Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Lewan will also stand up and defend your other players from accurate rape charges, real team player.

Defend?? Dude will go on the offensive for you! Definitely a guy you'd want in your locker room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Grozz Nuy posted:

I didn't know the Chargers spent a third on Kaeding, that's kind of ridiculous even though he was great for a long time.

The Lions spent a second to draft Jason Hanson. Then again Hanson owned, so it was a good use of the pick. Dang, he was Offensive ROY (PFWA version) in 1992 :stare:

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Think I might request off on Draft Day because why the hell not? Although, I don't think I've ever watched the entirety of rounds 2 & 3.

Is it worth it?

John Brown fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 11, 2014

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Day 2 is the most fun.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I hope that day 1 has more people shouting "WHAT" after "With the X pick in the 2014 NFL Draft", there was a distressingly smaller amount of it last year that really disappointed me.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Quest For Glory II posted:

I hope that day 1 has more people shouting "WHAT" after "With the X pick in the 2014 NFL Draft", there was a distressingly smaller amount of it last year that really disappointed me.

With the 18th pick of the 2014 NFL Draft, the New York Jets select Jay Prusch FB Auburn.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

No, not Jets fan reactions. In recent years of the NFL Draft, the entire crowd has taken to shouting "WHAT" after "With the x pick in the x NFL Draft". Once they start they do it for every pick of the first day. I think they started doing it after they broke off the 2nd-3rd round to its own day.

My guess is someone told them they couldn't keep booing Goodell except at the very beginning, so they took up doing that as a replacement.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

With the X pick in the 2014 NFL draft, the X select... Stone Cold Steve Austin

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

No, not Jets fan reactions. In recent years of the NFL Draft, the entire crowd has taken to shouting "WHAT" after "With the x pick in the x NFL Draft". Once they start they do it for every pick of the first day. I think they started doing it after they broke off the 2nd-3rd round to its own day.

My guess is someone told them they couldn't keep booing Goodell except at the very beginning, so they took up doing that as a replacement.

It's 100% accurate. Every time I go to the draft the Jets fans moan whoever they pick.

I think they cheered for Sanchez which should tell you enough about that fan base.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

My image of the Jets fans at the draft will be forever etched by seeing the video of blunders followed by them taking D'Brickashaw and that one fan being wayyyyy too pleased about how smart the team was being with this enormous grin on his face while tapping his temple

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Doltos posted:

It's 100% accurate. Every time I go to the draft the Jets fans moan whoever they pick.

I think they cheered for Sanchez which should tell you enough about that fan base.

They actually booed Sanchez and I went on rant in my friend's living about how they were idiots for dissing a guy who hasn't even had the chance to prove himself. Obviously he turned out to be an atrocious pick, but I still stand by my argument. He was the best decision for the organization at that point in time.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Agreed. Butt fumble couldn't have happened to a more perfect organization.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

John Brown posted:

They actually booed Sanchez and I went on rant in my friend's living about how they were idiots for dissing a guy who hasn't even had the chance to prove himself. Obviously he turned out to be an atrocious pick, but I still stand by my argument. He was the best decision for the organization at that point in time.

I heard cheers. Jets fans are notorious for wanting a QB. It's their holy grail. Even when Pennington was throwing decent balls around they were clamoring for a franchise QB.

Every Jets fan I knew was talking up Sanchez for weeks after the pick because they just didn't want to be disappointed.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I think they booed Sheldon Richardson too, which is hilarious since he could be the best pick they've made since Revis.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Draft Insider Tony Pauline reports the Rams, Ravens, and Eagles appear to be the "frontrunners" to draft Texas A&M WR Mike Evans.

Although it sounds to me like the Rams are leaking that to let people know the #13 spot is available for trade (Baltimore has #17).

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

John Brown posted:

Think I might request off on Draft Day because why the hell not? Although, I don't think I've ever watched the entirety of rounds 2 & 3.

Is it worth it?

It depends, does your team plan on making hilariously bad picks, trading up/down a lot, and essentially try to out-think themselves? If so you'll be in for a great time.

Plus, half the fun of the draft is immediately rationalizing how the Guard with an injury history your team took in the first round was a steal and a supremely wise move because X Team was surely going to take him with the next pick!

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Seeing as "my team" is the Cowboys...then yes.

They will likely do most of the aforementioned mistakes.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
He's the best compliment to Austin but quick was a good prospect so it's a shame

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

Ozu posted:

I think they booed Sheldon Richardson too, which is hilarious since he could be the best pick they've made since Revis.

I prefer Mo Wilkerson.

On another note, I'm not buying into the Jimmy Garoppolo love. It's easy to fall in love with his stats but he stands out to me as a "jack of all trades master of none" type QB. His ceiling is probably Alex Smith.

I see a guy with below average arm strength, poor deep accuracy and side arm delivery. On top of that he took most of his snaps out of the shotgun in college. He has a very fast release, is decisive with the ball and doesn't make bonehead mistakes but is that enough to push a guy into the 1st round?

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Draft Insider Tony Pauline reports the Rams, Ravens, and Eagles appear to be the "frontrunners" to draft Texas A&M WR Mike Evans.

Although it sounds to me like the Rams are leaking that to let people know the #13 spot is available for trade (Baltimore has #17).

This is the 2nd time I'm saying this itt, but there is no way Evans falls past Pgh at #15

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

This is the 2nd time I'm saying this itt, but there is no way Evans falls past Pgh at #15

This is the 2nd time I'm saying this itt, but the WR class is so amazingly deep that no one should be surprised if Evans or Watkins dip because of it. Many high picking teams might wait on WR because they can get a high quality one in the second round.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I don't know if they'd pass on Gilbert or Dennard.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Toymachine posted:

I prefer Mo Wilkerson.

On another note, I'm not buying into the Jimmy Garoppolo love. It's easy to fall in love with his stats but he stands out to me as a "jack of all trades master of none" type QB. His ceiling is probably Alex Smith.

I see a guy with below average arm strength, poor deep accuracy and side arm delivery. On top of that he took most of his snaps out of the shotgun in college. He has a very fast release, is decisive with the ball and doesn't make bonehead mistakes but is that enough to push a guy into the 1st round?

yeah

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I guess I should be thrilled with the idea of Evans falling to Baltimore since I'm not sold on either of the top two safeties and drafting an RT in the first is stupid (unless Robinson or Matthews falls, which they won't). Thing is I think Evans has a ton of bust potential. He doesn't have a full route tree under his belt, he benefited greatly from the time afforded him by JFF broken plays, he's a bit of a hot head, and an OPI machine. Hands and size are great but not everybody is going to be Alshon Jeffery. I'm wary of anybody that struggles to get consistent separation in college.

Still, he pairs with Torrey Smith beautifully and I doubt anyone else who could be there at 17 would be more worth the pick. Dude just really scares me.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

This is fun.

Rotoworld posted:

According to Draft Insider Tony Pauline, the "feeling league wide" is the Patriots will draft a quarterback in May because they "expect to lose" Ryan Mallett after the upcoming season.

Mallett is entering the last year of his rookie deal. The Pats have shown some interest in Virginia Tech QB Logan Thomas. New England has drafted six quarterbacks since stealing Tom Brady in the 2000 sixth round. They are Rohan Davey, Kliff Kingsbury, Matt Cassel, Kevin O'Connell, Zac Robinson, and Mallett.

What a list.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Zerilan posted:

I don't know if they'd pass on Gilbert or Dennard.

I don't think they're sold on Dennard, and most mocks don't have Gilbert slipping past the Lions. Tomlin seems really enamored with Gilbert though, I agree

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Kevin O'Connell rules

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Every one of those quarterbacks would have owned if they weren't drafted into Tom Brady's shadow.

Except Mallett.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

This is fun.

What a list.

That's out of a bunch of low round picks, Cassel was a pretty good hit, so yay. I expect the Pats will probably draft a QB, but anywhere from the 3rd-7th, so who cares.

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Kevin O'Connell rules

I loved how the Jets snatched him up and made him a captain against the Patriots. That kind of gamesmanship is loving hilarious. I hated that he was so loving awful he got cut after a year though.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

This is fun.

What a list.

Just because they hit in the 6th round with Tom Brady doesn't mean they're failures for not finding their next franchise QB in later rounds of the draft

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Zero chance Mallett doesn't get a huge resigning contract with the Patriots now that Lombardi is there.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Pats draft Manziel, bench him for three years, makes us all enraged.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mallett and O'Connell were third-round picks, just fyi. That's not "we're down to only nobodies" territory.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kalli posted:

That's out of a bunch of low round picks, Cassel was a pretty good hit, so yay. I expect the Pats will probably draft a QB, but anywhere from the 3rd-7th, so who cares.

With Brady being 37 they might actually consider drafting a QB higher this year (or next). Brady only has 3 or 4 years left on his contract, now'd be about the time they'd want to seriously start looking for an heir apparent.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

This is fun.

What a list.

They drafted the prettiest coach in the world though

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Doltos posted:

Pats draft Manziel, bench him for three years, makes us all enraged.

If Manziel falls to the 3rd round so this can happen, then we should all be mad at the entire league.

Azhais posted:

With Brady being 37 they might actually consider drafting a QB higher this year (or next). Brady only has 3 or 4 years left on his contract, now'd be about the time they'd want to seriously start looking for an heir apparent.

That's unlikely. What QB's are getting drafted in the first two rounds to sit behind established starters? Kaepernick behind a thoroughly unimpressive Alex Smith is the closest I can come up with. If you jump back 9 years you can add Rodgers to the list, but that comes with a bunch of caveats like Favre threatening to retire every year.

Mallett and O'Connell were third-round picks, just fyi. That's not "we're down to only nobodies" territory.

Eh, they whiffed bad on O'Connell ahead of a couple decent players, but it's not like the guys past Mallett are worth worrying about (and maybe it turns out Mallett can even play (unlikely)).

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Have the Pats even.. like.. drafted well, at all, in the past few years, is my real question. I guess maybe some of 2010 was good?

e: Haha 2009 draft started with Patric Chung, Ron Brace and Darius Butler. oof

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Have the Pats even.. like.. drafted well, at all, in the past few years, is my real question. I guess maybe some of 2010 was good?

What's your opinion on Rutgers defensive backs

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Intruder posted:

Just because they hit in the 6th round with Tom Brady doesn't mean they're failures for not finding their next franchise QB in later rounds of the draft

Eh, I think the hand-wringing over "losing Ryan Mallett" is the funny part. I mean I can see why everyone's champing at the bit to get their hands on him, what with his career 17 passing yards and the long history of successful ex-Pats QBs.

If he was actually any good they'd just hold onto him, it's not like he has a resume that'd drive up his price in free agency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krackleburt
Aug 24, 2008

Kalli posted:

That's unlikely. What QB's are getting drafted in the first two rounds to sit behind established starters? Kaepernick behind a thoroughly unimpressive Alex Smith is the closest I can come up with.

Brock Osweiler, I guess? That's about it.

edit:

2013 posted:

1 16 EJ Manuel QB Florida State Buffalo Bills
2 39 Geno Smith QB West Virginia New York Jets
3 73 Mike Glennon QB North Carolina State Tampa Bay Buccaneers
4 98 Matt Barkley QB USC Philadelphia Eagles
4 110 Ryan Nassib QB Syracuse New York Giants
4 112 Tyler Wilson QB Arkansas Oakland Raiders
4 115 Landry Jones QB Oklahoma Pittsburgh Steelers
7 221 Brad Sorensen QB Southern Utah San Diego Chargers
7 234 Zac Dysert QB Miami (Ohio) Denver Broncos
7 237 B.J. Daniels QB South Florida San Francisco 49ers