Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

thelightguy posted:

No, only that XP mode on windows 7/whatever ever VM you choose to use doesn't meet his arbitrary standard of being able to open a 16-bit app from a random directory on the hard disk.

Apparently shortcuts are too difficult to use.

Got it. I was wondering why I was so confused.

Install Windows posted:

No, not at all? I don't see what's so hard to understand about the fact that to run them in conventional VMs, you must first actually place what you want to run inside the VM, which means you can't just extract some windows 3.1 application to a folder on your 64 bit computer and then double click it to run it.

You know, like how you could do with the NTVDM virtual machine available in 32 bit versions of Windows.

Not having to install an entire second OS and move everything you want to run into there first i.e. have it run the way 16 bit applications ran in XP/32 bit Vista/7/8.

Are all you people from some mirror world where NTVDM didn't exist?

Who is this info suppose to be for? I can't follow why anything needed to be seemless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Install Windows posted:

Not having to install an entire second OS and move everything you want to run into there first i.e. have it run the way 16 bit applications ran in XP/32 bit Vista/7/8.

Okay maybe I missed it but what and why are you running 16 bit applications in the year 2014?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Okay maybe I missed it but what and why are you running 16 bit applications in the year 2014?

I'm not, I'm saying if WINE on Windows ever got into a workable state it would allow that!

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Because the Federal Government would still use slideshow projectors for training if the slides were not literally burning out and windows 3.1 if there was still support available for it

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Install Windows posted:

I'm not, I'm saying if WINE on Windows ever got into a workable state it would allow that!

Is there even a market space for that?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Install Windows posted:

No, not at all? I don't see what's so hard to understand about the fact that to run them in conventional VMs, you must first actually place what you want to run inside the VM, which means you can't just extract some windows 3.1 application to a folder on your 64 bit computer and then double click it to run it.

You know, like how you could do with the NTVDM virtual machine available in 32 bit versions of Windows.

Are all you people from some mirror world where NTVDM didn't exist?

Are you sure the issue is 16 bit?

One of the problems I remember from trying to run 16 bit programs was actually long filenames, try installing it on c:\crap and doing the right-click compatibility settings.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Is there even a market space for that?

It's a free and open source project that basically exists to play old video games, it doesn't have a market space in the first place. :v:

deimos posted:

Are you sure the issue is 16 bit?

One of the problems I remember from trying to run 16 bit programs was actually long filenames, try installing it on c:\crap and doing the right-click compatibility settings.

64 bit Windows explicitly removed support for 16 bit Windows applications to run, if it's 16 bit it simply doesn't run.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Install Windows posted:

It's a free and open source project that basically exists to play old video games, it doesn't have a market space in the first place. :v:

UT servers run at the approximately the same speed (1-2% perf penalty) on WINE and save you the Windows Server licensing costs.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Four words: Castle of the Winds.

(Serious answer - ancient line-of-business applications.)

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Inspector_666 posted:

It should be trivial to push out approved content lists for IE. Making the OU should be pretty easy based on what other people have said, too.
OUs were how I suggested we go about it, but was told it would be too much work to create and maintin duplicate OUs for the XP machines alongside our regular OUs. So instead they're doing a global GP to check OS version and push out a dummy proxy/whitelist at logon. If policy doesn't apply right, which happens a lot in our environment, oops, full Internet access.

Sickening posted:

Your admins can't modify and deploy host files?
XP doesn't seem to parse the host file the way other OSes do, in the 15 minutes or so I spent looking into it I couldn't find a way to tell it to redirect all web traffic to localhost. Plus a smart user could always get out by IP.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Knormal posted:

OUs were how I suggested we go about it, but was told it would be too much work to create and maintin duplicate OUs for the XP machines alongside our regular OUs. So instead they're doing a global GP to check OS version and push out a dummy proxy/whitelist at logon. If policy doesn't apply right, which happens a lot in our environment, oops, full Internet access.

You don't have to reorg your ou's. You use WMI filtering on the group policy objects you make so they only apply to xp.

Your admins are not very skilled.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

CommanderApaul posted:

I got a work order today to install a Radiation Safety training program for one of our lab managers. He has to give a presentation using this training program on Monday. Remoted into the workstation, launched setup.exe from the CD as administrator, thought it was weird that it had an "Run from the CD/Run from the HDD" option for a 67MB program, but ok. Everything looks like it installed ok until Windows pops up the "this program may not have installed correctly box."

Well, we didn't get any error message, so lets see what's going on. Try to launch the application, error message to contact the manufacturer for a version compatible with 64-bit Windows. After clicking out of that, I get a half-dozen error messages about memory problems and finally a 16-bit application error message. User doesn't know who made it, just that the radiation safety office gave it to him.

So I go digging around for a readme file to see if I can get him some information. The only install instructions for the application are for Windows 3.1, and the modified dates on the files are 1996.

Guess he's not doing his presentation on Monday.

What the gently caress does 18 year old radiation safety teach? Duck and cover?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have a client that does business with a state agency. That agency requires the use of a dos based 16 bit database application that can only print directly to lpt1.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Paladine_PSoT posted:

What the gently caress does 18 year old radiation safety teach? Duck and cover?

Don't use a Therac-25? :eng99:

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

The Fool posted:

I have a client that does business with a state agency. That agency requires the use of a dos based 16 bit database application that can only print directly to lpt1.

We had a few of those at the county government, http://www.dosprn.com/index.htm came in very handy.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Nebulis01 posted:

We had a few of those at the county government, http://www.dosprn.com/index.htm came in very handy.

code:

net use lpt1: \\computer\printer

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Sickening posted:

You don't have to reorg your ou's. You use WMI filtering on the group policy objects you make so they only apply to xp.

Your admins are not very skilled.
Yeah, I don't really know anything about AD administration myself, but I know enough to know that a lot of the stuff that should be basic AD functionality seems to be a real challenge for them.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

The Fool posted:

code:
net use lpt1: \\computer\printer

Used to have to do this at my old job to get $legacyshitapp to print.

Knormal posted:

Yeah, I don't really know anything about AD administration myself, but I know enough to know that a lot of the stuff that should be basic AD functionality seems to be a real challenge for them.

Pick up a book, setup a small virtual lab and advise them how to do poo poo properly.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Knormal posted:

When you attach a Group Policy, you can specify, as part of the GP, a WMI filter that queries all members of the OU and will only apply the group policy to members who return True for the query.

The query you would need to slide under the AD team's door is:

select * from Win32_OperatingSystem where Version like "5.1%"

Windows XP and SBS2003 are built on Windows NT 5.x, with 5.11 being SP1, 5.12 XP SP2, 5.13 XP SP3 iirc. NT version 5.2 is the 64 bit Windows XP and you might not want to filter it since it's rare and usually important. If you're still using SBS2003 in your environment you would need to add a second excluding flag to your WMI query (as to return true for Client versions of Windows only): select * from Win32_OperatingSystem where Version like "5.2%" and ProductType = "1"

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 11, 2014

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
A mistake came in.

A program wasn't working right. I remade her user profile and that was that.

Unfortunately I didn't know that the TEMP profile would wipe out any data I put in it on reboot as I found out the next day :downsgun:. Why would Microsoft think deleting people's data silently would be a good idea?

And of course I used cut and paste instead of copy and paste. The data is loving gone. So many layers of carelessness on my part.

I'm lucky the user was really cool about it. Most of it was icons and templates she can get back. Still, lesson learned.

On another note, I closed 40 tickets in a 7 day period out of like 70 in a 4 man team this week. Also got a kudos note. Figure one oh poo poo ticket once in a long while balances out.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

skooma512 posted:

A mistake came in.

A program wasn't working right. I remade her user profile and that was that.

Unfortunately I didn't know that the TEMP profile would wipe out any data I put in it on reboot as I found out the next day :downsgun:. Why would Microsoft think deleting people's data silently would be a good idea?

And of course I used cut and paste instead of copy and paste. The data is loving gone. So many layers of carelessness on my part.

I'm lucky the user was really cool about it. Most of it was icons and templates she can get back. Still, lesson learned.

On another note, I closed 40 tickets in a 7 day period out of like 70 in a 4 man team this week. Also got a kudos note. Figure one oh poo poo ticket once in a long while balances out.
In Windows 7 you need to delete some registry keys in addition to renaming their folder in C:\Users, or else when they log in they'll be given a temp profile every time.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Does Windows 3.11 work in DOSBox?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

AT&T is dead. None of our stores have network access.

AT&T describes it as a "major outage". Thanks, guys

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

myron cope posted:

AT&T is dead. None of our stores have network access.

AT&T describes it as a "major outage". Thanks, guys

Where is this?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

Where is this?

We have locations from New York to Georgia over to Kentucky. Everyone was down. It seems to be working now...but it looks like it started around 2am or so

fake edit: back down. AT&T is probably close to fixing it though

edit: it's fixed

myron cope fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 12, 2014

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

spankmeister posted:

Does Windows 3.11 work in DOSBox?

Yes it does. It's how I play Dune on my phone. (also Photoshop to freak out my graphic designer brother in law)

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 12, 2014

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

myron cope posted:

We have locations from New York to Georgia over to Kentucky. Everyone was down. It seems to be working now...but it looks like it started around 2am or so

fake edit: back down. AT&T is probably close to fixing it though

edit: it's fixed

Verizon had some sort of widespread outage on the East Coast late yesterday morning as well, took down all external access from one of our office/data center locations for about an hour.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
That outage happened to coincide with a serious issue that took down our internet access (and therefore our ability to do business, since our QuickBooks file and most of our working stuff is on the company corpshare server) yesterday around 10. We're on Comcast, and they insisted it was our hardware (which wouldn't surprise me, SonicWall can go gently caress itself with a splintering rake). After our tech guys determined it was NOT our hardware, we got bounced back to Comcast, and the yutz in the call center said between 3 and 5 PM, a tech would be out.

Long story short, the call center guy was wrong, it's actually a four-hour window, tech shows up around 6:15. It's a loving static IP collision issue on Comcast's end, because some dumb gently caress assigned OUR static IP to another customer and we finally lost that battle today. What's more, it was his second IP collision that day.

Our CFO is bugging my boss about switching to BrightHouse now.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

skooma512 posted:

Windows pops up a rather clear warning message about this.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

D34THROW posted:

That outage happened to coincide with a serious issue that took down our internet access (and therefore our ability to do business, since our QuickBooks file and most of our working stuff is on the company corpshare server) yesterday around 10. We're on Comcast, and they insisted it was our hardware (which wouldn't surprise me, SonicWall can go gently caress itself with a splintering rake). After our tech guys determined it was NOT our hardware, we got bounced back to Comcast, and the yutz in the call center said between 3 and 5 PM, a tech would be out.

Long story short, the call center guy was wrong, it's actually a four-hour window, tech shows up around 6:15. It's a loving static IP collision issue on Comcast's end, because some dumb gently caress assigned OUR static IP to another customer and we finally lost that battle today. What's more, it was his second IP collision that day.

Our CFO is bugging my boss about switching to BrightHouse now.

Static IP collisions are actually pretty common and I have no loving idea why. It seems like it would be an issue that's solved by accurate book keeping by the ISP. Sadly by the time it gets to me poo poo's already broken, but I see it happen maybe once or twice a week. The ISP I work for is nowhere near the size of Comcast, though.

Speaking of Sonicwall, I had to deal with a customer a few days ago who's Sonicwall was responding to every single ARP request...on the WAN. Luckily I didn't have to call him, just brick his modem and make someone else deal with it (because ISPs are horribly inefficient companies). He was on the same router as a few tens of thousands of people so that's kind of not good.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

:tinfoil: or all the outages are the NSA implementing heartbleed 2 :tinfoil:

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

anthonypants posted:

In Windows 7 you need to delete some registry keys in addition to renaming their folder in C:\Users, or else when they log in they'll be given a temp profile every time.
Best thing to do is cut and paste the folders (including AppData but not the NTUSER.DAT or similar files so turn on hidden files but not system files) from the user's profile to somewhere else on the same drive and then delete the account from User Profiles in System Properties. It allows you to preserve their entire user folder (in case they had local .PST files etc) and cleanly gets rid of the profile (including the registry entries and c:\users\xxx folder). The next time they log in the profile will regenerate either from a roaming profile (if used) or the local default template.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 13, 2014

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

Actually got a ticket asking if the company's servers were vulnerable to the Heartbleed exploit...

Thank gently caress for the previous sys admin being completely tinfoil about open source stuff and using IIS instead.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

WhoNeedsAName posted:

Actually got a ticket asking if the company's servers were vulnerable to the Heartbleed exploit...

Thank gently caress for the previous sys admin being completely tinfoil about open source stuff and using IIS instead.

It doesn't matter. You need new certs anyway for visitors to trust your site.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

evol262 posted:

How would people know? A few of our clients are getting re-keyed certs with the same dates from their CAs.

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

evol262 posted:

That got done pretty quickly but then we only have Exchange and an FTP server exposed to the web from the main network. Our website runs off a different server thats not connected to the rest of the network because :reasons: and has no secure content what so ever.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Sonic Dude posted:

How would people know? A few of our clients are getting re-keyed certs with the same dates from their CAs.

If it were me, I'd be submitting new CSRs and asking for revocation on the old certs.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

We're still using an MS-DOS based MRP system from the early 90's that has had no support for over a decade. I have to flatten and re-install all new computers as 32-bit Win7, and we can't upgrade the terminal servers past Server 2008.

The project to replace it with a modern ERP is now pushing 2 years, and is very unlikely to be finished before the end of the year. :suicide:

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
At one of my companies clients, it was hot the last few days so they left the windows open over the course of the weekend because the building would not start the AC, similarly the main network equipment room has no cooling so that door was too left open.

So come today we get a ticket and I paraphrase

quote:

We need a field tech onsite, several birds have nested in the server room

:psyduck::parrot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

At one of my companies clients, it was hot the last few days so they left the windows open over the course of the weekend because the building would not start the AC, similarly the main network equipment room has no cooling so that door was too left open.

So come today we get a ticket and I paraphrase

:psyduck:

:parrot::parrot::parrot::parrot::parrot:

Fixed that for you

• Locked thread