Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

Oh man, I've been so anxious for Inverse to come out. I only recently 'got' Dungeon World and wanted to run it, and the kickstarter and extended buying were already over.

There's a lot of stuff where I've been so excited for my unrealistic imagination of something, and ended up a little let down by finished products. But this is exactly what I wanted. It really does scratch that 'fantastical, like classic old jRPGs' itch.

I may be being overenthusiastic, but I really love what I'm reading. I am super excited to get this rolling with my group, I think they'll dig it, cause most of them are bored to tears by 'traditional fantasy'. :dance:

Skyelan fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Apr 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Sade, Hugoon Chavez, The Supreme Court, Bucnasti, etc. posted:

:words:

I definitely understand the importance of communicating player's agency when it comes time to run the session.

I actually ran a small trial of character creation, since I learn better by doing and wanted one less mechanic thing to worry about when it came time for game day. I found myself playing armchair psychologist, with a lot of open questions like "Why is it like this?" and "How did that make you feel?" It seemed to work really well for the people making characters, they almost immediately groked the concept and ran with it. I also started the session with basically no expectations, and in doing so got a completely usable start for a gameworld, all player-shaped, and I'm actually very excited to help them flesh it out!

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. Hopefully I'll be posting a little recap here in a little bit!

zarathud
Feb 24, 2013

Hail Eris!
All Hail DISCORDIA!
For those interested, the Worlds in Peril Kickstarter just went live. It is a Superhero AW hack. Golden Age Hero is an early bird pledge level.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/63676387/worlds-in-peril

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

zarathud posted:

For those interested, the Worlds in Peril Kickstarter just went live. It is a Superhero AW hack. Golden Age Hero is an early bird pledge level.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/63676387/worlds-in-peril

There are some things that strike me as odd right off the bat, like the fact that you have to write your two mini-playbooks onto your character sheet...then the creator states that he wasn't able to fit all of the moves of the example characters onto the sheet. :what:

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Spincut posted:

There are some things that strike me as odd right off the bat, like the fact that you have to write your two mini-playbooks onto your character sheet...then the creator states that he wasn't able to fit all of the moves of the example characters onto the sheet. :what:

That's weird, yeah.

That said, the art is amazing, and the mini-playbook thing was something I was toying with for just the same kind of AW powered superhero game. I'll back it and see where it goes.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

That's weird, yeah.

That said, the art is amazing, and the mini-playbook thing was something I was toying with for just the same kind of AW powered superhero game. I'll back it and see where it goes.

I've had a look at an early version of the rules, and I like what they're doing with damage (descriptive negative conditions) and powers as descriptive tags that allow you to just do cool stuff, but have limitations.

The core moves are closer to dungeon world than I expected. Watching the playtest will give you a feel for it though.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
For some reason a bunch of people all asked me whether there was a mount that was just a big guy whose shoulders you mount.

So I wrote one.

Big Fella
He's a bit of a lug but he's your friend.
Size: Large, Control +2, 0 Passengers

Big Guy, Little Guy
You and the Big Fella are a team. The Big Fella counts as a Hireling with 5 skill picks, Loyalty equal to their Control rating and Cost: BFFs always.

Guardian
When you are knocked out or fatally wounded, Roll +Control. On a hit, the Big Fella keeps you and all your things safe while you are wounded. On a 10+, he will also carry you to a place of safety or healing, or else keep you alive somehow, and you don't need to take your Last Breath.

(He doesn't need the sentient tag because he's a hireling.)

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

madadric posted:

I've had a look at an early version of the rules, and I like what they're doing with damage (descriptive negative conditions) and powers as descriptive tags that allow you to just do cool stuff, but have limitations.

Can you say more about this or is it under wraps?

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Bigup DJ posted:

Can you say more about this or is it under wraps?

I found a link on Kyle's google+ page that had a test version of the game and character sheets and gave them a read to see if I could just stop work on my own superhero hack and play theirs, but I can't find it again now. Kyle is super approachable on G+ and happy to answer questions too, so questions about design decisions may be better directed at him.

My impressions are that for the most part, they do a great job of capturing the superhero comics vibe. the basic moves have some great stuff where they've broken away from DW, stuff like a move for specifically using debris and the environment in interesting way, a move for pushing your power beyond it's normal capabilities, and the way power tags interact directly with the fiction looks fun and easy to grasp.

Many of the classes have ways to build nemesis for the characters' too, which I liked.

Bonds are more active than in DW, going up and down during play, you can also have bonds with important NPCs and organisations. You can also burn bonds to get bonuses to rolls, at the cost of degrading your relationship with that person/organisation. They give the example of burning a point of your bond with your girlfriend, meaning the fight will make you late for a date or miss your anniversary dinner.

The main combat move runs very similar to DW, and I would have liked to perhaps see this mixed up a little more to express the larger scale and collateral damage super hero combats often have.

When players receive minor harm, they get cosmetic pain conditions, like bruises and scratches. Eventually, they will get conditions, which apply a -1 to actions that trigger that condition. Dislocated arm would give a -1 when you try to punch someone. Enemies can have advantages which are dynamic fictional modifiers. Players can remove these advantages by attacking their fictional source.

I think the system can emulate Avengers/JLA style games pretty well, with lots of action to be had. There are some interesting downtime mechanics too but I haven't had a chance to read them thoroughly.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Pledged :10bux: already, it does look pretty cool and, let's be honest, it's powered by the apocalypse, it's gonna be awesome.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

let's be honest, it's powered by the apocalypse, it's gonna be awesome.

That is a mindset that led to some of the worst purchases during the height of the d20 craze. Try not to repeat those mistakes.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Pledged :10bux: already, it does look pretty cool and, let's be honest, it's powered by the apocalypse, it's gonna be awesome.

Tremulus says otherwise.

Diskhotep
Jan 4, 2008

gnome7 posted:

Tremulus says otherwise.

I don't regret backing Tremulus, but I have yet to really give it a try. I liked the background story construction idea, but I've been hesitant to really dive into the game because the investigation rules just seem a little... weak. It feels like it tried to be a little bit of a lot of things, and they didn't all mesh properly.

I'd be interested in knowing other opinions on it, especially if someone has played it and can give me some more concrete ideas about what works and what doesn't. I just feel like either I'm missing something or it is.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Rulebook Heavily posted:

For some reason a bunch of people all asked me whether there was a mount that was just a big guy whose shoulders you mount.

So I wrote one.

Big Fella
He's a bit of a lug but he's your friend.
Size: Large, Control +2, 0 Passengers

Big Guy, Little Guy
You and the Big Fella are a team. The Big Fella counts as a Hireling with 5 skill picks, Loyalty equal to their Control rating and Cost: BFFs always.

Guardian
When you are knocked out or fatally wounded, Roll +Control. On a hit, the Big Fella keeps you and all your things safe while you are wounded. On a 10+, he will also carry you to a place of safety or healing, or else keep you alive somehow, and you don't need to take your Last Breath.

(He doesn't need the sentient tag because he's a hireling.)

No Who Runs Bartertown? move, therefore terrible. :colbert:

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

I am really wanting to use Mounted Combat in an upcoming game, because I have it and it is neat, but I am struggling to find a way to use it that feels organic. I can add the mount equipment options to all the playbooks listed, of course, but what sort of game or themes would actually use them and be cool?

I don't really want to stick everyone on a ship or spellsailor (although that is neat, just not what I am looking to do this time), but I don't want to do something that is all contrived like saying there is a joust where everyone brings their favorite ride. So, any ideas for neat ways to focus on mounts a little bit more in the campaign?

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
Reading through Mounted Combat, I got the idea to run a sort of... I dunno how to describe it, but like, motorcycle gang meets road story type campaign. Y'know, where the adventurers are a vagrant group that travels from place to place on their weird-rear end vehicles / animals, solving (and creating) problems.

I think the big thing would be to work with people having mounts tuned to different situations.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Evil Mastermind posted:

No Who Runs Bartertown? move, therefore terrible. :colbert:

The supplement has lots of stuff on writing your own moves, lazybones. :colbert:

Dagon posted:

I am really wanting to use Mounted Combat in an upcoming game, because I have it and it is neat, but I am struggling to find a way to use it that feels organic. I can add the mount equipment options to all the playbooks listed, of course, but what sort of game or themes would actually use them and be cool?

I don't really want to stick everyone on a ship or spellsailor (although that is neat, just not what I am looking to do this time), but I don't want to do something that is all contrived like saying there is a joust where everyone brings their favorite ride. So, any ideas for neat ways to focus on mounts a little bit more in the campaign?

Any kind of travelogue campaign is optimal, of course: mounts are means of getting from A to B. Another is to take advantage of the fact that most mounts are Large, and can therefore (as per the size chart) do a lot of heavy work. Other than that, just give people mounts and see what they do with them! They are additions to existing characters rather than something you need to define your campaign around, and any character can find a use for a neat mount. They're not meant to be something the game centers on or has to "be about".

You can also use the travelogue style campaign to show off lots of different mounts in succession, make them easy come easy go. Maybe a party needs to cross a desert, go beneath a lake and then go underground, so the group has to get mounts that help with all three terrain types; Camels, a large whale howdah, and then giant spiders. Mounts and vehicles can be as temporary or permanent as you like. Any story can do with a chase scene where a party has to fight off attackers riding wolves while stuck in a halfling war wagon, firing kitchen implements with the onboard catapult and generally wreaking havoc. Some of them are more or less mobile scenery, like the ship that has moves for swinging from the rigging just for being on board. These things don't define a campaign, but they give it color.

Basically, if you have an adventure that's about getting from somewhere to somewhere, add in a bit on the way and give everyone toys to play with.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Asymmetrikon posted:

Reading through Mounted Combat, I got the idea to run a sort of... I dunno how to describe it, but like, motorcycle gang meets road story type campaign. Y'know, where the adventurers are a vagrant group that travels from place to place on their weird-rear end vehicles / animals, solving (and creating) problems.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Any kind of travelogue campaign is optimal, of course: mounts are means of getting from A to B. Another is to take advantage of the fact that most mounts are Large, and can therefore (as per the size chart) do a lot of heavy work. Other than that, just give people mounts and see what they do with them! They are additions to existing characters rather than something you need to define your campaign around, and any character can find a use for a neat mount. They're not meant to be something the game centers on or has to "be about".

You can also use the travelogue style campaign to show off lots of different mounts in succession, make them easy come easy go. Maybe a party needs to cross a desert, go beneath a lake and then go underground, so the group has to get mounts that help with all three terrain types; Camels, a large whale howdah, and then giant spiders. Mounts and vehicles can be as temporary or permanent as you like. Any story can do with a chase scene where a party has to fight off attackers riding wolves while stuck in a halfling war wagon, firing kitchen implements with the onboard catapult and generally wreaking havoc. Some of them are more or less mobile scenery, like the ship that has moves for swinging from the rigging just for being on board. These things don't define a campaign, but they give it color.

Basically, if you have an adventure that's about getting from somewhere to somewhere, add in a bit on the way and give everyone toys to play with.

Thanks for reminding me of the terrible attempt of a Fantasy "Dakar Rally" pbp I tried when Dungeon World was new. Maybe I'll give something like that a go again. Start off with mounts from playbooks or whatever, then when they inevitably die from exhaustion or are inappropriate to the terrain, they get dumped for new, local rides. Plenty of opportunity for haggling with merchants or trying to round up a wild beast there too.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
Remember when I said:

Asymmetrikon posted:

I liked this idea so much I went ahead and made a PBP for it!

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
So I finished the first draft of the Moneybag playbook after months of not bothering with it - it's in pretty rough shape at the moment, so could I possibly get some feedback to improve the class?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Pro-tip : while you can run DW for a party of 8 and have fun it costs part of your soul. I swear I just lost ten pounds.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
It definitely handles big parties better than most systems, especially since it's much easier to split the party in DW, but yeah it's a long night as GM.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Xiahou Dun posted:

Pro-tip : while you can run DW for a party of 8 and have fun it costs part of your soul. I swear I just lost ten pounds.

At that point I'd conscript one of the other players as co-DM.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Diskhotep posted:

I don't regret backing Tremulus, but I have yet to really give it a try. I liked the background story construction idea, but I've been hesitant to really dive into the game because the investigation rules just seem a little... weak. It feels like it tried to be a little bit of a lot of things, and they didn't all mesh properly.

I'd be interested in knowing other opinions on it, especially if someone has played it and can give me some more concrete ideas about what works and what doesn't. I just feel like either I'm missing something or it is.

Haven't had a chance to play it, but from what I've seen of it versus other horror-themed PbtA games, I think it just...Doesn't do what it sets out to do as well as other PbtA horror-themed games do.

Also, I'm a bit annoyed that it's way behind on its Kickstarter bonuses, considering how much it exceeded its goals by, but then again almost every video game/tabletop RPG Kickstarter is these days to some extent. :suicide:

InfiniteJesters fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 12, 2014

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Trollhawke posted:

So I finished the first draft of the Moneybag playbook after months of not bothering with it - it's in pretty rough shape at the moment, so could I possibly get some feedback to improve the class?

I haven't had a lot of time to go over it, but my first impression is that "Shut your mouth and look at my wad" really ought to be named "Screw the Rules, I Have Money."

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I played my first DW session today after buying and studying the rulebooks two weeks ago. We're a neophyte D&D team who played 3.5e last year, and while we had fun combat was a complete slog and everyone was annoyed by the amount of number crunching and downtime from having to read up on stats.

We regrouped and played today (With a new member live over Skype) and oh my god does this game flow so well. With absolutely zero prep I took my last adventuring group with their characters from 3.5e, set the game a year in the future, asked them what they were doing with their time and then let everything take place. The Wizard spent his adventuring money on commissioning a painting of himself to put in the inn that our adventurers frequent. The Bard gave the Ranger a dare to try and put an arrow in the painting's eye from the door: She took the shot, the Wizard tried to intercept her arrow with a magic missile, failed and blew the side of the tavern open, exposing our Scoundrel (Using a modified version of Escortmission's Punk) who was having a romantic interlude outside during the alteraction.

Needless to say, the painting turned out to be an illusion: Instead, it was a glass-like surface that the Cleric shattered with his warhammer, opening up a portal to another dimension where a young version of the Wizard stepped out. Absolute chaos ensues, the portal goes evil, tendrils of insidious blackness start to draw people in, the present-day Wizard rides through the portal on a horse, and the past Wizard turns into a horrible monster that begins attacking everyone in a beserker rage. The Cleric throws blessed stones into a portal in an attempt to stop it, which in turn weakens the monster, and after a struggle the creature is captured.

During all of this our Druid is shapeshifting into cats and dogs, using his keen senses to Discern Reality, which includes determining which is the "Real" Bard after the monster begins to shapeshift into other characters.

The present-day Wizard rides out of the portal, carrying a gemstone of strange, arcane power which he uses to banish the bizzare Past version back to whatever horrible dimension it came from. The gemstone then shatters, spreading vast amounts of disturbing, unknown magic into the land, which will lead to all sorts of bizzare events down the line. The session ended with the group riding off to warn the nearest town about what happened.

All said, the event ran for about 3 - 4 hours, including going through the new character sheets and explaining abilities. I love how simple a combat encounter can be, taking turns in a conversation and explaining actions just feels so fun and natural compared to stopping to roll for every little thing. Couldn't be happier!

Spekhogger
Nov 13, 2013

Songbearer posted:

I played my first DW session today...

Cheers! Wish the group I'm going into would give DW a try instead of 4e, definitely sounds like it's an easy transition from what you say.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Yeah, I didn't get a chance to write about my first session, but I'm a new player myself and my group has been having a ton of fun with the game. Some of us did a one-shot a while back, and loved it enough for me to go and buy a bunch of additional content and run a campaign of it.

We went through The Heart of The Minotaur one page dungeon with a City Thief, an Artificer, and a Slayer (non-Grim World, if there's a difference). For backstory, the Thief decided to be a run-away princess who took to hiding and developed an underworld crime persona, the Artificer is searching for lost technology from a dead magitech civilization and inventing his own in an otherwise generic fantasy, dark age-ish world, and the Slayer is the last surviving member of his dessert village that was destroyed by a horrible dragon-like monster that is prophesied to destroy the world. The Slayer later died and rolled up a Medic who is seeking to atone for his Dragonborn clan's violent tendencies. Next session new player is coming in as a Princess (the actual playbook, not just a backstory one like the Thief).

Last session they left the dungeon to go rest and resupply at the city, and look for a way to bring the Slayer back to life, but instead, the Thief is on the run from the cops because she's suspected of kidnapping the princess, the Medic has to reavow his oath by rescuing the princess, who he also believes was kidnapped by the Thief, and the Artificer, my group's most quiet member, is just trying to keep their poo poo together and tinker with his toys.

The Thief is also searching for a magical cloak that is as strong as armor, and they might go rescue an apothecarymeth dealer for the Thieve's Guild. And this is all without touching on the various plot threads they've left loose that I'm thinking of into my fronts. I also just bought Mounted Combat and Inverse World, and am looking at how to incorporate some of that material into the game.

Edit: On the subject of Inverse World, is it intentional that all the enemies hp levels seem lower than their tags would indicate?

Shoombo fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 12, 2014

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
So a friend of mine introduced me to this system and I immediately fell madly in love with the idea. After reading this thread for a while and hopping around homebrew classes, I decided to give it a shot myself to get a better grasp on the system and also make something I'd want to play. Taking inspiration from Space Station 13, Looney Tunes, classical circus acts, Commedia del'Arte, and many other sources, it's...

quote:

The Clown

Health: 6+CON
Damage: d6

Name
Pierrot, Auguste, Red, Patch, Grock, Coco, Homey, Bozo, Emmett, Buster, Charlie, Chuckles, Doink, Binky, Pagliacci, Yorick, George, Pete

Look
White Makeup, Red Makeup, What Makeup?
Happy Clown, Sad Clown, Mad Clown
Baggy Clothes, Shabby Clothes, Bizarre Clothes

Alignment
Good: Bring laughter to those who need it most.
Neutral: Use humor to improve someone's opinion of you.
Chaotic: Complicate a plan by being deliberately incompetent.
Evil: Scare the everloving poo poo out of someone.

Background

Hobo Clown
You may be surly, down on your luck, a drunk, or just generally sketchy, but you've been toughened by your life on the fringes of clown society. Take +1 ongoing to Grin and Bear It rolls.

Village Idiot
You're not the brightest crayon in the box, but you've got the cunning to turn that into an advantage. Take +1 ongoing to all It's Just A Clown rolls.

The Entertainer
You're not just a clown, you're a clown that makes people normally afraid of clowns laugh at you. Take +1 ongoing to all Carouse rolls.

Bonds
I'll make ________ laugh, one of these days.
________ has a really weird sense of humor.
I bet ________ would make a good clown if they tried.
I can always count on ________ to help with a gag.
Why does ________ keep cringing around me?

Gear
Your load is 7+STR. You have dungeon rations (5 uses, 1 weight), a bike horn (0 weight), and a padded clown suit (1 armor, 1 weight).

Choose your melee weapon:
Overcharged joy buzzer (hand, touch, +1 damage, 0 weight)
Rubber chicken (hand, stun, infuriating, 0 weight)

Choose your ranged weapon:
5 Pies (thrown, stun, infuriating, 1 use, 0 weight)
5 Banana peels (thrown, stun, forceful, 1 use, 0 weight)
1 Party Bomb (thrown, 1 use, 1 weight)

Choose two:
Juggling pins (1 weight)
“Magic” scarves (0 weight)
Bag of party balloons (1 weight)
Extra-squeaky clown shoes (0 weight)

If using Mounted Combat rules, choose one:
Clown car
Itty bitty bicycle

Starting Moves

All the World Loves a Clown
When you throw a party and star as the entertainment,
you do not have to be returning victorious from an adventure to Carouse.

Food Fight
When you mark off a ration,
you may add one pie or banana peel to your inventory as you save some for a later joke.

It's Just A Clown
When you make an effort to seem bungling and harmless in combat,
roll+CHA. *On a 10+, enemies completely ignore you in favor of your allies until you act in a threatening, dangerous, or infuriating manner. *On a 7-9, enemies will attack you if given the chance, but will prioritize more threatening allies. *On a 6-, your incompetence is such an irresistable target that enemies will prioritize attacking you if they can!

Grin and Bear It
You've taken enough punishment over the years from your pratfalls (and your critics) that you can bounce back from nearly anything, given time. When you recover HP from any source, add +1d4 to the HP you recover.

quote:

New Items:

Infuriating tag: The weapon is especially annoying, painful, or humiliating to be attacked with, and its target will be far more inclined to attack its wielder after being struck with it.

Party Bomb – thrown, 50 gold, 1 use, 1 weight
This strange contraption is a metal sphere about three inches across, loaded with alchemical reagents and all the basic essentials for a festive occasion. It has two buttons, labeled “Party” and “PARTY HARD.” The first button, when pressed, activates a ten second timer before the ball explodes into a 10'x10'x10' set of garish decorations, folding chairs, and a table. These decorations give a +1 forward to Carouse, but dissolve into alchemically treated confetti two hours after creation, which may put a damper on the party if it's still going on. The second button activates a five second timer as the ball emits a series of bright strobe lights and noises, before violently exploding into a hail of confetti, glitter, and cacophanous music. Anyone within twenty feet of the explosion who doesn't shield their eyes and ears is temporarily blinded and deafened as they attempt to come to grips with the sudden change in ambient party levels.

New Mounts:

Clown car
A small metal vehicle painted in eye-wateringly bright, contrasting colors. What sort of maniac would drive this thing?
Small, Control +1, Vehicle, unlimited passengers (see below), +1 Armor

Circus Training (Pilot move)
Clowns can pilot clown cars as though they were the appropiate size.

Tight Squeeze
When anyone except a Clown enters the vehicle as a passenger,
roll+Control. *On a 10+, it's a snug fit, but they manage to get inside without any trouble. *On a 7-9, future Tight Squeeze rolls take -1 ongoing until all passengers exit the car. This penalty can stack. *On a 6-, something gives way that shouldn't. Mark one Stress, and passengers either must take 1d4 damage each or get outside help to leave the vehicle.

Bigger on the Inside
The clown car can hold far more than its size indicates. Despite being a Small mount, it has a Load of 15.

Itty bitty bicycle
A folding bicycle so improbably small that it could fit into a large pocket or small bag. It's a small miracle that it even supports your weight, let alone rides well.
Tiny, Control +1, Vehicle, 0 passengers, +0 armor

Circus Training (Pilot move)
Clowns can pilot itty bitty bicycles as though they were the appropriate size.

They See Me Rolling (Pilot move)
When you ride your itty bitty bicycle during a chase,
roll+Control. *On a 10+, your opponents are too busy laughing at you to pay attention to the pursuit, and take -2 ongoing until you dismount. *On a 7-9, your opponents take -1 ongoing until you dismount, but you mark one Stress due to the extreme strain the chase puts on your bicycle. *On a 6-, you hit a not so itty bitty road hazard and catapult off your bicycle, marking one Stress and taking 1d6 damage.

I'm still working on all the advanced moves, and have names/vague concepts for about 3/4ths of them. My general design philosophy is to make a social character with a lot of risk/reward both in and out of combat - if you do well, you can bamboozle your opponents (to give an idea, one of the advanced moves is "Candygram for Mongo!") or take advantage of them not taking you or your actions seriously ("Killer Klown", "All Part of the Show"), but if you do poorly, you'll fall flat on your face in a (usually) comedic manner.

Any critique or input on what I've got so far? :v:

(My pre-emptive response to anyone asking how a relatively modern day clown would fit into a DND party is "Because, that's how")

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Your backgrounds are a bit dull. Just getting +1 to a move is a bit unevocative.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Also, giving -anything ongoing to enemies does nothing unless they're PCs, since the GM doesn't roll die to make moves.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Daeren posted:

(My pre-emptive response to anyone asking how a relatively modern day clown would fit into a DND party is "Because, that's how")

Well, there is precedent.

Anyway, some actual comments:

• Mr Maltose is right, the mechanical part of the backgrounds are kind of crap.
  • I'm not really sold on only having ranged weapons that start with a finite number of uses instead of ammo. I know you'd get at least one more use a day, but it still feels weird and un-Dungeon World to me.
  • The basic moves don't really give you anything to actively do. Yeah, that's kind of the point of the class, but the only active ability they get only makes people not want to attack them.

But still, even with those complaints, this class has potential and I hope you keep working on it. After all, the Jester is the only Dragon Warrior 3 class you can't really make in Dungeon World and that's a drat shame.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012
I think it's a cool class, but the mechanics suck. That's fine though! You'll get better. Here's some advice on mechanics:

• You don't need to specify that you're taking +1 Ongoing or whatever to a roll, and it's assumed the bonus applies to all valid circumstances unless you specify an exception. So Village Idiot would say "Take +1 ongoing to all It's Just A Clown rolls."

• +1 and -1 are generally your last resort for mechanics, and if you're using them at all you always want some kind of condition on them - especially Ongoing bonuses. Ongoing bonuses to moves are typically unheard of - they're typically for very specific circumstances. Taking this into account, Village Idiot might look like this:

Village Idiot
    You're not the brightest crayon in the box, but you've got the cunning to turn that into an advantage. Take +1 Forward to It's Just A Clown when you demonstrate your incompetence.

• Purely fictional effects are generally your first resort, tied with effects which interact with your Class' mechanics in an interesting way. Here's a pretty much purely fictional move:

Fool
    When you speak truth to power, roll+Cha. On a 7+, pick 1. On a 10+, they won't get angry with you.

• They'll seriously consider the point you're making.
    • They'll be discredited in the eyes of their followers.

• Mechanics like ammunition are always abstracted, so your pies should probably look like this:
    • Banana Cream Pies (3-Ammo, Stun, Infuriating, 1 weight)

It might also be worth telling us what the infuriating tag does - then you could make moves which interact with it! For instance, you get bonuses to playing tricks on infuriated enemies, etc. This goes back to what I said about moves which interact with your Class' unique mechanics in an interesting way.

• Lastly, here's a quick rewrite of Grin and Bear it:

Grin and Bear It
    When you Defend yourself with pratfalls and mischief, roll with CHA instead of CON.

So someone hits you with a big hammer and you make a squeaky noise and collapse like rubber (Halve damage) and it flies back into their face (Deal damage to the attacker), stunning them (Open them up to an ally, providing +1 Forward). Or someone cuts off your hand but it turns out it was a fake hand (Halve damage) and it jumps up on their face and tweaks their nose (Deal damage, open them up) before scuttling off into the darkness.

I hope this helps! Any class has the potential to be cool if you do a good job of it.

EscortMission
Mar 4, 2009

Come with me
if you want to live.

NinjaDebugger posted:

I haven't had a lot of time to go over it, but my first impression is that "Shut your mouth and look at my wad" really ought to be named "Screw the Rules, I Have Money."

"Shut Up And Take My Money" also comes to mind.

Overall the class is something I'm interested in playtesting, but while its OK to have a couple joke names, there are a LOT of goofy names in this class. It would be interesting to see how it stacks up to the Merchant Prince.

EscortMission fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 13, 2014

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Hey, if I got away with fart jokes on The Elf...

Keep working at it Daeren, a full playbook can be a lot of work to get right but it's pretty fun.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Keep working at it Daeren, a full playbook can be a lot of work to get right but it's pretty fun.

Yeah, I kind of jumped into the deep end so I was expecting hearing "You're doing everything wrong" :v:

I'll keep tinkering on it with the advice I've been given, and I'll throw something more fixed/complete in when I can for another look-see. As for the Infuriating tag, I do actually say what it does in the new items segment.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Any idea why there seems to be a sudden surge of backlash against Dungeon World in other parts of TradGames? (To be fair, most of the complaints are rehashes of ones that were levelled against the game back when it first came out.)

Happier note: Inverse World scratches an itch I never knew I had for a Skies of Arcadia RPG and thus is on my to-buy list.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I can see it. Dungeon World is very fun to play, and to write for. It's kind of fun to GM. But it's also really exhausting to me. I can tell an epic story with the players as main characters in Fate. I can tell an exciting or silly story that revolves around a bunch of psychotic goofballs in Dungeon World. This may just be a failure with my style mixing with the system, I won't say it can't be done in the system, just that I can't do it. I would always choose Dungeon World if I want to guarantee a good time in a one-shot, but if I was going to do a long-term campaign I would probably use something else. It's fun, and its flavorful, and it's consistently exciting, but it isn't perfect for all scenarios.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I think its probably based on people's playstyles. I love Dungeons and Dragons 3.5, but the people I'm playing with gave it a fair shake and it didn't work out for their playstyles at all. They're the kind of group who don't want a rags to riches adventure: They want to get right in and have weird poo poo happening from the word go, and I'm more than happy to let it happen. Dungeon World is about as fast and loose as you can possibly get, and DMs who would rather have solid structure, encounters and dialouge with the players are going to have a really, really hard time because it's practically the polar opposite to how the game is meant to be played.

My group just wants to get together with a bunch of snacks, grab their character sheets, roll some dice and see how badly they can gently caress each other over. I love it, and Dungeon World makes it a cinch. My post-game writeups are no longer a story I written with the character's interactions madlibbed in: It's an exclusive story that they all wrote together just by playing the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

InfiniteJesters posted:

Any idea why there seems to be a sudden surge of backlash against Dungeon World in other parts of TradGames? (To be fair, most of the complaints are rehashes of ones that were levelled against the game back when it first came out.)

Happier note: Inverse World scratches an itch I never knew I had for a Skies of Arcadia RPG and thus is on my to-buy list.

While I haven't seen much backlash, I have noticed that everyone and their dice-loving-grandmother seems to have heard of it now. It wouldn't be too weird to get backlash as it gets more popular.