Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

exant posted:

Listening to a coworker fresh out of college try to push IntelliJ on an apathetic developer community of 500+ eclipse users makes me realize how insufferable I must have been just out of college too

Tbh Eclipse is wet trash compared to IntelliJ if you're doing Java dev. or flash dev. or Scala dev. or python dev. or ruby dev.

I guess Eclipse is probably a better c++ ide until jetbrains launches their c++ product

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I tried using intellij but didn't like the ui at all.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
VS is the best c++ ide

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

intellij ui is better than eclipse but it's no vs

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Zombywuf posted:

Why? Is JSON particularly easy to parse?

hint: it's not

i spent the last couple of days writing a lovely json parser and can confirm this

also does anyone actually think this is the best way to communicate a grammar?

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

Shaggar posted:

I tried using intellij but didn't like the ui at all.

once you get settled in the code completion, refactoring and the plugin ecosystem are all basically amazing.

it's a rough cut over but it's so worth it, quadruply so if you're doing Java because that's their flagship focus and the support is spectacular and people have built integration with everything

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Share Bear posted:

mongodb is useful if you want to make a lovely project you never show more than a couple of close friends and then delete cause your dreamhost account came due and you spent your money on titanfall instead

i work at a company that uses mongodb

to store users' payment histories

it's just as awesome as it sounds :smithicide: thank god i just write front-end bullshit

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

uncurable mlady posted:

VS is the best c++ ide

vs is not as good as eclipse. it has too many fuckin windows and they all suck and are lovely sizes. like the test results window is so useless unless its fullscreen but a fullscreen test window is stupid as hell. it also has like 300 different output windows for no reason.

the worst thing is no live code edits for mvc like u can w/ live java servlets and also intellisense is garbage compared to eclipse autocomplete.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

suffix posted:

c++ is so terrible for abi compatibilty

what were c++ based systems like BeOS planning to do?
would they just eventually implode becouse they could barely change any classes or add features to the compiler?

os x padded out their vtables with extra functions to be used later

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

AlsoD posted:

what do you mean by "alternative to IO"? For concurrency? Parallelism? File access? Terminal interfacing?

Pipes is about streams i.e. whenever you'd use lazy lists that are too long, i don't know if that's what you want. tbh the best way to improve your haskell is to get good with lenses, jesus gently caress those are good

i meant like alternatives to the normal means of io that mitigate some of the oddities of io

like i just watched this video on pipes and how you can feel good using them.

and lenses is mad trill duder.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

abraham linksys posted:

you know of anything better than railroad diagrams for small chunks of grammar?

(that one is badly laid out though)

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Apr 12, 2014

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

coffeetable posted:

you know of anything better than railroad diagrams?

(that one is badly laid out though)

yes

the literal grammar

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

OBAMA BIN LIFTIN posted:

yes

the literal grammar

what, in bnf? you find bnf easier to read than railroad diagrams?

different strokes i guess

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
who wants to help my find a soltuion to this problem which by all means is not a new one

ok SO lets give an example

lets say you want to do something

opk how about i just use the real life example i am wondering

so i am going to make an ARUIDNO SKETCH in C and its going to take maeasurements from a joystick thing and use it to move some servos around with a laser
basically like a laser gun thing

anyway i cant decide whether to make the control of it absolute or relative regarding the movition and position of the joystick

the code woudldnt be significantly diferent anyway

so how can i make my code have this option.... efficiently?

i know how to do it inefficiently. inthe main look just have an if statement that is like "if relativre=no then blah blah" and an esle or whatever
but that would mean every time the main loop ran itd have to do an if statement

OR i could have two main loops but that would be a maintenance nightmare

surely there exists a common and sandarda and well accepted and machine code efficient solution to this kind of problem

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also i srated reading a book on how to think like a processor or basically like a simplified idea of how processors do things so if you were coding in asembler well youd need to know to use it iefficientl and i can say i feel like ui understand a lot more now. maybe a total genius>? idk im no good at telling things about myself. anyway i can recommend doing it. i am a terrible and unknowledgable coder but it has helped me when i draem abot coding

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

echinopsis posted:

surely there exists a common and sandarda and well accepted and machine code efficient solution to this kind of problem

in high-level oo languages you'd create an interface and two classes beneath it, one for relative positioning and one for absolute

in C you use function pointers to do the same: create one a function that takes the joystick's position information and returns an absolute position for the gun, and another one that returns the relative position. then store a pointer to the function you want to use in a variable, and have everyone else access the positioning scheme through that variable

e: or inject the pointer where it's needed, depends how happy you are to throw static state around

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Apr 12, 2014

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
dats fuckin genius and i understanding perfectly what you mean by that. i mean as in, i know what a pointer is. never used them of course but i understand. and its totally obvious how that is a great idea! ahahahah cool man

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

i spent the last couple of days writing a lovely json parser and can confirm this

well, no as i'm fairly sure these are not valid numbers: 2.1Ǝ9, 4ǝ+20

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

wait, how is 'LATIN SMALL LETTER TURNED E' the lowercase version of 'LATIN CAPITAL LETTER REVERSED E'

this poo poo don't make any sense

get out of fyad
Mar 27, 2013
trip report: Java 8's lambda and stream stuff is actually not terrible

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

echinopsis posted:

dats fuckin genius and i understanding perfectly what you mean by that. i mean as in, i know what a pointer is. never used them of course but i understand. and its totally obvious how that is a great idea! ahahahah cool man

i think the only real answer to this is smoke more weed

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

that diagram is pretty clear, if a little cramped horizontally

but railroad diagrams can be abused horribly e.g. good luck turning these into grammars:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

how are any of these diagrams clearer than the literal grammar

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

MeramJert posted:

try to be less autistic and it might make sense

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

coffeetable posted:

in high-level oo languages you'd create an interface and two classes beneath it, one for relative positioning and one for absolute

in C you use function pointers to do the same: create one a function that takes the joystick's position information and returns an absolute position for the gun, and another one that returns the relative position. then store a pointer to the function you want to use in a variable, and have everyone else access the positioning scheme through that variable

e: or inject the pointer where it's needed, depends how happy you are to throw static state around

i fuckin love function pointers :okpos:

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

MeramJert posted:

they aren't

like i said, they're bad examples of people abusing the railroad diagram concept

here's the full collection of javascript syntax railroad diagrams, most of them (other than the ones i selected above) are pretty clear and very easy to turn into a grammar/parser

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Bloody posted:

try to be less autistic and it might make sense

for something called a "railroad" diagram i don't think you'd want to be less autistic

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Bloody posted:

i fuckin love function pointers :okpos:

start making structs of function pointers and you can get in on some bespoke vtable action my dizzy

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

FamDav posted:

start making structs of function pointers and you can get in on some bespoke vtable action my dizzy

C++ The Harder Way

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
one time i actually wrote a parser generator where instead of inputting any kind of grammar you put a description of the railroad diagram itself, like which tokens were linked to which other tokens and where the start and end were

and the parser would just follow the diagram to see whether, at the end of the input string, it had reached the end or not

in php

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
if a token couldn't be consumed, it would throw a DerailException

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

qntm posted:

if a token couldn't be consumed, it would throw a DerailException

AmtrakException

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

FamDav posted:

i fucken love doing this. c is a nightmare for a real project but it's loads of fun to gently caress around with

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
why do so many of you have difficulty with state transition diagrams

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Bloody posted:

try to be less more autistic and it might make sense

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

i fucken love doing this. c is a nightmare for a real project but it's loads of fun to gently caress around with

void * is fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

abraham linksys posted:

https://github.com/johnezang/JSONKit this is a fun read me