Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

air- posted:

Coachella's beer garden was actually pretty reasonable - post is mostly for dphi but might be useful for any other goons going to the festival. They had one section of the wall that included limited tappings and when I came by it was Curieux, Bitches Brew, and Old Numbskull (what). $10 for everything and the pour sizes ranged from 8 to 16 oz depending on the beer. One big down side is you can't take the beer out of the area.

Thanks, I'd like to try Curieux but I'm sure there will be something different next week. I'll be interested in seeing what other kegs they have throughout the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

LeafHouse posted:

Spacedogs or regular dogs?

Both, preferably.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

hallo spacedog posted:

Both, preferably.

Varga bar has outside seating and is awesome

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I have no clue how Coronado could win the best brewery award at the World Beer Cup. That is so random.

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

The Mellow Mushroom in my town has one of the best tap lists I've seen in a while. Check it out everyone:

I had De Struise Black Mocha, FFF Live a Rich Life, and BFM Abbaye de Saint Bon Chien. Might go back later and have KBS plus something else. Probably one of those weird Bells Bier de Garde beers. Any thoughts/suggestions?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Sublimer posted:

HOLY poo poo

WOW. That's a loving tap list.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Yeah I would be spending the night at my MM if they had a taplist like that.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

bartolimu posted:

It wouldn't matter what they did, the Ommegang house yeast is so assertively singular it would all taste the same anyhow. It's even more recognizable than Unibroue's and they try to do styles with it that aren't suited to its characteristics. The result is a lot of mediocre and obviously-Ommegang beer.

Then there's Glimmerglass and Gnomegang, both of which have different yeasts and are pretty good. I wish they do more without that house yeast.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I think Philadelphia has spoiled me because I looked at that tap list and immediately thought "no Cantillon, no hill farmstead"

Last night I went to a bar that had 4 different Cantillon bottles for reasonable prices and hill farmstead on tap among other awesome stuff. And I wasn't even going for that. It was just a happy coincidence.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 13, 2014

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm headed to LA later this month. If there were 2-3 places I definitely should check out, let me know. Atmosphere trumps strictly beer list, and decent grub and cocktails is helpful. TIA.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Sublimer posted:

The Mellow Mushroom in my town has one of the best tap lists I've seen in a while. Check it out everyone:

BG0YZzHME6FbBVkFI had De Struise Black Mocha, FFF Live a Rich Life, and BFM Abbaye de Saint Bon Chien. Might go back later and have KBS plus something else. Probably one of those weird Bells Bier de Garde beers. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Sublimer posted:

The Mellow Mushroom in my town has one of the best tap lists I've seen in a while. I had De Struise Black Mocha, FFF Live a Rich Life, and BFM Abbaye de Saint Bon Chien. Might go back later and have KBS plus something else. Probably one of those weird Bells Bier de Garde beers. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Pannepot owns a lot too.

Sorry for the awful double quote, blame the lovely phone app.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Also do the ET/CS collab, that sounds pretty good!

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I think Philadelphia has spoiled me because I looked at that tap list and immediately thought "no Cantillon, no hill farmstead"

Last night I went to a bar that had 4 different Cantillon bottles for reasonable prices and hill farmstead on tap among other awesome stuff. And I wasn't even going for that. It was just a happy coincidence.

And I, elsewhere in Philly, drank 3F Geuze, Supplication, and Consecration for cheaper than I've seen it in some stores, randomly as well. Best Beer City. :hfive:

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 13, 2014

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

ShaneB posted:

I'm headed to LA later this month. If there were 2-3 places I definitely should check out, let me know. Atmosphere trumps strictly beer list, and decent grub and cocktails is helpful. TIA.

Where in LA specifically? It's a pretty big place and not only does one have to drive everywhere but also one should take the traffic into account in hopefully choosing an area that can be achieved with minimal fuss

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'

Me in Reverse posted:

And I, elsewhere in Philly, drank 3F Geuze, Supplication, and Consecration for cheaper than I've seen it in some stores, randomly as well. Best Beer City. :hfive:

drat where are these places. I was at Monk's today and had some great beer,and they had supplication behind the bar but for $30 and I couldn't drop that today. The guy beside me bought a bottle of sucaba and heard me talking about it to my gf and grabbed a glass and poured me a taste. It was delicious and everything I expected. I'm gonna try to go to the tired hands release tomorrow. Hopefully getting there by 9:30 will be early enough.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

bartolimu posted:

It wouldn't matter what they did, the Ommegang house yeast is so assertively singular it would all taste the same anyhow. It's even more recognizable than Unibroue's and they try to do styles with it that aren't suited to its characteristics. The result is a lot of mediocre and obviously-Ommegang beer.

They also love to throw orange peel or star anise into a poo poo ton of their beers. I walk right past any Ommegang beer at this point with the exception of an occasional Hennepin or Three Philosophers.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

nosleep posted:

drat where are these places. I was at Monk's today and had some great beer,and they had supplication behind the bar but for $30 and I couldn't drop that today. The guy beside me bought a bottle of sucaba and heard me talking about it to my gf and grabbed a glass and poured me a taste. It was delicious and everything I expected. I'm gonna try to go to the tired hands release tomorrow. Hopefully getting there by 9:30 will be early enough.

Bainbridge Street Barrel House. Go there if you have time

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

HatfulOfHollow posted:

They have a pretty nice bottle list.

You should try the HORALs sometime if you've never had it, it's phenomenal. I did a side by side with 3F Oude Geuze and Cantillon Gueuze, and I preferred it to both.

About once a month I go to a pretty awesome tasting, I went to one last night where I got to try Utopias for the first time. I got to try a 2003, and a 2013, and they were both quite exceptional. They were completely different "beers", the 2013 reminded me of a cognac, where as the 2003 was very sherry like. I'm glad I got to try them, but I'd never pay the price it costs.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I think that it's a bit unfair to claim they have a Hill Farmstead beer when it's a 3 way collab, unless you meant something else. In all honesty the list looks mediocre, Horny Goat? That brewery couldn't brew a beer worth drinking if they tried and Old Forge is only worth buying if you want a cheap decent 6 pack.

Going to have to disagree with you. The tap list posted above is stellar while what I'm seeing at Bainbridge now is decidedly meh.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Midorka posted:

Going to have to disagree with you. The tap list posted above is stellar while what I'm seeing at Bainbridge now is decidedly meh.

I was specifically posting about the bottle list at Bainbridge. They have reasonably priced Cantillon Gueuze, Kriek, Rose de Gambrinus, Bruocsella, and Cuvee St Gilloise right now. Among other stuff.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

If any of you goons are going to be at the Tired Hands release, feel free to say hi. Glasses, beard, green shorts, green hoody, Dirtwolf t-shirt. EDIT: EXCEPT YOU ^^^^^^

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
If any one is at Tired Hands, I'm downstairs waiting for some friends, green shirt in the corner. Feel free to say hi. The Station IPA is nice and refreshing.

lazerwolf fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 13, 2014

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Finally cracked the Lagunitas Hop Stoopid. I swear whatever it was I didn't like in Iniquity is in this too, but it's not front and center. Kind of like a creamy IPA, oddly enough. Not terribleat all.

ExtremistCow
Oct 15, 2005

Tasting with several Ann Arbor goons and others. Mostly sours, since it seems that's what everybody's into. The standout for me was Grass Roots Arctic Saison, the Hill Farmstead collaboration with Anchorage. As much as I dislike Shaun Hill as a person, he knows how to manipulate water chemistry to fit any style. Biggest disappointment was The Livery's Maillot Jaune, a barrel-aged sour biere de garde. I've had it several times at the Michigan Beer Fest and loved it, but whatever they put in the bottle was not the same beer.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
I visited a friend in Houston this past weekend and finally had the opportunity to try some Jester King. I had both RU55 (Sour Red) and Boxer's Revenge (BA Wild Sour). I much preferred the RU55, but otherwise both were pretty solid.

I also found something like 15 bottles of Boulevard Saison Brett from 2012 just sitting on the shelf. That stuff was drinking really, really nicely.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Based on folks here talking about it, I tried My Blueberry Nightmare (Batch #2) over the weekend. Found a spot that had 3 of them and bought 2.

Opened it and the first whiff was just straight vinegar. First sip was eye-watering and I was regretting buying that 2nd bottle. loving huge vinegar notes with some blueberry sweetness, then a nice soft heat at the end. This is an intense beer. Warming up (and getting accustomed to the vinegar), the barrel started to come out a little and it really came together for me. Not an easy beer (have I mentioned the vinegar?), but a fun one. Took me around 3 hours to finish it, just taking sips now and then and savoring it. Smoked a cigar, ate a bowl of chili, and this tasted great with all of it. The finish is fantastic, the sweet and heat and the huge puckering vinegar sourness somehow all work together.

Reading some RateBeer/BA comments, a few people said the vinegar starts to fade over time? Any corroboration of this? Seems like if it's aceto, it'd just be making more vinegar? If that crazy vinegar gets more subdued, I could see this beer going from great to loving amazing, and I'd be heading back to see if that 3rd bottle is still available.

Also, reading rating comments for this beer is fun. Equal mixture of "loving disgusting" and "loving amazing." Also a lot of "bad bottle, drainpour" which I could totally see if you picked this beer up on a whim...they don't mention that it's sour anywhere on the label.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Retemnav posted:

My Blueberry Nightmare

I've had it on tap twice. The first time I thought it was very acetic but overall tasty (definitely interesting). The 2nd time I found it almost undrinkable. Since it was only a few months apart, I'd be surprised if they were different batches but my experience was two pretty distinct beers.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Furious Lobster posted:

Where in LA specifically? It's a pretty big place and not only does one have to drive everywhere but also one should take the traffic into account in hopefully choosing an area that can be achieved with minimal fuss

Centrally located around downtown-ish, but also am going to head west towards the beach one day.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

I just cracked the one I got in the last BIF. It was pure balsamic vinegar with some blueberry. My brother absolutely loved it and my friend added some to his falafel sandwich and said it was delicious. Unfortunately it was far from drinkable. I did save what was left to try as salad dressing later though.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Hah, I think I saw your comment on untappd when I was checking mine in. Definitely agree that it has a vinaigrette thing going on - a little oil and a salad with some feta and you'll be set.

Edit: I think some folks were talking about wanting the Foothills Sexual Chocolate teku on here? (It may have been BA and I'm confused). Anyway, Foothills just launched their storefront today: http://www.foothillsbrewing.com/shop/, and you can buy 'em on there. Or other Foothills swag.

Retemnav fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 14, 2014

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Huge heartburn inducing blueberry vinaigrette in the bottle I had. It would have been great if it weren't so vinegar. If they could cut the vinegar acidity back by half it would be fantastic.

Edit: I'm drinking a Half Acre Baume that I got in the BIF, I forget who sent this, but thanks man. I generally don't like rye beers or hoppy stouts, but I find this perfectly balances the rye characteristics with pine and chocolate. Well done.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 14, 2014

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Anyone on here from Cleveland? I'll be there this weekend along with CCB brewmaster Wayne for a collab with Great Lakes. Want a recommendation for some cool places :shobon:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Anyone on here from Cleveland? I'll be there this weekend along with CCB brewmaster Wayne for a collab with Great Lakes. Want a recommendation for some cool places :shobon:

For beer, or like life in general? There's a ton of great food and drinking to be had in Cleveland. I would suggest Barrio in Lakewood or Tremont for custom tacos, beer, and margaritas and Buckeye Beer Engine in Lakewood for strictly beer and decent vegetarian options (but not great atmosphere). If you want some nicer dining you could check out one of Michael Symon's places, especially the more reasonably priced Lolita. A top-secret bottle shop is this gas station near the border of Cleveland and Lakewood, which is honestly better than any of the other bottle shops in the city.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Why yes, yes I am.

In Ohio City (where GLBC is located), the best bars are probably Town Hall, Market Garden, and Nano Brew. Market Garden and Nano Brew are also both breweries, although neither of them make anything too exceptional. There's some really great restaurants in that area too. A Mexican restaurant called Momocho is my personal favorite, but there's also places like The Black Pig, and Flying Fig which have been named in the best 100 restaurants in Cleveland.

Two of my favorite bars in all of Cleveland are Tremont Tap House, and Buckeye Beer Engine, both of which are located only about 10-15 minutes from GLBC. There's some really good restaurants in the Tremont area too, and it's a pretty cool neighborhood in general. Michael Symon has a restaurant only a couple minutes away from Tremont Tap House called Lolita, which is super awesome and quite affordable.

The Rock N Roll Hall of Fame is kinda cool if you're into looking at Rock N Roll memorabilia. If you've never been, I'd recommend it. The Great Lakes Science Center next door to the Rock Hall is also pretty cool.

If you're into whiskey at all, the best whiskey bar in all of OH, Lizardville, is about 15-20 minutes from GLBC. It's actually where I work (although not the location closest to GLBC), and it's also rated the best beer store in all of OH. 170+ different whiskeys, and 800+ different craft beers, so if variety is your sort of thing, it's worth checking out.

Let me know if you'd like to meet up for a beer or something, not sure if you're going to be in town long enough. I'm actually from the Akron area if you plan on visiting Hoppin Frog or anything as well...

ShaneB posted:

A top-secret bottle shop is this gas station near the border of Cleveland and Lakewood, which is honestly better than any of the other bottle shops in the city.

I love buying Lambic from gas stations.

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 15, 2014

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

6 3L bottles of Beatification: "a lil over $3k and a case of de Garde bottles"

Beer traders are the worst.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

ShaneB posted:

Centrally located around downtown-ish, but also am going to head west towards the beach one day.

Downtown: I think that Spring St. Bar probably has the best rotating tap list but not really a good selection of food; there's also Far Bar which has decent food and a fairly large tap selection and Little Bear probably has the best selection of food + beer in the city itself. Just on the edges of downtown/silver lake are two very good beer spots:Mohawk Bend & Sunset Beer Co.; the former has a better menu but can lend itself towards overpriced vegan-esque options while the latter both sells bottles as well as lets customers open those inside the store and they have a small bar area with a good selection of taps.

When you're heading West towards the beach, the best option for food and good beer is Father's Office in Culver City but it gets crowded. Also depending on which beach you're going to, there are different options, Beachwood Brewing for example.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Welp. Spending the next three years stationed in Boston. I won't be living downtown, but I'll be working there. Any decent beers to look for? I was stationed here about 4 years ago, and the latest at the time was Pretty Things, which was ok...

The main thing I remember liking at the time was Troegs Nugget Nectar. However, my tastes may have changed since then, so we'll see. Still love IPA's, just depends on if I still like that IPA or not.

edit: Coming from Houston, TX. Before that, NC. Still pissed I won't be able to get Bell's.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Boston: Lord Hobo is an awesome bar. Night Shift makes good berliner weisses, at least from the ones I tried while there (Somer Weiss was really good).

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Trillium, Night Shift, Jack's Abby, Wormtown, Cambridge Brewing Company, etc. all have many beers worth trying.

Or go hog wild.

ps Cape Ann's Dead Eye DIPA is amazing and not well known at all. (I believe it is only on draft)

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Trillium is super hype.

Cambridge Brewing Company is just as good as it ever was.

You're much closer to getting stuff like Maine Brewing Lunch on a semi regular basis.

Wormtown in Worcester is making some really surprisingly good things these days too.

I love all things Night Shift (except rose and bee tea)

Mystic.