Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Lukavi posted:

It's been a long time since my fiance and I have sat down to watch a anime/cartoon together and I've been out of the scene myself for awhile. I'd like a recommendation for something for us to watch on the couch every now and then.

It's a little light on action, but Princess Tutu would probably be a good choice.

Also Madoka Magica because I like recommending magical girl anime apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lukavi posted:

It's been a long time since my fiance and I have sat down to watch a anime/cartoon together and I've been out of the scene myself for awhile. I'd like a recommendation for something for us to watch on the couch every now and then.

+
Comedy, action, drama or mix
Complete
Definitive ending

-
Explicit sex
Long (+30eps)
Ongoing

Her:
Disney/Pixar
MLP (ugh, non-creapy way but.. ugh, I have to leave the area when on)

Me:
Basara
Gurren Lagann
Hellsing
Baccano

Us:
Cowboy bebop
Girls Bravo (retarded but we both thought it was funny)
Tiger and Bunny (Both of use loved this one 100%)

I showed her some parts of Everyday Life of High School Boys that I thought were funny as hell and she didn't care much for them. Recently she saw the description for Attack on Titan and I think she might like it but it isn't finished and it bugs me to no end. I'm thinking maybe Sword Art Online but its a bit long and she may not hang on the whole way, the 2nd season was a letdown too. Death Note was another I was thinking of but I quit ~half way through I think due to slow pace.

If you want something Pixar-esque, start going through the Studio Ghibli films directed by Miyazaki. Laputa or Spirited Away are good ones to start with. And presuming that's the original Hellsing series you've seen, go watch Hellsing Ultimate. It's a lot more faithful to the original manga, and it's set of 40/50-minute OVA's with each episode of it's respective manga volume. That said though, it is ongoing with only up to the 8th episode dubbed so far.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Comedy answer: One Piece. Do you mind watching movies? Something Ghibli would be good - maybe Kiki's Delivery Service or something. Does it HAVE to be anime? You should find and watch Ernest & Celestine and The Rabbi's Cat, I swear to god they are so loving good, the both of them. Very different, though. You should also watch Wolf Children Ame & Yuki.

If you liked Sword Art you'd probably really enjoy Log Horizon. It's great, and 24 eps.

And as much as I like Everyday Life of High School Boys (don't arrest me NSA), I thought Nichijou was ten times funnier (and 12 times weirder).

Hoozuki no Reitetsu is oddly charming and pretty drat fun/cute. It's pretty original and is about Hell. It looks really nice, too.

I'll always have a special place in my heart for Read or Die (the ova). It was such a weird but cool superhero-y secret agent type of thing. It's got loads of action, too.

You guys should totally watch Silver Spoons. It's got farm animals.

Lastly, I'd whole heartedly recommend Planetes.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 11, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Full Metal Panic Fumoffu, maybe? I just bought the DVDs off a goon but haven't watched them, but there's plenty of funny scenes on youtube. I like these two. It's also available on Youtube officially.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRxnrWxRroQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5SAt8AdKlc

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Since you liked Girls Bravo I would recommend something else that's completely garbage, like Sakura Trick.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Lukavi posted:

+
Comedy, action, drama or mix
Complete
Definitive ending

For a good dose of action/drama with a tiny slice of comedy, I'd recommend checking out Fate/Zero while it is a prequel to a work, I find that it can completely stand on its own for the ending. I would also recommend checking out Lovely Complex if you want something with a fun mix of comedy and drama. Another action/comedy/drama that really reminded me of the same sort of style Cowboy Bebop/Samurai Champloo is Mitchiko & Hatchin (which also had Watanabe involved with the music for the show, as a bonus) and I'd perhaps also suggest checking out Steins;Gate if you want some Sci-Fi in the mix. I'll close out by also recommending Eden of the East but end with the caveat that the movies are simply okay, and didn't hold up to the TV series.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

You should watch GJ-bu

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Okay, so it's time to study for finals, and I've found that reading manga whenever I take a study break instead of just browsing SA or something makes it all go by easier. So I'm looking for stuff to read. More specifically, I don't want anything especially complicated/dense or dark, since the idea is to relax a little.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

Okay, so it's time to study for finals, and I've found that reading manga whenever I take a study break instead of just browsing SA or something makes it all go by easier. So I'm looking for stuff to read. More specifically, I don't want anything especially complicated/dense or dark, since the idea is to relax a little.

Have you read Yokohama Shopping Trip?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Cake Attack posted:

You should read Yokohama Shopping Trip.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Cake Attack posted:

I think you should look at YKK, and Aria.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yo Lukavi, I second Samurai Champloo, Mitchiko & Hatchin, Steins;Gate, Planetes. Silver Spoon is loving amazing but it doesn't have an ending yet (and the anime might never get one) so keep that in mind.

Also check out Trigun, which is on Netflix.

Lukavi posted:

Girls Bravo (retarded but we both thought it was funny)
Tiger and Bunny (Both of use loved this one 100%)

This is kind of out there, but if you want something that's really stupid but also kind of amazing check out Samurai Flamenco.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Devil Tesla posted:

Silver Spoon is loving amazing but it doesn't have an ending yet (and the anime might never get one) so keep that in mind.

The seasons are pretty self contained, even though they tie together well. :mad:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

The seasons are pretty self contained, even though they tie together well. :mad:

True, it's no Princess Jellyfish (which is also amazing and even more heartbreakingly unfinished).

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I just looked up Princess Jellyfish and it seems weird. Was it actually good?

Silver Spoons talk has reminded me of the wonderful little show, Moyashimon. Hah.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

I just looked up Princess Jellyfish and it seems weird. Was it actually good?

Very very good. A lot of shows that balance comedy and drama just stop being funny once it gets to the serious stuff, but PJ is at it's most hilarious when it's also at the most heartbreaking. It's weirdness is actually really subdued (and note that the audience for the show is women, so the harem possibilities of having a guy around a bunch of women never come into play). The cross dressing character only wears dresses because he like dresses. He's kind of an rear end in a top hat but in a good way, and his assholery is unrelated to the dresses. The shutins are kind of pathetic, but they're more funny than depressing and the story is about them becoming less pathetic.

Even though they had to rush to end it in eleven episodes I like it a lot, and the manga is really cool too.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Cake Attack posted:

Brainamp posted:

gently caress this drama poo poo, am I right? Here's two series I've found that are as relaxing as they are adorable. They both also feature food oddly enough.

Sweet Magic Syndrome

Girl from the kingdom of sweets and girl who just really likes sweet stuff make lots of candy and the like together.

Nukoduke

Chill dude adopts two stray cat/human things.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Those tiny cat people are some of the most hosed up things I've seen in a while. That's fuckin' weird, man.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Drifter posted:

Those tiny cat people are some of the most hosed up things I've seen in a while. That's fuckin' weird, man.

Years of anime and manga have deadened me to deformed stuff like that I guess.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Brainamp posted:

Years of anime and manga have deadened me to deformed stuff like that I guess.

Maybe, I'm mostly good when it comes to weird character designs but this loving cat bothers me to no end, for some reason, too. Are those horn nubs? :psyduck: What the poo poo is it? A retarded cat-deer? The cat of Eric Stoltz's character in Mask?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 11, 2014

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

If the eyes were higher I'd say they were eyebrows. What the hell is with that giant fivehead?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Those nubs are its eyes, the blue rings are what passes for blush circles on its planet.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I have the strongest sensation of being lied to right now.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I always just assumed Aria was just some sort of mutant Mars cat. Only one of the cats on that show was even vaguely catlike, the rest were freakish monstrosities.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Blhue posted:

I always just assumed Aria was just some sort of mutant Mars cat. Only one of the cats on that show was even vaguely catlike, the rest were freakish monstrosities.

This is exactly what the Aria Perfect Guide Book says. This cat has its breed listed as "Mars Cat." The normal-looking one is listed as an "Earth Cat." (Using the show's wacky sci-fi terms, of course.)

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Huh. Does it explain why Ma is a muppet?

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Blhue posted:

Huh. Does it explain why Ma is a muppet?

He's Canadian?

Edit: Okay, it says he's a Mars Cat. And also a girl. Whoops. I guess they just look like that when they're young?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

John Carstairs posted:

He's Canadian?

Edit: Okay, it says he's a Mars Cat. And also a girl. Whoops. I guess they just look like that when they're young?

That cat thing is a FEMALE? But he's totally strokin' on that black lady cat in the first few episodes.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
He's talking about the muppet-like cat I mentioned that gets introduced later. The one you posted is male.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Yeah, that. Sorry for any confusion.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Don't get me wrong, it's totally cool if anime cats are gay or poo poo, I didn't mean to sound discriminatory. Hell, that's probably one of the more normal things that could exist in an anime.

Is there also a muppet in Aria? Like a robot puppet or something? That's weird. I'm three episodes in and it's a bit slow going right now. I'm hoping it picks up by the sixth, or I may just stop. I've heard it was good, though, so I'm giving it some extra time.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
You'll see once you get to the cat I mean. I think its around episode 6 or thereabouts. And Aria is basically the definition of slow and chill, so I'd say if you haven't gotten into it by then, its probably just not for you.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 12, 2014

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Drifter posted:

That's weird. I'm three episodes in and it's a bit slow going right now. I'm hoping it picks up by the sixth, or I may just stop.

It's not gonna get any quicker, Aria is really laid back. An anim to relax to.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I don't need robots to rise from the canals of neo-venice, I just am waiting to see if I like the characters. That's what I meant by 'pick up'.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

John Carstairs posted:

This is exactly what the Aria Perfect Guide Book says. This cat has its breed listed as "Mars Cat." The normal-looking one is listed as an "Earth Cat." (Using the show's wacky sci-fi terms, of course.)

I can agree with that. But then, what the gently caress's up with Amanchu's cat things?

Same author, of course, only the series takes place on Earth.

(By the way, if you like Aria I really recommend Amachu. It's exactly as chill as Aria is.)

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Mikl posted:

I can agree with that. But then, what the gently caress's up with Amanchu's cat things?

Obviously it's the same cat.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Mikl posted:

Same author, of course, only the series takes place on Earth.

(By the way, if you like Aria I really recommend Amachu. It's exactly as chill as Aria is.)

I'm more afraid of that girl than the cow-cat.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

She's just a Muppet, I think.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Mors Rattus posted:

She's just a Muppet, I think.

With a broken whistle, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'm really digging Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion. I'm surprised. It's pretty interesting and the friendship between the main dude and the other dude gives me a little Tai Guk Gi vibe (GREAT korean movie, you all should watch it).

Are there any good Magical (or Magical School) series that aren't harem-y? Like things where they delve into learning magic and exploring the processes/systems of the world? Comedy or seriousish it doesn't necessarily matter. Someone needs to make Silver Spoons, but for magic.

A few episodes of Magi: The kingdom of magic (pretty fun series) had that when Aladdin went off to Magnastadt University, and that's always interesting. And I liked the established history of the djinn kings ruling the other countries and stuff. Fullmetal Alchemist probably had some of that going on, too. I'm not looking for something like Puella Magica, even though it was a great series.

• Locked thread