

BaronVonVaderham posted:

DGR wasn't bad, the players attempting to draft it were. It required a lot more thought and planning to draft a good deck, and, at least at my store, most players draft according to 3 simple steps:

Even when you gave it careful thought DGR draft was a trainwreck generator. Slow, bad mana fixing made it such a crapshoot. Plus the tease of having a heavily multicolor set without good fixing to really support it made it such a disappointment.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I hate M14 with a passion. Blue was absurdly strong, white was almost unplayable, and it was so loving grindy that elixir of immortality was an actual wincon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug

legoman727 posted:

I hate M14 with a passion. Blue was absurdly strong, white was almost unplayable, and it was so loving grindy that elixir of immortality was an actual wincon.

This is exactly why I love M14 :getin:

• Locked thread