Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
I got a droid Maxx thanks to the advice from this thread about keeping unlimited data. Thanks thread!

Somewhere along the line, we skipped the part where it syncs all the apps on my google account to the phone. How do I make this happen manually?

I'm willing to hard reset at this point since I've done basically nothing.

e: nevermind, I figured out you could multi-select in play store so I downloaded my favorite like 50 apps from my list

Defenestration fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

DaveSauce posted:

So I'm in the market for a new phone. I'm a current Verizon customer, but I'm planning on upgrading to the new HTC One M8.

Verizon is currently offering a buy-one-get-one free deal on this phone, but I'm trying to interpret their vague small print. It says that each phone requires a new 2-year activation. Both me and the other person are on month-to-month right now. So, does this mean that for $200 we can get 2 phones as long as we both sign a new 2-year contract?

Or is the "new 2-year activation" intentionally vague to mean that this only applies to new customers/new lines?

The deal isn't for new subscribers only. I'm part of a family plan due for two upgrades (still using my Galaxy Nexus). Just checked VZW's website. Use VERIZON30 to bring the price of the phones down to $140. B1G1 still applies at this price. It essentially pays for the two lines' upgrade fees ($30/phone), so the final price is still $199.99.

Anyone have any clue how long this B1G1 promo is gonna last? Don't think I'll be able to order new phones until next week.

Edit: Never mind. Went ahead and ordered. Came out to $212 with state tax. It says overnight shipping on the home page, but the only free shipping option available was 2-day ground.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 28, 2014

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Bloodplay it again posted:

The deal isn't for new subscribers only. I'm part of a family plan due for two upgrades (still using my Galaxy Nexus). Just checked VZW's website. Use VERIZON30 to bring the price of the phones down to $140. B1G1 still applies at this price. It essentially pays for the two lines' upgrade fees ($30/phone), so the final price is still $199.99.

Anyone have any clue how long this B1G1 promo is gonna last? Don't think I'll be able to order new phones until next week.

Edit: Never mind. Went ahead and ordered. Came out to $212 with state tax. It says overnight shipping on the home page, but the only free shipping option available was 2-day ground.

Do those codes only work online, or can I do it in store? For some reason, I've always gone to the store to get phones...something about immediate satisfaction.

edit: And the answer is a resounding, "No." At least, according to the people in the store...they claimed they cannot enter online codes, and they cannot waive the upgrade fee (which would have been equivalent dollar-wise). I believe it, but in the end it's BS because I've had issues in the past and the managers were able to issue credits with no problems (after we sat there for 3 hours because they somehow hosed up creating an account and tried at least half a dozen times before realizing they needed to do something different). I'm sure a manager could have cleared it up pretty quick.

But I didn't ask to speak to a manager...should have, in retrospect, but I was lazy and kind of dumbfounded as to how they were being so adamant that they couldn't do anything, so I left and I just ordered online and arranged for an in-store pickup. At another store, though, because that one is in the vicinity of another place I'll be at tomorrow. I was tempted to pick it up at the same store I was just at to prove some stupid point, but that's just...well, stupid.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 29, 2014

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

SeaborneClink posted:

I personally walked a 4 line today because of a combination of them refusing to believe the moving picture box was capable of anything less than 100% truthiness, and lack of rudimentary arithmetic skills. This even after pulling up the other company's website and explicitly pointing out the 12 month trade in plan with $32.50 printed in bold next to the device.

"We pay $170/mo for 4 basic phones, we want smartphones and don't want to pay that much, what deal can you make us?"
:words:
"That's too much, we want to pay less than $170"
:words: about 160+130
"That's not what it said"
:suicide:

AT&T bitter vet here.

You are not the only ones who hate that commercial. You think it's bad having people walk away for lower price? Imagine when we have to tell them that Verizon was right and you do have to pay more.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

DaveSauce posted:

Do those codes only work online, or can I do it in store? For some reason, I've always gone to the store to get phones...something about immediate satisfaction.

edit: And the answer is a resounding, "No." At least, according to the people in the store...they claimed they cannot enter online codes, and they cannot waive the upgrade fee (which would have been equivalent dollar-wise). I believe it, but in the end it's BS because I've had issues in the past and the managers were able to issue credits with no problems (after we sat there for 3 hours because they somehow hosed up creating an account and tried at least half a dozen times before realizing they needed to do something different). I'm sure a manager could have cleared it up pretty quick.

But I didn't ask to speak to a manager...should have, in retrospect, but I was lazy and kind of dumbfounded as to how they were being so adamant that they couldn't do anything, so I left and I just ordered online and arranged for an in-store pickup. At another store, though, because that one is in the vicinity of another place I'll be at tomorrow. I was tempted to pick it up at the same store I was just at to prove some stupid point, but that's just...well, stupid.

If it makes you feel any better, "free overnight" somehow managed to turn into "5-day shipping" for me. Ordered the phones around noon on Friday and 2-day ground was the only free shipping option. Spoke with a rep who said the order would be processed as overnight, which seemed suspicious, but I figured she knew what she was talking about. She said it would definitely be overnight since I ordered a few hours before the cutoff. No phones Saturday, so I thought "eh, at least we'll get them Monday." Finally received the tracking number today and it says I'll get them Wednesday. I feel like a spoiled baby complaining about how 5>1, but the free overnight message was plastered on nearly every VZW page I looked at Friday.

Still, it's hard to beat two new phones for $100 each, including $30 upgrade fee.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
What Certified Like-New Replacement phone am I likely to get if i use my Asurion claim on my broken Droid RAZR HD?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

TSBX posted:

What Certified Like-New Replacement phone am I likely to get if i use my Asurion claim on my broken Droid RAZR HD?

Probably the same phone or a RAZR M.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

TSBX posted:

That was a pretty popular phone, so probably the same one.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

There's nothing saying you can't sell your replacement, right?

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Only if I decide to trade it in for Early Edge. Trying to find my old Droid X to switch the line to for the trade-in, but we'll see. I'd hate to eat the deductible if I can avoid it.

EDIT: Got the Droid X activated, and now realize that the Early Edge promo ended.....today! Huzzah! Any chance of a reprieve?

TSBX fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 1, 2014

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

TSBX posted:

Only if I decide to trade it in for Early Edge. Trying to find my old Droid X to switch the line to for the trade-in, but we'll see. I'd hate to eat the deductible if I can avoid it.

EDIT: Got the Droid X activated, and now realize that the Early Edge promo ended.....today! Huzzah! Any chance of a reprieve?
Early Edge open enrollment has been extended through 4/30.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

DaveSauce posted:

I was just at to prove some stupid point, but that's just...well, stupid.
The point of online-only promos is to incentivize you to pick out everything, check yourself out and pay online instead of going to a store or calling customer service where the company has pay $X for an employee to help you.

I don't mean to sound like a dick and the company isn't saying you can't or shouldn't visit a store or call in. It's just how the business works. :shrug:

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I want to switch to Verizon's single line $65 a month contract, my current verizon contract has expired. I also have an upgrade available, and I would also like to upgrade to the new HTC One. Does it matter which of these that I do first?

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I have a iPhone 5C. If I buy any other Verizon phone that can take a nano-sim and pop the 5C's sim into it, will that other phone just take off and start working like on GSM networks? Or is there still CDMA fuckery involving calling in that needs to happen?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Turnquiet posted:

I have a iPhone 5C. If I buy any other Verizon phone that can take a nano-sim and pop the 5C's sim into it, will that other phone just take off and start working like on GSM networks?

Yep. LTE activation is super simple.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

FedEx dropped off the One M8s an hour or so ago and I just finished getting mine set up. There's an unbelievable amount of pre-installed VZW crap that I can't get rid of fast enough. Took me nearly 10 minutes to figure out how to bypass the dumb Verizon Messages app and set the stock messaging app as default. (Settings -> More -> Default Messaging) When trying to personalize specific sections of the phone or its stock apps, I'm being redirected to Verizon's cloud service to select pictures, which is frustrating because I don't want to use VZW's cloud storage. I just want to select from my gallery, which is something I'm still trying to figure out. Also, it took me about five minutes to find the SIM/Micro SD tray removal tool. If anyone happens to get one and is as confused as I was: it's built into the box's packaging.

The phone is gorgeous. It's a tad heavier than the Gnex, but that's undoubtedly due to the aluminum construction instead of the Gnex's plastic. It also charges fairly quickly with QuickCharge 1.5. Still, I'm looking forward to when HTC releases the QuickCharge 2.0 chargers later this year because, if I did the math correctly, it'll allow the phone to charge from dead to full in just about an hour. Blinkfeed 6 is nice, but I wish there was a better way to customize news feeds with sites other than selecting from a list of default providers. Unless I'm missing something, there isn't any way to integrate Facebook with Blinkfeed without downloading/installing the Facebook app. It makes sense, but I'm not keen on the permissions needed by the FB app, which means I'll be sticking with mobile/desktop browser access.

Coming from the Gnex, the sound quality on the One M8 is like going from 8-track to CD. I opened YouTube to watch a music video and the sound quality is top-notch for a cell phone. It sounds significantly better than my PC monitor's built-in speakers, too.

Aside from the even-more-than-usual Verizon bloatware, I'm already fond of the phone. I'm about to dick around with the camera a little to see how it compares to the Gnex. I'm also going to try Hangouts later this evening with the front-facing camera and see how it performs.

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

I have a busted rear end Droid Incredible that I need to replace, and I have an unlimited plan that I want to keep. Is it as simple as buying a used phone off of ebay and activating it, or do I have to do anything tricky to make sure I keep the unlimited data? Going from a 3G only phone to 4G LTE shouldn't matter, right?

insert_funny
Jan 5, 2013

I can never have plastic surgery, because I don't feel like chipping in another five bucks to change the picture.

taco_fox posted:

I have a busted rear end Droid Incredible that I need to replace, and I have an unlimited plan that I want to keep. Is it as simple as buying a used phone off of ebay and activating it, or do I have to do anything tricky to make sure I keep the unlimited data? Going from a 3G only phone to 4G LTE shouldn't matter, right?

I went through the same thing almost 5 months ago. For me it was as simple as buying a 4G SIM from the local Verizon store, then coming home and activating it online. Still have my unlimited data.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Pre-orders for the Galaxy S5 are up if you're on Verizon.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
I'm out of contract, I got my last phone free (htc droid dna), its been making GBS threads itself slowly. Looking for a new phone but I dunno if the forecast is that great.

The S5 is out for pre-order but I've been reading that the S5, LG G2 and One M8 all aren't.. that great compared to other phones out now. The Note 3 is kind of cool but the pen is a dumb pen, nothing special.

Is this the end of phones with cool things (tm) because they're so disposable? What do y'all recommend? I want something that is cool. I leave my phone charging on my desk in a wireless charger all day so battery isn't the biggest deal. Preferably something with reliable GPS and cellular antennae because this piece of poo poo droid dna sucks.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Not an Anthem posted:

I'm out of contract, I got my last phone free (htc droid dna), its been making GBS threads itself slowly. Looking for a new phone but I dunno if the forecast is that great.

The S5 is out for pre-order but I've been reading that the S5, LG G2 and One M8 all aren't.. that great compared to other phones out now. The Note 3 is kind of cool but the pen is a dumb pen, nothing special.

Is this the end of phones with cool things (tm) because they're so disposable? What do y'all recommend? I want something that is cool. I leave my phone charging on my desk in a wireless charger all day so battery isn't the biggest deal. Preferably something with reliable GPS and cellular antennae because this piece of poo poo droid dna sucks.

I don't really know what you're getting at, but if you want a "flagship" phone on Verizon you're pretty much looking at the s5, M8, Moto X, G2 or latest iPhone. It's true that none of these are doing anything new, but it's also not 2008/2009 anymore and the days of being thoroughly impressed with a phone are pretty much gone if you're "in the know" so to speak.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

s5, M8, Moto X, G2 or latest iPhone

Or Droid MAXX, it's a larger Moto X with twice the battery life and wireless charging.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

big mean giraffe posted:

Or Droid MAXX, it's a larger Moto X with twice the battery life and wireless charging.

Yeah, I forgot that one.

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

insert_funny posted:

I went through the same thing almost 5 months ago. For me it was as simple as buying a 4G SIM from the local Verizon store, then coming home and activating it online. Still have my unlimited data.

I just tried this and it says "The device you're activating is not compatible with your current plan" and wants me to choose a new plan :confused:

What am I doing wrong? It's a Verizon branded Razr M, so it should be compatible.

edit: Talked to a Verizon rep and got it working

taco_fox fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 9, 2014

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:

Not an Anthem posted:

Touchless Control (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOr8Wxcc0Gs), Active Display (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWv6CEZraW0), and Motorola Assist (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TvVaUp5_v8) on the Moto X/Droid Maxx are pretty neat. Maxx uses Qi wireless charging same as the DNA. The battery capacity is pretty nice for just not having to pay attention to it at all.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm getting sick of not being able to just go buy a phone because of Verizon's stupid CDMA network. I'm currently on a family plan or whatever with 5 lines. Am I able to go to another carrier and port just my number out of my current plan?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

I'm getting sick of not being able to just go buy a phone because of Verizon's stupid CDMA network. I'm currently on a family plan or whatever with 5 lines. Am I able to go to another carrier and port just my number out of my current plan?

Yeah, but do it toward the end of your bill cycle because they won't refund you for the unused portion of the month when you cancel that line.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

kitten smoothie posted:

Yeah, but do it toward the end of your bill cycle because they won't refund you for the unused portion of the month when you cancel that line.

Yes they will

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

AdmiralViscen posted:

Yes they will

I ported a line out of my family plan last month, a week into the billing cycle, and they did not refund me anything. I took a feature off the line before porting out and they refunded me that on a pro-rated basis since some features apparently can be pro-rated, but the base line charge was billed as if I kept the line active through the end of the billing cycle.

The customer contract seems in line with this too, in saying that cancellation of a line takes effect at the end of the billing cycle.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
They didn't refund me, either.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Yesterday a store rep told me he thought the spending limit for a new customer account had just/was about to change from $2000 max to $4000. Any of you Verizon folks have more info on this?

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
Will the S5 be in Verizon stores tomorrow or will it be the ship date of the 14th?

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

ROOMBA floorvac posted:

Will the S5 be in Verizon stores tomorrow or will it be the ship date of the 14th?

With my indirect store they were ordered today and will probably be here on the 14th.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Back a year or so ago someone stole my wife's phone and when we went to Verizon they set up a new line for like $10 a month so we could get the cheap iPhone and port it to her unlimited data line without losing it. I wanted to upgrade my phone since the upgrade period popped up on that line we don't use. I went to the Verizon store and the guy this time acted like I was trying to buy drugs from him.

Is this no longer an option? If so I should probably just cancel that extra line.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Was it an entirely new account or something? I think if you do an upgrade on your account, you lose unlimited data on all your lines.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Was it an entirely new account or something? I think if you do an upgrade on your account, you lose unlimited data on all your lines.

No, they made a family talk additional line that doesn't have data or msg'ing or anything. I needed to use an old Razr on it, I forget the whole process so that was why I brought it to the store.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

This would have to be a super recent change. I just added a new line last week and it didn't do anything to my unlimited. I've even downgraded that line to a feature phone and activated the Moto X I got on my unlimited line.

There shouldn't be any problem with using the upgrade then moving it to a different line. Just be sure to activate it on the first, non-unlimited line first. After that, it's considered customer provided equipment.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

therealjon_ posted:

Back a year or so ago someone stole my wife's phone and when we went to Verizon they set up a new line for like $10 a month so we could get the cheap iPhone and port it to her unlimited data line without losing it. I wanted to upgrade my phone since the upgrade period popped up on that line we don't use. I went to the Verizon store and the guy this time acted like I was trying to buy drugs from him.

Is this no longer an option? If so I should probably just cancel that extra line.

The rep doesn't want to get in trouble for facilitating someone keeping unlimited data. If you want to circumvent the company's loss-of-unlimited policy just order the phone online where no one is responsible for it.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Or just ask to do the upgrade on the line that it is. Stop trying to tell us your life story/:airquote: awesome plan to stick it to the man :airquote:

Just upgrade the phone and do whatever you want to do on your own time. I don't care what you do once you leave the store and I can no longer get in trouble for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

SeaborneClink posted:

Or just ask to do the upgrade on the line that it is. Stop trying to tell us your life story/:airquote: awesome plan to stick it to the man :airquote:

Or come get a Samsung from an indirect and we'll happily do it for you. But also please skip the story part just say you want to keep your unlimited.

• Locked thread