Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

FlashBangBob posted:

If people didn't really know where the highs or the lows really are, it gives it a sense of risk that I actually want players to experience.

That sense of risk isn't perceptible if the player can't tell whether they're making a good or a bad sale, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Trials Frontier is a pretty solid, very fun, very good looking game with a (So far) very fair energy mechanic. Except for the part where it just crashes all the time. (It just crashed 5 times in a row on me, 3 of which were after I accepted a race, so yes, I am now down 15 energy. I know it refills fairly fast. Just... holy poo poo, fix your crashy game, I guess?

[edit]
Fable Age art guy Sincere question; Is English not the first language of the folks who developed this game?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 13, 2014

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Max22 posted:

That sense of risk isn't perceptible if the player can't tell whether they're making a good or a bad sale, though.

No one knows if they are making a good or bad buy until they sell. If they buy 1000 Platigold at 5 bucks and it goes to 10, they've made a good buy. But they have to make a decision at this point -- do I keep these 1000 Platigold on the hope that it goes to 12? or do I sell it now and think its going to ride back down and I can buy it lower. This is essentially a gamble they are making.

If they see that the lowest price for Platigold on the graph is something like $1.25, and they saw Platigold at $1.25 now there'd be an assumption to go all in and that its just free money as it rides back up.

Someone who needs something off the market is going to buy it unless they can't (like they don't have enough money or other resources to buy the one they need). So the risk, or even feeling of risk, isn't involved there.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
This may be rectified in the update, but there is basically no reason to ever do the heavy refine for electrium. Not only is it more expensive per chunk of E produced, it's actually a net loss at the prices the market's been seeing since I started tracking it today. The light refine, however, has been a winning proposition to one degree or another all day. :spergin:

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000

Victorkm posted:

Used. Mine is vPfZzEOJA7

Used. Mine's SkTZYNxh1J

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Campbell posted:

Used. Mine's SkTZYNxh1J

Used, Mine is sVDOoVu8EP

e: for content. If I pulled a 4star Leaf Enchantress is that good to keep going or should I re-roll and try for a 5 star?

Gegil fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 13, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Gegil posted:

Used, Mine is sVDOoVu8EP

Everyone always complains when a new game comes out and people talk about it... but these... these right here....

these are the worst. :p

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

Everyone always complains when a new game comes out and people talk about it... but these... these right here....

poo poo lasts like three days.

Except for battle cats. :pcgaming:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

tuyop posted:

poo poo lasts like three days.

Except for battle cats. :pcgaming:

Oh I'm not really like, all messed up about it. I just kinda laugh when there's post after post of "used that, heres a random string!" :)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FlashBangBob posted:

If they see that the lowest price for Platigold on the graph is something like $1.25, and they saw Platigold at $1.25 now there'd be an assumption to go all in and that its just free money as it rides back up.

On the other hand, the actual stock market has all the historical data you could ever want, and people still can't predict the future.

If people were accurately predicting based on the graph, how would the value move at all, let alone to "free money" prices? It seems like things would stay within a small margin of their "natural" prices, if you believe that people will only trade to historical models. I think it's more likely that you'd see the same momentum/flight-to-safety/blah blah swings as you see in RL markets.

And assuming that it is predictable as you say, the current model puts new players at a disadvantage. To them it's effectively random, because they haven't learned the usual prices. Experienced players would presumably learn them, and then only trade against known deviations.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Gegil posted:

Used, Mine is sVDOoVu8EP

e: for content. If I pulled a 4star Leaf Enchantress is that good to keep going or should I re-roll and try for a 5 star?

Used

Ok, we'll see...

Mine is XKHUS65EDC

Magman
Jul 23, 2004
Toppling the mighty and denting the hard.
Used, Mine is rSyNmMTrWK

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Feenix posted:

Oh I'm not really like, all messed up about it. I just kinda laugh when there's post after post of "used that, heres a random string!" :)

There's really no better way to do it than this honestly. There's not enough interest for an entire thread but it's just enough to kinda crowd other conversation (if there was anything to talk about on the wasteland of iOS)

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Feenix posted:

Oh, a bunch of new posts in the games thread? Must be a lovely freemium game

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

rio posted:

Oh, a bunch of new posts in the games thread? Must be a lovely freemium game

To be fair, Fable Age is fun, it just happens to be soured by having to be a freemium game because it's on the worst marketplace

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

And people seem to give a game the benefit of the doubt a lot more when someone in the thread worked on it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Actual content discussion:

Fable Age is decent, but maybe it's just because I never got on ANY of the PAD bandwagons, but these games all have WAY too many loving menus and clickthroughs. Seriously. Wayyyyy too many.

Gibbering Madness
Nov 7, 2009

69 69 69 68

Magman posted:

Used, Mine is rSyNmMTrWK

Used this one, heres mine: HaoBClaZOK

Never tried one of these games, P&D isn't available in my region for some reason. Seems pretty cool so far, time will tell how horrible the freemium hooks are though.

ghosts on the moon
Apr 24, 2010

Gibbering Madness posted:

Used this one, heres mine: HaoBClaZOK

Never tried one of these games, P&D isn't available in my region for some reason. Seems pretty cool so far, time will tell how horrible the freemium hooks are though.

Edit: Never mind, I don't think I like this game very much. Might as well boost the other folks' referrals.

ghosts on the moon fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 13, 2014

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Any good 4x games out lately? Or is that Masters of Orion clone still the best for casual players (I have it already).

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Feenix posted:

Actual content discussion:

Fable Age is decent, but maybe it's just because I never got on ANY of the PAD bandwagons, but these games all have WAY too many loving menus and clickthroughs. Seriously. Wayyyyy too many.

Excessive Click-thru is the bread and butter of paywall obfuscation. Most succesful freemium treadmills use this tactic all the goddamn time. It's the biggest red-flag to me that a game is going to be lovely.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

Any good 4x games out lately? Or is that Masters of Orion clone still the best for casual players (I have it already).

Eclipse is a cool board game spin on the whole 4x thing. It's nice because a game takes 30-60 minutes instead of n+20 minutes, where n=however long you actually want to play.

King of Dragon Pass is basically a 4x game despite being highly text based. It's also excellent.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Thanks, I will check out Eclipse! I have KoDP already and enjoyed it, I didn't think of it as a 4x but now that you mention it that makes sense!

The announcement of the new civ game for PC got me wishing there was a real civ game on iPad. Not that lame one they have. Heck, I'd pay 10 bucks for a civ 2/3 port.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

priznat posted:

A MoO clone, you say? What game is that?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Notorious QIG posted:

A MoO clone, you say? What game is that?

Had to go look it up, but it is "Starbase Orion". I think I got it as a freebie and it is decent but not fantastic.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

priznat posted:

Had to go look it up, but it is "Starbase Orion". I think I got it as a freebie and it is decent but not fantastic.

That's a shame. I'd kill for a good MoO2 clone.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Notorious QIG posted:

That's a shame. I'd kill for a good MoO2 clone.

Quiggy, there will never be a good MoO game again, give the dream up.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Rexicon1 posted:

Quiggy, there will never be a good MoO game again, give the dream up.

Why do you do these things to me

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Really enjoying fable age, but oh my god the amount of time it spends "connecting" on every goddamn screen is bizarre. I'm on a 14MB connection, so either they need some optimisation or perhaps less checking with the server every four seconds.

Uberskooper
Apr 30, 2007
Skoops up goood

priznat posted:

Yep. Check out Autumn Dynasty Warlords. It's a neat blend of 4x and tactical strategy. Here's a review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzALfmEcbqI

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Looks like you can play the DS games on your iOS device.

http://nds4ios.angelxwind.net/i/?page/downloads#notjailbroken

Edit: looking at my DS collections my favorite games are:

Puzzle quest 1
Warioware touched
Advance wars DS
Entrain odyssey 3
Lost in blue
Castlevania dawn of sorrows
Lost magic
Radiant historia

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 13, 2014

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Shwqa posted:

I don't normally care about emulation but I must admit Dragon Quest IX, Etrian Odyssey 2-3 and SMT Strange Journey on my phone without having to dig out my dusty old DS is pretty appealing. I own a DS copy of all three still so it's kinda in that grey area.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

Shwqa posted:

http://nds4ios.angelxwind.net/i/?page/downloads#notjailbroken

Edit: looking at my DS collections my favorite games are:

Puzzle quest 1
Warioware touched
Advance wars DS
Entrain odyssey 3
Lost in blue
Castlevania dawn of sorrows
Lost magic
Radiant historia

That website has 0 documentation how is the emu working on a non jb iphone?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Pan Ache posted:

Enterprise application signing which allows app distribution outside of the App Store, but Apple revokes the cert for stuff like this which is why you have to change the date on your phone to use it.

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

Pan Ache posted:

Probably the same way GBA4iOS works. A enterprise certificate that Apple expired like 2 hours after they released. Can't have people playing games that don't have 10 gems for $99!

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
If anyone likes brick breakers they need to get Breakfinity: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/breakfinity/id849968686?mt=8

Also Unpossible drops the 17th: sexiest and most intense game I've played in a long time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N9MvVsmlzo&hd=1

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Playing that fable age game, I've stumbled across the strategy of using a random leader, plus three elf lords (one of each element), for basically infinite links. As long as you link all three colors each turn you get a net of +2 links per turn, plus all the obvious benefits of massive link use increasing your damage output, and creating a lot of incidental healing. It has so far mad a lot of content pretty trivial, but I know it is sort of limited by the 35 level cap of the elf lords. I wish I had held out for a better leader, but oh well. If anybody wants to refer from me here is my code: u2CzUWpNtc

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Enterprise application signing which allows app distribution outside of the App Store, but Apple revokes the cert for stuff like this which is why you have to change the date on your phone to use it.

If you're a registered developer you can compile it yourself too since the source is available.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

eeenmachine posted:

If anyone likes brick breakers they need to get Breakfinity: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/breakfinity/id849968686?mt=8

Also Unpossible drops the 17th: sexiest and most intense game I've played in a long time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N9MvVsmlzo&hd=1

I love how the app description mentions "crazy twists" but the screens are all totally typical breakout levels, no power ups or twists shown at all!

Sure it's free but that's pretty dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

tuyop posted:

no power ups or twists shown at all!

And you didn't see it coming, did you? GOTCHA

• Locked thread