Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

Darthemed posted:

Ripley's Believe It Or Not will be replacing Cheap Thrills Cuisine in my line-up for the foreseeable future. It's put together and illustrated by John Graziano, believe it or not.

oh god, it heralds the return of superfrog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Percy Crosby's Winter Vacation Skippy (January 21, 1927)

Peanuts (April 14, 1967)

:argh: MY FATHER, JOHN DARLING :argh: Actually, Batiuk's been reading his mail, because it's "my DAD, John Darling" today. This is what passes as "progress" in a reality-based comic strip.

Dipping into the Popeye mailbag:

Drimble Wedge posted:

I don't like Popeye anyway, but I can't believe they've managed to wring a week's worth of strips out of "Popeye has no surname".

A week, you say...you really have been skimming this story, haven't you?

Rip Haywire plants a fresh crop of complications.

Pogo (April 13, 1956)

Out Our Way (October 13-14, 1924)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

amishjosh posted:

oh god, it heralds the return of superfrog
I'd actually forgotten about Superfrog, but now I've got my fingers crossed that it will make a triumphant return.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

As saccharine and horrible as Rose is Rose usually is, I laughed at this one. I'm not particularly proud of that, understandably.

Darthemed posted:

I'd actually forgotten about Superfrog, but now I've got my fingers crossed that it will make a triumphant return.

Just yesterday I happened to remember Superfrog, but not why I knew about it or where it was from. Man, I hope we get a good one.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Did Batiuk seriously drop Ego The Living Planet into this dreck, or is this an edit?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Green Intern posted:

Did Batiuk seriously drop Ego The Living Planet into this dreck, or is this an edit?

Just to let you off the hook: Yes he did, and considering all the comic book Sundays he throws at us, it is most definitely the type of reference he'd drop. Not a clue if it actually fits the character, though.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

EasyEW posted:

Just to let you off the hook: Yes he did, and considering all the comic book Sundays he throws at us, it is most definitely the type of reference he'd drop. Not a clue if it actually fits the character, though.

There is no loving way a reference to Ego the Living Planet fits any character. Maybe that biker comic store owner, but nobody else. gently caress off Batiuk, don't you drag Ego the Living Planet into this poo poo.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

What a completely original idea!

I wonder what was the point of doing a Dick Tracy TV show if Tracy was hardly in it. I mean, other than that Tracy's head would be hard to animate, especially on a low-budget, cheapo cartoons like these.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Quality poo poo here.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Midnight Moth posted:

[On the Fastrack

For some reason I thought we were in for an Easter egg joke.

Lenore is a raven, right? Has anyone ever mentioned to Holbrook just how big those fuckers are?

NatGeo says the average wingspan of the common raven is anywhere from roughly 4-5 feet.

Seriously, just look at this bird:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

catlord posted:

There is no loving way a reference to Ego the Living Planet fits any character. Maybe that biker comic store owner, but nobody else. gently caress off Batiuk, don't you drag Ego the Living Planet into this poo poo.

Now let's be fair here, there have been more obscure references coming from even stranger places.

RZA, from the song Impossible posted:

My occupation to stop the innauguration of Satan
Some claim that it was Reagan, so I come to slay men
like Bartholemew, cause every particle is physical article
was diabolical to the last visible molecule
A space night like Rom, consume planets like Unicron
Blasting photon bombs from the arm like Galvatron

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Rap has been on comic books since the genre began.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Kennel posted:

It's odd how Winnie the Pooh looks so sterile and still manages to so ehm.. edgy? (by mainstream comic standards)

Yeah, it's an odd one, but Disney comics seem to be able to get away with having a bit more modern humor, despite what you might think of Disney. The Duck Tales and Scrooge McDuck comic books were finely crafted bits of storytelling, and even 1930s Mickey had him attempting suicide or Donald murdering Goofy.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Lenore is a raven, right? Has anyone ever mentioned to Holbrook just how big those fuckers are?

NatGeo says the average wingspan of the common raven is anywhere from roughly 4-5 feet.

Seriously, just look at this bird:

Yeah, and just look at these absolutely enormous fuckers!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Calaveron posted:

That's a hummingbird.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Stultus Maximus posted:

That's a hummingbird.

Who look about as big as a raven because like those pictures that guy posted, there's no point of reference.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Calaveron posted:

Who look about as big as a raven because like those pictures that guy posted, there's no point of reference.

Other than the "4-5 feet" text?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
No, you're absolutely right, they OH DEAR GOD

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Magic Hate Ball posted:

No, you're absolutely right, they OH DEAR GOD

"Dinsdale!"

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dinsdale weren't no hummingbird. He was a hedgepig!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Dewgy posted:

"Dinsdale!"

The first genuine laugh I've had all day. Thanks.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Dinsdale weren't no hummingbird. He was a hedgepig!

Poseur spotted. Dinsdale was the gangster being chased. Spiny Norman was the hedgehog.

e: for the young and or confused https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZkWL-XvO0U https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-FDW1shmqA

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 12, 2014

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Calaveron posted:

I tried as hard as I could to find some images of ravens in flight with yardsticks in them, but strangely enough those don't exist. :iiam:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Holy poo poo, Bernice. :stare:

Apartment 3-G

I heard a fawn bleat once. Surprised the hell out of me, since I didn't really think of deer as making noise.

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Is he flying feet-first, in addition to everything else? This strip never stops delivering. :allears:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Calaveron posted:

I've seen one of those monsters carry off an entire cow.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Props for the actually realistic trolls.

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Oh, Brother

Humanoid Female
Mar 13, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Just yesterday I happened to remember Superfrog, but not why I knew about it or where it was from. Man, I hope we get a good one.

Superfrog was by me, and I am always so amazed and heartwarmified by how many people still want it to come back. It's been YEARS and while I haven't really thought seriously of doing more of it, I don't totally rule it out or anything, some day when I have the spare time again.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Sluggo is an opportunist.

edit: nancy has something to say

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 12, 2014

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

This thread is great and y'all are great. :)

Mark Trail elicits little more from me than a hollow laugh.

Buz Sawyer faces mob justice.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Wanamingo posted:

Four Eyes

Props for the actually realistic trolls.

This strip can be funny on the rare occasions it ventures into actual humor rather than lazy "here's five of a nonsensical thing" dribble

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Humanoid Female posted:

Superfrog was by me, and I am always so amazed and heartwarmified by how many people still want it to come back. It's been YEARS and while I haven't really thought seriously of doing more of it, I don't totally rule it out or anything, some day when I have the spare time again.

Superfrog was awesome, and if you choose to do more that will also be awesome. If not, Superfrog will always live on in our hearts. :love:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It looks like Pastis has just made Pearls a comic about him now (at least for this story arc).

He's not actually single in real life.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Indolent Bastard posted:

Poseur spotted. Dinsdale was the gangster being chased. Spiny Norman was the hedgehog.

Well..gently caress. I have been bested.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Manuel Calavera posted:

Well..gently caress. I have been bested.

I knew if I kept being ever more pedantic I'd eventually win at the internet. Truly my finest hour.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 12, 2014

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

Too soon, Judge Parker writers, too soon.

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn

I think Brooke mistakenly posted an old Texaco road map instead of a comic.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

EasyEW posted:

:argh: MY FATHER, JOHN DARLING :argh: Actually, Batiuk's been reading his mail, because it's "my DAD, John Darling" today. This is what passes as "progress" in a reality-based comic strip.

She is holding that camera way too close.

Julet Esqu posted:

Apartment 3-G

So, this is the beginning of Tommie's descent into madness?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I certainly hope so.

vvv Whoops! Fixed it!

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Tiggum posted:

"What's that Lily? Human flesh? Sure, just let me turn the car around!"

Julet Esqu posted:

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

You have Phantom twice.

• Locked thread