Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Sorry to see that, that poor 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

I've been toying with the idea of getting a hitch installed and buying one of those fancy hitch-mounted racks.
Just order a hitch and install it yourself. I recommend this one.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Wouldn't those hitch bike racks make it impossible to open the hatch?

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!
We had something like this rack: http://www.yakima.com/shop/bike/hitch/fulltilt4 on an old Camry wagon. It tilts down so you can open the hatch.

Convergence
Apr 9, 2005
Related EMERGENCY 2007 Mazda 6 Hatch question:

Do ya'll think I could fit 180cm skis inside the car with the seats folded down? Maybe running between the front seats? Considering flying back from vacation with new skis but I'm not sure if they'll fit

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm pretty sure I comfortably fit a 160cm snowboard in my 3 Hatch with the seats folded down. If you feed it between the front seats you should have no problem with the extra ~20cm. Plus the 6es have more room overall, right?

You should probably wait to hear from an actual 6 owner but my guess is that you'll be fine.

Also thanks for the hitch advice guys. It's kind of weird that our manual says NO TOWING but the EU manual gives towing weights.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Also thanks for the hitch advice guys. It's kind of weird that our manual says NO TOWING but the EU manual gives towing weights.

It's mostly because Americans are loving idiots who think that this is perfectly safely loaded:

So, everyone just buys a brotruck even though their car with a trailer would be more than enough.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's mostly because Americans are loving idiots who think that this is perfectly safely loaded:

So, everyone just buys a brotruck even though their car with a trailer would be more than enough.

Sometimes, EU cars are differently equipped too. 1.8T B5 passats got bigger brakes in Europe, for example. Some cars have uprated transmission coolers.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Talk me out of buying this. 2008 Mazda 3 with cosmetic (?) damage on the rear driver panel for -6500-.
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/ctd/4386006673.html

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 30, 2014

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

NTT posted:

Talk me out of buying this. 2008 Mazda 3 with cosmetic (?) damage on the rear driver panel for -6500-.

Based on the front bumper, previous owner couldn't park or drive worth poo poo.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Sometimes you come out to find scratches on your bumper like that. I always found some new ones when I worked in Oakland. :( After that parking at the local community college added a few.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

nm posted:

Sometimes, EU cars are differently equipped too. 1.8T B5 passats got bigger brakes in Europe, for example. Some cars have uprated transmission coolers.

Sure, but in the case of the Mazdaspeed3 I don't think there's any difference around the world other than badging and which side the driver sits on. The US gets told no towing ever, the rest of the world gets 2000 pounds.

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
Hey guys, it's starting to warm up and I want to get a fitted sunshade for my 2014 Mazda3.
Any recommendations?
Oh and has anyone tried the Mazda Accessories one?

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.

shoophobo posted:

Hey guys, it's starting to warm up and I want to get a fitted sunshade for my 2014 Mazda3.
Any recommendations?

I have a similar one for me 2013 Speed3 - it's extremely nice and fitted, but also cost more than the $10 one I used to use.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

NTT posted:

Not sure I'd buy anything from a dealer around there (except a mobile home).
The price isn't too bad though.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

shoophobo posted:

Any recommendations?

The PO of my MS3 purchased one of those "custom fitted" sunshades for my car. I can't recall who the maker is. I'll try to remember to check next time I'm out.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Couple of MS3 questions -

I have custodial possession of my little brother's '08 MS3 for the foreseeable future (he's in AIT in the army right now, and then is shipping off to Korea for a year in late June/early July.) He has a couple of maintenance issues that he wants me to address while I have it:

• Clunking over bumps in the rear end - I'm pretty sure this is just rear swaybar endlinks...?
  • He reports the engine will periodically cut out under load, also says the stereo will reset at the same time. I'm guessing there's a grounding problem or maybe his battery/battery terminals are suspect.
  • Also says it can sometimes be difficult to shift into first or second gear. He does have some aftermarket shifter bushings installed and I think I recall having seen someone ITT posting about a similar problem that went away when the shifter bushings were returned to stock.

Any other suggestions as the car nears 60,000? Oil has been changed regularly, air filter is less than a year old and we already replaced all three engine mounts with aftermarket replacements.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Definitely check the endlinks, mine loosened up twice before I hit 30k. Otherwise, see if the rear shocks are leaking, it's a really common issue, and both of mine are starting to leak at barely over 40k.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Well Im now a proud owner of a new 2014 Mazda 3. Ive been driving crappy 90s era Japanese cars for a long time and I have to say this thing is amazing. I kept wondering if I was driving a bizarre fusion of German and Italian car. The paintjob is incredible. I got it in soul red mica and it looks like a totally different car from the same model in silver.

The steering feels solid and has a very nice weight to it.
My only complaint so far would be the heads up display. I don't think its necessary having it deploy every time I turn on the car. It's just setting me up for a potentially expensive repair later on.

EDIT: How do you check your windshield washer fluid levels? The reservoir seems to be really long and I can't tell how much I have.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 9, 2014

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Disassembled both my rear taillights because I thought I saw a spot of rust and sure enough I caught a spot in the making. The taillights in the tailgate are separated from the metal housing by little plastic nubs, and those little plastic nubs were hard enough to chip the paint where they contacted the body. I'm not surprised so many 3s have the rust cancer if stuff like that is built into the design of the car.

I ended up leaving the nub there but I applied some rust converter and touchup paint over the spot. Thinking about filing the nubs down altogether and just using some automotive stick-on foam to space the housings from the body.

Really annoying. I wonder how many other ticking time bombs there are.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I noticed my first bug in the 2014 3. When I turn the car off with navigation on screen it crashes the headunit. I get a black screen until I pull out the SD card and restart the car a couple times. Kind of annoying really. Hopefully a TSB will come out soon to deal with that. Other than that the car is absolutely brilliant. It's pure loving magic. I am really enjoying it.

Martytoof are you in a 2014 3?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kraftwerk posted:

No no, 2009 :)

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I handwashed my MS3 after a long time and discovered tons of chipped paint and scratches. :(

Time to break out the touch up paint, I guess.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Thanks to some idiot pushing their Durango into my bumper, they paid to have it repainted, which negated all the chips and stuff that developed on it in the three years I've had on this car.

There's a dumb little chip (doesn't go under the primer) on my passenger side front door that no one can really notice but I've never been good at doing touchup paint, and I fear that I'll just attract attention to it by trying to fix it.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

I noticed my first bug in the 2014 3. When I turn the car off with navigation on screen it crashes the headunit. I get a black screen until I pull out the SD card and restart the car a couple times. Kind of annoying really. Hopefully a TSB will come out soon to deal with that. Other than that the car is absolutely brilliant. It's pure loving magic. I am really enjoying it.

What version software is your HU on? They're up to 29 now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The only real chips I care about (not actually true, I care about them all :( ) are the ones in my wheelwell where I see so much rust cancer build up on other 3s. Attacked that poo poo so hard with rust-converter and repainted it, I just hope it's not too late. If my '09 starts to get rust cancer I'm going to be kind of angry TBH.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

A Proper Uppercut posted:

What version software is your HU on? They're up to 29 now.

I'm V28. I left my service department an e-mail to ask about V29. I'm not sure if that will help things. Based on what I've seen they haven't been able to fix the issue for a while. I think it's the one thing that is getting on my nerves on an otherwise great car.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

opengl128 posted:

Definitely check the endlinks, mine loosened up twice before I hit 30k. Otherwise, see if the rear shocks are leaking, it's a really common issue, and both of mine are starting to leak at barely over 40k.

Should this be obvious, like hydraulic fluid leaking down to the bottom where the shocks hook up with the LCAs?

I haven't had a chance to jack up the rear end and pull the wheels off but the shocks are dry at the bottom.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Yeah I have a ton of chips on the hood and front bumper, and a few little dents that need to be peened out.

And the back bumper is scratched to gently caress thanks to a retard who drunk reversed into me.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Took the CX-5 in for 7k mile service and got a call back saying they'll be replacing my transmission under warranty due to a TSB.

Anyone know anything about this? I searched for a transmission TSB for 2014 and can't find anything.

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

Jealous Cow posted:

Took the CX-5 in for 7k mile service and got a call back saying they'll be replacing my transmission under warranty due to a TSB.

Anyone know anything about this? I searched for a transmission TSB for 2014 and can't find anything.

I tried to talk to someone in customer service but they were all busy. But I was eavesdropping and it doesn't sound like you're the only one.

Edit/Update: it's a valve body issue. (I don't really know what that means.)

Stolennosferatu fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 15, 2014

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

I'm V28. I left my service department an e-mail to ask about V29. I'm not sure if that will help things. Based on what I've seen they haven't been able to fix the issue for a while. I think it's the one thing that is getting on my nerves on an otherwise great car.

I heard 28 was actually pretty buggy and most people went from 27 to 29. I'm on 27 and luckily have had pretty much zero issues so far.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kraftwerk posted:

EDIT: How do you check your windshield washer fluid levels? The reservoir seems to be really long and I can't tell how much I have.

Does your reservoir cap have a long clear tube connected to the underside and a pinhole in the top? Press your finger over the hole when you take the cap off, and keep it there as you take the entire tube out of the reservoir. That way the wiper fluid can't escape and you can see pretty close to what your level is (since I expect the tube reaches down to the bottom of the tank).

Alternately, do like I do and pour most of a jug of fluid in when the idiot light comes on. When it comes on again in a week or a month (depending on how grimy your roads are), pour the rest of the fluid in and go buy a new jug.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Geoj posted:

Should this be obvious, like hydraulic fluid leaking down to the bottom where the shocks hook up with the LCAs?

I haven't had a chance to jack up the rear end and pull the wheels off but the shocks are dry at the bottom.

Eventually it'll get that bad, right now mine are just a little damp up top.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Phy posted:

Does your reservoir cap have a long clear tube connected to the underside and a pinhole in the top? Press your finger over the hole when you take the cap off, and keep it there as you take the entire tube out of the reservoir. That way the wiper fluid can't escape and you can see pretty close to what your level is (since I expect the tube reaches down to the bottom of the tank).

Alternately, do like I do and pour most of a jug of fluid in when the idiot light comes on. When it comes on again in a week or a month (depending on how grimy your roads are), pour the rest of the fluid in and go buy a new jug.

Will do. Is there anything you'd recommend for winter climates? The fluid I used on my old car had a tendency to smudge and make visibility worse. I suspect that it has everything to do with the piss poor wipers though. These new Mazda 3 wipers are great!

Also what does the sport mode do? I haven't had a car with this feature before.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

Will do. Is there anything you'd recommend for winter climates? The fluid I used on my old car had a tendency to smudge and make visibility worse. I suspect that it has everything to do with the piss poor wipers though. These new Mazda 3 wipers are great!

Also what does the sport mode do? I haven't had a car with this feature before.

Well in the new 3 it does a few things. Increases throttle response, will hold gears longer, and you will usually be cruising at a lower gear than normal to keep the car in the power band. It actually works really well, not so good for the gas mileage though.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Kraftwerk posted:

Will do. Is there anything you'd recommend for winter climates?

Make sure you at least get washer fluid rated below 32 degrees (I think some are down to 0) and good wipers as well. I find rain x for both is usually a good bet - some people don't like them, but I find the wipers stay pliable down to lower temps.

BiRD BoY
Aug 18, 2003

Have a Nice Fright!

Martytoof posted:

Dang those photos make me want to go out in the driveway and give my 3 a hug :(

Aside from just chucking it in the boot, what do you guys with 3 hatches do for a bike transportation?

I've been toying with the idea of getting a hitch installed and buying one of those fancy hitch-mounted racks. Roof rack is another option but I've been warned off that path :haw:

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

As far as the bike rack, my girlfriend has an over-the-trunk removable style that seems to be pretty good (straps and a small metal frame) and would fit on the rear door of the hatch, but I was worried about it putting weight on the spoiler.

Old post, but I don't come here often. Don't buy one of those ordinary over the hatch style racks with the straps that blow in the wind and they're ugly-ing up the back of your baby. Grab a Thule raceway. Fits both of my cars, and is sexy. The ratchet system is boss; no messy straps.

I can still open both trunks with it on.

BiRD BoY fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 18, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Whatever the "metal" finish is on the OEM gear shift knob on my 2006 3 has slowly flaked off in places, and I actually managed to cut my hand on it tonight. Now I'm looking to replace it. Does anyone have any suggestions for something that doesn't look ridiculous? I'd be happy to replace it with the OEM part but that actually seems challenging, so I'm exploring alternatives.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Comedy option, Storm Trooper head.