Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Nihilarian posted:

Has no one done a non-english LP on the SA forums?

raocow did a video in French once, and I thought it was really funny because he read an block of English text as if they were French words. Good f'n luck finding one specific raocow video ever again though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Comna
May 22, 2012

schtzn
schtzn
t-t-t-t
t-t-t-t

Nihilarian posted:

Has no one done a non-english LP on the SA forums?

No, but I would much like to see someone post a serious non-English let's play on here.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

GuavaMoment posted:

raocow did a video in French once, and I thought it was really funny because he read an block of English text as if they were French words. Good f'n luck finding one specific raocow video ever again though.

The first result when googling Raocow French found it, so it wasn't too bad.

Well, technically it found a translation, but still. The link to the actual video is in there, anyways.

Edit: Huh, it looks like I actually remember French. Surprised I can follow (some) of what he's saying even when he talks more panicky and fast. It really does make me what to find LPs in other languages to watch.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 12, 2014

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
It's a little funny that we're on German LPs, since the definitive Psychonauts LP here was done by a German, who has spent most of today watching Day9 being extremely bad at Psychonauts on stream.

I call Sethur's LP definitive not just for its comprehensiveness, but because I've seen it be the final nail in the coffin of two later attempts in the sandcastle. To be fair, there's not really anything against having a second LP of the same game anymore, and someone did try to argue this. However, they went too far and added that Sethur sounded bored, resulting in a verbal blasting from a completely different German.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I was one of the people who asked about high-quality German LPs in the comments of your video, and what someone replied does make sense: There's no SA-like place in German, so the videos are gonna be Youtube quality no matter what you do -- you have no better reference point. After all, if you're well-versed enough in the English language that you can visit SA (or any other English speaking place that enforces quality, which probably exist), you're probably gonna make your LP in English, because it includes a far bigger audience.
I believe DocM of Mindcrack is German. Of course, he speaks English for Mindcrack videos. Despite obvious jokes about quality, there's something to this English-centric LP thing.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

my dad posted:

Рекао бих да не, пошто их нико не би разумео.

You have to admit; it'd be a semi-interesting gimmick for a few videos...

(My Russian is absolutely terrible; so it took me around five minutes to work out what this meant...)

e: hahaha; that's why I got confused with the translation and relied on google translate: didn't notice that it came out as Serbian. I'm a dumb idiot.

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 13, 2014

DWK
Sep 18, 2009

my dad posted:

Рекао бих да не, пошто их нико не би разумео.

Well not everyone is from an english speaking county or has English as a first language. And some people have second, third or even forth languages.

Also, I was having trouble reading this so got Google to help me and it says it's Serbian which was probably the problem.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

Hot drat, I never thought I'd see the day where I can post this. See, I'm from Germany and do some Lp stuff too, but I do it in English and don't watch a single Lp from my country. I got introduced to this stuff by English speaking people, so maybe I'm just biased, but I never found a single German Lp video that I liked.

That's pretty much exactly my take on this too. Although I think my utter disdain for German LPs comes from the fact that they hid closer to home in a way? What I'm saying is I am not sure your average German LP is any worse than your average English Youtube LP, since they're made with basically the same target audience and quality standards in mind.

Fish Noise posted:

It's a little funny that we're on German LPs, since the definitive Psychonauts LP here was done by a German, who has spent most of today watching Day9 being extremely bad at Psychonauts on stream.

Well there's a fundamental difference between "German LP" and "LP by a German". Simply Simon isn't exactly my cuppa tea, but his Megaman LPs seem really popular over here. Plus if there's one thing I noticed while browsing the LP subforum, it's that having an accent lets you skip trivial formalities like "being good at games", "trying to inform" or "having a sense of humour".

Fake edit: That kinda comes across like I'm saying non-native-English-speaking LPs here are bad and are only noteworthy because the LPers have accents. That's not what I mean, I'm just saying that at least a couple years back "aw man, your accent is hilarious" was a pretty common sentiment.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...

a cartoon duck posted:

Having an accent lets you skip trivial formalities like "being good at games", "trying to inform" or "having a sense of humour".

Stop revealing my comedy crutch to the masses, you wanker! :britain:

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Yeah; if seems that one of the first posts in the first threat of any new non-yank LPer is either "that's a nice accent!!!" or "I don't understand a word of this!!!". I imagine that its a little annoying as an LPer; especially if English isn't your first/second language...

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I recall following a Retsupurae thread somewhere else a long while ago, and everyone was pleasant and enjoyed the content. Then there was a video with PsychedelicEyeball or someone else with a similar accent and the negative comments and backlash were ridiculous, death threats included. It's crazy how people react the moment something foreign shows up.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

HGH posted:

I recall following a Retsupurae thread somewhere else a long while ago, and everyone was pleasant and enjoyed the content. Then there was a video with PsychedelicEyeball or someone else with a similar accent and the negative comments and backlash were ridiculous, death threats included. It's crazy how people react the moment something foreign shows up.

To be fair, I think I know which video you meant and I just didn't think PsychedelicEyeball was funny in that one at all.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HGH posted:

Then there was a video with PsychedelicEyeball or someone else with a similar accent and the negative comments and backlash were ridiculous, death threats included. It's crazy how people react the moment something foreign shows up.

I hear he's from Quebec, so he deserves it. J'espere que personne prend ca au serieux :canada:

I remember a similar thing happening with "The Spoony One" or just Spoony, whatever, where he was doing some videos on fighting game movies and he had a co-commentator by the name of Film Brain (I think). FB tends to really prolong the pronounciation of the last syllable which really caught the ire of Spoony's viewers and apparently they were sending death threats and the like.

I personally don't like the way FB talks but I mean, death threats, really? It's just a silly video about Tekken or King of Fighters

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 13, 2014

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Jobbo_Fett posted:

To be fair, I hear he's from Quebec. J'espere que personne prend ca au serieux :canada:

I remember a similar thing happening with "The Spoony One" or just Spoony, whatever, where he was doing some videos on fighting game movies and he had a co-commentator by the name of Film Brain (I think). FB tends to really prolong the pronounciation of the last syllable which really caught the ire of Spoony's viewers and apparently they were sending death threats and the like.

I personally don't like the way FB talks but I mean, death threats, really? It's just a silly video about Tekken or King of Fighters

That's more Spoonies fans in general. I think his girlfriend was on a video once and they insulted her so much that she never made an appearance again.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Speaking of Spoony, a few years back I watched his LP of Ripper, and it was a pretty good watch, from what I remember.

Shame that I hear he's really unstable and pretty much an rear end in a top hat to people.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
^^^
His LP of Phantasmagoria 2: A puzzle of the flesh is hilarious. He seems to be put on the spot in some situations and he can be an rear end at times for sure, but I don't think he's one all the time.

Boxturret posted:

That's more Spoonies fans in general. I think his girlfriend was on a video once and they insulted her so much that she never made an appearance again.

Can't say I can remember that moment but yeah, his fans can be a pain in the rear end sometimes. It's why I rarely, if ever, read/check the comments or post one myself.

Spoony himself can be hilarious and I almost wish he'd bring Wrestle Wrestle back... almost.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Jobbo_Fett posted:

It's been a while since I watched or even thought about Spoony but the last I heard he has just about the shittiest fans its possible to have without being My Little Pony. Like his girlfriend won't do videos anymore, his friends hesitate to do videos with him and don't want him featuring their videos on his site, basically everyone who's not Spoony gets this deluge of bile if they stray even a little bit near the radar of Spoony's audience, and sometimes when they're bored they turn the hose on Spoony himself; like no one involved has to actually do anything wrong, Spoony has just managed to accrue an audience that consists almost entirely of people who can only enjoy themselves by making other people feel threatened and unsafe in as graphic and overdone a way as possible. Kind of makes me wonder why he still makes videos.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Anyone wondering what the thought process is for someone who decides to do YouTube for a job:

Reddit Person posted:

I've been researching and mapping out a goal of going full time on Youtube with a gaming channel.

I currently do not have a Youtube channel, so I'm literally starting from zero. I know a lot of people would suggest building up the channel while still working, but there is not enough time in the week to get it all done. Between the commute, the 40 hour work week, and any extra work I take on... it's too much. Plus from what I have researched it really takes full time effort to make youtube a full time business.

I'm willing to put in the effort spending 7 days per week recording/editing/promoting. Financially, I could go two years of working on my youtube channel exclusively without any income. But obviously this is a worst case scenario. I also have zero commitments other than rent (No mortgage, wife, kids, loans, debt, etc...). I still do have the ability to do freelance video editing to generate income and the adsense has to pay at least a few hundred if I'm grinding out videos and promoting them everyday.

I'm also starting with much more experience than most other Youtubers. I currently work as a professional video editor for a major cable television network focusing on their digital media. I make and deliver videos to Youtube, iTunes, Amazon every day. I know the ins and outs of creating dynamic videos with the highest quality. I've even taken voice acting classes for voice over work, but this would help me with game commentary. I'm also lightning fast when it comes to editing. Making videos is already my job, I know how to get it done. I also happen to already own all the necessary equipment for game capturing. The mics, the capture device, the PC, webcam, etc. I either bought them for my current work or because I was curious about how the let's play recording would work. I'm not saying any of this makes me a great lets player or youtuber, but it does mean that I will run into less technical issues and I already have ideas for marketing my videos.

Am I motivated by money? Fame? Not necessarily. I enjoy playing and supporting games. I view this as a business opportunity, but also something I feel morally good about doing. I do not want a future working at a television network, the content I create there is pure garbage with aweful sponsors. I may as well work for a tobacco company. It's soul destroying work. I've had 4 of these types of jobs since graduating and the companies are all the same.

I have a strategy written up for branding and marketing my channel, I just don't want to release the specifics here. All I can say is that it involves spending a lot of time on graphics, specific recording techniques, and branding myself to stand out from every other gaming channel. It's not a completely original or new idea, it's just enough to stand out.

So my question is... is going full time on Youtube feasible?

Based on my research it seems like Youtube and Youtube gaming is still growing at a very fast rate. They say gaming channels are over saturated, yet I can't find a single channel who has had a decrease in subs or view counts. Even smaller channels with 50k subs experience growth. People want to watch all kinds of gaming videos from all kinds of people. I don't necessarily see other gaming channels as competition. People watch different types of gaming videos with different commentaries for variety. Otherwise there would only be one channel for each game. People seems to prefer the personal experience from an independent Youtuber vs a big media company. There are a lot of opportunities for partnerships. Anyone who has a few thousand subs seems to get partnered. The growth of a channel is very cumulative. Having an archive of great videos makes a difference as well as having an audience that will spread the word and give you feedback.

This is what top Youtubers always seem to have on their channels: 1. High quality. Nothing lower than todays standards of 1080p and commentary with a great microphone and webcam. 2. Volume. They are posting a minimum of 1 video per day.
3. Consistency - Everything about the experience is consistent. The quality, the types of games, the commentary, release of content, communication with fans. 4. Speed. They get early copies of the game and post videos as soon as the publisher allows.

For someone who is already skilled and understands the video world, I can't think of a reason why I can't do the same as what's listed above. The only issue I can imagine is that it's a really really really slow start. It may take at least a year of commitment to see any traction. And you can't lose any momentum. It's absolutely necessary to post daily.

TLDR Cliff Notes: Pro video editor at a major cable television network, already own all equipment for game capture. Want to go full time on Youtube. Is it a terrible idea or just really hard work?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I sorta know a guy that lives off his youtube channel, he started doing it while also looking for regular jobs and his channel just kept growing. He doesn't make that much but he lives in eastern europe so the money he makes of it is worth a it more compared to the US/western Europe. I don't really watch his content myself but he only does grand strategy and 4k games, and doesn't shriek or have a facecam so more power to him.

Emprah
Feb 1, 2014

Zedd posted:

I sorta know a guy that lives off his youtube channel, he started doing it while also looking for regular jobs and his channel just kept growing. He doesn't make that much but he lives in eastern europe so the money he makes of it is worth a it more compared to the US/western Europe. I don't really watch his content myself but he only does grand strategy and 4k games, and doesn't shriek or have a facecam so more power to him.

Could we get a link to this friend's channel? I'm always a sucker for grand strategy games.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dr. Buttass posted:

It's been a while since I watched or even thought about Spoony but the last I heard he has just about the shittiest fans its possible to have without being My Little Pony. Like his girlfriend won't do videos anymore, his friends hesitate to do videos with him and don't want him featuring their videos on his site, basically everyone who's not Spoony gets this deluge of bile if they stray even a little bit near the radar of Spoony's audience, and sometimes when they're bored they turn the hose on Spoony himself; like no one involved has to actually do anything wrong, Spoony has just managed to accrue an audience that consists almost entirely of people who can only enjoy themselves by making other people feel threatened and unsafe in as graphic and overdone a way as possible. Kind of makes me wonder why he still makes videos.

Might have to do with the fact that his style of commentary is a very negative and aggressive one. Might be similar to how Retsupurae had/has fans that do poo poo like sending death threats to people they've rp'd.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Genocyber posted:

Might have to do with the fact that his style of commentary is a very negative and aggressive one. Might be similar to how Retsupurae had/has fans that do poo poo like sending death threats to people they've rp'd.

I think it's just a normal thing for LP'ers or Reviewers with a large following. Retsupurae, Thatguywiththeglasses, Spoony, PDP, DSP, and so on, they've all had some fans do crazy poo poo on their behalf.

I don't know what's worse, that I think it's normal or that people actually send death threats...

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Definitely that you think it's normal. Most of the people I know of with largish internet followings tell their fans to cut that poo poo out when they start doing the school-of-piranhas thing; I know back when I used to watch his videos Spoony devoted at least one entire video to it.

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

"What is green, slimy, and smells like bacon?"

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I don't know what's worse, that I think it's normal or that people actually send death threats...
The common misperception that you can intimidate people over the internet will never, ever die. Even when we've hit a point where everybody with the least bit of common sense knows that people over the internet can't do poo poo, it still happens. It's a part of life at this point. Grass grows, the sun shines, and dipshits make hollow death threats over the internet.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

Dr. Buttass posted:

Definitely that you think it's normal. Most of the people I know of with largish internet followings tell their fans to cut that poo poo out when they start doing the school-of-piranhas thing; I know back when I used to watch his videos Spoony devoted at least one entire video to it.

I know Retsupurae kinda did this with BillyMC, when their fanbase was getting too crazy with the whole thing.

It's certainly not normal, and if you're really telling people to kill themselves over a video on the internet, maybe you should take a step back, and try to find why a video on the internet is affecting your life so much.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Could we please stop singling out Retsupurae? We're also one of the few people who've gone on record with telling people not to do this.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Lazyfire posted:

Anyone wondering what the thought process is for someone who decides to do YouTube for a job:

Its still a terrible idea but this guy seems to have way more thought put into the whole venture as well as more relevant background to do it. Like I said, still a bad idea but he at least has some realism and ability.

edit: Slowbeef what LP is your avatar from, I could never remember.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Stux posted:

edit: Slowbeef what LP is your avatar from, I could never remember.

The Immortal, if Google Image search is to be believed.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I think it's just a normal thing for LP'ers or Reviewers with a large following. Retsupurae, Thatguywiththeglasses, Spoony, PDP, DSP, and so on, they've all had some fans do crazy poo poo on their behalf.

You mean "normal that everything has insane fans", right? I agree, it's basically inevitable and a huge part of what makes any kind of fame at all awful at times. The behavior of the extreme/ridiculous/offensive/dangerous fans is far from normal though.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

slowbeef posted:

Could we please stop singling out Retsupurae? We're also one of the few people who've gone on record with telling people not to do this.

I was singling them/you out as someone who does do that, though! I'd think any reasonable person wouldn't want their fans doing such horrible things.

I'm trying to think of someone who would encourage such actions off the top of my head, at least on YouTube.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
With all this talk of bad fanbases I find it kind of ironic that the Two Best Friends Play recently had to shut down their mailbag send in show because too many people sent stuff in and they were running out of space. I'd say that's the complete opposite end of the spectrum but what do I know, maybe every online fanbase is awful.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I think they were really sick of people sending them weird bullshit swords, but they did in fact get the bad dragon dildo that they wished for

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
I don't know, Woolie talked about how he was running out of room to even store the boxes and how long the mailbags were running. I think in one they described starting at like 8 and it being midnight while they were still opening packages

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

muike posted:

I think they were really sick of people sending them weird bullshit swords, but they did in fact get the bad dragon dildo that they wished for

I don't think the swords were the issue so much as it was just the immense volume that kept coming in every week. They figured it would eventually taper down some but if anything it got worse. You could tell that it was getting really out of hand when they got two blu-ray collections of Gurren Lagann, which retails for about 600 dollars each.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Not enough space to store everything and probably wanting their fans to stop spending so much money on them as well. In one mailbag they got two separate blu-ray box sets of an anime that costed $500 each.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

I don't know, Woolie talked about how he was running out of room to even store the boxes and how long the mailbags were running. I think in one they described starting at like 8 and it being midnight while they were still opening packages

I'm still pretty shocked how much stuff they actually got, and they didn't even ask. They're just like, "If you wanna send stuff to us, here's the address, I guess!"

Yeah, you're gonna run out of room, eventually. Although the concept of buying a storage unit just to store fan stuff is pretty hilarious to me, and I kinda hoped that would happen.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Okay, so let's turn this into an actual discussion.
If I can argue that because the mailbag exploded that the Best Friends have a good fanbase what are they doing differently to get that better fanbase? Would a mailbag by PDP or Game Grumps blow up as much?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

If I can argue that because the mailbag exploded that the Best Friends have a good fanbase what are they doing differently to get that better fanbase? Would a mailbag by PDP or Game Grumps blow up as much?

Don't know if they still do it but Game Grumps used to accept and play games that fans sent in

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

The 2BFP guys have personalities that appeal to a wide variety of audiences. Without going into too much detail, Woolie is a pretty friendly guy thats well liked in the FGC and 4chan communities, and Matt/Pat are pretty well liked down in Neogaf. It also helps a lot that everyone barring Liam has had some experience in game design and development, with Matt and Woolie having done vast amounts of QA and promotional artwork for companies. Their vast experience with the industry combined with their generally likable demeanor really brings about an enjoyable LP that is both humorous and details interesting facts about the game that not many know. As you can also see in the mailbag, the LPs have a sort of therapeutic effect (for lack of a better term) that have helped a lot of people that are having rough times in their life. tl;dr, it just seems like they achieved the right dynamic of personalities to get a wild amount of fan swag.

As for GG, PDP and very tangentially Retsuprae, I'd imagine a mailbag for them would be just as popular but even more of a nightmare to manage. PDP alone has droves of fans, some of which at questionable levels of sanity, and trying to manage the amount of stuff he'd get would be overwhelming. Someone already mentioned that the Grumps get stuff already, but I've heard rumors that they also sell off some of the fan-stuff they get since they barely have enough room already. In the case of Retsuprae, we've seen what those fans can do to a YT channel so I'd imagine a mailbag for RP would involve some nightmare fuel-tier material.

Simply put: depending on the personality, fans are kinda scary.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Are we measuring the worth of the fanbase by their willingness to spend a lot of money on their favourite Let's Players? I began to wonder something similar about Giant Bomb's users sending in things for the mailbag; at what point are they being nice or good people, at what point are they trying to be noticed for sending in weird/expensive/whatever stuff, and at what point are they just offloading excess poo poo that they have?

A fun jab at the fans that the Best Friends do with the mailbags is in the intro, when Liam is holding a box, and he says, "I want to send something to the Best Friends. I want them to pay attention to me."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

edit: wrong thread

• Locked thread