Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The best idea here is we should all be giant reactionary babies who assume that the filthy plebeians will dumb down your clever satire of a dude who says stupid things to mock people you disagree with politically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I think that Late Show almost HAS to change up in order to stay relevant. Its ratings war with Tonight Show w/ Leno was with a demographic that is getting old and dying off. These late night shows are cheap so it's not like they'll never exist, but at this point the shows have to start seeking younger audiences, because the purpose of said shows are to promote consumable media to the most lucrative demographics. And the people who have been watching Leno/Letterman for 30 years who are now wearing oxygen tanks are probably not the people you want to market to. Unless they're going to start only having guests on to promote catheters and CSI, I guess.

They're institutions but they're promotional tools first and foremost, so it's inevitable that they will try to get younger and "hipper". That won't allay anyone's fears that Colbert will have to just sit there and let guests prattle on about their projects... unfortunately that's just a part of the job. But if he's bringing his staff with him then I can only assume CBS is going to let them write Late Show the way they want to write it. Don't forget that Conan was literally hurling insults and jokes at NBC's expense on his way out from the Tonight Show and even brought out Masturbating Bear in the final weeks and they didn't make him stop.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

IRQ posted:

Read your post again with a hard T on his name. See if you feel as confident.
It's French. Bitch.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Also why are we pretending that Colbert's show isn't already a giant fluffjob for people pushing their books/band/movie?

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Also why are we pretending that Colbert's show isn't already a giant fluffjob for people pushing their books/band/movie?
Because that's only about five minutes of the show. And it's rarely actors.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CSM posted:

Because that's only about five minutes of the show. And it's rarely actors.

Right it's normally great things like Goodall promoting her new book that boils down to 'gee aren't GMOs scary, guys?' and Colbert going 'wow I guess GMOs are scary'. I'm really afraid of his hard hitting journalism being tarnished now.

Come on the guy's funny but he's not gonna lose much changing over.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Because that's only a few minutes of it usually, not 3/4 or more like it is on late night talk shows. And while he does do fluff pieces, The Report isn't part of the "I have a new movie coming out" cocksuck tour that late night talk shows are, especially The Tonight Show/Late Show.

e: I rarely watch the interview segments on TDS/Colbert; I don't even get why they do them. Colbert was never that good at it, and Jon clearly had Viacom declaw him a couple years back.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

IRQ posted:

The Report isn't part of the "I have a new movie coming out" cocksuck tour that late night talk shows are

I have no idea what world you live in at this point.

He had a loving week long thing where he had nothing but bands with new albums on, nearly every blockbuster movie coming out involves one of the stars coming to his show. He's not just a part of that world, he's a critical one because his show reaches the important demos way better than most others.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

So this thread has devolved into "who can pretend they're the internet-coolest by pretending not to care about things and looking down on those who do," awesome job everybody.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

noooo I wanted Craig Ferguson to get the Late Show. Geoff Peterson could have become mainstream.

Craig's style would never survive in the 11:30 slot and I think he knows it.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Comedy Central should put W. Kamau Bell on at 11:30. Totally Biased was really fresh and funny, and it might be good to replace Colbert with something that doesn't mimic The Daily Show's format quite as closely, get a clean break.

Totally Biased did lose a little something when it went from once a week to daily, but I agree that he deserves another chance (and deserved better than being tossed to FXX). Alternately, Deon Cole, because Deon Cole's Black Box was loving hilarious.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I wouldn't really mind something with Larry Wilmore.

As far as current TDS stable, this would be my #1 though.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 12, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I think the Report is going out at just the right time, really. It has life left in it yet, but I always knew he'd be leaving eventually. It's like Stewart said, Colbert is immensely talented and was always destined for more. As enjoyable as the Colbert Report is, would you really want to see him stuck on Comedy Central forever?

Even if The Late Show is a silly fluffball where celebrities pimp their newest movie, his opening segments are gonna rule and the dude is going to make money hand over fist, which is something I think he really deserves. If he isn't happy with it, he'll leave and do something else. I've seen Colbert in a hundred things, and he brings something powerful and transformative every time.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 12, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I have no idea what world you live in at this point.

He had a loving week long thing where he had nothing but bands with new albums on, nearly every blockbuster movie coming out involves one of the stars coming to his show. He's not just a part of that world, he's a critical one because his show reaches the important demos way better than most others.

Yeah and his show sucked balls that week.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Yeah that Colb-chella week or whatever was loving horrible. His interviews have never been that great though, so if there's 20-30 minutes of interview-free time and he throws out the boring loving monologue + comedy bits format then that'll be good enough for me.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I think that Late Show almost HAS to change up in order to stay relevant. Its ratings war with Tonight Show w/ Leno was with a demographic that is getting old and dying off. These late night shows are cheap so it's not like they'll never exist, but at this point the shows have to start seeking younger audiences, because the purpose of said shows are to promote consumable media to the most lucrative demographics. And the people who have been watching Leno/Letterman for 30 years who are now wearing oxygen tanks are probably not the people you want to market to. Unless they're going to start only having guests on to promote catheters and CSI, I guess.

They're institutions but they're promotional tools first and foremost, so it's inevitable that they will try to get younger and "hipper". That won't allay anyone's fears that Colbert will have to just sit there and let guests prattle on about their projects... unfortunately that's just a part of the job. But if he's bringing his staff with him then I can only assume CBS is going to let them write Late Show the way they want to write it. Don't forget that Conan was literally hurling insults and jokes at NBC's expense on his way out from the Tonight Show and even brought out Masturbating Bear in the final weeks and they didn't make him stop.

Emphasis on "the final weeks." Don't forget that they had so little confidence in him and his style that they just gave Leno another show in front of his, then wanted to push his show back to put Leno's show in his spot, then got rid of him altogether and just put Leno back in the hosting spot. IIRC the olds that enjoyed Leno for whatever reason and wouldn't tune in for Conan were also an influence.

Of course, CBS is a much more competently run network than NBC, so this may all be moot. I agree that they should know well what they're getting into if they want to bring in Colbert, but I have my doubts that they won't try to rein him in a bit.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 12, 2014

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Quest For Glory II posted:

I honestly kind of wish they would disappear. It's a stale, bloated format, and the primary things it used to provide to audiences - access to new music, news about upcoming entertainment products, and a chance to see what celebrities are "really like" are completely irrelevant as network television concepts now. The music segment of even the better talk shows is always ratings death, because even if the artist performing is amazing, music tastes are so splintered viewership will plummet. And I think we can all agree (some more goonishly than others) that modern audiences have no shortage of information about what movies are coming out next. Marketing oversaturation is now the bigger risk for blockbusters, although nobody in the industry is quite ready to admit it.

Seeing celebrities be candid actually still has massive appeal, but it's something talk shows are terrible at and the internet is amazing at, so why tune in? I can sit through canned banter that will circle around to plugging the guest's latest project a mandated minimum of three times, or I can read their twitter/see a goofy youtube video they participated in with their friends/stalk them on TMZ depending. And the really big network talk show "gets" are still the types of celebrities who will never, ever be candid. Tom Cruise, Madonna, Harrison Ford. Younger/newer celebrities tend to have less of an image to maintain so there's more of a chance they'll relax into a rapport with the host, but networks would be suicidal not to bump even the world's most charming 20-year-old for the increasingly dessicated husk of anyone on the Baby Boomers' A-list.

The versions of Jimmy, other Jimmy, and Conan's shows that get distilled on the internet are actually pretty great. People I know and generally have warm feelings towards goofing around. Imagine if Jimmy Fallon just did a half-hour musical sketch show with incidental celebrity participation. I'd kill to have the Jimmy Kimmel that did a week-long Leno impression back, and I'm not even a big fan of him generally. I don't think either of them really need the format, they just accept it because that's what late night is. Unfortunately Conan, like Colbert, grew up idolizing Carson and Letterman and is really, really married to the late-night format. I think if you went to Conan and just said "here's an hour, do whatever you want with it" he'd still do monologue, desk, sketch, guest, guest, song or standup, goodnight.

I don't think Colbert will suck and I don't think his Late Show will be unfunny, but I think the format is always going to be what the format is until the last of the Carson-watching generations are out of power.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I liked Colb-chella :( Sure as hell wasn't on par with his usual stuff, though

I just hope he keeps his C-shaped desk. I loving love that thing, I hope he sits behind it most of the time. Seeing him stand up and do a monologue would just look loving weird.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I liked Colb-chella :( Sure as hell wasn't on par with his usual stuff, though

I just hope he keeps his C-shaped desk. I loving love that thing, I hope he sits behind it most of the time. Seeing him stand up and do a monologue would just look loving weird.

Colb-chella I think was the first indications to the masses that Fun. was a lovely band. I noticed their popularity dropped off a lot after that.

And yea, I cannot imagine Colbert standing on an X telling jokes about Mel Gibson and Madonna. Though I don't think Colbert is going to be trying to appeal to the boomer market. CBS could have gotten some safe inoffensive comedian to host if they wanted that, but I think they are going for a younger, college age to pre 40s crowd.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

twistedmentat posted:

Colb-chella I think was the first indications to the masses that Fun. was a lovely band. I noticed their popularity dropped off a lot after that.

And yea, I cannot imagine Colbert standing on an X telling jokes about Mel Gibson and Madonna. Though I don't think Colbert is going to be trying to appeal to the boomer market. CBS could have gotten some safe inoffensive comedian to host if they wanted that, but I think they are going for a younger, college age to pre 40s crowd.

I agree, this really seems like a move to modernize network late night. Whether or not they still pressure him into a similar format remains to be seen, but I can't see why you would want Colbert so drat much unless you didn't want him to bring his eccentric sense of humor with him.

I know the writers are coming along with Colbert, but hopefully the people who handle sets and costumes do too. They're just top notch, and always give the guy something to play around in. He's really at his best when he's dancing in a ridiculous outfit, and every set I've seen on the Report has been nothing short of awesome.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
They need Buddy Cole to be Colbert's Andy Richter.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Holy poo poo at Bill O'Reilly's 'grievance industry' segment. Jesus, what a piece of poo poo. "They THINK the deck is stacked against the poor, minorities, atheists, gays..." You know why they think that? It's observable fact.

Woden
May 6, 2006
So what happens to Lettermans crew, all just get the sack?

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I don't think either of them really need the format, they just accept it because that's what late night is. Unfortunately Conan, like Colbert, grew up idolizing Carson and Letterman and is really, really married to the late-night format. I think if you went to Conan and just said "here's an hour, do whatever you want with it" he'd still do monologue, desk, sketch, guest, guest, song or standup, goodnight.
Pretty sure Kimmel was just told here's an hour and do whatever the gently caress you want at the start, and AFAIK he still just migrated to the late night format anyway. Guess it's just too ingrained.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Woden posted:

So what happens to Lettermans crew, all just get the sack?
They all have a year to put in their resumes elsewhere, and I imagine it won't be hard for them to find jobs with that particular credit to their name.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I still think Colbert's first interview will be Colbert of the Colbert Report, similar to Formidable Opponent. That could put the character to bed.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

JT Jag posted:

They all have a year to put in their resumes elsewhere, and I imagine it won't be hard for them to find jobs with that particular credit to their name.

Is Colbert taking all his people or just the writers?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

IRQ posted:

Is Colbert taking all his people or just the writers?
All of his staff that he doesn't share with the Daily Show, I presume.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I desperately want skits like this to continue existing on Colbert's new show.

http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/cabdj6/morning-news-for-millennials

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I am watching this April 10th episode and I could almost just barely feel Colbert actually getting angry when he was talking about Vietnam.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

haha, I just watched this and it made me want to actually catch the Colbert Report. So I switched it one and its the same segment I just finished watching :(

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

In non-Colbert news, the NCAA did a thing. :10bux: says Jon's bit on student-athletes going hungry made them reconsider the whole "pasta limit" thing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

In non-Colbert news, the NCAA did a thing. :10bux: says Jon's bit on student-athletes going hungry made them reconsider the whole "pasta limit" thing.

While that bit might have done something the driving force was definitely Napier simply saying he's gone hungry while playing on a championship college team. Pretty much everyone was talking about it, after all.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Huge Jon Oliver article in Hollywood Reporter.

I like the insight into the show.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I'm honestly surprised it took this long for them to regionally block their VoD.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
When a window closes, a door opens.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I really, really want to try to sell Comedy Central on replacing The Colbert Report with something done in the style of a bad morning show. Think "Fox & Friends" with Samantha Bee and Jason Jones.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Misogynist posted:

I really, really want to try to sell Comedy Central on replacing The Colbert Report with something done in the style of a bad morning show. Think "Fox & Friends" with Samantha Bee and Jason Jones.

Maybe they can do a Today Now! show if they haven't burned all their Onion-related bridges. I don't know how well that would hold up day-to-day as opposed to weekly, though.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

raditts posted:

Maybe they can do a Today Now! show if they haven't burned all their Onion-related bridges. I don't know how well that would hold up day-to-day as opposed to weekly, though.

Who burned what now? I'm not familiar with that story...

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I know Comedy Central cancelled SportsDome and didn't pick up Onion News Network. Not sure if that's supposed to be bridge-burning.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Misogynist posted:

That would be amazing, but I wonder if it would be bearable 4 days a week (and would it play weird at night?). It would be less supportive of an infusion of topical jokes than Colbert's newsmagazine format, so you'd pretty much be relying on jokes about inane drunken hosts and low-rent guests.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
They should just make it into a live version of Drunk History except they are discussing current events instead of history.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

swickles posted:

They should just make it into a live version of Drunk History except they are discussing current events instead of history.

The best suggestion so far tbh. Also a great excuse to get Norm MacDonald back.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

There's never a good reason to get Norm Macdonald, let along get him "back."

Echo Chamber posted:

I know Comedy Central cancelled SportsDome and didn't pick up Onion News Network. Not sure if that's supposed to be bridge-burning.

That's pretty much what I meant, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
SportsDome was the perfect comedy experience for me I think. There's never been a better combination of things I think are funny. Oh god, the Hockey van crash. "Inside the Bench." Late Inning Drama.

RIP SportsDome :smith:

• Locked thread