Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I brought my copy of Bawdy Songs Goes To College to an Oscar Brand concert once to get autographed but I was in a hurry and couldn't find the sleeve, so I just took the record. And I only had a bic pen, but the label is black anyways so sharpie probably wouldn't have looked good. Dude gave me a funny look. I think he sorta moved on past dirty ditties in the early 60s and was playing real folk music, but I only knew his dirty stuff. But now I have a copy of bawdy songs goes to college autographed by Oscar brand in bic pen on the label, exactly like someone would have signed their own name on their record, so nobody looking at it would ever be able to tell. Stupid

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

stay depressed posted:

i hope you didn't take that record to the show

Nah, just the outer sleeve with some cardboard in it to keep it from getting smashed.

Edit: Bringing it ended up being pointless anyways, they didn't come out from backstage after the show.

Edit2: Went to put the records back into the outer sleeve and just noticed all the inner sleeves on both Tycho records I own have loving seam splits :suicide:

Fake James fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 11, 2014

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Dr. Lenin posted:

Nah, just the outer sleeve with some cardboard in it to keep it from getting smashed.

Edit: Bringing it ended up being pointless anyways, they didn't come out from backstage after the show.

If the mountain won't come to Muhammad, dude

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

Dissapointed Owl posted:

If the mountain won't come to Muhammad, dude

Ha, I tried seeing if anyone could at least come out for even a minute to sign it, even asked one of the staff standing around on stage if they could bring it to the band, but eventually security started moving everyone out the doors so I had to give up.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I took my vinyl copy of Deadwing to a Steven Wilson show to have it signed. live dangerously

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Dr. Lenin posted:

no i meant that as i hope you didnt do what you asked about but you did do it so that solves that

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
Ah, gotcha. Ha, definitely learned that it was dumb and not worth the hassle of carrying it around at a crowded show. Learning through absolute retardation.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

People who carry records around at shows are hilarious.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
All you have to do is snag a shirt from one of the bands, then slip the jacket inside for easy, padded carrying.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I bought I bought some 7" records at a concert once and ending up having to hold onto them the whole show. It was awful.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My older bother advised me that the first thing you do when you arrive at a venue is pick up a chick to hold all your shopping. Easy peasy.

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

The best kind of sex is VHS.

CPL593H posted:

I bought I bought some 7" records at a concert once and ending up having to hold onto them the whole show. It was awful.

Either hold onto them the whole show, or not have them at all because they'll have sold out by the end.
That's why places that don't allow re-entry are awful.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

My older bother advised me that the first thing you do when you arrive at a venue is pick up a chick to hold all your shopping. Easy peasy.

That sounds like a good way to have some girl run off with all your poo poo.

3dou posted:

Either hold onto them the whole show, or not have them at all because they'll have sold out by the end.

Oh I know, this is why I was in this position.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
You people will bitch about anything, goddamn.

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

people will bitch about anything, goddamn.

ftfy

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

3dou posted:

Or ask the person at the merch table if they can just hold onto them until after the show.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Or bring a record bag if you think you might be buying something. They're pretty handy if you do much irl vinyl shopping.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Snowy posted:

Or bring a record bag if you think you might be buying something. They're pretty handy if you do much irl vinyl shopping.

I didn't even know this was a thing. Where do they sell these?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Snowy posted:

Do they make those that say "give me a wedgie" instead of TEC?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Maybe it's just because i mostly go to punk/HC shows but seeing some nerd desperately clinging an LP to his chest while he tries to navigate a sweaty punk show is some top shelf schadenfreude.

If there's reentry and you or your friend has a car, stash it there. If not, just wait til the show's over.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Snowy posted:

It's all about the Kingston edition

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

If there's reentry and you or your friend has a car, stash it there. If not, just wait til the show's over.

Non-rear end in a top hat bands don't even start selling merchandise until the gig is over (partly because where the gently caress are you going to set up your wares in a small club filled to the brim with drunk people milling about). I mean that's the minority but still.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

CPL593H posted:

I didn't even know this was a thing. Where do they sell these?

At DJ supply shops/websites usually, and some record stores. That's just one that came up in a GIS, but I recommend getting the slimmest one you can find so it's not more of a pain than it's worth. A lot of them are made for 40+ records which is excessive unless you're a total addict or playing out.

I got one as a gift years back and it was very handy to have around when I needed it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Snowy posted:

At DJ supply shops/websites usually, and some record stores. That's just one that came up in a GIS, but I recommend getting the slimmest one you can find so it's not more of a pain than it's worth. A lot of them are made for 40+ records which is excessive unless you're a total addict or playing out.

I got one as a gift years back and it was very handy to have around when I needed it.

I basically wanted this because sometimes I go on day trips solely for the purpose of buying records and a bag like that would be ideal.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
I've had the MUCH older version of this for about 10 years now.

http://www.addict.co.uk/item/Brand_ADDICTRECORDPAKMKV_441_0_784_1.html

Mine looks more like this. It's honestly the most reliable bag I've ever owned. It's been a record bag, my travel pack for god knows how many miles and now my gym bag. If they stil make them to the same standard you should think twice about it.

midge fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 13, 2014

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

CPL593H posted:

I basically wanted this because sometimes I go on day trips solely for the purpose of buying records and a bag like that would be ideal.

You're going to love it. If there's somewhere you can check them out before buying, do it. It's good to get an idea of how bulky and/or protective they are.

I had two, one slimline that was great for just records, and one more like midge's that I used all around. For just record buying I preferred the slimmer one, they felt safer that way. I also ended up making an extra protective inner sleeve that extended past the dimensions of a 12" just to be careful about the corners.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Picked up that Postal Service record today, was about $50 but it looks very pretty even before I've had chance to open the shrink wrap.

I see it's listed twice on Discogs, mistake or are there multiple colour ways for the pressing and ones just a bit more specific than the other?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
If you were the first X number of orders direct from subpop, they usually do a thing for LP releases where it's a limited edition colored vinyl. My wife is a huge fan so we have the colored release, if anyone cares what it looks like.

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

The best kind of sex is VHS.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You people will bitch about anything, goddamn.

When I have to pay $37 for a 2xLP for an album still being pressed, I think I'm allowed to complain.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Dogen posted:

If you were the first X number of orders direct from subpop, they usually do a thing for LP releases where it's a limited edition colored vinyl. My wife is a huge fan so we have the colored release, if anyone cares what it looks like.

"Loser Edition", yeah.

I don't know what BROMANCE means by 'that' PS record, but I'm assuming you mean 'the' record, not an EP or something. The first entry is for the White/Clear/Red Loser Edition, the second is for the regular.

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

Me in Reverse posted:

"Loser Edition", yeah.

I don't know what BROMANCE means by 'that' PS record, but I'm assuming you mean 'the' record, not an EP or something. The first entry is for the White/Clear/Red Loser Edition, the second is for the regular.

You forgot to put quotes around your second use of the phrase "loser edition".

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
After a few weeks of buying new records at Rough Trade NYC, today I found the awesome Human Head Records and stocked up on my first second-hand records.

While I picked up near-mint versions of Talking Heads' True Stories and Gnarls Barkley's Smiley Faces, the covers of the other three records I got were blemished in various ways:

- Ring wear on the back cover of Bowie's Diamond Dogs
- Scuffs on the back cover of Talking Heads' More Stories About Buildings and Food
- A pretty big worn-off mark on the front cover of REM's Reckoning

I got the first two for $16, and the latter for $8. All the records sound good (save for some nasty pops and a skip on the Talking Heads album, in the middle of "Warning Sign," arguably the best song :argh:), but I'm curious what y'all consider to be your "limit" for physical damage: do you avoid buying records with really blemished covers? Do you ever ask to give records a quick spin before buying them? Human Head has $6 and $4 bins I found a couple of tempting records in, but they were pretty gnarled and I was worried they might sound bad, too :ohdear:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

After a few weeks of buying new records at Rough Trade NYC, today I found the awesome Human Head Records and stocked up on my first second-hand records.

While I picked up near-mint versions of Talking Heads' True Stories and Gnarls Barkley's Smiley Faces, the covers of the other three records I got were blemished in various ways:

- Ring wear on the back cover of Bowie's Diamond Dogs
- Scuffs on the back cover of Talking Heads' More Stories About Buildings and Food
- A pretty big worn-off mark on the front cover of REM's Reckoning

I got the first two for $16, and the latter for $8. All the records sound good (save for some nasty pops and a skip on the Talking Heads album, in the middle of "Warning Sign," arguably the best song :argh:), but I'm curious what y'all consider to be your "limit" for physical damage: do you avoid buying records with really blemished covers? Do you ever ask to give records a quick spin before buying them? Human Head has $6 and $4 bins I found a couple of tempting records in, but they were pretty gnarled and I was worried they might sound bad, too :ohdear:

The condition of the album cover is secondary as far as I'm concerned. I prefer covers in decent shape, but at the end of the day I'm not listening to the cardboard. Minor poo poo like ringwear and barely visible seam splits isn't even on my radar.

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

Do you avoid buying records with really blemished covers? Do you ever ask to give records a quick spin before buying them?

The only cover damage that I will always avoid is water damage and mold, because I don't want that anywhere near my other records. Ring wear and seam splits don't particularly bother me too much, a missing inner sleeve is OK if the disk looks good and the price is right. I always pull the disk out to check for warping and significant scratches (and on one occasion, I found a copy of Physical Graffiti that had a staple driven through the sleeve and into the disk).

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Glad to hear you liked it, I could almost hit that place with a bottle rocket from here but still haven't checked it out yet. Thanks for the reminder.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I'll buy some real trash if it's a dollar. I bought a Nancy Sinatra - Boots a few weeks back for $0.50. Seams split all the way open and the record looked like it was covered in dirt, but it plays perfectly after cleaning it. Would I have paid $8 for it? Not a chance.

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

Yeah, as long as it plays good who cares what the cover is like. All record covers will look like poo poo at some point

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dogen posted:

Ah cheers, was hoping they'd all have a colour way of sorts but that makes sense. I haven't heard anything that isn't on the original album so looking forward to hearing the 2nd/3rd discs.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I just bought a copy of The Doors (self titled) original 1967 mono release in G+ condition. Ebay. I paid $15.50. Did I get a good deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

caiman posted:

I just bought a copy of The Doors (self titled) original 1967 mono release in G+ condition. Ebay. I paid $15.50. Did I get a good deal?

Probably not