Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Well I had this problem all throughout 2013 and I'm still having it to this day, so I guess I'm just in a slump. I have all these ideas up in the old noggin, but I feel like EQing will be the death of them. I've tried tweaking monitoring positions and I feel like that helps for some issues but not for others. Hopefully I can get out of this hole someday.

Maybe I need more synths. But I just loving bought a Microbrute a few months ago. Although I'm still convinced I need a Rhythm Wolf when they come out. Perhaps having my first hardware drum machine will re-invigorate me.

You could, you know, always get someone else to do your mix for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sizone posted:

You could, you know, always get someone else to do your mix for you.
Yeah, but the only friend of mine who has a legit studio uses FL, and fuuuuuuuuuck that. Maybe he's got Ableton too though. I haven't used that in a while but I would if it means he could tweak my mixes and make 'em pop.

I use Reason primarily and have since I first started producing years ago, and no one else I know uses it. But I've got Ableton too and I mess around in there every so often.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Yeah, but the only friend of mine who has a legit studio uses FL, and fuuuuuuuuuck that. Maybe he's got Ableton too though. I haven't used that in a while but I would if it means he could tweak my mixes and make 'em pop.

I use Reason primarily and have since I first started producing years ago, and no one else I know uses it. But I've got Ableton too and I mess around in there every so often.

Nothing really preventing you from exporting each track as an individual audio file. Just 'cause you make your poo poo in reason doesn't mean it needs to stay in it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sizone posted:

Nothing really preventing you from exporting each track as an individual audio file. Just 'cause you make your poo poo in reason doesn't mean it needs to stay in it.
That's true. I sequence it all in Reason too, though, and have different effects in Reason getting enabled/disabled at different times for different tracks and such. I suppose I could export individual tracks, import 'em into a different DAW and find equivalent solutions in that DAW, but that would take a lot of time and may not turn out quite the way it did in Reason.

Unless all that info gets exported as well...

(I'm assuming it doesn't but I don't know because I've never tried it before)

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

That's true. I sequence it all in Reason too, though, and have different effects in Reason getting enabled/disabled at different times for different tracks and such. I suppose I could export individual tracks, import 'em into a different DAW and find equivalent solutions in that DAW, but that would take a lot of time and may not turn out quite the way it did in Reason.

Unless all that info gets exported as well...

(I'm assuming it doesn't but I don't know because I've never tried it before)

Brute force method would be to just solo the tracks one at a time and record them. But I'm pretty sure there's an elegant and relatively simple way to export audio tracks and retain the applied effects. "Importing" the resultant audio is just a matter of opening daw of your choice and dragging them all onto empty tracks. Doesn't even need to be done in a daw, really. You could, theoretically, find someone, or some studio, with a mixer.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Radiapathy posted:

Sample library controversy: A company called Binary Music just released a Kontakt library that's basically just the entire bank of original D-50 presets (for only $23!).
I was ready to blast this one because lots of this poo poo appears on eBay and it's usually some rear end in a top hat who bought a Fantom/Motif/Kronos, hooked it up to a lovely computer, installed SampleRobot or AutoSampler or whatever, and let it run for a week or so, but it appears that they actually did their homework and sampled stuff separately and dry the way it should be done.

quote:

Roland's copyrighted work

http://www.synthmania.com/sr-jv80-06.htm (to Roland's credit, this was outsourced and they pulled it after they noticed that AMG pulled a fast one)

While Persing is correct (I really would like to pick his brain about the way sound design was done back then, because I think I've reverse-engineered some tricks) someone actually did put work in building this library and didn't do it half-assed like the aforementioned SampleRobot poo poo. Roland should simply buy them out, build a self-contained plugin, and sell it for 5 times the price. Hey - it worked for Korg.

quote:

I'm half wanting to grab it, as the D-50 was one of my dream synths of the 80s
D50s are still relatively affordable. Get one. Just put it under your bed, that's what MIDI was invented for.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Sorry, this is already the next thread title:

No, this should be:

Perhaps having my first hardware drum machine will re-invigorate me.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Laserjet 4P posted:

D50s are still relatively affordable. Get one. Just put it under your bed, that's what MIDI was invented for.

I hella want one, but the only ones I've seen here have been ~$650. That's not affordable at all :(

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
You'd have to flail through a mile of ego to get within spitting distance of Eric's brain, Laserjet!

And, Rageaholic Against the Monkey Machine: yeah having a palette of sounds that's preselected to sit well with each other can help with EQ problems. Whether the Widdim Rolf will provide that - and suit your ears and taste - is yet to be seen. Another EQ tip is to use hardware mixers. It's far quicker to find the sweet spot when you've only got low, high and swept mid (plus a fixed low cut) rather than second-guessing the countless parameters, combinations and options in the software DAW world.

Definitely look into how to "stem" your tunes out of Reason. Mixing down pure audio stems is a boost as it means one has to focus solely on sculpting, positioning and gelling each part. Stops one reworking the skeleton, flesh and fashion of the track during the hair and makeup part of the process.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Laserjet 4P posted:

I was ready to blast this one because lots of this poo poo appears on eBay and it's usually some rear end in a top hat who bought a Fantom/Motif/Kronos, hooked it up to a lovely computer, installed SampleRobot or AutoSampler or whatever, and let it run for a week or so, but it appears that they actually did their homework and sampled stuff separately and dry the way it should be done.
Yeah, I bought it. It really is well recorded, and I like how they implemented the effects. They even have it so the layers are adjustable. It would be nice if they did what some other libraries do and calibrate the envelope sliders to the middle, so you can both increase AND decrease the attack like you would on the actual synth. I know it's different with samples, but UVI and Heavyocity seem to have figured it out.

Anyway, yeah. I can hear why people say it was better than the D-110.

Facebook blows, but I just discovered some buried comments where Persing was answering peoples' questions about the matter. He says that the PCMs used on the D-50 were his as well, and that Roland still actually licenses their old sounds to companies willing to play along. Interesting stuff.

Laserjet 4P posted:

But that's where my SY85 is. (Really.) I don't even have rack space for a 550.

Laserjet 4P posted:

No, this should be:
lol

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Apr 11, 2014

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Radiapathy posted:

Facebook blows, but I just discovered some buried comments where Persing was answering peoples' questions about the matter. He says that the PCMs used on the D-50 were his as well

Then he had the right lawyers because that's a pretty sweet deal.

quote:

But that's where my SY85 is. (Really.) I don't even have rack space for a 550.

I also have one of these Yamaha monsters of yesterday but the SY is at least more capable than my W5. Unlike your SY85 I can't probably even give my W5 away :(

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ynohtna posted:

You'd have to flail through a mile of ego to get within spitting distance of Eric's brain, Laserjet!

And, Rageaholic Against the Monkey Machine: yeah having a palette of sounds that's preselected to sit well with each other can help with EQ problems. Whether the Widdim Rolf will provide that - and suit your ears and taste - is yet to be seen. Another EQ tip is to use hardware mixers. It's far quicker to find the sweet spot when you've only got low, high and swept mid (plus a fixed low cut) rather than second-guessing the countless parameters, combinations and options in the software DAW world.

Definitely look into how to "stem" your tunes out of Reason. Mixing down pure audio stems is a boost as it means one has to focus solely on sculpting, positioning and gelling each part. Stops one reworking the skeleton, flesh and fashion of the track during the hair and makeup part of the process.
Yeah those are good ideas for sure. Thanks :D What kind of hardware mixer would you suggest that would sync up with a DAW? Or do those not do that?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Yeah those are good ideas for sure. Thanks :D What kind of hardware mixer would you suggest that would sync up with a DAW? Or do those not do that?

That's not really what they do. How you accomplish track sync, via brute force, is this: When you're sequencing, insert an empty first measure for every track, then put one one note on the first beat of that measure, again, for every track. Then you just have to make that first hit line up once you've recorded, solo, every track.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

ynohtna posted:

Currently I just put a Satson on every channel for gainstaging and do a rough mix and upload the stems to my vocalist who does the final mix and mastering. I have an older project where I tried to mix it while composing and it is a loving mess, definetly gonna strip out a few million EQs and mix from stems if I'm gonna resurrect it someday.

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young

Have you considered rewiring Reason into Live? I used to do that all the time when I primarily used Reason

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

This just in, re: LA-50

quote:

Following comments from the original sound designer of the D-50, we have withdrawn the LA-50 from sale until such time that hopefully, we can release it in a way that everyone would be happy with. Thanks for your understanding.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
And now it's Page Not Found on Synthtopia but hey I've got 2 .rar files here with the D-50 library so welp.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.

Laserjet 4P posted:

What interests me is the uncanny valley of synth sounds

^--This post, as well as all the talk of wedding band keyboards, reminds me of Oneohtrix Point Never's most recent record: R Plus Seven. It uses cheesy digital emulations of real instruments, computer singing and a bit of audio cut and paste to create a musical uncanny valley. The sound he pulls off is mesmerizing, and it's become one of my favorite albums.

For your consideration: http://vimeo.com/82021800

In true gearslut fashion, that album inspired me(lol) to buy the Korg M1 vst. Lots of fun to be had there. It's actually very fun to design patches for.

renderful fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 11, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SineRider posted:

Have you considered rewiring Reason into Live? I used to do that all the time when I primarily used Reason
Never tried that, but it's a good idea. Thanks :)

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.

renderful posted:

^--This post, as well as all the talk of wedding band keyboards, reminds me of Oneohtrix Point Never's most recent record: R Plus Seven. It uses cheesy digital emulations of real instruments, computer singing and a bit of audio cut and paste to create a musical uncanny valley. The sound he pulls off is mesmerizing, and it's become one of my favorite albums.

For your consideration: http://vimeo.com/82021800

In true gearslut fashion, that album inspired me(lol) to buy the Korg M1 vst. Lots of fun to be had there. It's actually very fun to design patches for.
I couldn't stop listening to this album last month. Still Life from 2:40 is stunning. Absolutely incredible what he's done with relatively conventional sounds. It only encourages my frustrating need/want/desire to put all my lovely 90s sound modules to some kind of constructive use.

Yay, new (sorta) Aphex Twin!

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The Sega Genesis/Megadrive and requisite FM SYNTH chipset will, nay, MUST never die in the hands of crazy and wonderful people. Courtesy of the Watermelon Team for their upcoming Project Y Genesis game(Yes, you read that right, creating games that by all rights should not exist on long defunct hardware is Watermelon's entire schtick for the most part alongside the few other groups in the world that are their fellow travelers) that is intended to be an homage to the work of Yuzo Koshiro/Motohiro Kawashima on the Streets of Rage series and others:

https://soundcloud.com/tulioadriano/project-y-sampler2-by

Only a small sampling of what is to come, but they've clearly got this thing going in a fine direction.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I have a question for those of you who actually still make music: Do you have problems getting sounds that gel well from different devices?

I've had issues recently where I'll go to add another synth patch to something I'm working on and have a lot of trouble getting it to mesh well with what's already there. This is probably compounded because I'm working with software, where everything has built in effects put onto the patches. Anyway, how do you guys deal with this?

e: The first answer will likely be "make your own patches." I know. I usually do. But I still have this come up.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

BKPR posted:

e: The first answer will likely be "make your own patches." I know. I usually do. But I still have this come up.

The second answer is, as always, buy more gear.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

BKPR posted:

I have a question for those of you who actually still make music: Do you have problems getting sounds that gel well from different devices?

I've had issues recently where I'll go to add another synth patch to something I'm working on and have a lot of trouble getting it to mesh well with what's already there. This is probably compounded because I'm working with software, where everything has built in effects put onto the patches. Anyway, how do you guys deal with this?

Always; when I started using VSTs it was the same thing until I decided to only use one VST to write a series of songs; seven with Albino, then I moved on to Massive, then Atmosphere, and finally settled on FM8 which is more or less perfect for me. I've also gotten into the habit of turning off all the in-VST effects and using the ones in Renoise instead.

I can't speak much for hardware but I find myself working in the same way; when I write something I only use one device. I'll probably bend the rules a bit if I get a sampler, but even then I like picking up a box, sitting wherever I want with a pair of headphones, and hammer something out.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 13, 2014

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

BKPR posted:

I use Halion Sonic and Nexus a lot, which are basically software ROMplers. Their presets mostly sound fantastic on their own, but if I drop them into a mix as-is everything turns to mush. If I find a patch I like, I either turn the synth effects off or back them off a lot. And then surgical EQ to make sure I'm only getting what I need.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

BKPR posted:

I have a question for those of you who actually still make music

:drat:

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

BKPR posted:

Think about the frequency range you're trying to occupy with said synth and modify/design the patch accordingly. Use a spectrum analyzer if you need to visualize. Keep this in mind as you're adding elements.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
When cult/horror movie director John Carpenter was asked why he made such great and timeless synth-heavy soundtracks throughout the 70's and 80's, he basically said it was because he couldn't afford to hire a orchestra. Using just his basic musical background and a few synthesizers, he could synthesize a full score complete with brass-like horns, string-like strings, and all sorts of realistic synthesized sounds... without having to hire anyone.

Always thought that was kinda interesting, how it was done more out of desperation.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

renderful posted:

Think about the frequency range you're trying to occupy with said synth and modify/design the patch accordingly. Use a spectrum analyzer if you need to visualize. Keep this in mind as you're adding elements.

I think this is the key thing to look out for, not only when creating a patch, but also when playing your patches. When designing a sound you often just hear it alone and thus add more and more things to make it interesting on its own. When you play three of those sounds together later on, they will probably clash. Also it helps to spread your notes over several octaves. For example: Bass plays on the lowest octave, pads one octave higher, leads another one higher.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

The Cleaner posted:

Always thought that was kinda interesting, how it was done more out of desperation.

shitloads of things were done out of desperation

it's just that nowadays they take the form of buying 20 multiband comps and putting them all on the master so you hope it's going to be a hit

BKPR posted:

I have a question for those of you who actually still make music:

:argh:

renderful posted:

FabFilter stuff is pretty sweet for this btw, also read http://www.dnbscene.com/article/88-thinking-inside-the-box-a-complete-eq-tutorial if you haven't done so yet.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
The core technique of good cookingsonic compositing: taste, add, taste. Work the ingredients in context, not in isolation. If it doesn't fit, throw it out.

Longhouse
Nov 8, 2010

Chill out, dog
Look at this classy gentleman right here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWd1J41KNXU

:allears:

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Just rediscovered some great synthy stuff on Rephlex that sounds oddly similar to AFX's Analord series, but I fully welcome it:

http://www.rephlex.com/releases/view/129/Jodey%20Kendrick/Plus%20Ten/CAT%20203-A

renderful fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 14, 2014

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

So, how are you guys integrating the Roland AIRAs into your rigs? USB sounds like it's the way to go for full functionality- especially for the TR-8, but anyone who already uses an audio interfacee is going to have to get creative to use the TR-8 effectively, at least on Windows.

Anyone have all 3 of the available AIRAs working together yet? How are you routing your MIDI/audio/USB, etc?

Is the TR-8 truly locked to 32-bit/96kHz? (Yet another complication for people with other gear.)

EDIT: Also, have you started investigating Scatter mods for all your vintage boards yet?

EDIT 2: Woah, is this seriously the only manual for the TR-8? Tell me the installer gives you something more than a quick start poster.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 14, 2014

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I'm not sure requesting more words from Roland "'Default' means the value automatically selected by the Composer overriden by your command" Corporation has ever truly resulted in actual end-user benefit.

Edit: Jodey Kendrick rules, renderful, but is the Rephlex site redirecting to their label page on discogs for everyone or just me? And my current synth intake is being fueled, not for the first time, by 80s Stallone.

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 14, 2014

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

I'm imagining a device which takes standard USB audio and has ~8 discrete audio outputs, as well as handling of USB MIDI(similar to the iConnectMIDI) with physical MIDI ports. It seems like it might sell/be useful to many, although maybe it will just lead to more hardware companies not giving real individual outs and instead relying on USB, as is the current trend.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Radiapathy posted:

So, how are you guys integrating the Roland AIRAs into your rigs? USB sounds like it's the way to go for full functionality- especially for the TR-8, but anyone who already uses an audio interfacee is going to have to get creative to use the TR-8 effectively, at least on Windows.

Anyone have all 3 of the available AIRAs working together yet? How are you routing your MIDI/audio/USB, etc?

Is the TR-8 truly locked to 32-bit/96kHz? (Yet another complication for people with other gear.)

EDIT: Also, have you started investigating Scatter mods for all your vintage boards yet?

EDIT 2: Woah, is this seriously the only manual for the TR-8? Tell me the installer gives you something more than a quick start poster.

Honestly, I just use the stereo outs on my TR8/TB3 into my audio interface. The way I see it, the TR8 has a bunch of faders so gently caress, I'm gonna use 'em (I really like submixes). I imagine I might use the USB outs if I were producing _tracks_ with it, but I have all the 808/909/etc. samples I need on my desktop computer and that was never the intent when I bought the TR8 anyway.

In my Ableton rig, which I basically just refer to as 'deck five' routed into my DJ gear, the TR8 is actually the MIDI clock master - because I've had mixed experiences with using Live as a sequencer/master clock for anything (something I find really ironic). I have a MIDI splitter which so far is just sending the TR8's output to the TB3, KP3, and Live. Start/stop on the TR8 rolls transport in Live, starts the TB3 playing and sends clock to the KP3 to sync effects. Naturally, the TB3 is muted until I want it up, and I have the KP3 on a pre-fader return with sends from the TR8 and TB3 - this way I can have fun slowly bringing the TB3 into the mix with the KP3's TalkFilter effect (my favourite). Ableton has some stock drum loops - Amen, Think etc., that I should probably trim down to the bare essentials. I had to incur some negative delay compenation in Live to get the loops triggering properly, and they're all in 'Repitch' mode. This probably saves some CPU, but it also makes things really fun when winding down the tempo on the TR8. As far as mixing goes, I'm sending the TR8, TB3 and an open channel for my roommate's looper or some other piece of expensive robot-fart gear to one channel on my DJM900, and the loops to another. It's really really fun to get someone in who knows what they're doing, and jam with them over top of a DJ set.

As I've only really used the TR8's master outs, I cannot comment on whether it is 'locked' to that sampling rate/bit depth. Yes, that is the actual manual. Either I haven't figured it out yet, or Scatter is useless.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Buy me an AIRA TB-3

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Hear you go, son.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Live Windowlicker cover.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9GfEAaQUR4

Tinfoil over the speaker for distortion is awesome.

Startyde posted:

[...]hail Satan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Awesome Art + Music + Technology podcast where they interview people like Randy Jones(Madrona Labs), Matthew Davidson(Stretta), Julien Bayle(Max), Olivier Gillet(Mutable Instruments) and many others

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/art-+-music-+-technology/id736102938?mt=2