Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Trickjaw posted:

We are, however, agreed she is gobby moron, though?

GC: Can we have a goon meet on your estate when its the glorious 11th or whatever it is? We don't have guns, we will just chuck whatever comes to hand.

She's goby, but I gained a lot of respect for her when I heard her presenting R4's comedy thing one week, her family background and her youth was pretty hard left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

SybilVimes posted:

She's goby, but I gained a lot of respect for her when I heard her presenting R4's comedy thing one week, her family background and her youth was pretty hard left.

She still went to a private school.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

SybilVimes posted:

Not heard that, and its not that I only know her from Loose Women either. I have no problem with someone celebrating their achievements, but she has, in the same vein as Piers Morgan become rich and famous by osmosis. I'm old enough to remember the 6 o'clock show, and even though I watched it as Ma and Pa were getting ready to go out, Danny Baker made more sense. Now there is a phrase I never would have thought I would type. You kids who did not suffer the eighties do not know how lucky you are.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Friday night = GC starts posting, everyone else watches waynes world

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

I'm going to bed and dream of some 'When the boat comes in' scenario involving posters ITT.

Thats the most favourite xmas present I ever got me Mam, the box set of that. Then I sat jaw open as the second episode they started mining coal under the living room floor

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Trickjaw posted:

I'm going to bed and dream of some 'When the boat comes in' scenario involving posters ITT.

Thats the most favourite xmas present I ever got me Mam, the box set of that. Then I sat jaw open as the second episode they started mining coal under the living room floor

I know that song, but I heard tales of having half your house drop into the ground because of mining.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Reason enough to hate Janet Street Porter.

And perhaps equally, her views on Ian Tomlinson and his death.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

General China posted:

I know that song, but I heard tales of having half your house drop into the ground because of mining.

Thats the thing (it was the wrong side of the Tyne,) but thats my maternal land, and its all frigging true. Even the sheep stealing. I may be after your pheasants. {Plod] this not the case, officer, I am going to leave the good General's livestock alone.[/Plod]

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Praseodymi posted:

Oooh I forgot she has Dacre's shilling. Well caught.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Praseodymi posted:

He was deliberately antagonising the old bill up by not moving out of the way of that copper's harmless truncheon exercises, or words to that effect, right?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

General China posted:

That's not what you asked, though.

General China posted:

I challenge anybody to find an episode of HIGNFY where it has a 20% strike rate for people who have had their parents pay for their education. I haven't watched every episode but I think it is an impossible challenge.

Pass the facking grouse.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

General China posted:

I challenge anybody to find an episode of HIGNFY where it has a 20% strike rate for people who have had their parents pay for their education. I haven't watched every episode but I think it is an impossible challenge.
Is this a trick question where anyone who went to a state school but whose parents have paid tax is covered?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Going back to the massive slice of the pie that is welfare this is what I got from Wikipedia:

Benefit Expenditure (£bn)
Housing Benefit £16.9
Disability Living Allowance £12.6
Pension Credit £8.1
Income Support £6.9
Rent rebates £5.5
Attendance Allowance £5.3
Jobseeker's Allowance £4.9
Incapacity Benefit £4.9
Council Tax Benefit £4.8
Other uncategorized expenditure £4.7
Employment and Support Allowance £3.6
Statutory Sick/Maternity pay £2.5
Social Fund. £2.4
Carer's Allowance £1.7
Financial Assistance Scheme £1.2

Let's take it line-by-line:

Housing is high because we have to pay market rates due to some idiot in the 80s wanted to make everyone a home owner.
DLA are you really going to attack the disabled? But be careful a Gordon use to move a lot of long term unemployed here to make things look better than they really where
Pension credit is just like the pension slice, lovely old people who have earned a nice little nest egg.
Income support more like corporate welfare! But seriously this is an in work benefit so I shelf for the wannabe strivers
Rent rebates - no loving idea but I'm sure landlords are the real beneficiaries here
Attendance allowance is another disability benefit so see DLA
Jobseeker's Allowance, now we get to the juicy stuff! loving scumbag, no good, pieces of poo poo who have no right to look me - a hard working member of the public - in the eye
Incapacity benefit is there to help you if you've broken your arm and poo poo like that.... If your a gullible fool! Another one that was hosed with by Gordon so is a bit undermined, also that one where 900k people choose to come off it rather that go see the lovely people at ATOS
Council tax benefit is another in work benefit I think
ESA not sure I'll let some else explain this one cos I'm a lazy striver
Statuary sick/maternity erm... No idea so let's say corporate welfare again.
Social fund, another I have no idea about but let's just say damned lefties
Carer's allowance, what more help for the loving disabled!
FAS erm no idea sorry

Of all that the two that are easiest to attack are housing and JSA, which we can see would make gently caress all difference to the overall amount of tax you pay (but a massive difference socially). Thank you for your attention.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

General China posted:

220 26-07 05/Dec/03 Dara O'Briain, John O'Farrell, George Galloway
233 28-03 29/Oct/04 Robin Cook, P.J. O'Rourke*, Phil Hammond
258 31-02 28/Apr/06 Sean Lock, Peter Capaldi, Shami Chakrabarti
296 35-06 23/May/08 Lee Mack, Shami Chakrabarti, John O'Farrell
302 36-04 07/Nov/08 Jo Brand, Toby Young, Reginald D Hunter
306 36-08 12/Dec/08 Jerry Springer, Katy Brand, Ken Livingstone
334 39-09 03/Jun/10 John Prescott, John Bishop, Penny Smith
342 40-08 02/Dec/10 Lee Mack, Ken Livingstone, Sarah Millican
352 41-08 03/Jun/11 Sharon Horgan, Joe Wilkinson*, Richard Madeley
353 41-09 10/Jun/11 Jo Brand, Reginald D Hunter, Joanna Scanlan*
385 45-02 12/Apr/13 Brian Blessed, Ken Livingstone, Bridget Christie*
396 46-04 25/Oct/13 Jo Brand, Greg Davies, John Prescott

*Insufficient information on Wiki for early education.

Some of these went to grammar schools or selective schools, which may count as a class advantage - I couldn't see any fee information though. I'm not counting university education though, most of these went onto university at a period when they probably got grants of some kind.

This is surprisingly hard. It is amusing/depressing how often the same small independent schools come up.

Edited to remove O'Rourke.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Apr 12, 2014

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

notaspy posted:

DLA are you really going to attack the disabled? But be careful a Gordon use to move a lot of long term unemployed here to make things look better than they really where

Cheers for the breakdown - pretty interesting to see that the biggest items are subsidising landlords, supporting the disabled and topping up pensions as opposed to the normal WURGH SCROUNGERS rhetoric.

Just wanted to clarify one thing, DLA is basically independent of all other benefits as it's paid whether you're working or unemployed, so moving long-term unemployed on there wouldn't do anything. You are correct that this fiddle was pulled with incapacity benefit though.

FAS helps out people whose private pension schemes went bust between 97 and 05.

ESA is incapacity benefit under another name and with worse conditions.

Social fund was emergency welfare payments for extreme hardship but that's now been devolved to local councils who (surprise!) have had budget cuts.

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Apr 12, 2014

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Kegluneq posted:

220 26-07 05/Dec/03 Dara O'Briain, John O'Farrell, George Galloway
233 28-03 29/Oct/04 Robin Cook, P.J. O'Rourke*, Phil Hammond
258 31-02 28/Apr/06 Sean Lock, Peter Capaldi, Shami Chakrabarti
296 35-06 23/May/08 Lee Mack, Shami Chakrabarti, John O'Farrell
302 36-04 07/Nov/08 Jo Brand, Toby Young, Reginald D Hunter
306 36-08 12/Dec/08 Jerry Springer, Katy Brand, Ken Livingstone
334 39-09 03/Jun/10 John Prescott, John Bishop, Penny Smith
342 40-08 02/Dec/10 Lee Mack, Ken Livingstone, Sarah Millican
352 41-08 03/Jun/11 Sharon Horgan, Joe Wilkinson*, Richard Madeley
353 41-09 10/Jun/11 Jo Brand, Reginald D Hunter, Joanna Scanlan*
385 45-02 12/Apr/13 Brian Blessed, Ken Livingstone, Bridget Christie*
396 46-04 25/Oct/13 Jo Brand, Greg Davies, John Prescott

*Insufficient information on Wiki for early education.

Some of these went to grammar schools or selective schools, which may count as a class advantage - I couldn't see any fee information though. I'm not counting university education though, most of these went onto university at a period when they probably got grants of some kind.

This is surprisingly hard. It is amusing/depressing how often the same small independent schools come up.

O'Rourke's mother paid for him to go to college, so he's out.

Once there he smoked weed, became a Maoist, and was a partial inspiration for one of the characters in Animal House - I don't remember which - before he became first a paleorepublican then a straight-up, Cato-Institute-funded, libertarian nutjob. Pity because in that middle phase he wrote some brilliantly funny stuff.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Party Boat posted:

Cheers for the breakdown - pretty interesting to see that the biggest items are subsidising landlords, supporting the disabled and topping up pensions as opposed to the normal WURGH SCROUNGERS rhetoric.

Just wanted to clarify one thing, DLA is basically independent of all other benefits as it's paid whether you're working or unemployed, so moving long-term unemployed on there wouldn't do anything. You are correct that this fiddle was pulled with incapacity benefit though.

FAS helps out people whose private pension schemes went bust between 97 and 05.

ESA is incapacity benefit under another name and with worse conditions.

Social fund was emergency welfare payments for extreme hardship but that's now been devolved to local councils who (surprise!) have had budget cuts.

Thanks for the extra info.

Just reading back what I wrote and I didn't make it clear that I was trying to put up what the usual counterarguments are so that people have the counter to the counter. Remember it's not about the person you're arguing with, its the people listening (I wish I would remember this).

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
The mail bemoans "the slow death of the home owning dream", "the rebirth of the rentier class", and the fact that "for the first time in living memory, the number of people renting from private landlords is greater than those living in housing association and council homes."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...level-1987.html

Satan is skiiing to work, cats and dogs are living together in harmony, arsenal are winning the league, etc. etc.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

LemonDrizzle posted:

The mail bemoans "the slow death of the home owning dream", "the rebirth of the rentier class", and the fact that "for the first time in living memory, the number of people renting from private landlords is greater than those living in housing association and council homes."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...level-1987.html

Satan is skiiing to work, cats and dogs are living together in harmony, arsenal are winning the league, etc. etc.

quote:

And, for the first time in living memory, the number of people renting from private landlords is greater than those living in housing association and council homes, as a desperate shortage of housing stock — triggered by mass immigration and family breakdown— has led to the rebirth of the so-called ‘rentier’ class.

The Mail at its finest, the doublethink in this article is staggering.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
And this:

quote:

It was several decades, however, before Margaret Thatcher eventually became the saviour of such families with her government’s landmark Housing Act of 1980, which helped to spread mass home-ownership to the working classes.

Within seven years, a staggering one million council houses had been sold to their tenants.

Mrs Thatcher also lifted rent controls, in order to expand the supply of private rental property. The idea was to increase council rents to comparable commercial levels — to give tenants a choice of landlords as an alternative to the council, and so reduce state dependency.

But now, 34 years on, the home-buying social revolution has gone into reverse — not least in the case of many of those former council houses.

Last year, it was revealed that one-third of the council houses bought under Mrs T’s right-to-buy legislation were no longer lived in by their original owners or their families, but were in the hands of private — absentee — landlords.

How ironic that one of this new rentier class is Charles Gow, the son of Ian Gow, Lady Thatcher’s Housing Minister at the peak of the right-to-buy years. He owns at least 40 former council flats on one South London estate.

How ironic indeed.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
I hate the word 'rentier', it sounds like someone trying to be fancy and coming up short.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
How about 'rentalist'?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
"btl scum" is a perfectly descriptive phrase, I feel.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Bozza posted:

The Mail at its finest, the doublethink in this article is staggering.

Really? "There's not enough houses because of too many people coming into the country and also nobody wants to live together any more" seems fairly internally consistent, if still aggravatingly stupid.

Unless you mean doublethink in the sense that the classes forced to rent are those the mail hates, yet the tone of the article is still one of wistful regret rather than cackling glee, in which case I totally get you.

SybilVimes posted:

I hate the word 'rentier', it sounds like someone trying to be fancy and coming up short.

One step short of "rentiest".

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009
It's a dumb article because it's a vague description of the way things are with a huge slab of false nostalgia for Thatcher and families "happily" squeezing into a room meant for one, but they don't want to do that now!, because bad living standards are not a good thing. And then it ends without a conclusion as obvious as "build more houses and introduce rent control stupid".

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Seems like a pretty standard British right wing article to me. Spend loads of time describing the problem and then just blame it on something you've been raging about for years. Rising unemployment? Its because of the welfare state and immigrants. Young people moving back in with their parents? Its because young people are just lazy and can't be bothered to pay rent. You could play bingo with this idiocy.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
At least they're acknowledging that the problem exists: that in itself is a huge step forward from the mindless rejoicing in ever-higher prices that you saw a few years back. I've seen this in both left and right wing publications: articles about the housing market increasingly accept that the current model is broken and the reader comments are overwhelmingly furious about the current state of things.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Umiapik posted:

At least they're acknowledging that the problem exists: that in itself is a huge step forward from the mindless rejoicing in ever-higher prices that you saw a few years back. I've seen this in both left and right wing publications: articles about the housing market increasingly accept that the current model is broken and the reader comments are overwhelmingly furious about the current state of things.

It's certainly more of a mixed bag than it has been during previous bouts of house price inflation - the financial pages still have regular pieces on the merits of BTL as a pension etc., and there are plenty of breathless "yay rising prices" articles, but there are also a lot that are basically saying "oh no, not again" or "who the gently caress can actually afford to buy these things?"

In the meantime, the Mortgage Market Review will help to dampen price growth by "stress-testing" borrowers and then allowing them to borrow up to 5x joint income if they pass (in extreme cases you can apparently go up to 7x income, which is loving mindblowing). Everything is under control and the plan to smother the fire with kerosene cannot possibly fail. On the other hand, it's still not nearly as mental as things were in 2006 when ~45% of all loans were issued with no verification of income. Apparently the main qualification you need to set lending rules at large banks is to have been force-fed lead paint as a child.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

General China posted:

Its a class war.

It's a class war in your Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall house.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It's negatively affecting the journalists and their kids at this point, so we're seeing that reflected in the articles.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

LemonDrizzle posted:

Apparently the main qualification you need to set lending rules at large banks is to have been force-fed lead paint as a child.

Nah it's 'make sure you've already got a buyer lined up for the mortgage agreement and its various derivatives'.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Umiapik posted:

It's negatively affecting the journalists and their kids at this point, so we're seeing that reflected in the articles.

The bastards destroying this country can't even do it competently, and I think that's the most galling thing. You keep your loving mouthpieces onside just as you keep the coppers onside, or they'll turn on you. Whilst it might not lead to armed revolution, it has a good chance of getting you replaced with a different lot of bastards next election.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Praseodymi posted:

Isn't it great when people talk about medical issues without doing any research or talking to a doctor. Just rant about it for tens of paragraphs without a single piece of original research because you know in your gut that these depressed people are just weak and just need some vim. It's moments of genius like this that need to be preserved along with "is algebra ever useful?" and "i'm a stupid loving idiot".

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

General China posted:

So did Tony Benn

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Regarde Aduck posted:

Isn't it great when people talk about medical issues without doing any research or talking to a doctor. Just rant about it for tens of paragraphs without a single piece of original research because you know in your gut that these depressed people are just weak and just need some vim. It's moments of genius like this that need to be preserved along with "is algebra ever useful?" and "i'm a stupid loving idiot".

If you can't see it, it doesn't exist. Duh.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

JFairfax posted:

So did Tony Benn

General China despises Tony Benn as a class traitor.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Umiapik posted:

Just been looking for a news article but can't find anything! Does anyone else know what I'm on about? Think it was up in Merseyside: this guy went round looking for properties that had obviously been empty for a long time, then forged invoices for building work and went to court asking for repossession orders to be made, in order to pay for his unpaid bills. (this actually worked! Well, until he got caught, anyway.)

If it's the case I'm thinking of he basically got hosed. It involved a crooked land registry staffer and when the registry is changed its statutorily the last word in the matter. Was pretty sad for the bloke as I think he won in the end but it took *years*

E: the land register can result in insanity. Last year a bloke who got given a 'lord of the manor' title as a joke present realised historically the title still existed over some land which was essentially unclaimed and used by people of local villages. About £10m worth I think. He applied to the registry they happily gave him title and he fenced it off and won the court challenge as the register is final.

Lord Twisted fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Apr 13, 2014

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012
Hmmmm...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27007764

quote:

MP Nigel Evans, who was cleared of rape and sexual assault on Thursday, has said the Crown Prosecution Service should pay his £130,000 legal bill.
Does anyone know which government, if any, removed the right to recover reasonable legal expenses from central funds?

This is a repeat of Plebgate. There's nothing wrong with corruption or unfairness until an MP is on the receiving end.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Regarde Aduck posted:

gently caress a doctor, if she'd have meet even one person who'd suffered from depression, she'd know what shite she's talking. Depression isn't feeling 'a bit sad', it's physically debilitating. The best description I've been able to come up with is that it's like the pain of having a close relative die. I felt like that for maybe three months, with no understanding of where it came from, or when and if it would stop. I feared for my life, because I didn't know how long I could cope with that feeling.

My bout of depression was pretty pathetic compared to what others suffer. Here's Rob Delaney on depression. I like this description in particular because it demonstrates the tendency to link it to external factors, and how wrong that is:

http://m.prevention.com/mind-body/emotional-health/comedian-rob-delaney-depression posted:

first I ruled out every other possibility I could. I wasn't drinking or doing drugs anymore. I was exercising. I was eating well. I was going to therapy regularly. I was continuing to work and trying to stay active socially. So I was taking care of my body and mind in every way I could think of, but my mood was incessantly black and I had constant suicidal ideation. I couldn't sleep—which anyone will tell you is horrible on its own, and can really help depression get entrenched. My sex drive evaporated. The limited food I would force myself to eat would immediately be churned up in my roiling stomach and be expelled through one end or the other, every day. My whole body hurt, but that wasn’t as bad as the unceasing thought, "Kill Yourself," that set up shop in my skull. So I knew something was very wrong.

But I guess that was all in his head, right Janet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Is there anything worse than boozed-up football fans, chanting and sectarianism? It's a shame that the only thing I dislike about Glasgow is the football. :smith:

• Locked thread