Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Bravo for not wishing you'd been abused as a child by an adult responsible for your care, yay!

I was being nice. :( I just remember everytime threads about this sort of thing that came up in GBS threads and the aforementioned attitude was prevalent. Also I like it when people are measured and intelligent about difficult subjects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Bobby Deluxe posted:

QI is a totally different beast because the female panelists actually contribute, whereas every time I watch MtW, it's a pretty much perfect definition of 'token female.'

No 'pretty much' about it anymore.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/feb/25/dara-o-briain-bbc-ban-men-only-panel-shows

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

The problem with the entire atmosphere of Mock the Week is that its like a sixth form common room where a bunch of people who think they're funnier than they actually are loudly competing for attention. It's not something conducive to most female comedians anyway.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Also it, like all comedy quiz shows, is poo poo.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

A good step imo, women are literally half the human race so I'm sure we can eventually drum up enough of them to furnish at least 1/7th of the average panel show cast including host. And it's not like you can protest "but they might not be funny!! It will ruin the programmes!" when Mock the Week allows loving Andy Parsons to be on TV

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I'm fed up tae gently caress with QIs theme music.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Sexism is bad, and everyone but me should do something to end it. Liberalism.txt

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Trickjaw posted:

I was wondering why I liked the threads reaction to Theroux yesterday (its on again now, and nowt else is), it may be that no one brought up that ex-teacher in a 'HURR my teacher never hosed me!Wish she did :q: ' way. Bravo.

Seems judges still view woman-on-teenage-boy sex differently to the man-on-teenage-girl sex issue.......

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

A good step imo, women are literally half the human race so I'm sure we can eventually drum up enough of them to furnish at least 1/7th of the average panel show cast including host. And it's not like you can protest "but they might not be funny!! It will ruin the programmes!" when Mock the Week allows loving Andy Parsons to be on TV
Ah yes, Andy Parsons, the only person to use commas, out loud, repeating the same speech pattern, over and over, until you want to throw him out of a window.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Even without that weird emphasis, he has a voice like bollocks on a cheesegrater. How on earth did he get past a screen test?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

hermand posted:

Is anybody watching Endeavour? I'm finding it a great way to chill out with the wife and a brew - very easy watching, but interesting enough that it keeps you engaged for the 2 hours.

Yes, I love it, but I watched all of Morse and Lewis, so I'm a bit biased in this regard. I really like the characters and 1966 setting, it captures the feeling of the old Morse episodes very well, integrates into them pretty well, and is really nicely shot. Unfortunately the plots and especially the resolutions are a bit outlandish/illogical. But the rest makes up for it in my opinion. Don't like their treatment of the Masons much though, but that's something that was already in the old Morse series too.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Even without that weird emphasis, he has a voice like bollocks on a cheesegrater. How on earth did he get past a screen test?

Also his facial hair is gross.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I think there's a new series of The Trip on, where Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon are on television together eating food. I quite liked the first series although the episode I watched didn't have the same pazazz, that certain jerner say-quo of the first series. It also reminds me of one of my friends who won't shut the gently caress up about cooking.

University Challenge is also over again. I think I preferred the semis to the finals because SOAS were fun.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I too was saddened when SOAS lost. They had my heart. Only Connect is picking back up the week after, which surprsies me as I sort of thought those two shows where scheduled together.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Goons, I need help identifying a show (think this is the third time):
It was a teenage fantasy type thing, about a group of youths (two or more of them may have been related), who stumble into some bleak parallel world. While there there's a scene when one of the dudes finds the girls hand sticking out the ground in a woolen glove, and immediately cuts it with his penknife to check if its real. It may or may not be real.

They get a bunch of artifacts there - a sword, a spear, i think a cauldron, and a magic rock. But when they come back to our world they look like just mundane junk, a brick, a stick, a cup, I think a piece of railing. The fantasy world starts bleeding through, and one of them almost gets stabbed by a spear that comes through either his computer screen, or a TV showing only static. Somehow the kids are to blame for this.

At the end there's a magic unicorn (who gets into our world) and is supposed to sing which is important somehow (I don't remember there being much of a threat or villain, there might have been though). In keeping with the bleak, depressing tone, the reveal is "she sings when she dies" and the oldest dude ends up having to stab the unicorn with the railing/magic spear.

Would have aired either late 90s, early 2000s. I think there was a book too, either before or after.

This is the stuff that keeps me up at night.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Elidor.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
I mentioned a few pages back that I was going to see Robert Webb and Mark Heap in Jeeves and Wooster in Perfect Nonsense in the West End. Well pleased to report that Mark Heap was amazing, and Robert Webb was fantastic. It was only their second night in the parts (the cast changed on Monday), so a few things went wrong, but they stayed in character which only added the humour. Mark Heap never, ever breaks character (even when he's playin Madeline Bassett), but Robert Webb did giggle a few times, especially when MH was playing Stephanie Bing and her Uncle at the same time.

And at the Viking exhibition at the British Museum (the long boat! :black101:) I ran into Hugh Quarshie, who plays Ric on Holby City. He is/was really lovely despite me being a total fangirl :cripes:, and he laughed at my story about the Lewis Chessmen.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Daius posted:

The problem with the entire atmosphere of Mock the Week is that its like a sixth form common room where a bunch of people who think they're funnier than they actually are loudly competing for attention. It's not something conducive to most female comedians anyway.

and it's not conducive to most male comedians. the show is so reliant on its small clique of the same guys.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

A good couple years and a few hundred pages ago I was bemoaning the lack of anywhere to watch the forgetable 2003 BBC series Sack Race (a hidden camera show in which two comedians are employed in two different businesses and have to compete in order to get sacked closest to 3pm on their first day). My teenage self absolutely loved it and at long last a couple episodes have been uploaded to youtube along with newly filmed contestant preamble for some reason. Its probably the only hidden camera show I have ever actually liked and if anyone else remembers it they might also enjoy a watch.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Cerv posted:

and it's not conducive to most male comedians. the show is so reliant on its small clique of the same guys.
and the fact that its poo poo

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Whilst doing other things had Doctors on in the background. They managed to work in a reference to barking spiders. So proud, and composing my letter to Viz now. Do I win £5?

http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meaning-definition-of/barking-spider

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Watching Stewart Lee and Chris Morris crack up at the end of that series has got to be one of my favourite bits of TV this year.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Nice one.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Captain Mediocre posted:

A good couple years and a few hundred pages ago I was bemoaning the lack of anywhere to watch the forgetable 2003 BBC series Sack Race (a hidden camera show in which two comedians are employed in two different businesses and have to compete in order to get sacked closest to 3pm on their first day). My teenage self absolutely loved it and at long last a couple episodes have been uploaded to youtube along with newly filmed contestant preamble for some reason. Its probably the only hidden camera show I have ever actually liked and if anyone else remembers it they might also enjoy a watch.

Watched the first few minutes of this and it reminds me of My New Best Friend which was great but so relentlessly cruel to the people who had agreed to be on it (they clearly had no idea exactly how far Mark Wooton would go) that it came across a bit like a post-modern parody of reality TV.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I'm watching Masterchef and finally the guy in the red shirt from the pre-credit sequence talking about how mental he is shows up. I hated him in the early rounds because of his continual gurning and annoying voice, but I've turned right around after he served a selection of Masterchef finalists literal piss and poo poo (to go from their faces). Please, more contestants, troll the judges of reality shows. I believe in you.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Al2001 posted:

Watched the first few minutes of this and it reminds me of My New Best Friend which was great but so relentlessly cruel to the people who had agreed to be on it (they clearly had no idea exactly how far Mark Wooton would go) that it came across a bit like a post-modern parody of reality TV.

My New Best Friend has always stuck with me as at one point he goes to a photograph on a shelf and rips it up. I like the actor in it, who was also in Shirley Ghostman and one or two other thing, but that series was immense!

available of 4od, natch

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/my-new-best-friend/4od

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Gorn Myson posted:

Watching Stewart Lee and Chris Morris crack up at the end of that series has got to be one of my favourite bits of TV this year.

I'm not sure that Chris Morris lived up to the level Armando Iannucci set in the prior series, but the bit where Morris is tabling satirical animals-in-things, and Lee dismisses "Sausages?" with a slightly taken-aback "Not on their own, no" struck me as a lovely moment.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

That whole bit was great. Morris excels at strange sentences. It's hard to weigh him up versus Iannucci though. I just want Brass Eye and the Armando Iannucci Show back.
Also, what's worse: Farage on HIGNfY, or a prog on Channel 5 called "Gypsies Living on Benefits and Proud"?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I think Morris was better at skewering Lee, but Iannucci was funnier. I love the fact that by the end of the series, Lee is pushed to the point where the best defence for his act is "time passed and something happened". Its the semi-proud look on his face in front of a bewildered Morris that gets me.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Great British Menu are basing the competition around World War 1 and D-Day veterans.

So far names of dishes have included Memories of Normandy, Smoke on the Beaches....

I think all they'll serve up is a big plate of PTSD.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

WastedJoker posted:

Great British Menu are basing the competition around World War 1 and D-Day veterans.

So far names of dishes have included Memories of Normandy, Smoke on the Beaches....

I think all they'll serve up is a big plate of PTSD.

Yeah. I don't think I will be proved wrong but I'm betting spam and powdered eggs will show up.. Possibly bisto on the chef's stockings.

It doesn't take much imagination to make a nice corned (bully) beef hash with loads of flavour, topped with a poached egg. Wouldn't like to have to make it for hundreds, but delia has an awesome recipe for it http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuisine/exotic/american/corned-beef-hash-with-fried-eggs.html

It is really nice, and if you chuck in a bit of black pudding and cherry tomatoes, well, I'm yours.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Trickjaw posted:

Yeah. I don't think I will be proved wrong but I'm betting spam and powdered eggs will show up.. Possibly bisto on the chef's stockings.

It doesn't take much imagination to make a nice corned (bully) beef hash with loads of flavour, topped with a poached egg. Wouldn't like to have to make it for hundreds, but delia has an awesome recipe for it http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuisine/exotic/american/corned-beef-hash-with-fried-eggs.html

It is really nice, and if you chuck in a bit of black pudding and cherry tomatoes, well, I'm yours.

If someone doesn't serve up a dish inside a corned beef tin or one of those sardine tins you open with a key, I'll be mucho disappointed.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oh my god, does 5od only have the three adverts? That BT infinity advert is so grating, nobody should make a deliberately annoying character and then show it 3 times in a row.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
If you enjoy War Films that are more 'War is a gritty boring brutal slog that is loving horrible and nobody wins' Cross of Iron is on iPlayer in the movies section. It might not be Come And See but it is still weirdly entertaining like all war films.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Enjoyed both episodes of The Trip so far, but does anyone else think they're getting on far too well at the moment? There's a massive falling out coming up, I'd say. Probably something to do with the girl on the boat.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Coogan stabs Brydon by episode 5 or I'll give you all £5.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

We're all watching The Great Big Allotment Challenge right now aren't we? It is definitely not like a sketch's satirical stand in for TGBBO.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
W1A is so dull it makes me loving wish we got a Thick Of It spin off insead. Jesus.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Mr. Squishy posted:

or a prog on Channel 5 called "Gypsies Living on Benefits and Proud"?

Is that real? it reads like something off of a daily mail headline generator site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I added the "living" in my haste but otherwise, yeah. I watched literally nothing on it, so maybe it's good? Mustn't judge.