Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I saw a Swerve today at target.

It's happening, it's happening!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Shadow Blade Sideswipe arrived...

He sucks. Alt-mode looks nice, at least!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

The Taint Reaper posted:

I saw a Swerve today at target.

It's happening, it's happening!

WHERE

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

quote:

Bay put Optimus Prime’s mindset more succinctly, explaining, “He’s done good for earth, and he’s been hosed over.” As a result, Bay promised, we’ll see “angry Optimus Prime.”

Is he just going to be stomping on maternity wards in this one or what?

Keldroc fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 12, 2014

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Keldroc posted:

Is he just going to stomping on maternity wards in this one or what?
I imagine he will not only be taking faces but also wearing them.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

TheDK posted:

I imagine he will not only be taking faces but also wearing them.

All of the faces.

All of them.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Optimus Prime wearing a cape made of faces.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Also apparently Lockdown is just running some errand on earth for a ~mysterious alien~ and isn't too interested in taking sides on whatever this movie's conflict will be?

TheDK posted:

Shadow Blade Sideswipe arrived...

He sucks. Alt-mode looks nice, at least!

Aw man, sorry :( just never trust my tastes from now on.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Blackheart posted:

Also apparently Lockdown is just running some errand on earth for a ~mysterious alien~ and isn't too interested in taking sides on whatever this movie's conflict will be?

At least that sounds like Lockdown, more or less.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Bergan Town Center

I left him on the pegs for I do not need another Swerve unless that other Swerve is named Gears or Brawn or Outback/Fallback.

I'm all caught up on Generations it seems. Platinum is not having anymore Generations releases unless you count movie generations which is what it seems Platinum is going to service for the majority from now on according to the future releases.

I'm really kinda disappointed that movie Grimlock looks like crap while the other Dinobots do not look like crap. But I'm hesitant to pick them up because you just know we're going to see repaints and retools down the line that will probably be Generations g1-ified.

We'll probably get a Trypticon out of at least one of the Dinobot figures before Titan class trypticon is made and pisses all over all previous incarnations because it's just that better.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

We'll probably get a Trypticon out of at least one of the Dinobot figures before Titan class trypticon is made and pisses all over all previous incarnations because it's just that better.

No matter how terrible TF4 is, if the dino obsession it will no doubt foster in Hasbro's next few years leads to a Titan Class Trypticon, Michael Bay goes back on the Christmas card list.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Keldroc posted:

No matter how terrible TF4 is, if the dino obsession it will no doubt foster in Hasbro's next few years leads to a Titan Class Trypticon, Michael Bay goes back on the Christmas card list.

It probably will influence Generations. I mean look what the other three movies did, granted most of it was Bumblebee, Bumblebee, Goldfire, more Bumblebees, and here's some more guys based off of Bumblebee. But everything for AOE is promoting the Dinobots as the main guys.

ROTF brought back Bludgeon and gave him his modern look that Prime used for it's version. As well as having HFTD toys be re-used in Generations. It also re-introduced Soundwave as a decepticon guy. The Original movie made it possible to have Jazz be called some version of jazz. DOTM redefined the Legends class as an actual size class instead of an afterthought.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 12, 2014

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Blackheart posted:

Aw man, sorry :( just never trust my tastes from now on.
It is growing on me, but has some serious flaws, most of which are due to the human alliance gimmick. The colors and the alt-mode are great, which is why I wanted to pick him up so I can't blame you for anything. The arms, legs and feet are pretty much useless and the backpack-shell may be worse than weaponizer Prime.

:qq:

It was cheap, the head looks cool and it came with a deformed human mini that I can use in a board game somewhere, so its not all bad!

The Taint Reaper posted:

But I'm hesitant to pick them up because you just know we're going to see repaints and retools down the line that will probably be Generations g1-ified.
I'd have to get them:

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Do we know anything about Stinger? Because he's kind of giving me a Wasp from TF Animated kind of vibe.

And the only Dinobot repaint I'd want is a G2 repaint. Gimme that and Hound retooled into Onslaught and I'll be happy.

Edit: I still don't understand where they got that second head for Swoop...

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Keldroc posted:

Terry's stuff on the TF movies

Her work is pretty tongue in cheek, but I think just straight up calling it satire really undersells a lot of the work that went into it. Remember that just because something is unintentional doesn't make it an accident, no one just sits down and writes a script by accident, or puts cameras on a set, or builds a set or designs characters or hires actors or draws storyboards. Little things, little ideas inform each and everything we do on levels that are both small and grand. Bay is actually a fantastic DOP, maybe one of the best in the industry. He just often gets left in far too much poo poo that he's actually terrible at because of his cred.

All criticism is interpretive and creative, especially academic criticism that draws on theoretical analysis models like film theory. Terry put together a fantastic anaysis, and she's not JOKING, her statements aren't WRONG. They're a WAY of looking at the films, a lens that makes them interesting to watch by putting those threads in there that tie the films into the society that made them. No one sat down and said 'I'M GOING TO WRITE A COUNTERCULTURAL ANALYSIS OF OUR SOCIETY THROUGH THE USE OF GIANT ROBOTS!' but, however, people who embody the values OF that society sat down to make a movie that they would personally find appealing. In this sense, their intent is secondary to the culture that informed the creation of the film.

Film Theory is not meant to give you TRUTH, empirically, but rather a REFLEXIVE Truth that attempts to find praxis between the theories of the writer and the actions of the film.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

TheDK posted:

I'd have to get them:

But instead we get an overly chromed noodle-limbed robot who turns into a worm with legs and a T-Rex head.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

My god those pictures make the mold look infinitely worse. I hate this line.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Keldroc posted:

But instead we get an overly chromed noodle-limbed robot who turns into a worm with legs and a T-Rex head.

That's the Leader mold. The one in the G1 mockup is the Voyager mold.

And to be honest, they both look pretty good.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

That's the Leader mold. The one in the G1 mockup is the Voyager mold.

And to be honest, they both look pretty good.

Nope, the one in the G1 mockup is a recolored shot of the Leader mold pic from Toy Fair. The chrome shots are new official images released today.

And both the Leader and Voyager are awful in T-Rex mode. The Voyager has a more passable robot mode, though, which is good because I will likely end up with one due to wanting Platinum Evasion Prime.

Keldroc fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 12, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Keldroc posted:

Nope, the one in the G1 mockup is a recolored shot of the Leader mold pic from Toy Fair. The chrome shots are new official images released today.

And both the Leader and Voyager are awful in T-Rex mode. The Voyager has a more passable robot mode, though, which is good because I will likely end up with one due to wanting Platinum Evasion Prime.

Look at their toes, they're completely different. They're different molds. The one on the left is definitely the Voyager, it's got more arm kibble, too.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Look at their toes, they're completely different. They're different molds. The one on the left is definitely the Voyager, it's got more arm kibble, too.

The feet have been noted as a change in the new pics.

This is the Voyager:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Well that's certainly interesting. I maintain that both look basically cool, though.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Since most of the changes between the old and new pics are changes to spiky bits aside from the chroming, I'm guessing the mold went through a child safety overhaul.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I thought the chromed up Grimlock and Prime were the Premium versions due out later. Are they the general release ones that are already hitting the shelves? I'm so uninterested in most of this line I haven't been paying attention.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Speaking of Grimlock, what's a reasonable price to pay for the G1 KO (Dinobot Bomander)? I saw one at a comic convention today but the guy wanted $100 for it, which seemed a little steep. I've seen the whole set for $200 shipped on eBay and for around $50 shipped for just Grimlock from China.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I refuse to believe that leader T-rex mode isn't mistransformed. I mean why the heck is the upper body that long?

Doesn't matter too much anyway, I'm not getting any leader class for this movie so far. Voyager grimmy looks good enough and it's the deluxes I'm excited for.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Knormal posted:

I thought the chromed up Grimlock and Prime were the Premium versions due out later. Are they the general release ones that are already hitting the shelves? I'm so uninterested in most of this line I haven't been paying attention.

The Grimlock/Prime chromed two-pack are Voyagers. Hasbro released new pics of Leader Grimlock today featuring chrome all over him, so apparently the regular Leader figure will have chrome on him and the regular Voyager will not.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm sort of two minds on its aesthetics. I don't really like it, but I can see how it could look cool to others. At least I can pick out its face, which is better than most movie designs.

The weapons are stupid as hell though.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Based on what reps have said recently, I'm going to have to assume that the design team cut corners too well, since after the fact chrome is their current go to thing to add on to figures that came in below budget, "because collectors love it." (Seriously, except for something like the occasional grill or bumper, I've never heard a collector ever say they liked vac metal chrome. Someone correct me?)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Keldroc posted:

Is he just going to be stomping on maternity wards in this one or what?
I just have to say that is one of the most terrifying images I've ever seen

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

SpikeMcclane posted:

(Seriously, except for something like the occasional grill or bumper, I've never heard a collector ever say they liked vac metal chrome. Someone correct me?)

Someone has said everything.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

SpikeMcclane posted:

(Seriously, except for something like the occasional grill or bumper, I've never heard a collector ever say they liked vac metal chrome. Someone correct me?)
Isn't shiny metal paint the go to reason for why people love TT releases and are willing to shell out x3-x4 as much on them?

Or maybe they're conflating that.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

But silver paint is OK in my book (if properly applied). Chrome is different and almost always looks worse than just metallic-colored paint. It also flakes away like a motherfucker under certain environments.

But yeah I've seen lots of people claim they love chrome over TFW.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Blackheart posted:

I refuse to believe that leader T-rex mode isn't mistransformed. I mean why the heck is the upper body that long?

It's apparently part Dachshund.

Blackheart posted:

But silver paint is OK in my book (if properly applied). Chrome is different and almost always looks worse than just metallic-colored paint. It also flakes away like a motherfucker under certain environments.

I'm with you on this, it's complete poo poo, just give me silver paint instead. It's probably cheaper anyway.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Blackheart posted:

Sadly seems to be transformed properly, judging by this in-hand review that just went up.

Also he's pretty small for a movie Leader.

"Me Grimlock disturbingly petite."

And his shoulders are click-jointed, so these are the two positions you get to choose from when posing his shoulders.

Yeah, sadly easy pass on this one, I think. Not as bad as Leader Optimus, of course, but still well within "maybe if I see him for $19 on clearance like Leader Ironhide and Sentinel Prime" territory.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Chrome can be neat on say, bumpers and hubcaps and things there it makes sense, but on a lot of Henkei figures it just looks weird and bad and the chrome is way out of place. On the Leader Grimlock and Optimus, the chrome looks awful and makes them look like dollar store knockoffs. Chrome looks nice on say, G1 toys, but on modern figures it more often than not looks pretty bad.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So it turns out I have a defective Double Dealer. The shoulders lock into place in robot mode and stay there even when you move the arms and the joints are tight and don't flop around.

I don't know why or how, but the Blitzwing issues just are not present on this mold. They look the same but the shoulder connectors look like they have a different amount of plastic in the cavity thereby giving it a snug fit that doesn't cause stuff to pop out.

It's a nice repaint with a head retool, the only thing I can really fault it with is that the plane mode is a weak rear end replacement for the Bird Mode of the original. Colors are spot on and they did a real nice job evoking the original decals in the paint scheme.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Keldroc posted:

Sadly seems to be transformed properly, judging by this in-hand review that just went up.

Also he's pretty small for a movie Leader.

"Me Grimlock disturbingly petite."

And his shoulders are click-jointed, so these are the two positions you get to choose from when posing his shoulders.

Yeah, sadly easy pass on this one, I think. Not as bad as Leader Optimus, of course, but still well within "maybe if I see him for $19 on clearance like Leader Ironhide and Sentinel Prime" territory.

Urgh... I just didn't want to believe, but it's as bad as it appeared initially. I'll just stick with the voyager thanks. It's just... bad all around, in both modes. And this is coming from someone who has generally liked a lot of what we've seen of this toyline so far, this Grimlock is just lovely.

From that Takara listing discovered now there's still a few figures we haven't seen (obviously Lockdown, but also that unseen decepticon, Stinger) and apparently at least one more dinobot we don't know about?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I've always held the opinion leaders are the most binary of toys. Either they're giant and incredible, or they're an immense amount of suck with what feels like very little in-between.

I am really hoping to get the two pack Voyager at a reasonable price though, so the leader being bad doesn't bother me overly much. Those tiny little arms though, geez. Like, maybe authentic, but metal skin, etc.

On that note does anyone know where one can watch the 'me grimlock want be ice cream fire truck' video? It was in my youtube faves and it appears long gone, drat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Blackheart posted:

From that Takara listing discovered now there's still a few figures we haven't seen (obviously Lockdown, but also that unseen decepticon, Stinger) and apparently at least one more dinobot we don't know about?

I think we've seen all of the Dinobots at this point. Grimlock, Strafe, Scorn, Slug and Slash.