Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nermal
Mar 16, 2004
Hey baby, wanna kill all humans?

Electronico6 posted:

Algarve is the third least poor region of Portugal, second being Madeira, and first Lisbon. The correct answer is tourists. But the Algarve has been for quite some time the most crime filled region in Portugal(which doesn't really mean much considering everything). The major crimes in the Algarve has always been theft and kidnapping, so homicide rate being that high is kinda surprising.

Lot of 'retired' gangsters there. When it gets too hot in Ireland/UK/Netherlands etc., that's where they go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
What is going on in Lithuania?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I'm totally pro-choice and stuff, but what the gently caress is wrong with you Eastern Europe? Don't most of those countries have socialized medicine and birth control available for free?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mcustic posted:

I'm totally pro-choice and stuff, but what the gently caress is wrong with you Eastern Europe? Don't most of those countries have socialized medicine and birth control available for free?

How is that related to people getting drunk because alcohol is cheap here and then producing mass of babies that are deemed to be shameful mistakes the morning afterwards?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

mcustic posted:

I saw an Al Jazeera news clip once on the rising opinion against abortion in Russia that mentioned in the Soviet Union abortion was basically seen as birth control in its later decades vs in America where it seen as a last choice type of thing, so it may be a lasting cultural impact of that.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I think high abortions there are in regions with plenty of Russians, but this is a wild and biased guess.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

kalstrams posted:

I think high abortions there are in regions with plenty of Russians, but this is a wild and biased guess.
I was thinking that, but then again, there aren't really that many Russians in Lithuania. Looking at an ethnic map, it seems like the red region in the south east has a lot of Poles, so maybe it's Poles from Poland getting abortions and somehow being counted? The Russian heavy region doesn't really stand out. Population density doesn't seem to matter either, in case it was some rural/urban divide.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mcustic posted:

I know there's a similar phenomenon in China, but they also have laws banning children outside of marriage so I don't know if it's just a generic "(former) Communist countries are big on abortion" thing.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Odd to see that Tunisia and Israel are apparently Europe, too.

Interesting that so few abortions happen in the Netherlands, Switzerland, Bavaria and Flanders, despite being perfectly legal. Must be that most pregnancies there are, in fact, planned.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

the jizz taxi posted:

Interesting that so few abortions happen in the Netherlands, Switzerland, Bavaria and Flanders, despite being perfectly legal. Must be that most pregnancies there are, in fact, planned.

Bavaria is majority Catholic, and Flanders is plurality (47%) Catholic. The Netherlands also has ~11% of their population as foreign born so that may skew things.

Nyarlothotep
Apr 14, 2007
Don't fail to see Nyarlathotep if he comes to Providence. He is horrible — horrible beyond anything you can imagine — but wonderful. He haunts one for hours afterward. I am still shuddering at what he showed.
I'd say proper sexual education and cultural attitudes toward birth control are more likely than just "Every sperm is sacred" in this case.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Nyarlothotep posted:

I'd say proper sexual education and cultural attitudes toward birth control are more likely than just "Every sperm is sacred" in this case.

Yeah plus the Swiss are Protestant.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

the jizz taxi posted:

Yeah plus the Swiss are Protestant.

38 % are Catholics.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Google is telling me Poland's birthrate is only 1.30 per woman, vs 1.46 in the Ukraine. Interesting that despite the far lower abortion rate the Polish birth rate is still lower. Is contraception use particularly prevalent in Poland?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Blut posted:

Google is telling me Poland's birthrate is only 1.30 per woman, vs 1.46 in the Ukraine. Interesting that despite the far lower abortion rate the Polish birth rate is still lower. Is contraception use particularly prevalent in Poland?

Doesn't look like it.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Lord Tywin posted:

38 % are Catholics.

That might not mean much. Depends just how religious nominal Catholics are. Like in the US, most Catholics are pro-choice, probably by way of most of them living in pretty liberal parts of the nation. Meanwhile the pretty religious Protestants down south....

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Amused to Death posted:

That might not mean much. Depends just how religious nominal Catholics are. Like in the US, most Catholics are pro-choice, probably by way of most of them living in pretty liberal parts of the nation. Meanwhile the pretty religious Protestants down south....

In the Netherlands, and I guess large parts of Switzerland as well, Catholics are atheists that go to church twice a year.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I'm actually surprised that the abortion rate in Ireland is so high. This is the country that almost forced a teenage rape victim to give birth and, twenty years later, forced a woman to die from septicaemia because her fetus had a heartbeat...

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Blut posted:

Abortion in Poland is illegal except for the sake of the mother's health, in cases or rape, or if the fetus is seriously deformed. This map uses official data, so it only has the numbers of legal abortions. That's probably why Poland's abortion rate is so low.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

TinTower posted:

I'm actually surprised that the abortion rate in Ireland is so high. This is the country that almost forced a teenage rape victim to give birth and, twenty years later, forced a woman to die from septicaemia because her fetus had a heartbeat...

Doesn't everyone who want an abortion just take the ferry over to Britain?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Amused to Death posted:

Doesn't everyone who want an abortion just take the ferry over to Britain?

Pretty much. It's even a constitutionally protected right in the south (but not in the north).

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It probably has to do with the location of places where people can get abortions. The dark blue areas might not have the facilities.

mcustic posted:

A combination of lack of access to high quality contraceptives, macho/patriarchal culture, and free abortions.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

TinTower posted:

I'm pretty sure that map is factoring in abortions performed on Irish Citizens in the UK and abortions performed out of region for Northern Irish residents (NI only reported 51 abortions last year for example and the number of annual live births usually hovers around 25,000). The figures for the Republic could be even higher as the UK reports only factor in women who have openly declared an Irish address and many, unsurprisingly, do not.

Northern Ireland technically has more liberal abortion laws than the Republic but in practice it is still incredibly hard for any woman to have an abortion in Northern Ireland, the Department of Health has repeatedly evaded calls to publish guidelines for when an abortion would be permissible under current legislation and thus most doctors in NI refuse to refer patients. It helps that the current minister for Health is a evangelical young-earth creationist who is publicly anti-abortion (and who has also wasted huge amounts of departmental funding fighting a court ruling that would force NI to allow gay couples to adopt).

Nyarlothotep
Apr 14, 2007
Don't fail to see Nyarlathotep if he comes to Providence. He is horrible — horrible beyond anything you can imagine — but wonderful. He haunts one for hours afterward. I am still shuddering at what he showed.
Meanwhile, the Dutch are taking abortions to new and exciting places:

Women on Waves provides a sailing abortion clinic, this map shows places they were attacked or refused by the government.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nyarlothotep posted:

Meanwhile, the Dutch are taking abortions to new and exciting places:

Women on Waves provides a sailing abortion clinic, this map shows places they were attacked or refused by the government.

I can't help laughing at BOOT DES DOODS. Foreign tongues are weird and laughable :newlol:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Mu Cow posted:

It probably has to do with the location of places where people can get abortions. The dark blue areas might not have the facilities.
That does seem like the best explanation.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

computer parts posted:

Bavaria is majority Catholic, and Flanders is plurality (47%) Catholic. The Netherlands also has ~11% of their population as foreign born so that may skew things.

The dark green areas in the Netherlands are overwhelmingly Reformed and have a relatively low non-native population. Also, Flanders is mostly only nominally Catholic nowadays, in many cases not even that.

I'm sceptical about Portugal and Poland, I'm sure that Poland at least is very restrictive when it comes to abortion, so not all abortions are being registered.

Nyarlothotep posted:

That's why it surprises me that Scandinavia is on par with the UK.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I can't help laughing at BOOT DES DOODS. Foreign tongues are weird and laughable :newlol:

A somewhat archaic way of saying 'boat of death'. Aren't you Finnish? In Finnish it would probably take twenty-five syllables to pronounce and bear no resemblance to any languages spoken by civilized people.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 12, 2014

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

A somewhat archaic way of saying 'boat of death'. Aren't you Finnish? In Finnish it would probably take twenty-five syllables to pronounce and bear no resemblance to any languages spoken by civilized people.

Just out of curiosity what would be a non-archaic way of saying 'kuoleman laiva' in Dutch? (I'm assuming that's Dutch.)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
In German it would be perfectly fine to say "Boot des Todes", which would translate directly into boat of death. Although using the word Todesboot instead would be slightly more modern (it means the same). And here you can see how Dutch is right in the middle between German and English: Tod - death -> dood.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

Just out of curiosity what would be a non-archaic way of saying 'kuoleman laiva' in Dutch? (I'm assuming that's Dutch.)

Schip van de dood

e: or 'doodsschip' if it can be a compound

Nyarlothotep
Apr 14, 2007
Yeah, in Dutch 'doodsboot' would be the more modern version.

E: Beaten, so to help ease these kinds of situations in the future, have an interactive language map: http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/interactive/2014/jan/15/interactive-european-language-map

Nyarlothotep fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 12, 2014

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

'Boot van de dood'. If I understand right, 'des' shows it's the possessive case. "van de" just means "of the". Concerning grammatical cases, Dutch used to be quite similar to German, but nearly all of that crap (grammatical cases make a language unnecessarily complicated if you ask me) has been culled from the Dutch language during the last century.

You don't see any of those, well, special cases any more except in a few proper names like town names. Other than that, there's only two definite articles left (de and het, depending on word gender. And as far as I'm concerned we should kill word gender too. As a Dutchman, I feel that while English is quite bad considering spelling (each sound can be written in a dozen ways and vice versa), its grammar is quite sensible and we should take it as an example for improving Dutch. I realize that saying this in public means I will have to face the wrath of Dutch language purists.)

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Well, in that case, how would the Dutch say "a boat full of dudes"? :v:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Well, in that case, how would the Dutch say "a boat full of dudes"? :v:

http://gay-cruise.nl :tipshat:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

computer parts posted:

Doesn't look like it.

Wow, Canadians really like their sterilization!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Bareback Lumberjack.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Count Roland posted:

Wow, Canadians really like their sterilization!

drat, we really do. I must say I do see the appeal though, vasectomies sound to be damned easy nowadays.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

This is cool, even if outdated.

Why is Hitler in Belarus?