Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
This may be a better question for the device thread, but I figured I'd do an informal poll of Sprint Note 3 users here. Do you have problems with vibration intensity on your phone? It was always fairly weak for me, but now it's practically nonexistent. If I go into the sound and vibration settings, the intensity is set at maximum, but you can barely feel it. If the phone is sitting on a desk or in a pocket, it's completely unnoticeable.

I feel like it got worse after installing the KitKat update, but I may just be attributing it that recent change. Just curious if anyone else has the same problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
I've had the opposite problem with my Note 3, the default vibration settings are too high. I had to turn it down, otherwise the whole office can hear my phone when someone calls me.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

bigpolar posted:

God yes. It's not worth dealing with it if it costs more.

Actually, if SERO ended, I'd probably go with a dumb phone on AT&T and buy a Nexus 7,and depend on wifi for any Internet while out of the house. The barely usable Internet in so many places makes me realize how easily I can go without it.

To be fair it's only Sprint. ATT TMo and Verizon are rock solid nearly everywhere in my city and Sprint is the only one where you have a chance of connection less than 50% of the time nearly everything else is at least 90-95% connection. And I'm in an LTE refarmed city. When I do get data it's between 2mbps and 20mbps but it drops if a sparrow flies by. My chance of completing a speed test is about 40% on any given day/location.

Hopefully Spark fixes it with more and better LTE bands but who knows.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

bigpolar posted:

God yes. It's not worth dealing with it if it costs more.

Actually, if SERO ended, I'd probably go with a dumb phone on AT&T and buy a Nexus 7,and depend on wifi for any Internet while out of the house. The barely usable Internet in so many places makes me realize how easily I can go without it.

Data plans on pretty much all 3 other carriers (and there are also prepaid options) start at $45 for unlimited call, text and 300-500MB of data, while dumb phones are still $35-40 a month, so might as well do a smartphone either way.

Seriously, after working in wireless for 5 years and seeing prices skyrocket, it is crazy to see them go down like crazy in a 2 month time period. Verizon is still holding out a bit, but everyone is way cheaper than they were 1 year ago. Thanks TMobile!

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Mine's at maximum and yeah the whole office can hear it but that means so can I when I'm in someone else's cube.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

iluvpr0n posted:

I'm in the same boat and have been relatively happy, comparatively, with the EVO 4G LTE with recent software updates. One random question though: I have some small bluetooth headphones that I use and are barely in range with my EVO in my pants pocket. It works, but if I move my hand in weird ways/etc, it can interrupt the sound very briefly. Any idea if the bluetooth transmitter would be more powerful in the M8 vs. EVO? I never see this kind of thing mentioned in reviews, so I don't know if all phones are equal or if there'd be differences between manufacturers.

*edit*
I should add that I know my slight problems are caused by the weakness of the reception on my headphones (other bluetooth speakers I use pick up sound easily for many feet, if not a room away). Just wondering if this would somehow be a happy coincidence that a new phone would have more bluetooth juice for whatever reason.

Although this is probably of interest to no one else, I did end up getting a One M8 and the bluetooth audio to my headphones is definitely coming through with fewer (ie, none so far) interferences from having the phone in my pants pocket. I couldn't get the firewater S-off deal working (it just said my device was unsupported), but otherwise I'm happy with it.

ChadBroChill17
Sep 6, 2007
Plato, Heidegger, Aristotle, LOL
I've asked on the official Sprint forums, but figured it'd be worth trying here as well.

I have the HTC One M8 and it has the worst coverage ever. Most of the time I have no data connection or phone service. I can't make calls, and when I do manage to get a call out it drops half of the time. I travel for work so this isn't a sustainable situation. I really like the device itself, but if Sprint can't get their poo poo together I'll have to send it back. I can't update the profile or PRL, which is one of the proposed solutions I've seen out there.

Anyone else have this issue or have any ideas on something I can do to actually use my phone other than as a glorified iPod?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
sprint.txt :ssh:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Did your service work fine before? If it did, id say get that phone swapped because it sounds like the Cellular radio isn't working right, or your antenna is borked.

ChadBroChill17
Sep 6, 2007
I had the HTC Evo 4g and yes it worked before. I've read a lot of other folks having the same issue or similar issues and Sprint keeps saying it's something related to them not having all of their towers upgraded yet for 4g LTE. I don't know what any of this poo poo means, I just want my phone to work. :(

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

ChadBroChill17 posted:

I had the HTC Evo 4g and yes it worked before. I've read a lot of other folks having the same issue or similar issues and Sprint keeps saying it's something related to them not having all of their towers upgraded yet for 4g LTE. I don't know what any of this poo poo means, I just want my phone to work. :(

lol they were repeating this same shtick to me verbatim a couple years ago on my galaxy s2. your phone isn't the problem, sprint's network is.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

this_is_hard posted:

lol they were repeating this same shtick to me verbatim a couple years ago on my galaxy s2. your phone isn't the problem, sprint's network is.

The galaxy s2 wasn't LTE, so in that particular case, that line is a bunch of bullshit. But with LTE phones if the area is in the process of actively being upgraded, yes signal is going to be complete garbage for 2-6 months while they install back haul and hang panels.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ChadBroChill17 posted:

I've asked on the official Sprint forums, but figured it'd be worth trying here as well.

I have the HTC One M8 and it has the worst coverage ever. Most of the time I have no data connection or phone service. I can't make calls, and when I do manage to get a call out it drops half of the time. I travel for work so this isn't a sustainable situation. I really like the device itself, but if Sprint can't get their poo poo together I'll have to send it back. I can't update the profile or PRL, which is one of the proposed solutions I've seen out there.

Anyone else have this issue or have any ideas on something I can do to actually use my phone other than as a glorified iPod?

Could be Spark. What state do you live in? We can see if you're in an incumbent area with an issue.

ChadBroChill17
Sep 6, 2007
Washington DC.

I think it has to be a hardware thing. It's not like my data connection drops from time to time. Yesterday I was on the mall and lost a friend while biking and sat there for 10 minutes trying to call him and it would never go through. I can't imagine they'd push out a product that flat out doesn't work almost 100% of the time (Sprint.txt?).

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Any Sprint goons have a membership over at S4GRU.com that has expired after the initial 6 months?

I made a "donation" 6 months ago to join, probably ~$10. I received notification today that my membership has expired, and I would need to make another donation to remain a Sponsor Member. For only $60 (if received by April 26:rolleyes:), I could get Premier Sponsor status and a complimentary Asperger diagnosis from the forum doctor.

Immediately I PayPaled the Owner/Administrator another few bucks, and got this gem of a response:

quote:

We received the donation. But we really cannot accept donations amounts so low. We accept a dollar or two from new members so they can see the benefits of supporting the site. We need on average $20 per donation to pay the site's expenses.  Maybe you just were not aware that we need more than just a couple of bucks.
If you don't think S4GRU is worth more, we understand. I am refunding your donation you made today.

I've never paid for a forum membership other than the :10bux:+Platinum I PayPaled to Lowtax more a decade ago. At least I got to see him get his rear end kicked by Ewe Boll.

Is it against Paypal's policy to solicit mandatory payments for goods/services while referring to them as Donations with a PayPal "Donate" button? Is he doing so to get out of paying fees on those donations, or having to declare the payments as income for tax purposes?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
It always expires after six months but I didn't know he set some kind of unlisted minimum now. I think I paid $5 on two separate occasions to get access to the maps but I don't think I'm going to do it again.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

ChadBroChill17 posted:

Washington DC.

I think it has to be a hardware thing. It's not like my data connection drops from time to time. Yesterday I was on the mall and lost a friend while biking and sat there for 10 minutes trying to call him and it would never go through. I can't imagine they'd push out a product that flat out doesn't work almost 100% of the time (Sprint.txt?).
You're in a market that shouldn't have any issues with the new tri-band LTE eCSFB stuff.

And the M8 is said to get better reception than its predecessors.

Sounds like you have a bad phone. Get it exchanged.

ChadBroChill17
Sep 6, 2007

td4guy posted:

You're in a market that shouldn't have any issues with the new tri-band LTE eCSFB stuff.

And the M8 is said to get better reception than its predecessors.

Sounds like you have a bad phone. Get it exchanged.

I'll call them tomorrow

The guy on the Sprint page told me they are working on upgrades out here and that was the issue. He told me to turn it to CDMA. When I do that, my phone reception works fine but I have zero data connection.

loving Sprint.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

ChadBroChill17 posted:

I'll call them tomorrow

BUT HOW???

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ChadBroChill17 posted:

I'll call them tomorrow

You'll call now. :colbert:

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You'll call now. :colbert:

Thank you for this! My brother and I say that all the time.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

goku chewbacca posted:

Any Sprint goons have a membership over at S4GRU.com that has expired after the initial 6 months?

I made a "donation" 6 months ago to join, probably ~$10. I received notification today that my membership has expired, and I would need to make another donation to remain a Sponsor Member. For only $60 (if received by April 26:rolleyes:), I could get Premier Sponsor status and a complimentary Asperger diagnosis from the forum doctor.

Immediately I PayPaled the Owner/Administrator another few bucks, and got this gem of a response:

I've never paid for a forum membership other than the :10bux:+Platinum I PayPaled to Lowtax more a decade ago. At least I got to see him get his rear end kicked by Ewe Boll.

Is it against Paypal's policy to solicit mandatory payments for goods/services while referring to them as Donations with a PayPal "Donate" button? Is he doing so to get out of paying fees on those donations, or having to declare the payments as income for tax purposes?

If someone's trying to take payments but call them donations you should probably tell PayPal. Their special charity rate is still only for legit provable 501(c)(3) orgs but it's still pretty sketchy to basically sell a subscription service for a "minimum" donation on the sly like that. He probably doesn't want to take the fee hit for taking legit sales payments because I think donations are processed at a different rate or something. Basically the guy's circumventing the AUP/TOS/UA whatever by selling a content subscription but claiming it's a donation.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

SpelledBackwards posted:

Thank you for this! My brother and I say that all the time.

This is my favorite version.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

ChadBroChill17 posted:

I'll call them tomorrow

The guy on the Sprint page told me they are working on upgrades out here and that was the issue. He told me to turn it to CDMA. When I do that, my phone reception works fine but I have zero data connection.

loving Sprint.

I'm in the DC area too and I was on Sprint for 6 years. I finally switched to T-Mobile yesterday and it feels like I'm living in the future. I drove from MD suburbs to VA suburbs and had 4G all the way. I downloaded 400mb of Spotify playlists onto the new phone via 4G in minutes. gently caress Sprint.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

lowcrabdiet posted:

I'm in the DC area too and I was on Sprint for 6 years. I finally switched to T-Mobile yesterday and it feels like I'm living in the future. I drove from MD suburbs to VA suburbs and had 4G all the way. I downloaded 400mb of Spotify playlists onto the new phone via 4G in minutes. gently caress Sprint.

"You know, if you wait a couple of more years" -everyone two or more years ago.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

averox posted:

Well, it is legitimately getting better in some places. I bailed for T-Mobile last year after Sprint stopped their NV rollout here for six months, but a friend of mine stuck with them and he has been seeing better service recently. It's taken forever, though, and they still haven't officially launched here even though they were supposed to have done that last June.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Sprint in the Kansas City area is the bomb dot com. There are obvious reasons for this.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Kreeblah posted:

Well, it is legitimately getting better in some places. I bailed for T-Mobile last year after Sprint stopped their NV rollout here for six months, but a friend of mine stuck with them and he has been seeing better service recently. It's taken forever, though, and they still haven't officially launched here even though they were supposed to have done that last June.

I know since I moved from San Antonio (service everywhere I went but my neighborhood in SA was fine) to Austin the service has gotten better enough that I'm probably going to gut out the rest of this contract and then go elsewhere. I can make calls from inside my house now! :downs:

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

nimper posted:

Sprint in the Kansas City area is the bomb dot com. There are obvious reasons for this.

Ummm. Do you mean Sprint is good or bad? Sprint is poo poo almost everywhere in KC. The Sprint campus is horrid as is most of the area around the campus and downtown.

Are you on a Spark phone?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

averox posted:

I signed up for sprint in 2012 and just renewed late last year, if it doesn't get better by the time I'm up for renewal again I'm bailing.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Got my Galaxy S5 this friday and it is loving AMAZING coming from the GNex. My god it feels so good to go almost 2 full days with pretty heavy usage and still have like 40% battery. If I go camping the ultra power saving mode will be a godsend.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Glad to hear that some of you are getting improved services. Sprint is poo poo in the Eastern Shore and the best thing I ever did was get rid of them and jump on Verizon. I no longer drop calls in my own loving house or for that matter anyone else's house.

ChadBroChill17
Sep 6, 2007
I really think the issue is Sprint's lovely network and not my M8.

There are a lot of posts from folks in the DC metro area having the same issue. And it seems like it's widespread across the country.

Is there a phone that I can use my upgrade on that won't have these issues (I guess that means no LTE) and not feel like I'm screwing myself over getting something outdated? I need my phone for work and this isn't going to cut it.

ChadBroChill17 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 13, 2014

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

ChadBroChill17 posted:

I need my phone for work and this isn't going to cut it.

If I absolutely had to rely on my phone for anything, I wouldn't be on Sprint.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
gently caress Sprint, gently caress my friend.

Friend went into Sprint with my framily code, walked out in one of the associate's framily because it was cheaper.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

deimos posted:

Friend went into Sprint with my framily code, walked out in one of the associate's framily because it was cheaper.

This system seems really open to abuse. I don't think Sprint intended for this stuff to happen but it's probably the only way they could keep customers, because otherwise they were losing everyone to Verizon or T-Mobile.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

deimos posted:

Wow, associate's aiming people at partly filled framily plans should be a pretty serious employment offense otherwise horrid things are going to happen.

Especially doing this, as you did the leg work sent him in with a code then he got co-oped for the associates benefit. This is incredibly bad for Sprint.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

I just dropped my HTC One (M7) and cracked the corner of the screen. I'm pretty sure the LCD is fine. What am I looking at to get the screen replaced and should I go through sprint or one of those third party repair stores? I cancelled insurance a few months ago :(

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

fyallm posted:

Mine's at maximum and yeah the whole office can hear it but that means so can I when I'm in someone else's cube.

I noticed last night that screen rotation wasn't working on my phone, despite it being enabled. Toggling it off and back on didn't fix it, so I rebooted. Now my phone's vibration is back to normal.

:iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

mcpringles posted:

I just dropped my HTC One (M7) and cracked the corner of the screen. I'm pretty sure the LCD is fine. What am I looking at to get the screen replaced and should I go through sprint or one of those third party repair stores? I cancelled insurance a few months ago :(

If there is more than one crack and it is over an inch long, a Sprint repair center will not touch it. Even if it falls within these guidelines, expect the tech to want nothing to do with it. The fee for exchanging the unit without insurance is $75, but the potential chargeback for the tech is significantly higher.