Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Anyway, the real important thing to take away from this little chat, is that ROE limited owns all the face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

tgijsola posted:

Even when you gave it careful thought DGR draft was a trainwreck generator. Slow, bad mana fixing made it such a crapshoot. Plus the tease of having a heavily multicolor set without good fixing to really support it made it such a disappointment.

It wasn't a GREAT format, but I liked it more than Theros so far. Again, more because of the idiots I was forced to draft it with. It was impossible to enjoy a tournament when no one has a playable deck, but when you had at least a couple of competent players it was decent.

That said, I would not willingly play it again.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

tgijsola posted:

Even when you gave it careful thought DGR draft was a trainwreck generator. Slow, bad mana fixing made it such a crapshoot. Plus the tease of having a heavily multicolor set without good fixing to really support it made it such a disappointment.

I don't know what you're talking about, DGR's mana fixing was perfectly fine, you just had to value cluestones and guildgates in pack 1.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

50 pounds of bread posted:

Anyway, the real important thing to take away from this little chat, is that ROE limited owns all the face

I never got to draft ROE. :(

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ScarletBrother posted:

I never got to draft RoE, or Triple Innistrad.

Understand the pain of coming into MtG at the end of the Innistrad Block.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

I am so sorry for those who didn't experience the wonders of DRANAAAAAA!

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

I never got to draft RoE, or Triple Innistrad.

Understand the pain of coming into MtG at the end of the Innistrad Block.

Triple Innistrad is probably my favorite draft format ever. ALL OF THE SPIDERS!

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Boy of Joy posted:

M14 was fine but definitely less interesting stuff going on, unless you REALLY like durdling.

That was me. I'm this guy.

legoman727 posted:

I hate M14 with a passion. Blue was absurdly strong, white was almost unplayable, and it was so loving grindy that elixir of immortality was an actual wincon.

My favorite M14 deck ever was RW control with Flares, Chandra's Outrages, Serras and an Elixir. I think I was a lot more open to the one-of Elixir in standard control because of that experience and getting to use it for myself as a way to improve the quality of my draws.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I think I can speak for many people by saying gently caress GATECRASH DRAFT (aka "Who Went Boros").

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I didn't get as into Innistrad as so many other people. I always felt really pressured to play either WG reliable goodstuff or UW Spirits. I'm sure part of that was my relative inexperience giving me a small comfort zone, but a lot of the other decks also felt like they were built on big gambles for things that might not pay off, like Burning Vengeance, Spider Spawning, etc.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I didn't get as into Innistrad as so many other people. I always felt really pressured to play either WG reliable goodstuff or UW Spirits. I'm sure part of that was my relative inexperience giving me a small comfort zone, but a lot of the other decks also felt like they were built on big gambles for things that might not pay off, like Burning Vengeance, Spider Spawning, etc.

In my experience, you really only went for Burning vengeance or Spider Spawning if you got one in the first few picks. Otherwise you drafted as 'normal', or at least I did.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Did anyone ever actually pull of the Burning Vengeance draft deck?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Entropic posted:

Not personally, but I saw a few people at my LGS do it. Also LSV.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

ScarletBrother posted:

Triple Innistrad is probably my favorite draft format ever. ALL OF THE SPIDERS!

My favorite thing about this format was all the people trying to force this deck or one of the other wacky fringe ones ending up with unplayable piles half the time, so in my opinion Dark Ascension only improved it.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Entropic posted:

Yes, it is GLORIOUS

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I think I can speak for many people by saying gently caress GATECRASH DRAFT (aka "Who Went Boros").

I did. I went Boros. As such I loved the format and hitting for 20+ on t5 with a Wrecking Ogre Bloodrush.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Entropic posted:

Spider Spawning was a better card/deck, but yes, BV was a real archetype.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

Someday I hope they make an Eldrazi planeswalker.

Oh gently caress Emrakul's A Planeswalker

Planeswalker - Emrakul

+2: Target player sacrifices all permanents they control.
-10: All other players lose the game.
-20: All other players in the same building lose the game.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I mean as a limited format.
Draft nearly mono blue durdle with Trading Post/Angelic Combo. It was an alright format. Allowed several archtypes. It just didn't feel very powerful.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

vOv posted:

What did Nissa do this time?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

I did. I went Boros. As such I loved the format and hitting for 20+ on t5 with a Wrecking Ogre Bloodrush.

I often went Boros because, well, it was hard not to, but my favorite Gatecrash draft memory is deciding I'm going to force Simic one night because everyone wants Boros, forcing Simic for two packs, then getting rewarded with Master Biomancer in pack 3. Awful draft strategy, did not deserve to have it work out, but I went 8–0 in games playing all four matches of the night against Boros.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

vOv posted:

Planeswalker - Emrakul

I'm getting a vision of two vintage decks, one going Lotus, Healing Leaves, Channel, OFEAP, -10 it, the other pitching a Simian Spirit Guide to bolt in response.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

vOv posted:

Planeswalker - Emrakul

This approaches rear end Whuppin' territory and then flies right over it.

I like it :getin:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Toshimo posted:

What did Nissa do this time?

Get Eldrazi brainjacked.

Nissa, Eldrazi gently caress-Up
(8)

Eldrazi Planeswalker - Nissa
+2: Search your library for a non-legendary Eldrazi creature and put it onto the battlefield. Shuffle your library.
-4: Target player sacrifices all colored permanents.
-8: You may cast any number of Eldrazi from your hand, deck, graveyard, and from outside of the game without paying their mana costs. Shuffle your library afterwards.

Starting Loyalty: 1

Jimmy Jazz
Dec 25, 2006
Police walked in for me; I wasn't there, 'cause I sure went fast!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Nah son, p1p1 crocanura errday. Could have been my store, but simic was almost always open, usually splashing black. As long as you valued the good early drops highly and picked up the big stuff later, you stood a pretty good chance of beating a good boros deck.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I mean as a limited format.

I thought it was just-ok. The colors weren't very well balanced and Slivers didn't add any particular depth to the format.

Also RoE was such a fun format but DRAANNAAAAAAA :argh: was brutal.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Jimmy Jazz posted:

Nah son, p1p1 crocanura errday. Could have been my store, but simic was almost always open, usually splashing black. As long as you valued the good early drops highly and picked up the big stuff later, you stood a pretty good chance of beating a good boros deck.

I always tried to go Orzhov, seemed to pretty well, lots of 2 drops and fliers, plus reach through extort.

Though I hated triple Gatecrash, it was such an aggro format, I like me my durdles.

Now M14.....mmmmmmm now thats a real format. OH yeah, I'll run all the time ebbs and counter magic and card draw I can find. Mix in a little elixir of immortality, and I was golden.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Get Eldrazi brainjacked.

Nissa, Eldrazi gently caress-Up
(8)

Eldrazi Planeswalker - Nissa
+2: Search your library for a non-legendary Eldrazi creature and put it onto the battlefield. Shuffle your library.
-4: Target player sacrifices all colored permanents.
-8: You may cast any number of Eldrazi from your hand, deck, graveyard, and from outside of the game without paying their mana costs. Shuffle your library afterwards.

Starting Loyalty: 1

Dies to Lightning Bolt. Absolute Garbage. Thanks WotC. :reject:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Also RoE was such a fun format but DRAANNAAAAAAA :argh: was brutal.

Drana was great because it got to the point where people would argue if you saw her P3P1 you should cram her and two swamps into a deck no matter what.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Madmarker posted:

I always tried to go Orzhov, seemed to pretty well, lots of 2 drops and fliers, plus reach through extort.

Though I hated triple Gatecrash, it was such an aggro format, I like me my durdles.

Now M14.....mmmmmmm now thats a real format. OH yeah, I'll run all the time ebbs and counter magic and card draw I can find. Mix in a little elixir of immortality, and I was golden.

I still remember one night of M14 draft, going in on U/G, getting 3 Mystics to ramp into whatever, an Elixir, 2 Divinations, and 7 Time Ebbs (alongside whatever else I played). No one who played against me that night had a good time.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos
What I have seen of Duels 2015 reminds me of Betrayer. It's the black and white aesthetic combined with the Innistrad flavour. Also you use a bow, and there is sneaking and stalking game play in Betrayer. It's funny thinking about all the similarities.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
M14 MonoGreen with Howl of the Nightpack was the poo poo. Every time I drafted it I ended up with 2-3 howl's and a bunch of green junk and won almost every time.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

ScarletBrother posted:

This is one of the few reasons I keep MTGO around, for random sweet flashback drafts. Time Spiral is the most recent one but I've been too busy to play one. :(

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
I bought the single Rise of the Eldrazi common/uncommon playset I've ever seen on eBay, sleeved it up, and it has been entertaining as hell for drafts and sealed deck play. I have every set from Innistrad and up, but this is the one I play the most.

It's too bad Time Spiral or Lowryn block would be an epic endeavor to build, because I've always wanted to try those environments.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I occasionally didn't mind triple GTC draft because occasionally you could hit the nut Orzhov deck and if you didn't get run over by one of the 5 people drafting Boros at the table (or, the 1 or 2 who actually got all the cards while the others stubbornly stuck with RW dregs) extorting people to death just felt very satisfying. Also if I'm not mistaken Orzhov was the best performing guild for 3xGTC and even much-maligned Dimir was (I believe) not far behind, somehow, despite being so poo poo on (thanks to no one drafting it).

To be clear though, triple RTR and full RTR/GTC/DGM draft was way more fun for me because it allowed durdles to come out on top with the great defensive creatures and right mana-fixing.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I occasionally didn't mind triple GTC draft because occasionally you could hit the nut Orzhov deck and if you didn't get run over by one of the 5 people drafting Boros at the table (or, the 1 or 2 who actually got all the cards while the others stubbornly stuck with RW dregs) extorting people to death just felt very satisfying. Also if I'm not mistaken Orzhov was the best performing guild for 3xGTC and even much-maligned Dimir was (I believe) not far behind, somehow, despite being so poo poo on (thanks to no one drafting it).

To be clear though, triple RTR and full RTR/GTC/DGM draft was way more fun for me because it allowed durdles to come out on top with the great defensive creatures and right mana-fixing.

The guy who does those Ars Arcanum limited reports will insist up and down Dimir was the best in triple GTC without accounting for over/under-drafting or that it's the savvy experienced players who can spot when a weak plan is open enough to go in on.

Also he will namesearch and yell at you if you laugh at him for this.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

My favorite GTXx3 draft moment was being the only Gruul drafter, thinking "it would be so nice to open Domri in this final pack", and then it happened. :woop:

So many fun Guilds in GTC, I loved it.

Jimmy Jazz
Dec 25, 2006
Police walked in for me; I wasn't there, 'cause I sure went fast!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The guy who does those Ars Arcanum limited reports will insist up and down Dimir was the best in triple GTC without accounting for over/under-drafting or that it's the savvy experienced players who can spot when a weak plan is open enough to go in on.

Also he will namesearch and yell at you if you laugh at him for this.

Dimir had some great splash cards(shout out to dinrova horror), but I can't recall ever seeing someone win a draft with a base Dimir deck.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Jimmy Jazz posted:

Dimir had some great splash cards(shout out to dinrova horror), but I can't recall ever seeing someone win a draft with a base Dimir deck.

That Ars Arcanum dude was a walking example of misusing statistics. I don't know if he is still that way though.

What he'd do is he'd run numbers, remove none of the outliers, not try and figure out why certain things showed up the way they did, and then work backwards to a conclusion. He also didn't account for small sample size at all, so he'd end up seeing that Dimir info and arguing that it was the best archetype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Okay so I am still a noob at MTG, and I was wondering why Man Confluence is going to be so good an apparently be a card worth money? I understand the important of shock lands such as Sacred Foundry as it is a cost to have that mana RIGHT now, but I don't REALLY see why trading 1 life for any color mana is such a 'holy poo poo' response I keep seeing about it. Can someone explain this to me? :confused:

• Locked thread