Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Someguy posted:

As much as I love his current bits and want them to continue, they are probably too clever for large network audiences. Look at the most popular late night skits, they are all stuff like Leno's 'Jaywalking' and Fallon's 'Thank you notes' and Letterman's 'Top Ten List'. Nothing as smart or interesting as Cheating Death. I feel like network show runners will have him dumb down his material to appeal to a wider (and older) demographic.

My biggest fear is that they will mostly become vehicles for 'celebrity' related humor or name drops, like all the other late night poo poo currently is.

edit: I was bored and looked up popular late night bits (because I don't really watch any of the shows) http://talkshows.about.com/od/davidletterman/a/Top-5-Recurring-Segments-On-Late-Show-With-David-Letterman.htm, http://talkshows.about.com/od/jayleno/a/Top-5-Recurring-Segments-On-The-Tonight-Show-With-Jay-Leno.htm, http://talkshows.about.com/od/jimmyfallo/a/Top-5-Recurring-Segments-On-Late-Night-With-Jimmy-Fallon.htm

None of these segments sound good at all, what the gently caress.

See, this is something that doesn't worry me. He doesn't really like broad humor, and while I'm sure he'll throw in stuff for the sort of demographics CBS likes for Late Night, he wouldn't even bother if he couldn't put in jokes that he likes. Besides, CBS wouldn't hire Colbert if they didn't want the demographics he's best with. That means he'll still be able to tell his kind of humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Wow, when Shabazz Napier called his team the "Hungry Huskies," he meant it literally. You really can't say enough stuff about how awful the NCAA is.

By the way, that segment said that 40 states' highest paid public employee is its basketball or football coach, but if you include hockey it's 41. Thanks, Vermont.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Apr 11, 2014

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
noooo I wanted Craig Ferguson to get the Late Show. Geoff Peterson could have become mainstream.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Echo Chamber posted:

The Report's been on since 2005. When it ends, we'd have over nine years. We got to see him act as a cheerleader for one president and a critic of another. I'm not going to complain. I also don't fault Colbert for wanting to try something different after a decade.
Yes, who can fault Colbert for wanting to do something much shittier for much more money?

Hazo posted:

Right. That's why I think Cheating Death would be one of the few to bring along, because it doesn't really revolve around the character.
Would that even be legal?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Acquilae posted:

The studio probably picked the Browns because they'd be the cheapest team to license their name for a movie.

Yep, in fact it was originally the Bills.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

CSM posted:

Depends on who owns the rights. When Kilborn left the Daily Show he kept the rights to the Five question thing but TDS kept Moment of Zen.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I don't really think of Colbert as a character anymore, it's more like he's just being sarcastic all the time. He could still do the same kind of jokes/segments, he just wouldn't be restricted to speaking exclusively in sarcasm.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I think it would be pretty dangerous to remove the Colbert character so quickly. There'd be massive backlash from everyone expecting to see Colbert Report 2.0. I think having segments on the show of Colbert playing his character is necessary to avoid a lynch mob.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

CSM posted:

Yes, who can fault Colbert for wanting to do something much shittier for much more money?
People telling him to refuse promotion? To play the same character for another ten years?

I'm surprised Stephen was able to keep his character pretty fresh this long.

Cranbe
Dec 9, 2012

CSM posted:

This, but unironically. How dare he want to earn his market rate! What a sell-out!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Y-Hat posted:

Wow, when Shabazz Napier called his team the "Hungry Huskies," he meant it literally. You really can't say enough stuff about how awful the NCAA is.

By the way, that segment said that 40 states' highest paid public employee is its basketball or football coach, but if you include hockey it's 41. Thanks, Vermont.

For reference:

And I guarantee college administrator is a close second in every state.

Shakugan posted:

I think it would be pretty dangerous to remove the Colbert character so quickly. There'd be massive backlash from everyone expecting to see Colbert Report 2.0. I think having segments on the show of Colbert playing his character is necessary to avoid a lynch mob.

The show ends at the end of the year and they probably won't switch Late Show hosts for a few months after, so that's plenty of time for everyone to forget about Colbert.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 11, 2014

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

comes along bort posted:

For reference:

And I guarantee college administrator is a close second in every state.

Pardon my language a bit, but why the gently caress are sports coaches getting more pay as public employees than your freaking President?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Astro Nut posted:

Pardon my language a bit, but why the gently caress are sports coaches getting more pay as public employees than your freaking President?

Because publicly subsidized farm teams for the NFL are the most important thing, duh.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
Is the UK different with Football/Soccer/Game of Kicks coaches?

e: This cannot be right, down at 450th? At about $15k a year? No no no...

Stormageddon fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 11, 2014

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Astro Nut posted:

Sports teams generate massive amounts of revenue for the college.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also, the President's compensation is dictated by law and much harder to change.

Is this really unusual? I didn't think non-monarchic heads of state were particularly well-paid in general. And athletes get ridiculous pay all over the world.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm still not sure if people outside the U.S. realize how big the Penn State scandal was a few years back. That Paterno getting fired made the university president losing his job a footnote in the headlines.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

haveblue posted:

Is this really unusual? I didn't think non-monarchic heads of state were particularly well-paid in general.

I think that's actually intentional to make sure that people take the job because they want it, not just for the money.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

haveblue posted:

Also, the President's compensation is dictated by law and much harder to change.

Is this really unusual? I didn't think non-monarchic heads of state were particularly well-paid in general. And athletes get ridiculous pay all over the world.

The BBC has an article on this, a few years old, but still roughly accurate. The people most likely to be earning more than the Prime Minister are NHS employees (something like 6000 of them, out of the millions employed, got more than his £142.5k), BBC managers, University Heads, or otherwise governmental.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11333472 Here, you can check out some of the highest earners in various places. Note how all but a few don't even come close to a million pounds.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I am a butthurt baby and I don't want to watch Colbert on whatever weaksauce major network he is on. I will probably stop watching the daily show too because I have pretty much only been watching it so I could watch Colbert afterwards.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 11, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
You know, maybe since his staff writers are coming along, they'd have a solid 14 minutes of dedicated political satire like they do now. I'd be cool with that, so long as I could watch that and then turn off before the stupid loving uninteresting guests came on to be fellated.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Drifter posted:

You know, maybe since his staff writers are coming along, they'd have a solid 14 minutes of dedicated political satire like they do now. I'd be cool with that, so long as I could watch that and then turn off before the stupid loving uninteresting guests came on to be fellated.

I've been watching a few of these shows recently, and generally the first half (22 minutes) is pure comedy. Monologue, wacky segment, etc. The interviews are the second half. So we might still get 22 minutes of quality Colbert humor, which is more than we get now with TCR since I rarely watch the interviews on that show, either.

People are being way too pessimistic. I don't think any changes will actually be that drastic.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Colbert usually has good musical guests so there's a decent chance to close out the show on a good note.

And yea, I tend to watch talk shows for the first two bits, and then unless they are interviewing someone who I'm actually interested in hearing, I'll switch to something else.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Bass Bottles posted:

People are being way too pessimistic. I don't think any changes will actually be that drastic.

Isn't he dropping the entire act? That would be pretty drastic.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Astro Nut posted:

Because president doesn't really pay that much. It's what you can earn afterward from speaking fees that's the perk.

Also it's a little misleading because coaches' salaries come out of their respective athletic departments, which are funded mostly separately from schools, though there's varying levels of subsidies from state budgets and student fees.

Here's a great breakdown of Division 1 schools' funding, which are the biggest programs:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/story/2012-05-14/ncaa-college-athletics-finances-database/54955804/1

Astro Nut posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11333472 Here, you can check out some of the highest earners in various places. Note how all but a few don't even come close to a million pounds.

All but the bottom couple people on this list make more than the US president's salary ($400k/yr). And you have to pay for your own food.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 11, 2014

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Comedy Central should put W. Kamau Bell on at 11:30. Totally Biased was really fresh and funny, and it might be good to replace Colbert with something that doesn't mimic The Daily Show's format quite as closely, get a clean break.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Comedy Central should put W. Kamau Bell on at 11:30. Totally Biased was really fresh and funny, and it might be good to replace Colbert with something that doesn't mimic The Daily Show's format quite as closely, get a clean break.

I agree with this fine poster. I'm disappointed that W. Kamau Bell is off the air. He had some great bits.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I wouldn't really mind something with Larry Wilmore.

rjryan3
Oct 10, 2012

CSM posted:

Go back to GBS.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I wouldn't really mind something with Larry Wilmore.

I would also support this. He's super busy behind the scenes though, a lot of writing and producing iirc.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Miltank posted:

Isn't he dropping the entire act? That would be pretty drastic.

I honestly feel like he dropped the act a long time ago. Compare old clips to new ones.

These days he's just a sarcastic liberal, like pretty much all political comedians. I can imagine Jon Stewart reading a Colbert script and no one noticing.

The only time he still plays a character is during the interview segments.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

I haven't gotten around to watching TDS for the last week, is he still just making GBS threads all over CNN for this flight bullshit? Front page featured story still.

edit: Wasn't saying it was a bad thing for him to, I'm hoping he is.

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 11, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Midnight City posted:

I haven't gotten around to watching TDS for the last week, is he still just making GBS threads all over CNN for this flight bullshit? Front page featured story still.

edit: Wasn't saying it was a bad thing for him to, I'm hoping he is.

It honestly feels pretty stupid because we've been in a stage for a while of people actually, like, doing things. Like I watch CNN a ton and their main coverage for the past week or so has been that they were moving in on a ping and that now they've found that the ping probably is the black box. That is, ya know, news. It's a huge weird thing that happened, there's lots of things to say about it.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Someguy posted:

As much as I love his current bits and want them to continue, they are probably too clever for large network audiences. Look at the most popular late night skits, they are all stuff like Leno's 'Jaywalking' and Fallon's 'Thank you notes' and Letterman's 'Top Ten List'. Nothing as smart or interesting as Cheating Death. I feel like network show runners will have him dumb down his material to appeal to a wider (and older) demographic.
Network audiences are functionally retarded, and I, as an intellectual, am too clever to enjoy the same things they do. :qqsay:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

JohnSherman posted:

Network audiences are functionally retarded, and I, as an intellectual, am too clever to enjoy the same things they do. :qqsay:

I'm not saying "this but unironically", but that's probably pretty close to true. The most successful network television isn't exactly the smartest television. Comedy Central isn't exactly intellectual but the jokes are in fact quite a bit smarter than what you get on network television, particularly CBS.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

JohnSherman posted:

Hate to break it to you but the biggest goonsay was your predictable, hyperbolic shitpost.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Seriously SomethingAwful? Why hate before you see something, I know that's like our thing but cmon this is Colbert, can anyone say with truthiness that he wont own it and redefine late night comedy? No? So shut the gently caress up we still have another year. I grew up with late night TV, Colbert will be awesome just because of everything you are all complaining about.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fragmented posted:

Seriously SomethingAwful? Why hate before you see something, I know that's like our thing but cmon this is Colbert, can anyone say with truthiness that he wont own it and redefine late night comedy? No? So shut the gently caress up we still have another year. I grew up with late night TV, Colbert will be awesome just because of everything you are all complaining about.

Read your post again with a hard T on his name. See if you feel as confident.

Then remember that Late Night is an "institution" and remember that its main purpose is to suck the dick whoever has a terrible movie coming out for an hour+ after a short comedy segment. I'm sure the comedy segment will be ok, but I don't have much faith in CBS giving Stephen free reign.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

And movies used to be black and white and lovely, things change. This might be the defining moment in changing the "institution" Stop being pessimistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Fragmented posted:

And movies used to be black and white and lovely, things change. This might be the defining moment in changing the "institution" Stop being pessimistic.

Ahahahahaha

• Locked thread