Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

quote:

“Nature takes its vengeance on subsequent children,” Marshall said in 2010. “It’s a special punishment, Christians would suggest.”

Christians, well known for their bloodthirst and demands of vengeance.

edit: if a man strikes you on the cheek, smile and force him to father a special-needs child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I think we just need two words for Christians. Not "xxx Christian" and "yyy Christian", but two completely different words.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think we just need two words for Christians. Not "xxx Christian" and "yyy Christian", but two completely different words.

I find that if I use 'fundies', nobody mistakes who I'm talking about.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

isildur posted:

I find that if I use 'fundies', nobody mistakes who I'm talking about.
No no, THEY have to be convinced to use the word.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Yeah, okay, I guess LF talk wasn't that bad after all. Goddamn

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Samurai Sanders posted:

I generally differentiate between the two by noticing which people are Christians and which people openly, primarily identify as "a Christian".

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Some nerds did a study about what actually drives public policy. Spoilers: it's rich dudes

LARRY BARTELS posted:

Everyone thinks they know that money is important in American politics. But how important? The Supreme Court’s Gilded Age reasoning in McCutcheon v. FEC has inspired a flurry of commentary regarding the potential corrosive influence of campaign contributions; but that commentary largely ignores the broader question of how economic power shapes American politics and policy. For decades, most political scientists have sidestepped that question, because it has not seemed amenable to rigorous (meaning quantitative) scientific investigation. Qualitative studies of the political role of economic elites have mostly been relegated to the margins of the field. But now, political scientists are belatedly turning more systematic attention to the political impact of wealth, and their findings should reshape how we think about American democracy.

A forthcoming article in Perspectives on Politics by (my former colleague) Martin Gilens and (my sometime collaborator) Benjamin Page marks a notable step in that process. Drawing on the same extensive evidence employed by Gilens in his landmark book “Affluence and Influence,” Gilens and Page analyze 1,779 policy outcomes over a period of more than 20 years. They conclude that “economic elites and organized groups representing business interests have substantial independent impacts on U.S. government policy, while mass-based interest groups and average citizens have little or no independent influence.”

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GlyphGryph posted:

I hope they follow it up by arresting the bastard next time he's around town.

Nah, just hold off until after November. Choose your battles and all that, a big confrontation probably would have served to energize right wing voters.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

For being a poo poo posting castoff taken over by semi ironic Maoist third worldists there was a lot if quality educational posting in LF. There were threads covering water shortages and how policy influenced it, the under reported 2008 famine in SEA, modern farming and next generation farming techniques and how they intersected with existing interests and policy, and the "most evil company" thread was incredibly eye opening.

The best thread though was the leftist readings of movies, where they explained how Die Hard was actually a communist movie.

LF was a thing of beauty. By the time it got shuffled over to forums cancer it was being overrun with poo poo replacing funny and informative. But for a while there it was amazing

The Marxist readings of movies was some of the smartest, funniest poo poo I had seen in a long time. It was like finding the onion in the mid-90s. The worst part of how they killed LF was their deleting all the gold mined threads. Please tell me they exist somewhere as an archive?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Hahah I love the bit about the political scientists JUST NOW looking into the effects of money in politics. That doesn't at all seem like an incredibly pertinent and important piece of the puzzle that should be a constant source of investigation. No sir. Still at least there finally is some research being done which verifies everyone's worst fears.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

VitalSigns posted:

That's what did it for me. Watching the ultra-rich beg for billions in bailouts, pay themselves huge bonuses for tanking the economy, then turn around and excoriate those who lost their jobs and homes, calling them moochers without any irony finally made me question my Objectivist beliefs about who the makers and the takers really are.

And all the while nobody did anything but cry a little when the rich did this, ensuring it'll happen again.

Joementum posted:

The Feds are rather obviously just waiting for the Ron Paul / Alex Jones / Joe Walsh crowd to vacate and they'll continue to prosecute the rancher. It's good that they seem to have learned from the 90s that forcing a show of authority isn't always the best solution to these issues.

I don't know where you get this optimism from. The feds just saying to hell with it and going home instead of arresting the guy or seizing his poo poo like they should seems entirely plausible. Hopefully they're just waiting for things to die down and plan to grab his rear end off the street in a few days, in between the guy's likely appearances on Fox News as the Patriot Defying Obama's America or something.

That inflated swimming pool, holy gently caress on a stick. :stare:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

What was the deal with the rancher thing? I somehow missed it. A guy was illegally raising cattle on federal land and a bunch of militia people tried to start their own Waco?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Hahah I love the bit about the political scientists JUST NOW looking into the effects of money in politics. That doesn't at all seem like an incredibly pertinent and important piece of the puzzle that should be a constant source of investigation. No sir. Still at least there finally is some research being done which verifies everyone's worst fears.

Maybe they didn't do it because people would make fun of them for stating the obvious. Like you just did.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I wonder what would happen if that rancher got the MOVE treatment. The most concrete thing I can think of is "Rand Paul's mailing list would get a fundraising email."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Luigi Thirty posted:

What was the deal with the rancher thing? I somehow missed it. A guy was illegally raising cattle on federal land and a bunch of militia people tried to start their own Waco?

More or less. The guy claims he has a right to the land because his family settled it before the BLM existed. The government started seizing his cattle and then a whole bunch of heavily armed right-wingers showed up to protest, so they backed down rather than risk things getting out of hand.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Koalas March posted:

I don't think you 'get' LF.

LF was awesome. My favorite post was about the Congo. Dude posted lots of pictures and history and it was an honestly good thread. LF effortposts in general were always more informative/accurate than anything else. It started the politoons thread. My favorite comedy thread was "If Africa had a currency, it would be the Afro" :allears:

I think a non-FYAD LF would be great for the mid-term elections and literally drum up business for the site.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Look, lowtax is a job creator.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Probably part because there was no funding to look at it, part because it was assumed that such a small faction would end up being an outlier and not tell you anything about the whole, and part because ideological faction lines meant questioning it was career damaging. Like how until Piketty the economic role of the extreme rich was ignored.

Accretionist posted:

I think a non-FYAD LF would be great for the mid-term elections and literally drum up business for the site.
That would make the entire forum be a very funny series of educational effort posts. You'd need all the posters to be experts, but without having the focus blinders that come with being deeply buried in one subject and without them getting so wrapped up in the escoteria and in jokes of their field that communicating would be difficult. You'd also need them to all check their egos at the door and avoid expert pissing contests. It would basically be an astrophysics forum where every poster was Neil Degrasse Tyson, but for every topic.

While that would be great to read, it would be like finding a unicorn.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

GetWellGamers posted:

Yeah, along with an alt-history about a cameraman and his wife who escape getting force-aborted and Howard Dean suicide bombing temple square in Utah while screaming and Ron Paul's cadillac and gold plated revolver. I can't remember the name, or if it even had one, but it was insane and glorious and one of the best pieces of humorous fiction I've ever read.

And this last time we had Romney Death Rally. We are the gift that keeps giving

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

quote:

“Nature takes its vengeance on subsequent children,” Marshall said in 2010. “It’s a special punishment, Christians would suggest.”

Oh, would Christians suggest that?

Ezekiel 18:20 posted:

The one who sins is the one who will die. The child will not share the guilt of the parent, nor will the parent share the guilt of the child. The righteousness of the righteous will be credited to them, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against them.

I'd really love to tell this guy to gently caress right off in person.

Accretionist posted:

I disagree, really. The FYAD ruleset (if you will) is what made LF, because a lot of really funny posts were things that old-GBS rules would have disallowed.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

computer parts posted:

Maybe they didn't do it because people would make fun of them for stating the obvious. Like you just did.

Its not obvious to most people and Im mocking them for taking an eternity to get to it. The actual research is fascinating if a bit depressing. Plus one would hope that research doesn't get pursued or not based on the whims of imbeciles like myself.

Here's the money shot on that article

quote:

Gilens and Page analyze 1,779 policy outcomes over a period of more than 20 years. They conclude that “economic elites and organized groups representing business interests have substantial independent impacts on U.S. government policy, while mass-based interest groups and average citizens have little or no independent influence.”
the collective preferences of ordinary citizens had only a negligible estimated effect on policy outcomes, while the collective preferences of “economic elites” (roughly proxied by citizens at the 90th percentile of the income distribution) were 15 times as important

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/monkey-cage/wp/2014/04/08/rich-people-rule/

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 13, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Its not obvious to most people and Im mocking them for taking an eternity to get to it.

There was literally no time they could have produced it and not have it "take an eternity to get to it".

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

computer parts posted:

There was literally no time they could have produced it and not have it "take an eternity to get to it".

I know being pedantic is a good time and all but to circle back to the point I personally find it quite striking and a bit puzzling that the field of political science has seemingly very little research done on money in politics.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I know being pedantic is a good time and all but to circle back to the point I personally find it quite striking and a bit puzzling that the field of political science has seemingly very little research done on money in politics.

Because it's common sense.

It also doesn't hurt that the distribution of wealth makes it so you don't need anything more than "having a large amount of money makes you influential".

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

computer parts posted:

Because it's common sense.

It also doesn't hurt that the distribution of wealth makes it so you don't need anything more than "having a large amount of money makes you influential".

Its still worth it to lay out that the 0-60 percentile have just-about zero impact on legislative decisions vs. leaving it an unknown to be exaggerated later.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gerund posted:

Its still worth it to lay out that the 0-60 percentile have just-about zero impact on legislative decisions vs. leaving it an unknown to be exaggerated later.

The wealth distribution of the US makes that a given.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Has anyone read Picketty's new book Capital in the Twenty-First Century yet? What I'm hearing's good enough I might put it on the top of my pile.

BUSH 2112 posted:

I disagree, really. The FYAD ruleset (if you will) is what made LF, because a lot of really funny posts were things that old-GBS rules would have disallowed.

Maybe not the best descriptor. I associate the joke posts, empty quoting and 'polysci with swears' dynamic and so on with giving hardcore polysci nerds lax standards and a dedicated haunt. I associate the quadruple triple meta irony, mod-stalking and goatseing with 'no no guys, it's an FYAD lite'.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Goatse is good and if you think otherwise, well, you're no friend of mine

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

computer parts posted:

The wealth distribution of the US makes that a given.

You believe that it is apparent based on the surface reading of the political system that a regular citizen in america should have zero legislative impact on decisions , and not only that but that said regular citizen knows this as common knowledge?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gerund posted:

You believe that it is apparent based on the surface reading of the political system that a regular citizen in america should have zero legislative impact on decisions , and not only that but that said regular citizen knows this as common knowledge?

Yes, at least if we define regular citizen as "someone that will read this report".

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

computer parts posted:

Yes, at least if we define regular citizen as "someone that will read this report".

As there is a 'share this on Facebook' and 'email this to a friend' buttons on the website that has been cited, I think you're seeding false assumptions.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gerund posted:

As there is a 'share this on Facebook' and 'email this to a friend' buttons on the website that has been cited, I think you're seeding false assumptions.

And similar buttons exist for already existing statistics on wealth distribution.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

computer parts posted:

And similar buttons exist for already existing statistics on wealth distribution.

The original post:

This is what was established to say that the study was worthy rather than blasé.

A wealth distribution survey is not a political systems analysis. It is entirely valid cognitively to believe that the political system is not affected- or as affected- by wealth distribution as it is stated in the study.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gerund posted:

A wealth distribution survey is not a political systems analysis. It is entirely valid cognitively to believe that the political system is not affected- or as affected- by wealth distribution as it is stated in the study.

Again though, it doesn't matter past a certain point. It's already common knowledge that wealthy people control society (hence "Job creators" determining the fate of the economy, etc). Just because we now know that it's codified in a certain percentage isn't really helpful.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Also, while they said they studied the last 20 years, it could have been the last 4000 years and they would have reached the same conclusion.

I mean, if money and power didn't enable you to just make everything go your way, why would people want it so much?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 13, 2014

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

It is good that a study exists to explicitly codify the idea that the poor and working classes have a near-zero impact on the ways that laws are written and enforced. Because of this, it challenges at the root a belief structure that the 'little guy' does have an impact on policy and legislative decisions. And once armed with that, the civic conversation has a chance to move forward on solutions to create a more representative system.

I realize that 'raising awareness' is a favorite punching-bag against milquetoast progressive causes, but there does need to be well-written, strongly-founded challenges to the body of thought that entrusts an aristocracy with the noble obligation to lead the people. Without such you're going to be wading into deep water sounding like a college freshman raging against the wealthy 'because they're unfair'.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So, I made a reference to Congress in another forum here, and it just dawned on me... Why doesn't the GOP split up Texas?

It seems like you could split Texas up into a number of states, at least three if you turned Houston and Dallas into new capitals. Creating new GOP-controlled states out of one big GOP-controlled state would give you more GOP Senators, which would make it further difficult for Democrats to have any control in Congress. There's not exactly any real equal for the Democrats, as California's liberals are all centralized in two regions and I'm not sure New York is that much better.

I'm probably an idiot. I don't know much about the state economically , and I suppose it's very likely that the state's great expanses of nothing survive off the money made at the ports on the coast. The other issue is that such a proposal can be easily countered by a marketing campaign invoking the popular phrase, "Dont Mess With Texas", which is sort of a sure hit with low information voters.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Craptacular! posted:

So, I made a reference to Congress in another forum here, and it just dawned on me... Why doesn't the GOP split up Texas?

It seems like you could split Texas up into a number of states, at least three if you turned Houston and Dallas into new capitals. Creating new GOP-controlled states out of one big GOP-controlled state would give you more GOP Senators, which would make it further difficult for Democrats to have any control in Congress. There's not exactly any real equal for the Democrats, as California's liberals are all centralized in two regions and I'm not sure New York is that much better.

I'm probably an idiot. I don't know much about the state economically , and I suppose it's very likely that the state's great expanses of nothing survive off the money made at the ports on the coast. The other issue is that such a proposal can be easily countered by a marketing campaign invoking the popular phrase, "Dont Mess With Texas", which is sort of a sure hit with low information voters.
"We want to exercise a highly questionable clause from an old treaty that's probably illegal in order to pack the Senate, if you don't mind" seems like it'd be a losing cause. I wouldn't be shocked if it got floated rhetorically once Texas starts blueing up though :v:

e: comedy answer, this would constitute "messing"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It takes a huge amount of rural area to gerrymander out the Democratic votes in Houston, Austin, San Antonio, and Dallas is trending that way too. Carving up the state into smaller states controlled by those major cities is just going to give you one or two small-population Republican states (like Lubbockland), and several battleground states (Dallasland, Houstonland) or outright Democrat bastions (San AntAustinland, El Pasoland)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

The same idea comes up perennially within Washington state, commonly involving dividing the state between the bread-basket east of the cascade range (Yakima, Spokane) and the more industrially developed western side. It tends to die a death every time as soon as people question such bald-faced political arbitrage.

• Locked thread