Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

My nickname is gonna be Next-Genocidal and I'm just gonna legdrop PS4s all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
If you wait a couple months you'll be able to build a combat suit out of discount WiiU's and Xbones. Call yourself Scrap-Iron man.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

If you wait a couple months you'll be able to build a combat suit out of discount WiiU's and Xbones. Call yourself Scrap-Iron man.

Quick, someone email Adam Pearce!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

When did the Undertaker become known as the GUY backstage/the cornerstone of the WWE? Either explicitly stated on TV or reports of him taking a very active role in helping/keeping people in line backstage.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Neodoomium posted:

And all the history nerds go BANANA

Especially if they named their tag team/group finishing move the Royal Embargo.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Spikeguy posted:

When did the Undertaker become known as the GUY backstage/the cornerstone of the WWE? Either explicitly stated on TV or reports of him taking a very active role in helping/keeping people in line backstage.

Probably around the time everyone that anyone else influential had either not yet risen to prominence or was drugged out of their mind most of the time.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Has anyone been eliminated from the Royal Rumble that wasn't supposed to? Not like jobbers, but someone big

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Has anyone been eliminated from the Royal Rumble that wasn't supposed to? Not like jobbers, but someone big

Macho Man eliminated himself in 1992, but they let him back in with the excuse that it didn't count since nobody threw him out.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

I heard rumours that the ending to the 2005 Rumble was botched and it wasn't supposed to be a double-elimination scenario, but I have no idea how credible they were.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Perry Normal posted:

I heard rumours that the ending to the 2005 Rumble was botched and it wasn't supposed to be a double-elimination scenario, but I have no idea how credible they were.

This was a double secret probation botch. Cena was supposed to go out, but Batista accidentally went out with him. Then they stalled for time while Vince came out. Then Vince blew both his quads on the way to the ring.

Due to this mess, they almost ran out of PPV time, so with very little back and forth, Batista just dumped Cena again.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Spikeguy posted:

The rough outline I put together is that Taker lined up with guys like Bret, Yokozuna etc., maybe as a response to the Cliq, and I would imagine given how hated the Cliq was, his group became the default guys most people trusted/asked for help. He had a crew at one point called BSK (back stage krew) which is the big tattoo on his torso. I guess as Bret and others left through the years, and new guys came in, Taker was the one constant and naturally assumed a leader role. It didn't hurt that he generally is regarded as a professional and showed respect for the business so it wasn't hard for guys to look up to him.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

This was a double secret probation botch. Cena was supposed to go out, but Batista accidentally went out with him. Then they stalled for time while Vince came out. Then Vince blew both his quads on the way to the ring.

Due to this mess, they almost ran out of PPV time, so with very little back and forth, Batista just dumped Cena again.

It's interesting when you watch the video of this, it's only about two-and-a-half minutes from the time they both go out until they restart it, but it feels much longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QLe_tAQ2Rs

All in all they handled it really well though, and I give the referees a ton of credit for almost immediately splitting the call along Raw/Smackdown lines.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Alex Riley when he was Miz's lackey as champ went out in the 11 Royal Rumble before he was supposed to.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I'm pretty sure that Batista has gone on the record admitting that the Rumble ending was botched.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is Colt Cabana's Five Dollar Wrestling any good? I say this as someone who loves MST3K.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

gfanikf posted:

Is Colt Cabana's Five Dollar Wrestling any good? I say this as someone who loves MST3K.

yes. yes it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUPg8_8ukNk

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 11, 2014

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

The Monkey Man posted:

I'm pretty sure that Batista has gone on the record admitting that the Rumble ending was botched.

That's probably the truth, but Batista can be incredibly full of poo poo. He's been giving interviews lately insisting that he was always supposed to be a heel upon his return and winning the Rumble.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

That's probably the truth, but Batista can be incredibly full of poo poo. He's been giving interviews lately insisting that he was always supposed to be a heel upon his return and winning the Rumble.

He came across to me as being heelish in the leadup with "Yeah, of course I'm going to win. I'm Batista," but admittedly I did not see every Batista promo.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Supreme Allah posted:

The rough outline I put together is that Taker lined up with guys like Bret, Yokozuna etc., maybe as a response to the Cliq, and I would imagine given how hated the Cliq was, his group became the default guys most people trusted/asked for help. He had a crew at one point called BSK (back stage krew) which is the big tattoo on his torso. I guess as Bret and others left through the years, and new guys came in, Taker was the one constant and naturally assumed a leader role. It didn't hurt that he generally is regarded as a professional and showed respect for the business so it wasn't hard for guys to look up to him.

I brought it up in the Network thread, but you can see shades of it as early as the 1992 Rumble, when Savage eliminates himself to go after Jake Roberts. Taker is the guy legit separating the two, and going back after Savage when he tries for Round 2 against Jake.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Hockles posted:

I brought it up in the Network thread, but you can see shades of it as early as the 1992 Rumble, when Savage eliminates himself to go after Jake Roberts. Taker is the guy legit separating the two, and going back after Savage when he tries for Round 2 against Jake.

Did they have legitimate problems with eachother backstage?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

MrJacobs posted:

Did they have legitimate problems with eachother backstage?

Someone else would have more info on it, but the feud was based around Jake torturing Savage and having Damien bite him, and he (didn't really) slapped Elizabeth. As well all know, Savage was super protective of her, so something may have triggered it. Or, it was just two dudes that were really into their characters and the psychology.

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.
First in the CM Punk DVD, now with the Daniel Bryan MW XXX special, WWE has been giving ROH a lot of on-camera love and promotion. Do they have some sort of quid-quo-pro?

(eta to fix phone dropping the ROH, gah)

SirDippingSauce fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 12, 2014

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Diabolik900 posted:

It's interesting when you watch the video of this, it's only about two-and-a-half minutes from the time they both go out until they restart it, but it feels much longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QLe_tAQ2Rs

All in all they handled it really well though, and I give the referees a ton of credit for almost immediately splitting the call along Raw/Smackdown lines.

They also got pretty lucky in that they both landed at the exact same time.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

He came across to me as being heelish in the leadup with "Yeah, of course I'm going to win. I'm Batista," but admittedly I did not see every Batista promo.

They definitely wanted him to be face, the several weeks of "Behold the returning hero, Batista, as he stands in front of crowds at the mall that love him! He's coming back!" ads should be proof enough of that.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

SirDippingSauce posted:

First in the CM Punk DVD, now with the Daniel Bryan MW XXX special, WWE has been giving a lot of on-camera love and promotion. Do they have some sort of quid-quo-pro?

what

edit: also Back Stage Krew is the corniest poo poo I have ever heard of

maybe you mean ROH. yes there is certainly some quid pro quo as far as ROH is being compensated by either money or publicity and the WWE gets to use their footage

Five Apples
Mar 11, 2008

THIS IS WHAT I AM

epitasis posted:

what

edit: also Back Stage Krew is the corniest poo poo I have ever heard of

It gets better, since no one knows really whether BSK stood for "Back Stage Krew" or "Bone Street Krew."

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Five Apples posted:

It gets better, since no one knows really whether BSK stood for "Back Stage Krew" or "Bone Street Krew."

People weren't aware of it, even, until Undertaker got it tattoed right on his chest and everyone was asking about it after WrestleMania 28 (he got it sometime before then).

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
The streak might've died but at least it was broken by a fellow terrible chest tattoo owner.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Five Apples posted:

Broken Streak Krew.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Michael Hayes: "Bad Street Krew! I gave him the name, you know!"

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

Shima Honnou posted:

They definitely wanted him to be face, the several weeks of "Behold the returning hero, Batista, as he stands in front of crowds at the mall that love him! He's coming back!" ads should be proof enough of that.

Yeah. Heels don't get on their knees and kiss the ring.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Except Rusev.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

dsriggs in the new Larry Sweeney memorial thread posted:

He pulled a not-terrible match out of Bryan Alvarez, so that's something.

Was Alvarez a lovely wrestler? Never actually seen one of his matches, although I'd love to see him do one more match vs. Lance Storm.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Thauros posted:

Was Alvarez a lovely wrestler? Never actually seen one of his matches, although I'd love to see him do one more match vs. Lance Storm.

He's actually wrestled Storm, though Lance was under a mask, at his local indy a couple of years ago. He's fine. Not spectacular by any means, but technically sound and has a good grasp of psychology. If he thought he was even close to capable of making it to WWE, he might've put more effort into travelling to get more experience and who knows, but as it is, a guy doing it part-time as much for fun as anything, you could do worse.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

He's actually wrestled Storm, though Lance was under a mask, at his local indy a couple of years ago. He's fine. Not spectacular by any means, but technically sound and has a good grasp of psychology. If he thought he was even close to capable of making it to WWE, he might've put more effort into travelling to get more experience and who knows, but as it is, a guy doing it part-time as much for fun as anything, you could do worse.

The WWE doesn't hire minors.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Am I remembering correctly JR making a call at one time to the effect of "TAP YOU SONOVABITCH TAP!"? Or am I totally making this up in my head?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Cole made a call of "Break his drat ankle" in a Kurt Angle match once.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

He was acting totally different than he is now as a heel and feuded with Alberto Del Rio. Either the WWE are masters of subliminal messaging and reverse psychology or Batista's full of poo poo.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
With regards to Batista's return; the WWE pretty much did the exact same thing they used to do in the AE when the crowd didn't react the way they wanted them to: they rolled with it. Batista was very much supposed to be a triumphant face coming back and after the crowd shat on him (because of a pile of reasons like his gassing and winning the RR) WWE just went with it instead of fighting it. Now he's a full-blown heel.

If Batista says anything different, he's full of poo poo and will change his story the second a big name calls him out on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Batista and HHH were foreshadowing an eventual heel turn (or feud) with how chummy he acted towards the Authority, but it obviously wasn't coming right away.