Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Getting to the weirder side of things, some schmuck has made 3D printed armour for barbie dolls. Oh, and it's open-source (what?)

He explicitly mentions he has nothing to do with mattel, which makes the legality of this questionable as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Noyemi K posted:

Oh, and it's open-source (what?)

In this case, that would likely just mean the 3D models and source data and such are under some open-license or another, such as CC, allowing others to create and modify their own versions.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Noyemi K posted:

Getting to the weirder side of things, some schmuck has made 3D printed armour for barbie dolls. Oh, and it's open-source (what?)

He explicitly mentions he has nothing to do with mattel, which makes the legality of this questionable as well.

If he's modeled the armour himself then it's kind of an alright kickstarter, I guess. Someone should also make G.I. Joe-compatible tutus.
As for legality, I don't think it's more illegal than making iPhone-compatible car holders or whatever.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Noyemi K posted:

It's weird, but I don't really see what's so bad about it. People have been making custom doll clothes forever.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Seems completely fair to me. You can't really copyright the idea of "things you can put on a Barbie".

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Pick posted:

Seems completely fair to me. You can't really copyright the idea of "things you can put on a Barbie".

The other thing is that it's mostly to aid in his development of the next generation of Barbie armor and the creation of custom armor sets for backers. He's actually giving away the base files. I've already seen his files for the aegis and sword on Thingiverse.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Well I didn't way it wasn't weird but if it's legal it's alright I guess.

To repent for my sins, I give you... Game of Phones!

quote:

Game of Phones is a totally new kind of card game. Race to find the best or weirdest things on your smartphone to win.

One player picks a card and gets to judge that round. They read the prompt to everyone else. Something like 'Find the best #selfie' or 'Show the last photo you took'. Everyone finds something on their phones and shows the judge, who gets to choose a winner for that round. First to win 10 rounds is the overall winner.

I dunno man... this game sure sounds fun! Isn't facebook basically this?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
The only way to win Facebook is to be a Winklevoss.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Noyemi K posted:

Well I didn't way it wasn't weird but if it's legal it's alright I guess.

To repent for my sins, I give you... Game of Phones!

I dunno man... this game sure sounds fun! Isn't facebook basically this?

Let's see this gem in action.

Ha... ha.
2. No idea what this even supposed to mean. Calendar? What a barrel of laugh.
3. I don't have an instagram account. I lose. My friends could probably get a like in 15 minutes. My sides fell off at that point.
4. A photo of a work-related note about a weekly report that I was too lazy to type into my smartphone. Humour intensifies.
Yep, a party game of the century.

\/\/\/ I am young, I live in a city and I have a job. Oh no, I am a yuppie! :smith:

Paladinus has a new favorite as of 23:16 on Apr 10, 2014

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Paladinus posted:

Let's see this gem in action.

Ha... ha.
2. No idea what this even supposed to mean. Calendar? What a barrel of laugh.
3. I don't have an instagram account. I lose. My friends could probably get a like in 15 minutes. My sides fell off at that point.
4. A photo of a work-related note about a weekly report that I was to lazy to type into my smartphone. Humour intensifies.
Yep, a party game of the century.

Maybe it'd be more fun if you weren't a boring, worthless fun-hating butthole.

Maybe you're the real yuppie, huh, you ever think of that!

Hilarious edit:

#GameOfPhones
#MotorolaIsComing
#YouWinOrYouVerizon
#WhatDoWeSayToDeath?NotTMobile

Drunk Tomato has a new favorite as of 23:11 on Apr 10, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

The only way to win Facebook is not to play.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Starting a failed bitcoin business with Facebook settlement money doesn't seem like much of a victory.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
My main issue with the Barbie armour is home 3D printing still looks like rear end. It's so loving grainy, like those giant lego models at Legoland. I guess more power to people who want their doll covered in voxelized plastic, but it just looks nasty to me

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
It doesn't look the best but I would have loved it as a little kid. I think he mentioned in the description as well that he was inspired to make it for his niece before deciding to release it on the world, and that's nice :3:

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003

Fatkraken posted:

My main issue with the Barbie armour is home 3D printing still looks like rear end. It's so loving grainy, like those giant lego models at Legoland. I guess more power to people who want their doll covered in voxelized plastic, but it just looks nasty to me

Yeah, but that's with the printers on the market right now... He's making the files available, too, and when the printers get better so too will the armor.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

KittyLitter posted:

Yeah, but that's with the printers on the market right now... He's making the files available, too, and when the printers get better so too will the armor.

Also, it's because it's using PLA and not ABS. ABS is really easy to finish, you just pour acetone on it and the striations fuse into a solid-looking surface.

Young Freud has a new favorite as of 16:42 on Apr 11, 2014

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Father of four wants five thousand dollars so he can become a Lp superstar.

Dumbass posted:

So I figured I would post it here as an update for anyone else who may wonder about it too.

I am living off my income taxes right now. And my funds are running low. So with a part time job and the money I will be able to pay rent for a year. That way I will have time for the Youtube videos. Other wise I will have to get a full time job and only have time for maybe one video a month. I just started the Youtube channel and I know it will take about year to get any kind of audience and that is only if I can make weekly videos and have set schedule that my viewers can really on. So to put it in simple terms, I will use the money to live off of so that I may have time to create these Youtube videos.
:downsbravo:

E:
vvvvv
Oh wow, you did. Sorry, but I read this thread on and off at times. Browsed through the last three pages, and managed to miss your post :doh:

Tin Tim has a new favorite as of 20:19 on Apr 11, 2014

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

I could have sworn I posted that a page ago.

But yeah, he's a fool if he thinks he's gonna make it off one video per week, or one video per month. The superstars have daily/twice-daily vids.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Noyemi K posted:

I could have sworn I posted that a page ago.

But yeah, he's a fool if he thinks he's gonna make it off one video per week, or one video per month. The superstars have daily/twice-daily vids.

The funny thing is there's a crowd funding service for that kind of thing already at Patreon, but you sort if need to be actually creating content and grow the audience from there. Lot of terrible stuff on there but at least they're forced to grow organically rather than try to promise the moon on a scam.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Unguided posted:

Starting a failed bitcoin business with Facebook settlement money doesn't seem like much of a victory.

To paraphrase that one Bitcoin text adventure game: two guys who are famous for not inventing Facebook have invested in Bitcoin. This is a good thing for Bitcoin.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
Please kickstart my My Fanmade Doctor Who Episode. Or my very clever satire of the bible.

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003
Want people to think you are a dick? Too lazy to tell them?

Now there's the "Dicktie" - it's a necktie that looks like a dick!

Wear it to court during your sexual harrassment hearings! Tie it on before your next client shows up! FUN FOR ALL!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1645162459/the-dick-tie

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

KittyLitter posted:

Wear it to court during your sexual harrassment hearings! Tie it on before your next client shows up! FUN FOR ALL!

I am reminded of the episode of Always Sunny in Philadelphia where the gang was trying to make merchandise for the pub and Dennis and Mac came up with a towel with a picture of a dick on it.

Basically, Paddie's Pub has found Kickstarter.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

KittyLitter posted:

A necktie is already an arrow pointing at your cock. This is just overkill.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

KittyLitter posted:

Finally, a tie that makes certain to inform companies they should never hire you, and if they already hired you well it's probably a Right to Work state so enjoy your upcoming termination on the basis of whatever they feel like because you're the kind of person that wears a dick tie.

Hello Meow
Nov 9, 2009

0/10 for not calling it the Zombible.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

KittyLitter posted:

Never again will someone feel compelled to question your knowledge of the penal codes in this country.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Never again will someone feel compelled to question your knowledge of the penal codes in this country.

<don't explain the joke>

There's a difference between penal code and penile code, you know… :downsrim:

</don't explain the joke>

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
Is your watch accurate? Ok, but is it accurate to 1 second in a thousand years? Is it worth carrying a large radioactive box on your wrist to make it so?

Introducing the world's first true atomic wristwatch

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Serak posted:

Is your watch accurate? Ok, but is it accurate to 1 second in a thousand years? Is it worth carrying a large radioactive box on your wrist to make it so?

Introducing the world's first true atomic wristwatch

They say it's not radioactive. They also say it's six thousand dollars if you want one of these attractive bad boys! Only two left!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

quote:

In 100% atomic clock mode, the watch consumes a great deal of power and can therefore only run 3-4 hours in this mode. However, via the interface it is possible to set parameters that cycle the full atomic mode on and off based on a schedule, and this allows the watch to run off the charger for up to 36+ hours.
So in the best-case scenario, it'll run for a day and a half? Holy poo poo, sign me up! If only other time-telling devices could match this level of performance.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
That watch is ugly as hell.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Didn't even realize it was a legit company at first, seems to be the owner's pet project.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I like that $100 gets you a coconut. A plain, generic, coconut.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

quote:

Pledge $6,000 or more

8 backers Limited (2 left of 10)

For a $6000 pledge you will be one of the lucky six people who will obtain the very first Cesium 133 prototype watches.

Someone on that project can't do math.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
And of course it's already way over it's goal. :what:

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Hello Meow posted:

0/10 for not calling it the Zombible.

I don't get it. It's not a rebuttal of the Bible from an atheistic perspective, though it does reintepret events from the Bible naturalistically e.g. algae turned the Nile red.

This isn't even funny in a wacky way, like Jesus being eaten by zombies: " Hell nor the devil came into being until 300 years after Jesus died."

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

William Bear posted:

I don't get it. It's not a rebuttal of the Bible from an atheistic perspective, though it does reintepret events from the Bible naturalistically e.g. algae turned the Nile red.

This isn't even funny in a wacky way, like Jesus being eaten by zombies: " Hell nor the devil came into being until 300 years after Jesus died."

It reminds me of when somebody kickstarted a version of Tom Sawyer with every instance of the word "friend of the family" replaced with the word "robot" as some pants-on-head retarded statement on censorship.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
That watch is hideous, but you can be immensely smug about knowing EXACTLY what time it is. In 3-4 hour bursts.

Monster Town! Because really, who needs competent art in a card game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Finally, a tie that makes certain to inform companies they should never hire you, and if they already hired you well it's probably a Right to Work state so enjoy your upcoming termination on the basis of whatever they feel like because you're the kind of person that wears a dick tie.
The only time I've ever been completely in favor of Right to Work.