Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

One of my players on my use of Masterplan: "This is hilarious, we do the most complex poo poo here and no matter what it is, I just hear 'clickclick' from you and it's done." Also I discovered after the session that you can link tokens to represent curses, marks, shrouds etc. and that's just staggeringly useful.

News from my STR/CHA 12, WIS/CON 18 paladin player: he noted how he wasn't sure which ability scores to increase because "a lot of good stuff for paladins seems to hinge on Charisma." Think he's catching on. Also there was a turn where he left an enemy standing with 2 HP and I couldn't help but remark "you know, if you had higher strength..."

He actually explained his idea a little further, noting that he'd gone for the "stay-in-the-fight attributes rather than the kill-things attributes" and I think for all the "let the guy play like he wants to" I'm doing I'm gonna give him a few pointers about how by writing down "dwarf paladin" he's already done about 100 times more for his staying power compared to other characters than by picking CON 18 even if you project it over 30 levels.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Dumb question: when you crit with a High Crit weapon, are the extra [W]s maxed or rolled?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

P.d0t posted:

Dumb question: when you crit with a High Crit weapon, are the extra [W]s maxed or rolled?

Rolled, just like anything else that only happens on a crit.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

P.d0t posted:

I'm 90% they are meant to be rolled, but my DM let's us maximise them, and I'm fine with that, since it makes my Fullblade weilding Paladin samurai a crit monster.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
They are indeed meant to be rolled.

You max everything you would or could have rolled if you hadn't crit (i.e. stuff like Quarry, Curse, Sneak Attack, the Slayer's Power Strike, Half-Orc Furious Assault, etc etc, even if you only chose to trigger it on that attack BECAUSE you crit, as you can with Quarry for instance) and roll anything you ONLY roll because you crit, High Crit included.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 6, 2014

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Sneak Attack gets maxed on a crit? I'm the worst DM.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yep. Anything that you could roll if you didn't crit, is maxed when you do.

It's one of the main reasons why Daggermaster is so good.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
The Samurai theme isn't quite as good, but it is also fun on a rogue since the encounter power gives you an 18-20 threat range if you beat everyone else in terms of initiative. Rogues have the Unerring Ambush feat in Paragon, which lets you roll twice on all your attacks in the first round of combat if you're attacking someone who hasn't acted yet. Fire up all your minor action attacks and alpha away. Similar results can be had with an Avenger if you can get a good initiative build.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Samurai is insane on an avenger. Coincidentally, avengers also get a power that does maximise all of their dice on a crit. It's a beautiful combo, really.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
My Lawbot can't get RRoT because of the Tempus requirement. :sigh:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Does anyone have any alternate maps for Reavers of Harkenwold? I don't mind how they recycle maps (it's a nice thing if you are using the actual physical maps, but we are using Masterplan so it doesn't matter), but I feel that those who are not outdoors locations are too cramped, and even with the outdoors maps they usually end up having a very tight melee in the edge because the group is very ranged-heavy and the monsters have to move towards them usually. The first and last battle in Toadwallow Caverns were a slog, because the cave mouth was a narrow location. It's an otherwise awesome adventure, and at the start of each session we are having a sort scene (a "vingette" from DMG2) inside the Iron Keep were Nazin is being a cartoon villain and talks about poo poo going on in the valley.

On the other hand, we didn't enjoy The Slaying Stone that much. The macguffin works in way too specific ways to give a gently caress about, the structure of the adventure is too open-ended for a newbie group to handle with their characters still warm out of character creation, and between all this confusion it's difficult for the players to give a gently caress about the various factions of the town.

If I were to run these two adventures together again for a new group, I would do the following (per group level):

1. Run Reavers of Harkenwold Part 1, with all encounters lowered by 1 level.
  2. Run the Slaying Stone, with encounters raised by 1 level. Replace the orcs with Iron Circle mercenaries. Nazin wants the stone for his own plans, maybe change the properties of the stone to match? Also, the wererat could be related to the baron that Nazin keeps prisoner, this could complicate things in an interesting way.
  3. Run Reavers of Harkenwold Part 2, unaltered.

Rexides fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 7, 2014

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Trying to start making a list of races between "normal" and "weird/sci-fi" for D&D 4. Some basic background:

Campaign world being played in is effectively a Dyson Sphere, with the whole "Hollow World" (backwards ancient fantasy) style setting on the inside, and a bit more "science fantasy" stuff on the outside. Though originally separated and unaware of each other, a giant gaping hole is created that allows the two sides to interact. I'm trying to determine where the various PC races should fall between the two sides. So far, what I've come up with is this:

Both
Humans
Eladrin

Hollow World
Dwraves
Elves
Halfings
Half-Orcs
Minotaur
Half-Elves
Dragonborn
Gnomes

Outer World
Warforged
Tieflings
Deva
Bladelings
Changleings
Genasi
Githzerai
Shardmind
Shifter
Thri-kreen
Wilden

Can you think of any major races I missed (except Drow, I dropped the whole conventional underdark thing like a cliched bad habit) or any minor races that would just fit too well into this paradigm?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

rkajdi posted:

Trying to start making a list of races between "normal" and "weird/sci-fi" for D&D 4. Some basic background:

Campaign world being played in is effectively a Dyson Sphere, with the whole "Hollow World" (backwards ancient fantasy) style setting on the inside, and a bit more "science fantasy" stuff on the outside. Though originally separated and unaware of each other, a giant gaping hole is created that allows the two sides to interact. I'm trying to determine where the various PC races should fall between the two sides. So far, what I've come up with is this:

Both
Humans
Eladrin

Hollow World
Dwraves
Elves
Halfings
Half-Orcs
Minotaur
Half-Elves
Dragonborn
Gnomes

Outer World
Warforged
Tieflings
Deva
Bladelings
Changleings
Genasi
Githzerai
Shardmind
Shifter
Thri-kreen
Wilden

Can you think of any major races I missed (except Drow, I dropped the whole conventional underdark thing like a cliched bad habit) or any minor races that would just fit too well into this paradigm?

You probably thought of this, but you could also just use the more recent Gamma World mutations for your sci-fi world. It's roughly compatible with -- if a little deadly for -- 4e.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

homullus posted:

You probably thought of this, but you could also just use the more recent Gamma World mutations for your sci-fi world. It's roughly compatible with -- if a little deadly for -- 4e.

Don't have access to Gamma World, so I didn't even think of it. Also, that stuff seems pretty random-- do you think they'd fit as PC races in D&D mechanically? Right now, it's totally cool in that all the PCs are "Hollow World" races and have been playing on the inside, so I'm not stepping on anyone's toes saying all these random races they haven't encountered are actually not part of their local area.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

rkajdi posted:

Don't have access to Gamma World, so I didn't even think of it. Also, that stuff seems pretty random-- do you think they'd fit as PC races in D&D mechanically? Right now, it's totally cool in that all the PCs are "Hollow World" races and have been playing on the inside, so I'm not stepping on anyone's toes saying all these random races they haven't encountered are actually not part of their local area.

They do fit mechanically as combinations, but not individually as races. In Gamma World, your character is (usually) a combination of two of those mutations, inheriting at-will and encounter powers of each piece. There are no dailies, and the powers are a bit stronger to compensate. So you wouldn't choose "Swarm" as a race and then make NPCs from that, you'd choose "Swarm" and "Rat" to make an individual or a whole species of sentient rat swarms that walk around as a whole entity. The "Rat Swarm" individual/species then has mechanical characteristics that are compatible with 4e, and you would add whatever other flavor you desired.

I am not secretly telling you that your idea is bad to make githzerai (for example) the spacemans, they are the spacemans of 4e anyway with all the Astral Sea stuff. Gamma World just has some of the conversion to sci-fi already done for you, with different damage keywords and a slightly different "feel" to the system. It could be interesting for the damage types alone, because suddenly people do damage types to which the other world has ZERO resistance.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Since there is probably no concept of "day" in a dyson-sphere world anyway, maybe the mechanical difference between the inner and outer worlds would be how daily abilities work.

How is "magic" (in the broad, supernatural sense) work in that world? Is it just sufficiently advanced technology, or just magic? Maybe the inner world features a revolving half-shell around the sun that provides a day-night cycle but also recharges "daily" abilities for those individuals who possess them, while on the outer world you can recharge your "daily" abilities at power outlets or something.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Dailies recharge after an extended rest, they work just the same in 4E locations without day/night cycles (e.g. elemental chaos, pandemonium). I don't think I as a GM could find a good reason why, say, a fighter's daily would be tied to celestial movements.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Yeah, I know. I am just saying that in that world it could be ~~~different~~~

e: I was actually expecting someone to say that my idea is stupid because it will completely mess up encounter creation rules, not because fighters.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
The pull of the moon makes your sword arm stronger

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rexides posted:

Since there is probably no concept of "day" in a dyson-sphere world anyway, maybe the mechanical difference between the inner and outer worlds would be how daily abilities work.

How is "magic" (in the broad, supernatural sense) work in that world? Is it just sufficiently advanced technology, or just magic? Maybe the inner world features a revolving half-shell around the sun that provides a day-night cycle but also recharges "daily" abilities for those individuals who possess them, while on the outer world you can recharge your "daily" abilities at power outlets or something.

I had day and night work with "moons" (small bodies in orbit of the central sun) eclipsing the sun. Also gave the ability to create areas that never or rarely ever had sun due to permanent eclipse, which created a pretty spooky area that was just Not Right for the PC to explore.

Magic is going to be broadly supernatural, though some of the more advanced races have magic/technology/alchemy hybrids, and the Eldarin are straight up Craftworld Eldar from 40K. Science-Fantasy on the outer world I had ideas of being more like He-Man or Thundarr than Star Wars, with no space travel available and most people still crushing poo poo with swords and bows, plus the occasional giant robot because why not? Realistic no, but D&D is a poo poo simulation of anything resembling reality so I'm going more for a Grant Morrison/Rick Remender comic book feel. So crazy high concept stuff that's internally consistent but doesn't hold up if you try to carefully examine it.

One idea I was tossing around was no "normal" humans existing in the outer world. Muls, Kalashtar, and Revenants/Vrykola take their place as altered humans. Would give an interesting and different feel to what's going on there.

I get this isn't running D&D "properly", in that I'd probably be better using a different game system, but it's the system I can get players for and everyone at the table is cool with it.The fact that it makes my very genre strict (i.e. no technology more advanced than an X-Bow, game is literally ye olde renn faire) ex-DM's eye tweak every time he hears about it probably is some positive reinforcement for me. I'm a little worried I'm writing myself into a corner about doing future campaigns in the same world, but for this campaign everything is golden.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

killstealing posted:

The pull of the moon makes your sword arm stronger

"I am the moon" now becomes a game-breaking use of Bluff.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rexides posted:

Yeah, I know. I am just saying that in that world it could be ~~~different~~~

e: I was actually expecting someone to say that my idea is stupid because it will completely mess up encounter creation rules, not because fighters.

It's a cool idea, but the campaign has been going for over a year, so the boat for changing how you get powers back sailed awhile ago. I just thought of the idea of making the outer world inhabited too, and am just trying to spitball it into something interesting instead of just an odd plot point that doesn't get touched on too much.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

For those of you who've done so, how well does "eliminate the 'day,' everything recharges after each combat" work out? I was considering making dailies encounter powers and regular encounter powers reliable, then halving everyone's number of healing surges (if that's even necessary...), but while I remember people here loving their games without the adventure-day concept, I haven't played in a game like that and I don't remember what everyone was doing.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

tzirean posted:

For those of you who've done so, how well does "eliminate the 'day,' everything recharges after each combat" work out? I was considering making dailies encounter powers and regular encounter powers reliable, then halving everyone's number of healing surges (if that's even necessary...), but while I remember people here loving their games without the adventure-day concept, I haven't played in a game like that and I don't remember what everyone was doing.

The current "adventuring day" Gygaxian sacred cow holdover mechanic is very ingrained in the system. If I have all my dailies on every fight, I am pretty much going to open every fight in the exact same way. Encounter-long dailies and dailies that completely cripple monsters become way better, and they are already more or less the best.

In order for this to balance out, enemies need to get significantly beefier and/or have more ways to invalidate shutdown/stunlock tactics. Solos have to find ways to ignore even more effects (and they are already considered underwhelming without help, especially if they don't have a "ignore stun/daze" free action). Party DPR is going to go way up because you are going to get a super-saiyan-level party nova on every fight, especially with a strong leader.

So, it can be done, but you are looking at making "hard" level encounters or harder in every battle.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Formulaic.

Even with the current structure, fights can get a bit formulaic at Epic when you all have amazing encounter powers that pretty much go in a specific sequence, especially for leaders and strikers.

Plus, if everyone opens with dailies every fight, you just wind up playing initiative-tag with the Wizard.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
I think the easier fix would either be to have narrative "days" where the DM controls the pacing or extend long rests to something like "a long weekend of downtime at a safe place".

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Much. DOn't feel hamstrung that a long rest should happen every time the party sleeps, or indeed that the party should have to sleep to have the benefits of a long rest. Have it happen at narrative-pace-appropriate points.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I find it paces out nicely if you run a good variety of adventure types. Sometimes, the party will be fully rested for every fight and other times, they will have to stretch their resources through a tough slog. Dailies work fine in that context.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I've thought about just having one daily per fight (call them something else). They'd be like an emergency power, or Uber power. It could use some tweaking, but that is how I would go about it.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
Days = Sessions for my group, and we pace things around that expectation.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Dailies should be really cool things that have a big impact imo, not things you just pop every fight.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

killstealing posted:

Dailies should be really cool things that have a big impact imo, not things you just pop every fight.
When given the chance, most groups I've seen will pace themselves around 2-3 battles per long rest, maybe as many as 4 if they do well. Increasing the average difficulty of encounters (and thus, adjusting for more Daily usage in that way) with reasonably long sessions (4-5 hours, and not too much time lost on "hmm mwhat will I do, okay move and MBA") should hit about that same point, with the added bonus that you can throw big important fights at them and know they'll be ship-shape because you'll start them at new sessions.

ImpactVector posted:

I think the easier fix would either be to have narrative "days" where the DM controls the pacing or extend long rests to something like "a long weekend of downtime at a safe place".
This also works.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

The Leper Colon V posted:

This also works.

It depends how fun "downtime" is.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

P.d0t posted:

It depends how fun "downtime" is.
Maybe it's just because I'm too used to Mouse Guard now, but I feel like downtime is going to happen sooner or later no matter what.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
So, I have basically no experience with spellcasting classes.

Are there any sort of class-independent builds for them, in the vein of Frostcheese or Charge-Kits for melee classes?

I assume there is Dilettante bullshit for casters too, right? Like, poach an at-will that counts as RBA and such.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

P.d0t posted:

So, I have basically no experience with spellcasting classes.

Are there any sort of class-independent builds for them, in the vein of Frostcheese or Charge-Kits for melee classes?

I assume there is Dilettante bullshit for casters too, right? Like, poach an at-will that counts as RBA and such.
Spellcasting isn't as complicated as you'd think, since it's really just power selection like everyone else.

If you're a striker, think about a damage type you like, and focus on it with feats and gear. If you're a controller, think about a condition or conditions (or damage type) you like, and focus on them with feats and gear.

There's definitely more ways to do it than just that, but those are the "still learning, I want something simple" ways.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Spellcasting isn't as complicated as you'd think, since it's really just power selection like everyone else.

If you're a striker, think about a damage type you like, and focus on it with feats and gear. If you're a controller, think about a condition or conditions (or damage type) you like, and focus on them with feats and gear.

There's definitely more ways to do it than just that, but those are the "still learning, I want something simple" ways.

Are there particular damage types or conditions that are better "supported" than others?
I've heard about degenerate bullshit like Radiant Dragonbreath spamming, but I don't know much about any Radiant Mafia builds.

e: I'm actually playing a Psychic Lock bard right now and it's hilarious because our DM thinks making us fight solos is the way to challenge the party.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 12, 2014

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Cold, of course, with frostbite, is very well supported.

Thunder is best for AoE.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cold is good for controllers. Thunder is great for AoE. Lightning is also fun, and often goes hand-in-hand with thunder. Fire is great for ongoing damage. Acid is rubbish, too much resists it.

e:f;b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Cold is good for controllers.

Why is cold good for controllers? Frostcheese is good, but additional piles of damage is more of a striker thing than a controller thing.