Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Ignite Memories posted:

This is going to be a million loving times worse than X3. I can already taste it

The wort part is that this will likely make money hand over fist. Meaning that this meandering behemoth of a franchise is going to go down kicking and screaming but only after a long, slow trudge to get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

TwoPair posted:

Forget that, I want to see Steve Rogers play DDR.

DDR, really? Different cultures, I guess.

These lists are essentially that page from Civil War: Frontlines. You know which.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

omg chael crash posted:

These lists are essentially that page from Civil War: Frontlines. You know which.

Thanks to his trusty notebook, when Movie Sally Floyd starts in on Movie Cap about Pokemon she gets blown the gently caress out as he sings the pokerap from memory

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

omg chael crash posted:

Which page? I never got the issue.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Error 404 posted:

Which page? I never got the issue.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Thanks, I was wondering what it looked like when neither the artist nor the writer gave a gently caress.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Oh God, the serum is wearing off! Steve's melting!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

TetsuoTW posted:

Oh God, the serum is wearing off! Steve's melting!
He looks like Robert Redford in Cap 2.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Cap just feels so sad when he realizes she's actually mentally handicapped.

Bless her heart.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
You forgot the next page which is even dumber.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

CzarChasm posted:

The wort part is that this will likely make money hand over fist. Meaning that this meandering behemoth of a franchise is going to go down kicking and screaming but only after a long, slow trudge to get there.

None of the previous X-films have grossed even $500m worldwide, so DOFP's reported $250m budget is actually a pretty big risk.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

AnonSpore posted:

Thanks to his trusty notebook, when Movie Sally Floyd starts in on Movie Cap about Pokemon she gets blown the gently caress out as he sings the pokerap from memory

Pfft, you know she'd just yell at him for picking the Fire Starter every generation.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

He's also noted as having run 17 miles in 30 minutes which is like, almost a flat three times faster than the current world record, without breaking a sweat or even breathing hard.
It was 13 miles. 13 miles in 30 minutes is nearly twice as fast as the men's world record for the half marathon which is 58:23

That's about 2 minutes 18.4 seconds a mile. The world record for a mile run is 3 minutes 43.13 seconds

E: Beaten hard, drat. :smith:

E2: ^^^ I'd be really surprised if Steve didn't know who won the last World Series. He grew up in New York in the 30s, he's probably a rabid baseball fan. Dodgers or Giants fan though, not the Yankees. So I guess he'd root for the Mets these days.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 12, 2014

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Ignite Memories posted:

This is going to be a million loving times worse than X3. I can already taste it

If DoFP is very poorly received by fans, I wonder if that will spark a bit of a reevaluation of X3. There's a decent movie in X3, but you have to sort of scrap off a lot of needless or bad material to get to it.

With so much stuff of DOFP, I'm still cautiously optimistic, though. I'm genuinely intrigued by it to want to see it, but I'm not so interested to be so eager for new information to look for behind the scenes and read spoilers.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Barry Convex posted:

None of the previous X-films have grossed even $500m worldwide, so DOFP's reported $250m budget is actually a pretty big risk.

It's not that much higher than X3's budget.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Barry Convex posted:

Wait, I thought the movie looked so cheap because of the limited budget, much like First Class. If the budget is decent, what is their excuse?

e X fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 12, 2014

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Charlz Guybon posted:

It was 13 miles. 13 miles in 30 minutes is nearly twice as fast as the men's world record for the half marathon which is 58:23

That's about 2 minutes 18.4 seconds a mile. The world record for a mile run is 3 minutes 43.13 seconds

E: Beaten hard, drat. :smith:

E2: ^^^ I'd be really surprised if Steve didn't know who won the last World Series. He grew up in New York in the 30s, he's probably a rabid baseball fan. Dodgers or Giants fan though, not the Yankees. So I guess he'd root for the Mets these days.

While I can't post the scan now, Mark Waid did a really awesome comic series called Captain America: Man Out of Time. It's a retelling of what happened to Steve in the immediate aftermath of him being defrosted in the modern day by the Avengers, and focuses on his difficulties adapting and learning about the modern world. (Both the positive and negative sides.)

And yes, there is a sequence with him chatting with some Basesball fans.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

e X posted:

Wait, I thought the movie looked so cheap because of the limited budget, much like First Class. If the budget is decent, what is there excuse?

Their excuse is that a lot of it is CGI which is unfinished which is why there's a difference in tone in the trailers they've released so far.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Waterhaul posted:

Their excuse is that a lot of it is CGI which is unfinished which is why there's a difference in tone in the trailers they've released so far.

I blame my phone.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

zoux posted:

Also, are there any mutants that have manifested their X-gene at birth? In reference to that baby Colossus pic there.

Hope.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Waterhaul posted:

Part of the problem is that Fox loves short turnaround times for their movies. I believe that's what caused Matthew Vaughn to not do X3, and them having to bring in Brett Ratner.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Part of the problem is that Fox loves short turnaround times for their movies. I believe that's what caused Matthew Vaughn to not do X3, and them having to bring in Brett Ratner.

That was mainly because they wanted to beat Superman Returns to theaters out of spite for Singer. Vaughan asked them to push back the release date to work on the script more and they refused and brought on Ratner who was able to get it out within their timeframe.

Essentially every bad creative and production decision around X-Men 3 can be attributed to spite.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Vaughn also bitched about the turnaround on First Class, especially when they started putting out trailers with unfinished effects shots.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Question IRL posted:

While I can't post the scan now, Mark Waid did a really awesome comic series called Captain America: Man Out of Time. It's a retelling of what happened to Steve in the immediate aftermath of him being defrosted in the modern day by the Avengers, and focuses on his difficulties adapting and learning about the modern world. (Both the positive and negative sides.)

And yes, there is a sequence with him chatting with some Basesball fans.

Was that the one where he meets GWB and Cap is confused on how a many like that could become President?

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

muscles like this? posted:

Vaughn also bitched about the turnaround on First Class, especially when they started putting out trailers with unfinished effects shots.

Which trailers had unfinished effects?

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Was that the one where he meets GWB and Cap is confused on how a many like that could become President?

Would it be gauche to ask if anyone has these panels? This sounds too great to be true.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

muscles like this? posted:

I believe he said that First Class actually ended up being an even more rushed production than X3 would have been had he stayed on board. I was pretty surprised when Fox announced Vaughn as director just a bit over a year before its release date, which is extremely unusual for a film of that scale.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
First Class was just so good, I think most of the excitement for DOFP is coming from that.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

First Class was just so good, I think most of the excitement for DOFP is coming from that.

First class was 50% so good. 50% boring as poo poo.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

First Class has more than enough good to outweigh the bad. Fassbender, Lawrence, McAvoy and Bacon are all great enough that I can ignore the boring Havok or Angel stuff.

Pops Mgee posted:

Which trailers had unfinished effects?

I don't know about trailer but I know the first images "leaked" were unfinished promo images that were being used for like website promos and Vaughan got really mad because they weren't representative of the film and people were writing the film off.

Actually I found the image and quote:

Vaughn posted:

“I freaked out on them yesterday. I don’t know where the hell that came from. I don’t think it’s a Fox image. It’s not a pre-approved image. When I found out, I said, what the gently caress is this poo poo, and Fox is running around trying to figure out what happened as well. I agree. It’s like a bad photoshop, which maybe it was by someone. It didn’t reflect the movie. I was shocked when I saw it. I was like ‘Jesus Christ’…

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

The part of it that was an unofficial sequel to Inglourious Basterds, with Michael Fassbender roaming the German countryside Killin' Gnatzees, was the best part of the movie.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

First Class was a mediocre script rescued by a few excellent casting choices and also January Jones who was dreadful. The villains who weren't Kevin Bacon were entirely superfluous as were most of the other good guy mutants. I really enjoyed the film but but not so much as to overcome my lack of faith in Singer and how crowded the film seems.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

First Class would've been borderline unwatchable if not for Fassbender and Macavoy, but I'm still very excited for DOFP.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

First Class has more than enough good to outweigh the bad. Fassbender, Lawrence, McAvoy and Bacon are all great enough that I can ignore the boring Havok or Angel stuff.

I don't know about trailer but I know the first images "leaked" were unfinished promo images that were being used for like website promos and Vaughan got really mad because they weren't representative of the film and people were writing the film off.

Actually I found the image and quote:

I also recall some outside shots of January Jones and someone else that did indeed look like total and utter garbage.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
At least they can recast Emma and just say "plastic surgery" because she has had some work done.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

At least they can recast Emma and just say "plastic surgery" because she has had some work done.

And having her just start talking with an English accent works just fine too.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I always figured she only looks super hot and put together cause she's ultra-psychic and makes everyone think she's not in sweat pants with a muffin top.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

SlimGoodbody posted:

I always figured she only looks super hot and put together cause she's ultra-psychic and makes everyone think she's not in sweat pants with a muffin top.

I think they did something like that in Old Man Logan where she makes herself look like she hasn't aged at all by psychically altering people's perception.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

And having her just start talking with an English accent works just fine too.

But she's American isn't he? I thought she just had a super upper class American accent that you only see in Cartoons and is dead in real life. Affected of course, as everything else about her.

It's not like hollywood lacks actresses that could play Emma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

twistedmentat posted:

But she's American isn't he?

She's from Boston, and from money. Her accent could be...interesting. Then again Charles Xavier is from New York and as American as apple pie, and they made him English, so really who cares?

• Locked thread