Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Hahaha, a funny detail I missed when Jotaro returns home: not only did he take off his shoes, he took off Kakyoin's shoes as well :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Zorak posted:

Hahaha, a funny detail I missed when Jotaro returns home: not only did he take off his shoes, he took off Kakyoin's shoes as well :v:

That was the best loving joke in the episode. He's such a polite young boy. :3:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kild posted:

Even in the Blurays?

With what I watched off Netflix, at least. I'm not really huge into anime, so I didn't even realize it might have just been a production thing, and it really put me off the show. I kept watching, and then every episode promising something cool rarely every actually delivering on it and spending entire episodes on a single thing like someone deciding whether or not they're gonna do a thing was really frustrating and I hated it and I watched the whole thing and I'm excited for season 2 and I don't know why. :negative:

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNLBfwVOdDE

Pomp fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 12, 2014

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Zorak posted:

Haha I noticed he took his off but not Kakyoin's. This anime

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Zorak posted:

Let it never be said Jotaro doesn't have any manners.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Let it never be said Jotaro doesn't have any manners.

He was legit trying to be polite to Kakyoin after he was given that handkerchief, it just did not come off that way due to his stoicism.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Pomp posted:

With what I watched off Netflix, at least.

Pretty sure Netflix is using the TV sources, as by the time it was up there it wasn't even fully released on Blu-Ray, and I think Funimation just provided them their streaming stuff.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Zorak posted:

Jotaro, you loving dweeb.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The part where Jotaro's stand grabbed Heirophant Green by the neck and shook him made me burst out laughing. Reminded me of this. Probably unintentional but it kinda ruined the mood.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Zorak posted:

I might be a punk, but even I know better than to wear shoes in the house!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The second episode rocked as well. The visuals continue to be absolutely amazing.

Also I'm pretty hyped for the ED now. It's hopefully gonna something big given how long they've kept it under wraps.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Sekkira posted:

Well, to be fair, it's probably safe to assume all the characters are dead by now, if we're going by current manga parts and the previous two parts are anything to go by. I mean afaik, none of them have immortal stand powers.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Getting probated for speculating. Maybe you need to be less of a whiny baby.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I saw the first two parts on blu ray so seeing the censorship in the last episode had me sighing but it still wasn't that bad and only one scene. It was totally an advert to buy the blu ray for me though. Also, the OP is amazing visually but I think it will take me a few more times to get into the song.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I hope David Production doesn't led up because they are doing a great job at animating this season. I think its the first time in all three parts where certain scenes are needlessly, extravagantly animated and I love it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Hard to believe Jotaro's only seventeen.

Sick OP though.

All the JoJos have been pretty young so far. Until old Joseph.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Has Araki ever said why he draws of his names from western music?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Is there a link to them?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Goddamn, the animation of that fight was incredible. I don't remember Hierophant Green having tentacles, but it's been a long time since I read part 3.

The censorship continues to be unfortunate, but it's not as ridiculous as Stroheim changing a lightbulb off-screen last season. On the other hand, Araki has a certain propensity for drawing highly detailed eye trauma so I don't really need to see any more ever again, I've gotten enough just reading the manga over the years.

I swear, every single part someone gets something stabbed into an eye or their eyes getting graphically slashed or something. Usually multiple things!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fat_Cow posted:

Has Araki ever said why he draws of his names from western music?

He likes western music a lot, says he has several records and CDs in his house.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Shugojin posted:

All the JoJos have been pretty young so far. Until old Joseph.

Joseph acted like a dork so it was eaiser to thought he was just swole as gently caress, never put much thought about Jonathan but I always assumed he was twenty something at the end of Phantom Blood. Jotaro's aloof attitude and seriousness along his physique make him look like 28 or something.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Sekkira posted:

Getting probated for speculating. Maybe you need to be less of a whiny baby.

Yes, speculating after looking stuff up on Wikipedia and after it's been posted no less than half a dozen times in this thread to not talk about future parts of the manga. The six hour probation (six hours!) was the hint to stop going down that path!

Seriously y'all, don't do it.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 12, 2014

Ketchupface
Aug 1, 2010
I really like the new OP. Here's one reason why.

Some other stuff, too, like the first OP being projected on top of Jonathan in the very beginning:

Ketchupface fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 12, 2014

couwy
Nov 9, 2009

~just feels good~

Xelkelvos posted:

Is there a link to them?

I got some here.

And I agree with Ketchupface, the callbacks to the first two OPs are a nice treat.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Zorak posted:

Yes, speculating after looking stuff up on Wikipedia and after it's been posted no less than half a dozen times in this thread to not talk about future parts of the manga. The six hour probation (six hours!) was the hint to stop going down that path!

Seriously y'all, don't do it.

I looked up Star Platinum in response to the tarot card discussion, noticed the trivia based on what we already know in the series and deducted that looking up the other cards would reveal spoilers.

Based solely on how the series has gone so far, George dies early on in p1, Jonathan dies at the end of p1, p2 is set 50 years later and then p3 is set 50 years after the end of p2, the next part is probably set another 50 years later. Unless Joeseph can bullshit his way out of dying of old age, he's probably dead by the next series. But then again, this is Araki and JJBA and Joeseph, so that might well be the case. I don't loving know.

The point is that speculating a character will probably not be alive for the next part is hardly spoilers for what actually happens in said story arc.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Sekkira posted:

I looked up Star Platinum in response to the tarot card discussion, noticed the trivia based on what we already know in the series and deducted that looking up the other cards would reveal spoilers.

Based solely on how the series has gone so far, George dies early on in p1, Jonathan dies at the end of p1, p2 is set 50 years later and then p3 is set 50 years after the end of p2, the next part is probably set another 50 years later. Unless Joeseph can bullshit his way out of dying of old age, he's probably dead by the next series. But then again, this is Araki and JJBA and Joeseph, so that might well be the case. I don't loving know.

The point is that speculating a character will probably not be alive for the next part is hardly spoilers for what actually happens in said story arc.

Yes, and the point is talking about future parts gets people talking about future parts. Don't do it.

I am sorry that this six hour probation has disturbed you so!!

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
For anyone worried about how this series treats female characters, yes, that is longstanding problem with the series - fortunately Araki addresses that in later story arcs.

They seem keen on trying to faithfully adapt the series, for better or worse. At least it looks like they're trying to play the outdated sexism for laughs in how they pace it, almost like, 'yeah we know this is some vintage manga sexism' or something.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I wouldn't really say so, the way they treated the nurse seemed way worse here than it was originally.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The nurse was made sexier in the anime, that was not a manga thing.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Was she really made sexier? I don't think it's much of a stretch that her shirt came unbuttoned in the middle of a tussle, considering how badly hierophant green controlled her body. Quite frankly, I dunno how anything with her in that scene could be played as fanservice, she looks deranged and kind of gross for most of the scene, and when hierophant green is pulled out of her, she's lying in a pool of her own blood. Not exactly what I call sexy.

Last episode definitely had some issues with sexism though, like when Jotaro remarked how she was way stronger than a woman should be or when he lumped all women automatically into the group of weak people that need protection. However, if we removed all sexist media from our lives, we'd watch nothing. I think Stardust Crusaders is worth a watch despite the sexism in it.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 12, 2014

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Condiv posted:

Was she really made sexier? I don't think it's much of a stretch that her shirt came unbuttoned in the middle of a tussle, considering how badly hierophant green controlled her body. Quite frankly, I dunno how anything with her in that scene could be played as fanservice, she looks deranged and kind of gross for most of the scene, and when hierophant green is pulled out of her, she's lying in a pool of her own blood. Not exactly what I call sexy.

Counterpoint - this is anime we're talking about.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The nurse titties did seem a bit excessive, especially for Jojo, but after watching stuff like KLK it's pretty easy to look past it.

The only thing that'd I'd say is sexist about Jojo is the general lack of female characters, but Araki certainly makes up for that later. Plus, Lisa Lisa is probably the most badass character in parts 1 and 2, which is a lot compared to other manga from the same period.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Condiv posted:

Well this is what was in the manga http://www.mangahere.com/manga/jojo_s_bizarre_adventure_part_3_stardust_crusaders/c002/3.html
We didn't see multiple shots of her on the ground as her shirt kept falling off more and more, it's really nothing but creepy fanservice.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
There was an entire scene about Joseph peeping on a woman showering and showed her naked rear end.

Some tits that happen to fly out for 10 seconds at most is something to complain about, why?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
No one seemed to complain until Spacedad brought it up, though.

It would be nice to just sit back and enjoy a show leaving all the moral discussion out of it for once.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Broseph Brostar posted:

The nurse titties did seem a bit excessive, especially for Jojo, but after watching stuff like KLK it's pretty easy to look past it.

The only thing that'd I'd say is sexist about Jojo is the general lack of female characters, but Araki certainly makes up for that later. Plus, Lisa Lisa is probably the most badass character in parts 1 and 2, which is a lot compared to other manga from the same period.

Lisa Lisa, noted badass who has one actual fight, is fooled by the enemy, then strung up and turned into a leg guitar as he cackles evilly showing how villainous he is. This is not even recognizing her role is largely advisory prior to that.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Momomo posted:

Well this is what was in the manga http://www.mangahere.com/manga/jojo_s_bizarre_adventure_part_3_stardust_crusaders/c002/3.html
We didn't see multiple shots of her on the ground as her shirt kept falling off more and more, it's really nothing but creepy fanservice.

On the plus side, Jotaro and his stand no longer grinning like idiots in a manner that breaks their character personality consistency is an improvement. :allears:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

It would be nice to just sit back and enjoy a show leaving all the moral discussion out of it for once.

He said what a lot of us were thinking.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Lisa Lisa, noted badass who has one actual fight, is fooled by the enemy, then strung up and turned into a leg guitar as he cackles evilly showing how villainous he is. This is not even recognizing her role is largely advisory prior to that.

Yeah, Lisa Lisa is a terrible example of a strong female character because of this. As strong as she's supposed to be, we never actually see it and she gets chumped unceremoniously by cars and loses consciousness for the rest of a world changing fight. Jonathan had similarly terrible injuries, and yet still fought on enough to drag dio to the bottom of the sea with him.

Momomo posted:

Her shirt doesn't move a bit once she hits the ground, I'm not really sure what you're complaining about here. I think it's just having the scene animated making it more obvious what was happening with her clothes in the manga.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 12, 2014

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Spacedad posted:

On the plus side, Jotaro and his stand no longer grinning like idiots in a manner that breaks their character personality consistency is an improvement. :allears:

I kind of miss the line "Let me show you just how evil you are!" from the Viz translation. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The thing about Jojo is that we know what we're getting with it. We're getting plot-holes. We're getting points where the 'rules' break down and fail to make sense. We're getting cheesy writing. We're getting anatomy-breaking poses and continuity errors. We're also getting very dated sexism. It's important to acknowledge it, but it's not going to make the series any less worth watching - I'm of the opinion that the sexism is part of the unintentional comedy anyway. The characters seem completely braindead about how bad they treat women to the point of laughable absurdity. Really easy fodder for spoof.

• Locked thread