Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Ferrinus posted:

How "solved" would you say combat tactics are? What tends to determine the winner of a fight? If it's not build, does it come more down to luck or down to rock-paper-scissor style opponent-reading and fakeouts?

How critical is focus fire? If three people fight three people, is it better for them to pair off or to should each team ignore two members of the other team?

If you want to win a fight in 3E you should be attempting to out think your opponent. You can't steamroll them with charms until you win, but it's a little more complicated then rock-paper-scissors level 'I hit you when an A, which defeats a B but loses by a C'.

Both have their advantages. You can pick on a single target and overwhelm them but it might be more beneficial to attack one of them then attack the other. Which is far more cinematic when you look at TV shows and Action movies and stuff. When James Bond fights two guys he doesn't ignore one and punch one to death, he fights them both at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Stallion Cabana posted:

Both have their advantages. You can pick on a single target and overwhelm them but it might be more beneficial to attack one of them then attack the other. Which is far more cinematic when you look at TV shows and Action movies and stuff. When James Bond fights two guys he doesn't ignore one and punch one to death, he fights them both at the same time.

This is probably my biggest concern about E3's combat, not in the sense that it's something Exalted is likely to do uniquely wrong but because it's a problem that's almost universal in RPG combat systems in general and Exalted seems like an amazing opportunity to finally solve it. In most games, there's absolutely nothing better than taking an opponent out of the fight completely, so unless you have access to an AoE or something it's just plain stupid to divide attacks (whether your own attacks, or your party's attacks) up among your various enemies as opposed to focusing them all on one enemy. If there's some aspect of 3rd edition's combat system that punishes you for ignoring an enemy or rewards you for engaging an enemy even at the cost of focusing on another enemy, I'll be really pleased.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Ferrinus posted:

This is probably my biggest concern about E3's combat, not in the sense that it's something Exalted is likely to do uniquely wrong but because it's a problem that's almost universal in RPG combat systems in general and Exalted seems like an amazing opportunity to finally solve it. In most games, there's absolutely nothing better than taking an opponent out of the fight completely, so unless you have access to an AoE or something it's just plain stupid to divide attacks (whether your own attacks, or your party's attacks) up among your various enemies as opposed to focusing them all on one enemy. If there's some aspect of 3rd edition's combat system that punishes you for ignoring an enemy or rewards you for engaging an enemy even at the cost of focusing on another enemy, I'll be really pleased.

The way momentum works means you don't want to leave anyone completely unattended.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Awesome, that's just what I was hoping. I'm hella excited to see the kind of stuff you can do with advantage/momentum/whatever it's called, it's pretty much virgin territory in tabletop combat systems (someone correct me if I'm wrong here)("your hitpoints represent your fighting spirit!" does NOT count) and could make for some really interesting gameplay incentives.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Argas posted:

The way momentum works means you don't want to leave anyone completely unattended.

Sounds awesome. Are extras still a thing? Can they benefit from momentum?

Thank you again for all of the play testers answering some of our questions. To you too Stephenis. You have been a great addition to the on going discussion.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Ferrinus posted:

Awesome, that's just what I was hoping. I'm hella excited to see the kind of stuff you can do with advantage/momentum/whatever it's called, it's pretty much virgin territory in tabletop combat systems (someone correct me if I'm wrong here)("your hitpoints represent your fighting spirit!" does NOT count) and could make for some really interesting gameplay incentives.

Anima Prime's whole thing is doing maneuvers to build up strike and charge dice that you spend to make rolls that actually achieve things. What's wrapped around that mechanic isn't exactly a rigorous tactical game though.

Mengtzu
Jun 29, 2012

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Thank you again for all of the play testers answering some of our questions.

I'm looking forward to discussing it more; the core of the Ex3 combat system is really special and cool.

But apart from NDA issues, I don't feel like I have the system mastery to discuss it yet without being misleading (for example: take a look at the gap between the Exalted Combat 201 and how 2E actually played). I wouldn't agree with *everything* other playtesters and the devs have said, but I also wouldn't be able to explain why without shredding my NDA and getting kicked out of the program, and in a rare turn of events I don't even know that I'm right :p

I will say this though, as it's public knowledge: Ox Body Technique really is awesome. My Dawn had 5 of them at character creation and it was a superb investment. She is an amazing tank.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

For those who'd like to know, John had good news and bad news from the Doctor.

quote:

Now that I have plenty of alcohol in me, I feel okay in reporting that the doctor gave me both good and bad news. Good: he likes how much the swelling has gone down, and maybe my recent symptoms are just signs of a returning infection, so he's gonna put me on antibiotics. Bad: If I am still feeling pressure in my neck and jaw after the antibiotics, I get another biopsy or a surgery to pull the lymph node out.

Here's hoping that the antibiotics work and that a biopsy or surgery will not be needed, and that he'll feel better soon.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Huh, didn't John's last report about his health issues have some kind of fatalistic "well nothing more to be done" feel to them? That's good news, I guess.

Mengtzu posted:

I'm looking forward to discussing it more; the core of the Ex3 combat system is really special and cool.

But apart from NDA issues, I don't feel like I have the system mastery to discuss it yet without being misleading (for example: take a look at the gap between the Exalted Combat 201 and how 2E actually played). I wouldn't agree with *everything* other playtesters and the devs have said, but I also wouldn't be able to explain why without shredding my NDA and getting kicked out of the program, and in a rare turn of events I don't even know that I'm right :p

I will say this though, as it's public knowledge: Ox Body Technique really is awesome. My Dawn had 5 of them at character creation and it was a superb investment. She is an amazing tank.

What's some other stuff the 3E combat system has allowed you to do that would've either been unheard of in past editions or was hypothetically possible in past editions but practically speaking a newbie trap?

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 13, 2014

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Playtesters may want to cool it with the public speech at this point.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Man, if that public speech is a little too much for your NDA you guys are loving paranoid. A lot of us backed the system and "Ox Body Technique makes you a good tank" isn't exactly blowing anyone's minds here as spoilers go.

Edit: I mean, not to suggest I haven't appreciated your contributions to the thread as you've made them, but your role here as thread hall monitor doesn't seem particularly fulfilling for anybody, and if the above discourse about the playtest is treading on your NDA it must be incredibly broad.

Adept Nightingale fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 13, 2014

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012
Crossposting this from the Apocalypse World thread:

I wrote this guide to using Intimacies for my Exalted hack. For context, I've included some info on Intimacy grades:

For MCs - How to Use Intimacies posted:

Preliminary Bits
Intimacies fall into one of two categories - Ties and Principles. Ties describe how your character feels about a certain thing. Principles are the creeds, ideals, and personal characteristics that define your character.

Intimacies are also categorised according to their intensity - naturally, an Intimacy of love towards chocolate wouldn’t be as significant as an Intimacy of love towards your newborn son. The grades are defined as follows:

Minor: If someone asked how you felt about the subject of a Minor Tie, you’d be able to tell them without much thought. Minor Principles are basically quirks.
Major: The moment you know how you feel about something, the moment it becomes a real and continual influence on your life, you’ve formed a Major Tie. Major Principles are very similar - they’re a matter of knowing who you are and what you believe.
Core: When you would give your life, burn all your bridges, do anything in the name of your feelings, it’s a Core Tie. When it’s an inviolable part of who you are, it’s a Core Principle.

How to Use Intimacies
Beyond telling the table what a PC cares about, Intimacies are the PCs' way of telling the MC what they want to see in the game. If Eightfold Tempest has an Intimacy of disdain for stupidity, she will encounter stupidity at some point, and she will be given the opportunity to express her disdain for it.

The more potent her disdain for stupidity, the more often she’ll encounter it, and the more likely it is to be causing some significant problem. In cases like that, she’ll be given the opportunity to right the wrongs it’s caused, too.

But remember - Defy Expectation, Maintain Ambiguity! Present characters who will fein stupidity in order to distract her from bigger issues. Present characters who she may deride as stupid, but who are in fact honest people who made some honest mistakes. Force her to question the assumptions at the heart of her Intimacies! Why is she treating people like this and what effect is it having on them?

Beyond this, putting Intimacies at odds with each other is a foolproof means of generating drama. On a purely personal level, you’ve got two ways of doing this:

Internal Conflict: Put a single character’s Intimacies at odds with each other. Eightfold Tempest loves bringing justice to criminals, but how would she react if she discovered her lover was at the head of a vast crime syndicate?

Interpersonal Conflict: Put multiple character’s Intimacies at odds with each other. Eightfold Tempest is best friends with World-Striding Emperor of Heaven. Tempest has reviled the Guild since they sold her family into slavery - she also hates it when people keep things from her. The Emperor’s lover is doing deals with the Guild in order to protect the food supply of her village. The Emperor, despite his reservations over dealing with the Guild, understands her position and has resolved to keep the deal a secret from Tempest. The Guild’s deals are predatory and exploitative, but they’re keeping thousands of people from going hungry. What to do?

The Intimacies at the core of the conflict should be of an equal grade - Intimacies of a lesser grade are there to intensify and complicate that core conflict.

The best conflicts are a careful balance of internal and interpersonal conflict. If you can maintain a vast web of conflict and ambiguity without someone’s Intimacies coming together and clearly resolving the conflict either way, you’ve done an exceptional job!

When you want to introduce more complexity into your conflicts, consider the following techniques:

Alliances of Necessity: Unite people with conflicting Intimacies in pursuit of a higher goal - this is also a way of explaining why people who don’t like each other would spend time together. It may be in the long-term interests of a character to do a few favours for an organisation they revile.

→ In addition to this, uniting characters with low-level tensions is a great way of generating fun drama. ie. Conflict in their Surface Intimacies and perhaps a Major Intimacy or two. See buddy cop movies for perfectly tuned examples of this.

“We’re not so different, you and I.”: Where Alliances of Necessity presents unsympathetic allies, this technique presents sympathetic foes - foes who may have the same goals as the PCs but who use different means to achieve them, foes who may take the PCs’ beliefs to unreasonable extremes, foes who are working for the same side.

→ As with Alliances of Necessity, low level tension which prevents cooperation is a great way of establishing rivalries. In cases like that, the core of their conflict occurs in their Major Intimacies - a particularly unsympathetic member of the rival group might introduce conflict in their Core Intimacies. Beyond this, rivals might also have similar Surface Intimacies - for instance, a PC might share a passion for foreign literature with their counterpart.

I'd really appreciate some feedback! It's an early draft so be as cruel as you like.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

I'm actually really excited about Evocations as an idea.

I mean, you don't have to look far from this thread to find people complaining about how lacking Solars are, thematically. And their charms are similarly lacking. Pick Melee charms to Melee better! Pick Presence charms to Presence better!

Say what you will about their mechanics, but Lunar, DB, Alchemical, and Infernal charms did NOT lack interesting thematics.

If Evocations pan out as being mechanically sound, it means that I can build a five melee masters and get hugely different gameplay out of them based on whether they have unlocked the hidden secrets of the Spear of Wind and Flame, Claw Axe of Jagged Earth, Hammer of Seven Thunders, or the Daiklave of the Six-Fingered Man.

Likewise, the all x-type Immaculates look alike problem is solved if they suddenly mix and match their elemental martial arts with strange and exotic artifact powers.

Nevermind what this could mean for having fun out-of-combat tricks. I want to use lava sword to melt a tunnel into the local Dynastic palace from the sewers.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
I was initially skeptical about one daiklave having so many Evocations, but it means that potentially, you have mastery of one historic weapon allowing an equal level of investment as someone who invests in one or potentially two kung-fu styles.

I also like the grouping of Evocations into tiers, as it makes it easier to create a custom daiklave by choosing some thematic evocations from each tier, assuming the internal balance within a tier is good.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I don't know about evocations or anything, but it sounds like it will end up just being even more XP a combat based character can spend on combat instead of branching out. In my experience the big draw of artifacts was actually to the non combat characters - giving them a bow that let's them shoot well enough to be competent was way better than forcing them to spend XP to keep up with the dawn who maxed out melee, and took all his charms in combat charms.

Giving an even bigger xp sink to make an even larger rift between 'guy who can stab an entire army with a toothpick' and 'guy who wants to do politics' is kinda a bad idea. In the one game I played for an extended period of time, we always had at least one person being excluded - normally two. If we were doing intellectual pursuits then the combat and social characters got bored. If we were doing combat, the intellectual and social characters basically had to stand back and let the combat monster kill everything. And in anything social, the combat guy sat around going 'can we stab things?'

Unless something I missed changed it, this seems like it will just further increase the huge difference in power, even at lower xp totals.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

There's a secondary xp pool that is for Evocations and a few other things, separate from the xp spend on charms and attributes, etc.

There will be combat support roles for those who aren't going MurderHobo, contributing to the fight in their own way rather than picking their nose while the combat monster kills everything.

Vadoc fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 14, 2014

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Stephenls posted:

Playtesters may want to cool it with the public speech at this point.

Have you noticed the increasingly positive spin on the posts here? It's directly correlated to getting that info from the playtesters. . .

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The combat support idea sounds cool, but the seperate xp pools just makes me think it'd exasperate the murderhobo issue, since it'd make progression into more and more combat power even quicker than otherwise.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Exalted is never going to be a "closed" system with well-defined maximums in basically any field of endeavor. Like, no character can ever say "okay, I've got all the fighting skill I can". Even if Martial Arts and Evocations and (combat-relevant) Sorcery didn't exist, you could just buy more Melee Charms, and Resistance Charms, and Dodge Charms, and...

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:

KittyEmpress posted:

In the one game I played for an extended period of time, we always had at least one person being excluded - normally two. If we were doing intellectual pursuits then the combat and social characters got bored. If we were doing combat, the intellectual and social characters basically had to stand back and let the combat monster kill everything. And in anything social, the combat guy sat around going 'can we stab things?'
See, this is a non-issue. By that I mean that there is not a way that they could ever resolve this issue no matter how much they tried. This is solely on the shoulders of the ST. If you have a mixed group, then there will always be times when part of the group is excluded.

However, what they have done is made the Social elements of Exalted far more interesting. Before things were both shallow and usually binary. Now there's a lot more depth.

We haven't been given much of the Mental areas yet, but I'm sure they will also have more added depth.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Adept Nightingale posted:

Man, if that public speech is a little too much for your NDA you guys are loving paranoid. A lot of us backed the system and "Ox Body Technique makes you a good tank" isn't exactly blowing anyone's minds here as spoilers go.

Edit: I mean, not to suggest I haven't appreciated your contributions to the thread as you've made them, but your role here as thread hall monitor doesn't seem particularly fulfilling for anybody, and if the above discourse about the playtest is treading on your NDA it must be incredibly broad.

:wtc: Dude. That first thing likely violates NDA too. There's also the possible issue of playtesters saying something, and having said it already, being quiet about it when asked by the people with the power to change it. Don't be a dick.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

I'm not really under obligation to like the Exalted team's weird don't spoil Christmas policies, but I admit I could have said so less harshly, so sorry for that.

Edit: I'm also not IN the playtest, to clarify.

Adept Nightingale fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 15, 2014

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
The issue isn't what he said, really. Maybe he just violated NDA already! I don't really know. The issue is people have a tendency, once they've said something, to want to elaborate on it. Just one more clarifying statement, etc..

Best to watch that.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Or you guys could just lift the NDA and let all the people who've already paid for the book see what's coming. Just a thought.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kenlon posted:

Or you guys could just lift the NDA and let all the people who've already paid for the book see what's coming. Just a thought.
I know I wasn't really interested in Demon: the Descent until that entire-rules-text preview happened.

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

Kenlon posted:

Stephen's said multiple times that he wishes he could just do that - but that decision isn't his to make, so yelling at him about it really isn't going to change anything.

Zereth posted:

I know I wasn't really interested in Demon: the Descent until that entire-rules-text preview happened.

This, but unironically. That being said, I wasn't a huge fan of the original Demon, so it kinda took that level of revelation to get me on board. Exalted, on the other hand, I'm entirely on-board with, even if it is likely to contain titty-mail and rapeghosts (because I can just say 'Okay, we won't be having any of that in this game' to my players.)

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Stephenls posted:

The issue isn't what he said, really. Maybe he just violated NDA already! I don't really know. The issue is people have a tendency, once they've said something, to want to elaborate on it. Just one more clarifying statement, etc..

Best to watch that.

Yeah, but as mistaya said before, we kinda hope to talk about Exalted when we click on the Exalted thread! If you want us to stop speculating or leaking-thinly-disguised-as-speculating about 3E, you need another line of discussion to replace it. Here, I'll start: let's talk about Lunar themes and capabiliagadfhasdjkl :unsmigghh:

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Yeah, but as mistaya said before, we kinda hope to talk about Exalted when we click on the Exalted thread! If you want us to stop speculating or leaking-thinly-disguised-as-speculating about 3E, you need another line of discussion to replace it. Here, I'll start: let's talk about Lunar themes and capabiliagadfhasdjkl :unsmigghh:

Hey, I'm not telling anybody else to shut up! I think Exalted discussion is great! (EDIT: Yes, even Lunar talk. Well. Some Lunar talk.) I'm just reminding playtesters that it can be easy to accidentally step over the NDA line in their enthusiasm to talk about cool thing.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I know that it's on the posters best interests if they don't blow the NDA and therefore get sued down to their pants due to a mishap, but it'd be cool to get more info than the KS updates that are like... Once a month?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

We have gotten information! For instance, it turns out that capital-eff Flaws, of the "No Phone" variety, are going to be in Exalted 3rd edition after all. I'm sure you're all as excited as I am!

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Ferrinus posted:

We have gotten information! For instance, it turns out that capital-eff Flaws, of the "No Phone" variety, are going to be in Exalted 3rd edition after all. I'm sure you're all as excited as I am!

Who wouldn't be excited about squeezing an extra Charm out of your Solar's irritable bowel syndrome?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

Well, I'll just be over here playing my callous deep sleeper dyslexic kleptomaniac low pain threshold solipsist terminally ill Solar, Mister No Fun Guy. :smugbert:

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Roadie posted:

Well, I'll just be over here playing my callous deep sleeper dyslexic kleptomaniac low pain threshold solipsist terminally ill Solar, Mister No Fun Guy. :smugbert:
The Great Curse was optimization all along.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

I thought Holden hated those?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

I thought Holden hated those?

They're not having flaws give out bp/experience points, it looks like.

quote:

The Flaws are of the variety people have been asking for. We finally figured out a way to do it without producing nasty perverse incentives or making them feel obligatory. The implementation isn't quite like any other White Wolf game, although it'll probably look obvious when you see the system implementation.

If it works like Fate Compels or Legends of the Wulin's Flaw system it could be neat.

Mengtzu
Jun 29, 2012
I don't understand why Ox-Body being good isn't blowing people's minds.

I sneered at that Charm for ten years!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Probably because they have literally no context to go on other than "some people say this formerly lovely thing is awesome, but they can't actually explain why or how it's awesome because something something Christmas presents." Like, is it really that surprising that people aren't getting excited about stuff they know precisely nothing about?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mengtzu posted:

Allegedly being good.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Mengtzu posted:

We already knew. "We'll make sure Ox-Body does something" was practically part of the opening pitch. I don't see where Stephenls gets off scolding you about saying so, he's not even your real dad!

Something we didn't know for certain was that you could still buy Ox-Body five separate times, although that "for each purchase..." familiar-enhancing power certainly implied that some permanent charms were still stackable with themselves. Whether that's actually a good thing remains to be seen, but it's definitely in keeping with what looks like 3e's overall design - lots and lots and lots of discrete powers bought one by one.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Mengtzu posted:

Because I kind of assumed that the charm still fundamentally works like it used to after seeing the familiar's version, and even if having extra hit points confers an excellent mechanical advantage under the new system, it's still strikes me as being the most boring thing I could possibly spend XP on.

Is that still basically how it works? Or did they fundamentally change the charm?

EDIT: It is good that it sounds like health levels actually matter now.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 15, 2014

• Locked thread