Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

feedmegin posted:

To be fair, in the case of radar tech in particular and some other areas (like the atom bomb!), the US got a lot of free help/classified technology from the UK that Japan didn't get from Germany.

Japan scored some early British sets from I want to say, the invasion of Singapore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdmiralSmeggins
Nov 1, 2013

Fangz posted:

... Most squaddies in the British Army are scumbags? Uh... did you get lost on the way to D&D?

Scumbag is a synonym for chav here, not using whatever the american/ english meaning is, but in real terms the army is still made up from the dregs of the empire, just not the irish dregs. Disproportionately welsh and working class and so on.

But then of course I would have to admit bias given the war crimes committed by the British army against my compatriots.

I will retract and apologise though given it is a wide statement that may be unquantifiable and probably slanders some very good people. It doesn't change the fact that Britain idolises the other, less deserving members of HMs forces and I'm curious as to why societies idolises people who quite literally have shot children.

AdmiralSmeggins
Nov 1, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

Words fail me, aside from the obvious :getout: reguarding that whole general statement.

Any good translated books about the Austrian Empire fighting Napoleon?

I apologise for phrasing it in such a manner and appreciate the obvious ignorance it conveys. I should have said a not insignificant proportion.

edit: not accus7ng any BA member of shooting a child btw, I said societies, not just britain.

up the ra.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Are you trying to provoke an argument or what? It's a necessary topic to go over but you opened that in pretty much the worst way you possibly could have.

AdmiralSmeggins
Nov 1, 2013

Koramei posted:

Are you trying to provoke an argument or what? It's a necessary topic to go over but you opened that in pretty much the worst way you possibly could have.

Having apologised twice for doing just that I would hope it can be accepted that I do not intend to start a fight, in fact I'm looking to avail of your expertise invthis thread in identifying good source material, not hurr durr I love sinn fein and the taleban.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
You sound drunk as poo poo; go away and ask again tomorrow.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
I'm not a British Army apologist, but how did you think that referring to the working class (and ethnic minorities) as "scumbags" and "dregs" would make you look?

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

raverrn posted:

Does anybody have any good recommendations for books (preferably audio, but print'll do as well) about the Pacific theatre? Mostly I'm looking for boat stuff. Individual battles as well as an overview here and there - I just finished 1941: Contdown to Infamy and now I'm kinda curious.

"With the Old Breed" is a memoir from a Marine in WWII. It was one of the sources used in the Pacific miniseries from HBO a couple years ago.

AdmiralSmeggins
Nov 1, 2013

Koramei posted:

You sound drunk as poo poo; go away and ask again tomorrow.

I just wondered if anybody had any good recommendations to read on the topic, I used a loaded term, seriously, get over it. God forbid somebody generalises about a force of working class britons with a long standing record of morally dubious conduct.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
He sounds pretty drat offensive, this coming from a working class non scumbag and chav. Also, thanks for calling my living relatives child killers! you clearly have a firm grasp on the situation when it comes to The Troubles.

Seriously back on topic now, I'm looking for something out of the norm when it comes to the Napoleonic/Revolutionary Wars and the Austrian-Hungarian focused stuff might scratch that itch.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 10, 2014

AdmiralSmeggins
Nov 1, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

He sounds pretty drat offensive, this coming from a working class non scumbag and chav. Also, thanks for calling my living relatives child killers!
I'm fairly certain I clarified the child killer remark.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

He sounds pretty drat offensive, this coming from a working class non scumbag and chav. Also, thanks for calling my living relatives child killers! you clearly have a firm grasp on the situation when it comes to The Troubles.
But did you hear, they're poor! Poor! :byodood: (You of all people should be used to people calling British soldiers the scum of the earth.)

quote:

Seriously back on topic now, I'm looking for something out of the norm when it comes to the Napoleonic/Revolutionary Wars and the Austrian-Hungarian focused stuff might scratch that itch.
He's from the Kingdom of Westphalia and fought for Napoleon, not against him, but have you read Jakob Walther's diary?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Holy goddamn, that is even better.

AdmiralSmeggins
Nov 1, 2013
Reffering to the working class ( and as pointed out minorities) by a term that denotes 'lowest in society', I.e. dregs. Of course this makes me the reincarnation of thatcher.

I would like to apologise for both inferring and stating in baseless terms that squaddies are mostly scumbags, dregs, anything else and similalry that working class equals bad. I am sorrymfor coming accross this way it wasn't my intention and I will shut my mouth and not continue making an rear end of myself.

AdmiralSmeggins fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 10, 2014

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

AdmiralSmeggins posted:

Reffering to the working class ( and as pointed out minorities) by a term that denotes 'lowest in society', I.e. dregs. Of course this makes me the reincarnation of thatcher.
You're not supposed to sign your posts in SA.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Holy poo poo just stop talking.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

HEY GAL posted:

You're not supposed to sign your posts in SA.

He already knows that, because he was probated for doing that earlier in this very thread.

Smeggins, please stop posting.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Koramei posted:

I had the impression you supported inserting politics into history, even to the point of dismissing evidence contrary to the desired political objective. Certainly, the political motive behind AdmiralSmeggins statements are transparent enough.

Oh if you're still interested in Japanese perspectives on world war ii, you might like this article on the occupation of Japan:

http://www.japanfocus.org/-Mark-McLelland/3827

It's not strictly military history, in fact its about the sexual politics of post war Japan. But still it provides an interesting window into the agenda of Japanese leaders under the occupation.

quote:

as we will see, sexuality continued to be highly regulated and supervised, albeit in different ways and with different goals in mind. The Japanese authorities fully expected that the incoming Americans would behave in the same rapacious manner as had their own forces when they advanced across China and were determined to put in place measures to protect the purity of Japanese women. The US administration, on the other hand, rather than viewing their troops as sexual predators, tended to see these young men as “clean, innocent and vulnerable” and in danger of “having their morals corrupted and their health destroyed” by “shameless Japanese women.”3 The policies that the Allies enacted were intended to protect their own troops’ physical wellbeing, with scant regard paid to their effects on Japanese women and society.

Both authorities, Japanese and Occupier, were overwhelmingly concerned to regulate “fraternization” between local women and foreign troops, and many academic studies have examined in detail the lengths to which both sides went to monitor and restrict potential inter-racial sexual contacts.4 However, far less attention has been paid to the effects that the collapse of the military regime and the arrival of the American forces had upon Japanese male and female interaction and the representation of sexual discourse in the Japanese media. This chapter outlines some of the major policy decisions taken by the Occupation administration, particularly regarding the regulation of obscenity in the press that helped shape local Japanese sexual cultures during the Occupation period.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

AdmiralSmeggins posted:

I'm fairly certain I clarified the child killer remark.

You clarified nothing. I can't even figure out what you're asking for.

Go away.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

He's asking for texts which validate his views of British soldiers as walking Geneva violations. Gosh you guys stop making assumptions and stop being so intolerant :colbert:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

How rigid are the Geneva conventions and in a sorta historic context how well have they been upheld in the past?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

How rigid are the Geneva conventions and in a sorta historic context how well have they been upheld in the past?

I'd like to know this; it seems like the only time it's brought up is when someone is violating those pesky rules.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Good morning thread. 21 new messages. Surely something interesting happened?

Well, my squaddies *were* the sediment of our society. Not that they were babykillers or rapists, but interesting. I was the only one in 400 men who had high school education (above). These guys couldn't even read properly and within 2 weeks I knew where the best gambling dens, brothels and whores in town were without even being there (really!). Our drillseargent and all the other ncos were the same.

First day in uniform, on the parade ground, the drill seargant thundered: "AP HEUTE SEIT IHR.......SOLTATEN!" (he didn't know how to pronouce the words correctly. God, that was so funny and scary.) He was divorced, earned shitloads of money by being sent to the Golan every now and then and spent it all on hookers and booze. He looked like Rutger Hauer in this picture

That person had a certain quality and feel, you could imagine him being a mercenary captain in the 30yw. It would fit perfectly.

It was really spectacular, because apparently while growing up in *the* working class part of town, I was completely missing out the alternative reality that those guys were living in. Our education system seperates kids after elementary school, from then on the experience will differ dramatically. People will treat you like poo poo if they think that you just had vocational training. A sobering experience.

The other platoon that was in the same barrack with us consisted mostly of migrants (read: brown people and slavs) had constant exercises or poo poo tasks as punishment, because their didn't keep order, were talking back or pulled pranks on each other. I kind of wonder if they would have been treated correctly if they were locals?

Oh yes, and somebody shat on a toilet tank in the last night of basic training. What a great idea. Apparently he did some shaky balancing and fell into his own poop. I was told that this happens every time. Either in the lavatories, a trashcan or the corridor. Another dude was so drunk that he pissed in the middle of their room and then tried to wipe it with his uniform.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JaucheCharly posted:

It was really spectacular, because apparently while growing up in *the* working class part of town, I was completely missing out the alternative reality that those guys were living in. Our education system seperates kids after elementary school, from then on the experience will differ dramatically. People will treat you like poo poo if they think that you just had vocational training. A sobering experience.
That's actually pretty interesting. The reason why is that I grew up in the lovely part of every town I've been in, surrounded by people who were much better off than my family materially but who were far less well-educated than we were. They were all Hispanic and I am white, so our native languages were different. And when we spoke English, the dialects were different. (I can still talk like they do, which I do whenever I'm talking to someone from their background so nobody feels self-conscious.) But we all went to the same schools until college, which is when I went to a tiny liberal arts college that all other Americans will make fun of, and they didn't go to college at all.

The second reason why is that I've been to your neighborhood, and I thought it was rather "street," or as street as it's possible for an Austrian to be.

Edit: Also, I've read a bunch of people who talk exactly like that. It's not "incorrect" if whole hordes of people do it, according to linguists.

Edit 2: Most of the 30YW mercenary captains I've read are well educated enough to write like assholes, Baroque syntax flopping around everywhere on the page and Latin every other word. It's the lieutenants and under who are less well educated, which means I can understand them.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Apr 11, 2014

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
quote, edit, etc

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Ha yes, but our "street" is a joke. I've never been mugged my entire life. The old prole ways are gone and now you have turkish and balkan subculture here. It's like a holiday resort where you can buy kebap at every corner or get a new haircut from Batu, not comparable with notorious parts of Berlin or Paris. Occasionally I see american tourists here and wonder what they're thinking of it. Walking home here at night is most likely safer than they will ever be in their best parts at home.

We don't have people here that smoke meth and eat dogs/rats (I'm looking at you, Bratislava). Heroine is big again I think. When I go to work, there's always a crowd of junkies outside the pharmacy where they pick up their methadone. Occasionally you can see somebody passed out in the subway.

A french girlfriend once told me that she can't believe how orderly and clean everything is here, "even your hobos are cleaner". It's so loving clean and new in there, they even have a seperate counter for that in the pharmacy where a robot arm picks up the order and gets it to the clerk. That, ladies and gentlemen is the future.

HEY GAL posted:

Edit: Also, I've read a bunch of people who talk exactly like that. It's not "incorrect" if whole hordes of people do it, according to linguists.

You're lurking in the German thread again, admit it. Oh, and I meant Sergeant. Captain is Hauptmann, right? I still can't believe that there is anybody reading baroque *german* texts on his/her own free will. We had that at school, some is ok and easy like Grimmelshausen and Gryphius, but other works are completely impossible to read.

What I actually wanted to post:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/11/world/europe/satellites-show-russia-mobilizing-near-ukraine-nato-says.html?ref=world&_r=0

And then something else from Syria, where somebody got his hands on a TOW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVuPrIuYDAI

Are these easy to operate? Like, read the manual and knock out a tank?

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Apr 11, 2014

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JaucheCharly posted:

Occasionally I see american tourists here and wonder what they're thinking of it.
Mostly we're amused, to be honest. And I've never been afraid in Berlin or the former East Germany either. The only time I've ever been cussed out by a tweaker for not giving him money is back home. But I have heard bad things about London.

quote:

You're lurking in the German thread again, admit it. Oh, and I meant Sergeant. Captain is Hauptmann, right? I still can't believe that there is anybody reading baroque *german* texts on his/her own free will. We had that at school, some is ok and easy like Grimmelshausen and Gryphius, but other works are completely impossible to read.
I don't go to the German thread because I'm ashamed of my German.
Captain is Hauptmann. Do you mean Feldwebel?
It's of my own free will but people also pay me. And it's not very bad; reading Oedipus Rex and Plato in undergraduate prepared me for people who think word order is optional and that declension endings can carry the whole thing.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Feldwebel it is, but the older word is different?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

JaucheCharly posted:

First day in uniform, on the parade ground, the drill seargant thundered: "AP HEUTE SEIT IHR.......SOLTATEN!" (he didn't know how to pronouce the words correctly. God, that was so funny and scary.)

You are so lucky I'm on a phone or else you would get such a talking to in phonetically transcribed Bavarian.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
DTIC has some really neat stuff in it, like this metallurgical analysis of a Japanese samurai sword.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Xiahou Dun posted:

You are so lucky I'm on a phone or else you would get such a talking to in phonetically transcribed Bavarian.

He could only speak heavy dialect, but there he tried high german. It was comical, as if he'd try to speak another language that he wasn't familiar with.

Btw, I found this on mughal warfare. Might be an interesting read:

https://www.academia.edu/3795135/Mughal_Warfare_1495-1612_Modalities_Logistics_and_Geography

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 11, 2014

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JaucheCharly posted:

He could only speak heavy dialect, but there he tried high german. It was comical, as if he'd try to speak another language that he wasn't familiar with.
That's literally what he was doing. (Edit: When my grandfather entered the Italian Navy between WW1 and WW2--he was involved in something in Lybia?--they taught him Italian. His native language was Neapolitan.)

But please do not encourage Xiahou Dun.

JaucheCharly posted:

Feldwebel it is, but the older word is different?
The 17th century word for Sergeant is Sergeant, but they make sure to write it in the foreign-words-script because it's from French. Also, there's only one per company.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 11, 2014

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
The guy who hates squaddies is being unfair but let's take a moment here to remember that some people have a way less detached view of war and violence than prevails in this thread. If he has occupying forces fighting in the town where he lives how could he not think "hey gently caress these people" at some point? It's a little more personal than arguing about which battleships could beat each other.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

swamp waste posted:

The guy who hates squaddies is being unfair but let's take a moment here to remember that some people have a way less detached view of war and violence than prevails in this thread. If he has occupying forces fighting in the town where he lives how could he not think "hey gently caress these people" at some point? It's a little more personal than arguing about which battleships could beat each other.

I can totally sympathise that some people have a very negative view of certain armed forces, but really this thread is not the right place to provoke a giant flame war about it.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

swamp waste posted:

I think you are being far too reasonable. If we accepted your proposition he would have to be a time traveler from the late twentieth century.

Or Admiralsmeggins was a small child at the time of the troubles.

If he was a bit more particular with his complaints about the British Army I might take him seriously. As an Englishman the actions of the parachute regiment 1st battalion in derry particularly sicken me.

Infact, the whole colonial british empire stuff upsets me, but he needs to be a bit more specific in his hatred than squaddies.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

swamp waste posted:

I'm Irish and I go to Belfast every year during marching season for an unrelated nerd event. He's being a dick.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

HEY GAL posted:

But please do not encourage Xiahou Dun.

Wos hob i gedahn!? :(

And for the record, when I'm not on a phone y'all are getting a stern talking to on the etymology of 'barbarian' from ten pages back.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
To bring the thread back on track, I believe the GBS has found the ultimate answer to the question of "how would the war turn out if Gay Black Hitler"

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

steinrokkan posted:

To bring the thread back on track, I believe the GBS has found the ultimate answer to the question of "how would the war turn out if Gay Black Hitler"

OperationSeaLion.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MrYenko posted:

OperationSeaLion.jpg

There would only be one sailboat and the soldiers would be wading instead of on horseback but otherwise a pretty accurate rendition of how sealion would've gone down.

• Locked thread