Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fatherdog posted:

When I say International you say

FIGHT WEEK
FIGHT WEEK

I'm in the IFL I'm in the I...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

-Atom- posted:

Well, at least it isn't loving Carano.

Also I like how Yuriy copied it one second faster and still came up short.

Carano fighting would be pretty cool if for no other reason than for the attention it would net for women's MMA. Put on that fight, wait five years, and a thousand female twenty-something contenders will emerge.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Of the three or four options available, Alexis Davis is the one I care least about. Meh.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
At least that card is pretty god drat stacked now.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Meat Recital posted:

Of the three or four options available, Alexis Davis is the one I care least about. Meh.

She's the one who's most deserving though.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Yeah only Zingano is a more deserving contender and who the gently caress knows where she is even at mentally.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Lloyd Boner posted:

At least that card is pretty god drat stacked now.

Yeah. Rousey, Weidman, Machida, Hendo, Cormier, Sonnen, Wanderlei, and even a popular bum with Uriah Hall. And that's only half the card so far.

I very much doubt that card stays intact, but if it does that's a 1 million PPV buyrate card.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bubba Smith posted:

Yeah. Rousey, Weidman, Machida, Hendo, Cormier, Sonnen, Wanderlei, and even a popular bum with Uriah Hall. And that's only half the card so far.

I very much doubt that card stays intact, but if it does that's a 1 million PPV buyrate card.

After Weidman/Silva II did over a million, I'm somewhat interested to see what Weidman's next card does.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I'm no math expert but probably a billion.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I also forgot that Penn/Edgar III happens less than 24 hours after that, too. That's gonna be a great god drat weekend for MMA if nobody gets hurt. A lot of legends with Hendo/Machida/Penn/Wanderlei going for one last chance at glory. poo poo ownnnnnns.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Bubba Smith posted:

I also forgot that Penn/Edgar III happens less than 24 hours after that, too. That's gonna be a great god drat weekend for MMA if nobody gets hurt. A lot of legends with Hendo/Machida/Penn/Wanderlei going for one last chance at glory. poo poo ownnnnnns.

Every one of those guys in gonna lose.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Here's a funny fight to wash out the taste of the feel-bad card of the year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRNoFM3HnAw

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Because I bought fightpass to see bad fighters who I don't like beat great fighters who I love, I watched Mike Pierce v Johny Hendricks. Its fun to look back on the best welterweight in the world when he was on his way up. The fight was actually really good and competitive. Rogan's rap was that they were mirror images of each other. Knowing what we know now, I don't think he can be knocked out. Hendricks hit him with clean shots from both hands. Neither guy had any success with takedowns, but I guess Hendricks was pushing harder in the first two rounds. In the third Hendricks got tired and Pierce put him on his back, where hendricks tried to hold his head with both hands, and also did some hip escapes that didn't work while Pierce landed elbows to his face. But he got up after a little bit when he landed an upkick while spazzing out. After that Hendricks actually attacked again and did some good stuff but ended the fight failing at a takedown. And um in other news people here might be interested in, Chael was Pierce's cornerman.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Coincidentally this is what Diaz said when asked how much he should be paid.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Bundt Cake posted:

Because I bought fightpass to see bad fighters who I don't like beat great fighters who I love, I watched Mike Pierce v Johny Hendricks. Its fun to look back on the best welterweight in the world when he was on his way up. The fight was actually really good and competitive. Rogan's rap was that they were mirror images of each other. Knowing what we know now, I don't think he can be knocked out. Hendricks hit him with clean shots from both hands. Neither guy had any success with takedowns, but I guess Hendricks was pushing harder in the first two rounds. In the third Hendricks got tired and Pierce put him on his back, where hendricks tried to hold his head with both hands, and also did some hip escapes that didn't work while Pierce landed elbows to his face. But he got up after a little bit when he landed an upkick while spazzing out. After that Hendricks actually attacked again and did some good stuff but ended the fight failing at a takedown. And um in other news people here might be interested in, Chael was Pierce's cornerman.

Chael needs to teach Mike Pierce how to spit out promos so that he can get fights instead of being buried on prelims forever.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1st AD posted:

Chael needs to teach Mike Pierce how to spit out promos so that he can get fights instead of being buried on prelims forever.

He's tried his best, I remember him doing some call outs last year :( He just doesn't have the knack.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

1st AD posted:

He actually had a real high profile fight with Maia scheduled but had to pull out for breaking his hand.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

1st AD posted:

On the topic of buried fighters, I watched Rick Story against Jhny Hendricks again and Rogan said Hendricks had asked to be on a main card fight, and I dunno what main card that fight was on but it must have been a dog. During the fight the building is totally empty and you can heard a couple guys cracking jokes. The only two I heard clearly were "Sweep the leg, Jony" and "Dana White for President."

The actual fight was 3 close rounds, and neither guy was pacing themselves yet. First round was signature Rick Story, with him throwing a bunch of combinations with a lot of body punches. But Hendricks covered up well and landed good stuff too. Then in the second round they wrestle a little more, I already kinda forgot what happened sorry, then in the third round they wrestle a lot more. Neither guy could really take the other one down. They both gassed and the fight ended with hendricks stalling with a single attempt against the cage. Then he lost, which I forgot, and enjoyed.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Kind of makes me wonder how Kelvin would do against Johny, because Kelvin is like a younger Rick Story except he doesn't fight like a retard as much.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bundt Cake posted:

Hendricks had a lot of really close fights coming up, as I believe you noted when he was bitching about the GSP decision. I think he turned a corner sometime shortly before the Condit fight; as I said at the time he seemed to have improved technically by a pretty big leap in that match.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Mike Pierce never quite looks like a world beater, but he has this way of turning everything into a dogfight that makes even really good fighters struggle against him. Except for Palhares, who's some sort of weird wild card psychopath.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

fatherdog posted:

Hendricks had a lot of really close fights coming up, as I believe you noted when he was bitching about the GSP decision. I think he turned a corner sometime shortly before the Condit fight; as I said at the time he seemed to have improved technically by a pretty big leap in that match.

I happened to have watched Condit v Hendricks just now, and its interesting. I only ever noticed it before now in the Woodley fight, but somehow even if a guy can land clean punches on condit, and can take him down reliably, Condit can still cut the cage off and land big combinations on the guy. Also Hendricks didnt pace himself at all, and got real tired in the third. In the third round theres a perfect shot with the camera right down the pipe on a right hand Condit hits where you can see Hendricks eyes roll back in his head.

From the fights I've watched so far, I haven't seen much on the ground from Hendricks. Condit's guard was too good for him to do anything. When Pierce had him on his back, he couldn't do much do defend himself until the upkick bought him some space, but Pierce had a lot more energy than he did at that point.

I don't know what I was expecting, but I'm a little surprised I havent seen any good ground and pound from him

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I think the guys he's been fighting have generally been good enough that he can't maintain top position on them, or he's fighting guys like Amir Sadollah who he probably could get/maintain top position on but knocks them out standing instead.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

1st AD posted:

I think the guys he's been fighting have generally been good enough that he can't maintain top position on him, or he's fighting guys like Amir Sadollah who he probably could get/maintain top position on but knocks them out standing instead.

Definitely. Story, Pierce, Koscheck, Condit,, etc Doesnt come much tougher

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I think Hendricks has had by far the toughest schedule out of any of the current UFC champs. That's not to say that guys like Barao and Mighty Mouse haven't fought good fighters, but Hendricks has been fighting guys that have won rounds from him and made him look mortal, whereas some of the other guys kind of look untouchable for the most part.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bundt Cake posted:

I happened to have watched Condit v Hendricks just now, and its interesting. I only ever noticed it before now in the Woodley fight, but somehow even if a guy can land clean punches on condit, and can take him down reliably, Condit can still cut the cage off and land big combinations on the guy. Also Hendricks didnt pace himself at all, and got real tired in the third. In the third round theres a perfect shot with the camera right down the pipe on a right hand Condit hits where you can see Hendricks eyes roll back in his head.

I'm not sure how much of that is Hendricks not pacing himself and how much is Condit just setting a pace he can't keep up with. Condit has ruined a lot of guys in later rounds and I don't think that's by accident.

quote:

From the fights I've watched so far, I haven't seen much on the ground from Hendricks. Condit's guard was too good for him to do anything. When Pierce had him on his back, he couldn't do much do defend himself until the upkick bought him some space, but Pierce had a lot more energy than he did at that point.

I don't know what I was expecting, but I'm a little surprised I havent seen any good ground and pound from him

An interesting difference between Hendricks and GSP is that they're both about equally good at taking guys down/preventing themselves from being taken down, but when GSP takes a guy down they're pretty much down for the duration but Hendricks seems to have a really hard time keeping guys on the ground after he gets them there.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

1st AD posted:

I think Hendricks has had by far the toughest schedule out of any of the current UFC champs. That's not to say that guys like Barao and Mighty Mouse haven't fought good fighters, but Hendricks has been fighting guys that have won rounds from him and made him look mortal, whereas some of the other guys kind of look untouchable for the most part.

I think Aldo. He had to fight every great LW who could cut down for another title shot plus the cream of the crop of a whole new group of fighters. The only dubious shot was for Manvel.

fatherdog posted:

I'm not sure how much of that is Hendricks not pacing himself and how much is Condit just setting a pace he can't keep up with. Condit has ruined a lot of guys in later rounds and I don't think that's by accident.

An interesting difference between Hendricks and GSP is that they're both about equally good at taking guys down/preventing themselves from being taken down, but when GSP takes a guy down they're pretty much down for the duration but Hendricks seems to have a really hard time keeping guys on the ground after he gets them there.

Hendricks went all-out pretty much right away. He landed a huge left real early. And yeah I agree with that difference. Watching these fights today made me think about how impressive GSPs career really was, considering he doesn't have huge power or a great chin. Even after he got taken down a notch by injury, he was a step ahead of Condit and Diaz in every area of the fight, except for Condit's showtime level amazing kick. Then the guy it finally takes to push him is a freak who is as good at wrestling as he is and has an amazing chin and power.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

fatherdog posted:

That's the core of why I'm convinced GSP is definitively the better wrestler. He needs it though, not exhibiting power on the feet since uh...2006.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

1st AD posted:

Yeah only Zingano is a more deserving contender and who the gently caress knows where she is even at mentally.

Has she even started training again yet? While I'm sure her mental state is also an issue, I don't think she's physically ready to fight either.

TheRationalRedditor posted:

That's the core of why I'm convinced GSP is definitively the better wrestler. He needs it though, not exhibiting power on the feet since uh...2006.

I think that would fall under GSP's superior BJJ than a comparison of their wrestling, but that might be mere semantics.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Let's all watch Alistair Overeem demonstrate exemplary defence against front kicks, courtesy of the UFC's YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRNoFM3HnAw

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I like nelson but it was just painful watching nog get battered last night.

On a better note I love fight pass. I'm just a UK pleb and I'm used to being treated like poo poo for trying to watch MMA. ESPN would always for some reason cut my recording short of the main event.

£7 a month and access too the entire library seems insane to me. Maybe I'm just so starved of content this seems like a really good deal?

I've been watching so much early ufc this month, it's been great. I'm happy to pay for a good service.

Do you guys over the pond see it like that? You must have a really good cable/satellite service anyway showing it? I keep thinking I'm missing some hidden catch because the deal seems so good?

Jippa fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 12, 2014

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
I just finished Hendricks v TJ Grant. Great fight. The first round was amazing. They were already pretty good at striking. Goldberg said Hendricks told him that he'd been focusing only on striking for a year. Grant landed two low blows to Jonny, one in the first round, where the ref left Hendricks near his corner where he got advice from Marc laimon. The first round was at an insane pace, and both guys were only in decent shape, not incredible like they are now.

The second round wasn't as fast but it was still brutal. Between the second and third Laimon told hendricks he was down 0-2 in the corner and had to get a knock down to win it, then he came out and got kicked in the nuts and got a point that way. Hes very aware of how to work the refs in a fight. Against Brennamen, who was out wrestling him by a bit, Hendricks got stuck against the fence while Brennamen inched towards having him down, and as soon as the crowd boo'd hendricks started playing to the ref to try and get it stood up (and it was stood up).

Grant hurt him badly a couple times in the fight, but he wasn't even in as good a shape as Jny, who was gassed out in the third. Hendricks got him down quite a few times, but Grant stood up or was let up without taking any damage. he even "threatened" with an inverted triangle choke and a straight armbar thing. In the third when hendricks had him down and didnt even throw anything for awhile, Laimon was yelling Lesnar Mir Smash him! But he couldn't land anything, then Laimon yelled "Fedor!!" and Hendricks postured way up and tried to throw a big clubbing right hand to TJ's head but wiffed. As soon as he did it TJ Grant stood up immediately, owning Fedor.

But yeah hendricks didn't land a single good gnp shot, or even really look like he knew how to set one up. Against Grant and Condit there were times just gave up and let them up. Against GSP he got in GSP's guard after gsp slipped on the beer logo, did nothing for awhile, and let him up.

It makes sense Hendricks striking is really blossoming now since he's been training on it hard for five years, and he has natural gifts for it. Also, compared to the Grant/Brennamen fights, he's a lot thicker now, and his cardio is way better. But man he's been through a lot of BRUTAL and grueling fights. Grant, Story, Pierce, Condit and Lawler really hit him a lot. GSP and Koscheck both hit him pretty good too, but nothing like those five fights.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Every single one of his ufc fights was good. drat

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Looking back, I feel like an idiot for thinking that he was a hillbilly that was gonna wash out after what I thought was a gift stoppage against Amir.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bundt Cake posted:

I just finished Hendricks v TJ Grant. Great fight. The first round was amazing. They were already pretty good at striking. Goldberg said Hendricks told him that he'd been focusing only on striking for a year. Grant landed two low blows to Jonny, one in the first round, where the ref left Hendricks near his corner where he got advice from Marc laimon. The first round was at an insane pace, and both guys were only in decent shape, not incredible like they are now.

The second round wasn't as fast but it was still brutal. Between the second and third Laimon told hendricks he was down 0-2 in the corner and had to get a knock down to win it, then he came out and got kicked in the nuts and got a point that way. Hes very aware of how to work the refs in a fight. Against Brennamen, who was out wrestling him by a bit, Hendricks got stuck against the fence while Brennamen inched towards having him down, and as soon as the crowd boo'd hendricks started playing to the ref to try and get it stood up (and it was stood up).

Grant hurt him badly a couple times in the fight, but he wasn't even in as good a shape as Jny, who was gassed out in the third. Hendricks got him down quite a few times, but Grant stood up or was let up without taking any damage. he even "threatened" with an inverted triangle choke and a straight armbar thing. In the third when hendricks had him down and didnt even throw anything for awhile, Laimon was yelling Lesnar Mir Smash him! But he couldn't land anything, then Laimon yelled "Fedor!!" and Hendricks postured way up and tried to throw a big clubbing right hand to TJ's head but wiffed. As soon as he did it TJ Grant stood up immediately, owning Fedor.

But yeah hendricks didn't land a single good gnp shot, or even really look like he knew how to set one up. Against Grant and Condit there were times just gave up and let them up. Against GSP he got in GSP's guard after gsp slipped on the beer logo, did nothing for awhile, and let him up.

It makes sense Hendricks striking is really blossoming now since he's been training on it hard for five years, and he has natural gifts for it. Also, compared to the Grant/Brennamen fights, he's a lot thicker now, and his cardio is way better. But man he's been through a lot of BRUTAL and grueling fights. Grant, Story, Pierce, Condit and Lawler really hit him a lot. GSP and Koscheck both hit him pretty good too, but nothing like those five fights.

Looking back at both these and the GSP fight, it seems to me that Hendricks started as a guy that was really good at wrestling and blessed with punching power, and that now he's a guy who's really good at wrestling, pretty good at striking, blessed with punching power and mediocre at bjj/ground game. His striking has obviously improved, his striking defense against Condit was impressive, his wrestling is still great, but he still doesn't get much done on people once he gets them on the ground.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Jippa posted:

Do you guys over the pond see it like that? You must have a really good cable/satellite service anyway showing it? I keep thinking I'm missing some hidden catch because the deal seems so good?

Ive only had it for two days. I bought it to watch big nog. And I spent this morning and part of this afternoon using it. I don't think im going to be able to handle it

fd posted:

Looking back at both these and the GSP fight, it seems to me that Hendricks started as a guy that was really good at wrestling and blessed with punching power, and that now he's a guy who's really good at wrestling, pretty good at striking, blessed with punching power and mediocre at bjj/ground game. His striking has obviously improved, his striking defense against Condit was impressive, his wrestling is still great, but he still doesn't get much done on people once he gets them on the ground.

I think thats a fair way to sum it up.

Bundt Cake fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 12, 2014

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Bundt Cake posted:

Ive only had it for two days. I bought it to watch big nog. And I spent this morning and part of this afternoon using it. I don't think im going to be able to handle it

Scroll through their categories they are really good.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Jippa posted:

I like nelson but it was just painful watching nog get battered last night.

On a better note I love fight pass. I'm just a UK pleb that it used to being treated like poo poo for trying to watch MMA. ESPN would always for some reason cut my recording short of the main event.

£7 a month and access too the entire library seems insane to me. maybe I'm just so starved of content this seems like a really good deal?

I've been watching so much early ufc this month, it's been great. I'm happy to pay for a good service.

£7? pretty sure I'm paying £5.99... Yes, that's what it says online. Are you being ripped off somehow?

Anyway, from my point of view it's a poor deal & doesn't even give us UK folk the same amount of live content that US subscribers get (due to the BT Sports deal blackouts). In comparison, for £8 a month you can get a BT internet connection with free live access to all the PPVs on BT Sports.*

Re Fightpass: We don't get most US fight night cards for free, TUF nations is delayed for a month from the US version of fightpass, so there's no legal way to watch it all before the finale on Wednesday - ridiculous.

I'm only interested in new live content 99% of the time, most of which is on at 3-5am our time, so I usually catch up the next morning to avoid getting spoiled. Again, you can't do this by any legal means in the UK; cards aren't released to fight pass for at least a week, you can't pay for them online (live or tape-delay), and BT Sport don't have an online catch up service. You have to have a separate sky or cable subscription and a DVR.

It's possible to find almost any fight in MMA history online with about 5 minutes of googling. The fight pass archive is very badly organised and unsearchable last I checked, so not much better than what I could get for free. I tried it for a bit - couldn't find the first few things I looked for, and there's no search.

My biggest problem with fight pass right now: the UFC android app is so badly coded it makes my phone reboot randomly a couple of times an hour if I try to watch anything.

* BT are a terrible ISP, I'd pay triple to avoid them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Jippa posted:

Scroll through their categories they are really good.

I think its cool but I cant control myself

• Locked thread