Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

homo punching bag posted:

Pretty sure it's just a Green Lantern pun. Aren't the rings powered from fear or something? Or was that Paralax?

Green Lantern rings are powered by willpower. The parallax thing comes from a retcon where Hal Jordan went evil and killed an entire city but they wanted to bring him back later as a good guy so they made it so that actually parallax was an entity of fear (the opposite of willpower I guess) and the only place they could imprison him was the main GL power battery and he actually possessed Hal making what he did not his fault. Also Parallax was yellow which is why the rings didn't work against yellow (they aren't anymore (I don't know if they changed this with new 52)).

But yeah the rings generally pick people who are "fearless". Or if you just happen to be around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

homo punching bag posted:

Pretty sure it's just a Green Lantern pun. Aren't the rings powered from fear or something? Or was that Paralax?

It is a Green Lantern pun, Hal main characteristic on the 80's-90's was being fearless and nowadays is being able to overcome fear.

Green Rings are fueled by willpower while Yellow are powered by fear.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

zoux posted:

Green Lantern rings are powered by willpower. The parallax thing comes from a retcon where Hal Jordan went evil and killed an entire city but they wanted to bring him back later as a good guy so they made it so that actually parallax was an entity of fear (the opposite of willpower I guess) and the only place they could imprison him was the main GL power battery and he actually possessed Hal making what he did not his fault. Also Parallax was yellow which is why the rings didn't work against yellow (they aren't anymore (I don't know if they changed this with new 52)).

But yeah the rings generally pick people who are "fearless". Or if you just happen to be around.

Actually, willpower isn't the opposite of fear, courage is. The opposite of willpower would just be laziness.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ravane posted:

Actually, willpower isn't the opposite of fear, courage is. The opposite of willpower would just be laziness.

Well there ain't a ring of courage bud.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
More to the point, when the rings pick out new recruits, they go 'Person of X, you have the ability to overcome great fear. Welcome to the Green Lantern Corps."

So yeah, its a joke on how a certain Ferris aircraft pilot gets to qualify for a job as a space cop.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Ravane posted:

Goon Lanterns?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
______ of Something Awful, you have the ability to overcome great cheese burger. Welcome to the Goon Lantern Core

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
"Just got a prius, can I join the Green Lantern now?"

"GODDAMNIT JEFFREY, I TOLD YOU WE'RE NOT AN ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION GROUP. YES, WE PROTECT THE EARTH, BUT WE DON'T GIVE A poo poo ABOUT GOING GREEN!"

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

boom boom boom posted:

what a horrible slogan for a commercial airline

It sounds like a Qantas slogan actually.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Ravane posted:

They have hope powered Lanterns, and it seems to me that hope is the opposite of fear. But in the comics it's the opposite of rage, which doesn't make any sense, shouldn't that go to the love powered Lanterns? at least compassion being the opposite of greed works

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

boom boom boom posted:

They have hope powered Lanterns, and it seems to me that hope is the opposite of fear. But in the comics it's the opposite of rage, which doesn't make any sense, shouldn't that go to the love powered Lanterns? at least compassion being the opposite of greed works

The emotional spectrum isn't quite actual opposites, but each has various properties that can bounce off some of the others. The blue light of hope weakens both red rage and orange greed, because it soothes the former and offers a better tomorrow, whilst for the latter hope gives dreams and aspiration that override the selfishness of greed. Its also the most powerful of the seven basic lights, because hope is the power and desire for miracles.

At least, that's the logic the comics run on.

The love ones (Star Sapphires) meanwhile kinda run both ways, in that they can be both the good 'power of love' archetype that was at the heart of many a magical girl series, or axe crazy 'lovers scorned', obsessed with a very twisted ideal. They formed out of the latter but started shifting over to the former, especially as members question the logic in being about love when they weren't, well, actually fostering, supporting and encouraging love. When it goes all out, it can use the bonds that people have with each other to ensure they are not taken apart - even by death.

The Indigo Lanterns... can actually be kinda twisted, because for a while, if you ended up part of their Corps, compassion was forced on you. You became so concerned with everyone and everything else you lost all sense of personal being.

Things have shifted since then, but I stopped reading the GL books after the New 52 hit.

That said, I would actually like to see a GL show maybe spinoff from either Arrow or the upcoming Flash series. Both to redeem the concept to mass audiences, but also just to definitely cement the idea of a TV universe that DC and CW can get going.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I wasn't sure up till now but I can now say with confidence that this thread has well and truly slipped into hiatus mode.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Astro Nut posted:

That said, I would actually like to see a GL show maybe spinoff from either Arrow or the upcoming Flash series. Both to redeem the concept to mass audiences, but also just to definitely cement the idea of a TV universe that DC and CW can get going.

I can't even begin to imagine how bad the special effects would be for a GL TV show.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Krad posted:

I can't even begin to imagine how bad the special effects would be for a GL TV show.

Go full practical. Just have giant, papier-mâché fists painted green everywhere.

This is also my plan for a Hulk TV series.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Phylodox posted:

Go full practical. Just have giant, papier-mâché fists painted green everywhere.

This is also my plan for a Hulk TV series.

Hulk is really just a rip-off of Jekyll and Hyde. They should make a tv series out of that, though. A hulk tv show would just do more harm than good.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Ravane posted:

Hulk is really just a rip-off of Jekyll and Hyde.

Hulk is a rip-off of Jekyll and Hyde where the twist is the giant brutish monster is the good one, although that isn't a facet of the character non comic media tends to embrace all that often.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ravane posted:

Hulk is really just a rip-off of Jekyll and Hyde. They should make a tv series out of that, though. A hulk tv show would just do more harm than good.

People are aware that there was a TV show, right? Or is this at the point of ancient history and I should accept the inevitable march of time leading to my own death?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqZuhrDM5vE

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Boogaleeboo posted:

Hulk is a rip-off of Jekyll and Hyde where the twist is the giant brutish monster is the good one, although that isn't a facet of the character non comic media tends to embrace all that often.

The Hulk isn't good or bad. He's not some 'roided out Forrest Gump, he's a force of nature too stupid to direct his rage and strength towards anything unless it's punching him in the dick.

He's not a twist on Jekyll and Hyde, unless you're talking about SOME current iterations of him.

He's an everyman's power fantasy with some strong subversions - the ability to be all powerful but no opportunity to appreciate it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Ravane posted:

There's the BBC show from a few years back.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Some Numbers posted:

I was actually making a reference to "Do No Harm" which was a 2013 NBC series based on Jekyll and Hyde.

It was cancelled after two episodes.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Some Numbers posted:

Jekyll is a loving amazing series and should be watched immediately.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Ravane posted:

I was actually making a reference to "Do No Harm" which was a 2013 NBC series based on Jekyll and Hyde.

It was cancelled after two episodes.

And it wasn't even that bad. It was just a 1hr drama on NBC during the last 8 years. You know, canceled.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

And it wasn't even that bad. It was just a 1hr drama on NBC during the last 8 years. You know, canceled.

Grimm is on its third season and got renewed for a fourth.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Jekyll is a loving amazing series and should be watched immediately.

With a typical bullshit punchout Moffatt ending. "HYDE IS THE POWER OF LOVE" :wtc:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

eriktown posted:

With a typical bullshit punchout Moffatt ending. "HYDE IS THE POWER OF LOVE" :wtc:

The actual, final scene made no sense to me and I choose to believe it doesn't exist.

The rest of the series is really good though.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Some Numbers posted:

Grimm is on its third season and got renewed for a fourth.

That is the exception. 90% of Nbc shows have been canceled in the last 8 years. Plus Grimm is the only show they have getting decent numbers in the same demo as Arrow.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

In that show didn't Hyde hire people to kill Jekyll?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

In that show didn't Hyde hire people to kill Jekyll?

As far as I remember, no, but Jekyll had him effectively suppressed through drugs for life 5 years and it really pissed Hyde off to the point, when Hyde was in control, he put him in an impossible situation with a stolen drug dealers car and a lot of drugs.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Are there any disabled superheroes? Or superheroes with congenital dwarfism?

I think I'd like to read about a superpowered man with Down's syndrome.

I, of course, don't mean Xavier or Daredevil. Xavier doesn't need to walk and Daredevil can see with his ears. That's cheating.

I mean superheroes that are significantly disadvantaged. Like the Flash with no legs. Or cyclops.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puck_%28comics%29

quote:

Puck is about half the size of the average man. His condition causes him varying amounts of constant pain.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Yeah, but he's not disadvantaged or anything. I mean, his superpower is being able to run into things and knock them down. If he were in "pain"-pain, I doubt he'd do that. I think he had a fake version of achondroplasty, which caused that pain. (edit: welp, I guess they said that in the wiki.)

Kinda by definition if you're a superhero you're NOT disabled, though.

The Hulk's retarded, though.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 14, 2014

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oracle.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I was just answering the dwarfism part.

There's tons of blind superheroes.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Blob's pretty fat.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Aphrodite posted:

I was just answering the dwarfism part.

There's tons of blind superheroes.

Being a super hero usually makes the disability much less severe than it realistically. Like Daredevil is only blind in the loosest, most liberal definition of blindness.

But, technically, you could say he's legally blind.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MrFlibble posted:

Being a super hero usually makes the disability much less severe than it realistically. Like Daredevil is only blind in the loosest, most liberal definition of blindness.

But, technically, you could say he's legally blind.

Yeah right, I mean, Dr. Midnight's blind, but he's literally the best surgeon in the world and talks to a loving owl or something for gently caress's sake.

None of these people is inconvenienced in any way shape or form by their supposed disabilities. The only superheroes inconvenienced in any way are the ugly ones.

I've never seen a legit superhero with any actual physical problems that they have to learn to live with in any serious way. Well, Tony Stark was an alcoholic (IT'S A GENE) but even then, whatever. The only thing you have to worry about being a superhero is (if you're a woman) how you're going to be raped or killed or (if you're a man) how your girlfriend is going to be raped or killed.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 14, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Echo is deaf. Hal Jordan is literally retarded.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Drifter posted:

Yeah right, I mean, Dr. Midnight's blind, but he's literally the best surgeon in the world and talks to a loving owl or something for gently caress's sake.

None of these people is inconvenienced in any way shape or form by their supposed disabilities. The only superheroes inconvenienced in any way are the ugly ones.

I've never seen a legit superhero with any actual physical problems that they have to learn to live with in any serious way. Well, Tony Stark was an alcoholic (IT'S A GENE) but even then, whatever. The only thing you have to worry about being a superhero is (if you're a woman) how you're going to be raped or killed or (if you're a man) how your girlfriend is going to be raped or killed.

So you've never read Birds of Prey, I take it.

But

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

zoux posted:

Echo is deaf. Hal Jordan is literally retarded.

Well she's kinda with Daredevil in that she's only technically deaf, but speaking of Echo, Taskmaster has literal Super-Alzheimer's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There's tons of hosed up mutants like Glob, Ugly John, Beak, Martha Johnson, etc.

• Locked thread