Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

icantfindaname posted:

I too think it's a good business decision to go out of my way to piss off the people who buy and play my games.

note: i don't, and have never, played competitive smash bros

Weren't these the people that bullied a fifteen year old kid to giving up his first place prize at Evo because the entire community failed to know how to fight against ROB? They were upset and felt the game was cheap and not fair because the tournament was played with items on instead of off. Supposedly ROB stinks but is incredible when items are involved. Yet if you watch the videos the kid clearly is an expert at the game and earned it. The Pro Smash Community treated this fifteen year old kid like poo poo because he completely mastered the game and owned them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Are we really using the argument that the competitive Smash gaming crowd is enough to pull the Wii U out of the gutter? I don't know what to say to that one because it's lunacy and the only people that believe it are the ones whose entire identity is Smash.

The competitive Smash crowd is seriously the spergiest of the spergs when it comes to gaming and they will not leave their comfort zone of Melee.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

Yeah, whoever heard of a portable Nintendo game having a large multiplayer following.

Absolutely unheard of.

This isn't even what I was saying but gently caress it, this thread is so full of miserable moping that I don't expect to hear anything but relentless bitching about this

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Equilibrium posted:

By the time Smash U comes out the game will have already been eviscerated by the competitive Smash community who will no doubt be livid over system changes and character balance. These people are awful but they'll also poison a lot of the discussion and hype surrounding the game, Nintendo's making a big mistake by not cashing in on blind nostalgia while they still have the chance.

The conversation on these boards gets poisoned even faster by goons whining about the existence of people who don't play the game the way they do, regardless of whether it's "competitive rules" or "all items all characters".

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nah man, it's the ones complaining about the complainers that are the intolerable ones!!! <-- A great and cool thing to say in the year 2014.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

I was more referencing the fact there's no way people will get together and huddle with their 3ds handhelds for social play, playing smash while yelling at your rear end in a top hat friends is half the fun and regardless of online play, I'd rather do that on a big screen

Not really, me and my friends would much rather play comfortably in our homes across wifi with our 3DS' than maybe once every few weeks spend the few hours we all have off together playing in the living room. poo poo, I can be in my underwear at home eating a bagel and my other friend can be riding the bus home from work.

As long as it's not as lovely as Brawl's online, that is.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Maybe they'll pull what Monster Hunter 3 on 3DS did and make it so playing online can only be done through a Wii-U.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

I too think it's a good business decision to go out of my way to piss off the people who buy and play my games.

note: I don't, and have never, played competitive smash bros

Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 is arguably the most popular fighting game on the planet, it is in everything, and that game barely cracked a million sold, the Smash community isn't even a fraction of the size that the Ultimate Marvel one is, on top of the fact that they are massive spergs who live Melee and only Melee, to the point where they made an entire mode for Brawl to make it more like Melee.

Trust me, I know way to much about that community that I care to due to one of my friends having been in the pro community for so long, thankfully he was one of the normal ones but the poo poo he told me sometimes. :ughh:

I don't see why they would mad though, they just have to wait a little longer.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

univbee posted:

Maybe they'll pull what Monster Hunter 3 on 3DS did and make it so playing online can only be done through a Wii-U.

It's on both versions.

So right now the 3DS version is releasing SEVERAL MONTHS earlier than the WiiU version with an exclusive game mode, while the WiiU version has! .....

gently caress

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

So right now the 3DS version is releasing SEVERAL MONTHS earlier than the WiiU version with an exclusive game mode, while the WiiU version has! .....

Several more months until it releases?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Well I mean maybe there's a nicer way to put it than 'I told you so', but it was pretty obvious Nintendo's focus this year, as presented to their investors, was in turning a profit, and the only way to do that is to focus on the system that is generating profit and that's the 3DS. The "long-term" strategy doesn't matter if everyone gets axed before it reaches fruition. Right now it's about short-term and stopping the bleeding, and the best way to maximize sales of Smash Bros is to do it this way, even if it further puts the Wii U at a disadvantage. Really strong software sales and sales of 3DS systems is the only real way Nintendo can overcome the losses they're taking on Wii U.

They haven't talked about anything for 2015 because 2015 doesn't matter right now. It's all about this year, making money this year. They'll worry about next year, next year. Similarly, they haven't announced anything new for Wii U this year because it's a dead platform. They have multiple major titles coming to 3DS in the next couple of months alone. They're all-in on 3DS. They have two major titles for Wii U this year, one next month and one in December-ish. That's it. (Bayonetta 2 is not a major title, sorry. It won't sell. It's Platinum, anyway.)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 9, 2014

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

deadwing posted:

Several more months until it releases?
Specific mode announced for a version of a game launching sooner than anyone thought it would + nothing about specific modes announced for a version of the same game that won't be released until the end of the year > there will be no exclusive modes for the later version > Nintendo is abandoning the Wii U to die, all hope is lost, we are still dead in our sins.

This is how logic works right?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Alteisen posted:

Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 is arguably the most popular fighting game on the planet, it is in everything, and that game barely cracked a million sold, the Smash community isn't even a fraction of the size that the Ultimate Marvel one is, on top of the fact that they are massive spergs who live Melee and only Melee, to the point where they made an entire mode for Brawl to make it more like Melee.

Trust me, I know way to much about that community that I care to due to one of my friends having been in the pro community for so long, thankfully he was one of the normal ones but the poo poo he told me sometimes. :ughh:

I don't see why they would mad though, they just have to wait a little longer.

Smash Bros is a Nintendo game made for children. A very small and vocal percentage of people care about things such as updated gliding mechanics and if tripping has been removed. I guarantee that the majority of the people that will buy the game will only care about if the characters they want to play with are in the game.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

If they went for a simultaneous release, both versions would be coming out in Winter 2014, not sooner than that (because whichever way they schedule it, the total number of manhours needed to complete the pair of games should remain about the same). I can see how the company might prefer getting one version out earlier and then focusing on finishing the other; the ROI is more immediate.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chaltab posted:

Specific mode announced for a version of a game launching sooner than anyone thought it would + nothing about specific modes announced for a version of the same game that won't be released until the end of the year > there will be no exclusive modes for the later version > Nintendo is abandoning the Wii U to die, all hope is lost, we are still dead in our sins.

This is how logic works right?

When the WiiU hasn't had ANY other bones thrown its way? Sure.

I mean I'm sure a lot of people were doubtful the game would even release this year and all of the sudden the 3DS is getting an extremely early release on the WiiU.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 9, 2014

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

(Bayonetta 2 is not a major title, sorry. It won't sell. It's Platinum, anyway.)
There's also X, though I guess it's also questionably 'major'.

Supercar Gautier posted:

If they went for a simultaneous release, both versions would be coming out in Winter 2014, not sooner than that (because whichever way they schedule it, the total number of manhours needed to complete the pair of games should remain about the same). I can see how the company might prefer getting one version out earlier and then focusing on finishing the other; the ROI is more immediate.
Also, the Wii U version is obviously an HD title, which means it by default takes more polish and spit-shine to get it ready to debut. A simultaneous release would see the sales of the 3DS version canabalize the Wii U version just because of the vast difference in how many people own each system. Releasing Wii U first would spur platform sales in the short term, but Nintendo is still not even breaking even on hardware, and giving the HD title less development time than the SD handheld version would likely just result in a shoddy or incomplete product for Wii U (see also: Battlefield 4 at launch). They already have one juggernaut in Mario Kart hitting next month, which has similar casual/crossover/nostalgia appeal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neither Bayonetta 2 nor X are "major titles." I want both of them but I'll be shocked if they sold more than 1,500,000 copies combined if they were on a successful system, let alone the Wii U.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

That said, even the 3DS lineup is a bit of a mystery and after May it's really unclear as to what is coming next. If Wii U fans are hoping for the turnaround jumper to come from E3, I think they'll be disappointed, because I expect E3 to be primarily about 3DS announcements for Summer, Fall, and Holiday season. With most of the major Nintendo franchises represented on 3DS now, unless they're going to break out the next tier of IPs such as Wario Ware, Punch-Out, Pikmin, more Mario Sports, and Pokemon spinoffs, then I'm not sure what else they will do.

I mean they JUST put out a new Zelda.. they haven't released more than one NSMB title on a platform, and the 3DS already has DKCR, Mario Kart, Smash, Pokemon, Mario 3D Land, Luigi's Mansion, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, every notable Nintendo mainstay all in a row. So unless the plan is to Call of Duty it with NSMB I would expect some of the games I mentioned above to be next.

Wii U? They'll get their scraps. Hey look, NES Remix 2 this month. Guess what they'll announce at E3? NES Remix 3. Maybe they'll show 15 seconds of a Zelda title that's 2 years away. Or maybe they'll just talk about Mario Kart DLC tracks.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

they haven't released more than one NSMB title on a platform,

EAD Tokyo is already working on the next Mario game. They won't say if it's for 3DS or Wii U.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/potential-new-wii-u-mario-game-could-aim-to-use-the-gamepad-more-says-nintendo/

Either way, both systems have had a 2D and 3D Mario game, so it will be yet another similar Mario game on the platform.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Astro7x posted:

EAD Tokyo is already working on the next Mario game. They won't say if it's for 3DS or Wii U.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/potential-new-wii-u-mario-game-could-aim-to-use-the-gamepad-more-says-nintendo/

Either way, both systems have had a 2D and 3D Mario game, so it will be yet another similar Mario game on the platform.

Could be a Mario RPG, which WiiU doesn't have one of yet. Or could be a sandbox which neither has.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

Weren't these the people that bullied a fifteen year old kid to giving up his first place prize at Evo because the entire community failed to know how to fight against ROB? They were upset and felt the game was cheap and not fair because the tournament was played with items on instead of off. Supposedly ROB stinks but is incredible when items are involved. Yet if you watch the videos the kid clearly is an expert at the game and earned it. The Pro Smash Community treated this fifteen year old kid like poo poo because he completely mastered the game and owned them all.

You have a link for this?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

greatn posted:

Could be a Mario RPG, which WiiU doesn't have one of yet. Or could be a sandbox which neither has.

Mario RPGs aren't developed by EAD though? Paper Mario is developed by Intelligent Systems, and Mario and Luigi by AlphaDream.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Eifert Posting posted:

I definitely remember hearing that story when it came out. Also, I'm pretty sure the poop story was Smash Bros. related. Either that, or Pokemon. Pretty sure Smash Bros. though.

Basically, anything that annoys those people is probably okay.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

icantfindaname posted:

Mario RPGs aren't developed by EAD though? Paper Mario is developed by Intelligent Systems, and Mario and Luigi by AlphaDream.

IT could be a new kind of one.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly EAD probably has a standing policy of always having at least one Mario platformer in active development.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

I don't know where to find a write up of the events that happened after, but here's footage of the final match

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFcnnPtUhGw

You don't have to play a ton of Smash to realize that it wasn't luck the ROB player won.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I don't think they should let computers play in EVO.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
A rare peek behind the curtain at the offices of Nintendo.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

I definitely remember hearing that story when it came out. Also, I'm pretty sure the poop story was Smash Bros. related. Either that, or Pokemon. Pretty sure Smash Bros. though.

Basically, anything that annoys those people is probably okay.
The poop-flinging thing was Pokemon. Here's an old podcast clip about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns5MgXjE4N8

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

The Kins posted:

The poop-flinging thing was Pokemon. Here's an old podcast clip about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns5MgXjE4N8

My bad. "Handful of action" will always be funny, though.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bass Bottles posted:

A rare peek behind the curtain at the offices of Nintendo.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/454663848176279552
Yes, this was posted on their official Twitter

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Nintendo needs more of that and less of the cranky kong garbage. That tweet actually seems halfway self-aware and satirically funny to me.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I almost impulse bought a Wii U because I have some downtime for the next 1.5 months and saw that there is a $300 bundle at Target with NSMBU, the Luigi add-on, and a $50 gift card which I could use toward the "buy 2, get 1" deal that ends today. When I couldn't find three other games that I was really excited about playing I decided to do some looking around and saw just how bleak the situation is. Yikes. I've played a lot of Nintendo in my life (Consoles and handhelds owned were NES, Genesis -> SNES, GB -> N64, GBC -> PS2, GC, Xbox, GBA, PSP, DS -> Wii, PS3, Vita -> PS4), but I've been so busy with my PS3, PS4, and Vita in the past few years that I hadn't fully realized just how bleak things were. I knew it was bad, but I didn't realize it makes the Vita look like a raging success.

E3 should be interesting. For their sake, I hope it is! I think Nintendo has enough in the bank to give home consoles one more try, but their antiquated business models (ostracizing third party for four console generations in a row, no accounts, and you can lose your digital purchases?) and reputation will make it difficult.

I was one click away from posting this in the wrong Wii U thread. That would have been bad.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Part of the problem is that Nintendo has adopted a Sega Saturn approach to marketing, which is "We're going to announce a new game, AND IT'S OUT IN A WEEK!!" I want to say that's hyperbole but they literally did that with some of their eShop offerings. Tamodachi Life was just announced by Nintendo and it's only 2 months off.

The apparent logic behind this, according to past goons who put words in Nintendo's mouths, is that there's less of a risk of delaying games if they announce them only after they've gone gold. All that accomplishes, however, is leaving everyone in the dark and giving the public the impression that nothing exists and nothing is to come. Nintendo for all we know has 12 games coming out for Wii U this year, but because they don't announce them until right before they come out, the current impression is that Nintendo has only 2 in-house titles for Wii U this year.

Until Tamodachi Life was announced this week, Nintendo's upcoming 3DS software lineup had absolutely NO RELEASE DATES beyond May. It was and remains a complete mystery. What games are they releasing the second half of this year? We don't know. They may tell us at E3. Or they may wait until a week before they come out. And then they scratch their heads trying to figure out why they're lacking in visibility.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

And for what it's worth, there are quite a few interesting Wii U games already out. Lego City, the Wonderful 101, and Pikmin 3, to name a few that aren't more Mario.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'd say get Nintendo Land, Wonderful 101, and Darksiders II, which would total to $80 because D2 is 20 and the other are 30. So after your gift card you'd pay $0 for all three (W101 30 + DS2 20, the third game free) or possibly $10 if the free game has to be equal in price to the lowest cost game.

So for $310 you'd have Super Mario U, Super Luigi U, Wonderful 101, Darksiders 2, and Nintendo Land, which is a fantastic deal.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Chaltab posted:

And for what it's worth, there are quite a few interesting Wii U games already out. Lego City, the Wonderful 101, and Pikmin 3, to name a few that aren't more Mario.

Zombie U is a good game, additionally. It stutters a little because of the gamepad driven menus, but otherwise its pretty good for survival horror.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

greatn posted:

I'd say get Nintendo Land, Wonderful 101, and Darksiders II, which would total to $80 because D2 is 20 and the other are 30. So after your gift card you'd pay $0 for all three (W101 30 + DS2 20, the third game free) or possibly $10 if the free game has to be equal in price to the lowest cost game.

So for $310 you'd have Super Mario U, Super Luigi U, Wonderful 101, Darksiders 2, and Nintendo Land, which is a fantastic deal.

The deal is already over, and I think I'll be fine to wait until some time in 2015 (if ever) to pick up a Wii U. If there are already deals as good as this now, then there will probably similar (or better) deals in the future and the games will be even cheaper. I think my niece could get a kick out of it, especially the game pad, so it might be good for a birthday present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

Until Tamodachi Life was announced this week, Nintendo's upcoming 3DS software lineup had absolutely NO RELEASE DATES beyond May. It was and remains a complete mystery. What games are they releasing the second half of this year? We don't know. They may tell us at E3.

Is Nintendo actually holding a conference this year? Their decision to skip doing so last year was really stupid, I think.

• Locked thread