Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah, I'm really curious to see what a chunk of cards designed by non-Magic people would be like. I could see really unique flavor creations going this way, but unless they're Magic players on their own I'm not sure how much they would work from a mechanics standpoint without some hand-holding from Wizards, and at that point how much of that design is from who they say it is?

Also, EDH is pretty cool you guys-

Not pictured: me casting Multani and Kozilek next turn, then swinging into a really obvious overloaded Cyclonic Rift (while I had Iona in my hand), which the other remaining guy responded to with Sudden Spoiling followed by activating a Nev's Disk, so my Eldrazi didn't trigger the graveyard shuffling effect :negative: Somehow I still won, 30 minutes later.

E: Teeg doesn't stop Rift because its CMC is 2. The Overload is just an alternate casting method.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Once you buy the game, you have several decks. Each time you use a deck to win a game online or against the AI, you unlock at least one card for it, to a max of 30 extra cards per deck. By entering codes that were given out for events during the year, you can add another 10 on top for each deck including very strong stuff like the Time Walk miracle and Force.

Some of the DLC you're seeing is the expansion and the deck packs. These give you access to more decks, and the expansion adds a bit more to the single player experience too. These come especially recommended for D14 because the newer decks are much more interesting and creative than the base game, probably for the exact purpose of DLC sales. They did put a lot of the raw power in the vanilla game though: alongside the DLC Izzet burn/Charmbreaker deck, the top tier consists of the blue tribal aggro control and the white tribal aggro control decks, both of which come with the base game. (I said the base game was uncreative. :v:) Though the Samurai DLC deck is a decent aggro counter so the meta has a little give and variety in it.

The rest of the DLC is either the deck keys, which give you all the cards for some deck if you don't want to spend ages grinding out the unlocks, or will foil up whatever deck you put it for. Foiling is wholly cosmetic and only for people who have more money than sense. Unlocking is fair enough if you're not that patient, especially coming into the game at a later date. If you got the decks a bit at a time, manually unlocking was much less daunting and much more natural than if you're given them all at once.

Thanks for the explanation! How does sealed work? I noticed you can buy (expensive) slots for more of those decks. It seems like with no skin in the game, people might just drop if they get a lovely sealed deck.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Yeah, I'm really curious to see what a chunk of cards designed by non-Magic people would be like. I could see really unique flavor creations going this way, but unless they're Magic players on their own I'm not sure how much they would work from a mechanics standpoint without some hand-holding from Wizards, and at that point how much of that design is from who they say it is?

Justin Gary at least is a former MtG pro, and my guess is that all those people have played Magic.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Devor posted:

Thanks for the explanation! How does sealed work? I noticed you can buy (expensive) slots for more of those decks. It seems like with no skin in the game, people might just drop if they get a lovely sealed deck.

Sealed ostensibly works by giving you a bunch of packs for a sealed pool, starting (I think) at 6 and then you can get up to 9 by playing single-player with a deck built from that sealed pool.

In reality, people figured out how to mod their sealed pool to contain whatever cards they want, so people actually use it to play more free-form constructed than what the official decks let you do. At least, that's what it was like the last time I looked, not sure if it's still that way.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Also, sealed's random number generator is apparently tied to your Steam account name, so you can't change your packs no matter what.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing

Entropic posted:

Can't roll my eyes enough at the Guest Designer gimmick for M15. Leave card design to the pros, please.

First of all, no, second of all, keep in mind that Invitational cards have undergone huge changes but still mostly kept the spirit of the card. (unless you're Kai Budde)

Tiago Chan's original submission was colorless land that was a 2UU counterspell in your hand. They work with the guest designers to get something both parties like.

Crackatastic
May 13, 2005

Ayo, I kinda like your natural scent.
*NO HOMO*
I'm hearing a rumor somewhere that Pharika is looking like:

"If you would gain life, you may instead have creatures your opponents control get -x/-x until end of turn, where X is the amount of life gained."

It was a source I tend to believe (this person's been 100% correct on some things before, especially with Theros), so I wouldn't expect him to be too far from the truth, but I also know that he hasn't been around Magic for a while, so who knows. Either way, that doesn't sound too farfetched of an ability.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
I don't know about any of the others but Brad Muir definitely plays magic.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Crackatastic posted:

I'm hearing a rumor somewhere that Pharika is looking like:

"If you would gain life, you may instead have creatures your opponents control get -x/-x until end of turn, where X is the amount of life gained."

It was a source I tend to believe (this person's been 100% correct on some things before, especially with Theros), so I wouldn't expect him to be too far from the truth, but I also know that he hasn't been around Magic for a while, so who knows. Either way, that doesn't sound too farfetched of an ability.

That would rapidly get ugly in Draft with the Cure, Time to Feed, Servant of Tymaret etc.

I like it.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

C-Euro posted:

Also, EDH is pretty cool you guys-

You're adorable. :smug:

Not shown: Both the Karador and Sisay players :golfclap:'ing and then conceding, making Withengar a 39/39 and already equipped with Swiftfoot boots. :flashfap: EDIT: Post your favorite EDH boardstates.

Unfortunately, this was the high point for the deck (Creatureless Jeleva) and I've had a so-so run with it so far and have been considering some new builds to try out. :( Some sort of Jund all-comer is on the brain (maybe Prossh deserves another shot), a creature-heavy Ruric Thar list, or - especially after having fun stealing people's stuff with Acquire and Stolen Identity - is there a good UX Clone general? Sakashima seems cool but I don't know about mono-blue.

Thoughts?

bhsman fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 13, 2014

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
I've just now come to the conclusion my EDH group is unbearable groggy. They all run massive amounts of board wipes, search and hosers. I've never seen a board state half that interesting, despite my attempts to encourage shenanigans with a grouphug deck (with some very sneaky win conditions hidden in there.)

KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured
Edh Schmedh

Why not play Highlander instead. More magic, less politics.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
OH MY GOD I wrote something again!! It's called 'we want women to play our game, or whatever'

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

kingcobweb posted:

OH MY GOD I wrote something again!! It's called 'we want women to play our game, or whatever'

I think you were being too subtle. I'm still not sure what point you were trying to make. Something about vampires being popular?

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Ramos posted:

I think you were being too subtle. I'm still not sure what point you were trying to make. Something about vampires being popular?

I am scrambling to find that gif of Mr. Gong from the Maxx screaming "Of course I've got a problem with women!" But no luck

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

kingcobweb posted:

That was an excellent article until the last part gave me Platy flashbacks.

Maybe you meant to go there :(

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

That was an excellent article until the last part gave me Platy flashbacks.

Maybe you meant to go there :(

This rings a really distant bell but I don't remember what happened. MT person, right? Was that the Yawgatog thing?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Did you know that going 4-0 at GP Philly then finishing 5-3 is mildly vexing?

but no for real i did so far beyond my expectations that i have little to complain about. only started playing more stuff than fnm this year.

now the question is do i hate myself enough to do the sunday sealed series tomorrow :shepicide: also i cant decide if athreos kills my deck or makes it awesome (BW midrange)

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
I'm trying to think what the best options to force your opponent to pay life off the B/W god are. Cartel Aristocrat and Gary, obviously, and Priest of Penance is at least a sideboard option, but what are the really good come into play effects in standard right now?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

ThirdEmperor posted:

I'm trying to think what the best options to force your opponent to pay life off the B/W god are. Cartel Aristocrat and Gary, obviously, and Priest of Penance is at least a sideboard option, but what are the really good come into play effects in standard right now?

honestly at least in b/w you should be less concerned with CIP effects and more concerned with value creatures your opponent will really hate having to pay 3 life to kill.

like seriously playing athreos and not ghost dad is loving criminal

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Zorak posted:

So apparently the guy who asked the Conspiracy question at the Magic panel was none other than our very own MinusX.

And apparently they've outright let him know who the upcoming Planeswalker is...

DACK FAYDEN COMMA GREATEST THIEF IN THE MULTIVERSE

So after being pulled into a cabal and signing some legal papers they recorded me getting the print of Dack. It was pretty cool. Some key questions asked after the panel in a totally hidden room (that they openly announced you could go to to ask more things).
- Dack was designed with the fact he won't be standard or modern legal. He's going to be pushed (emphasis their's)
- After Jenna left someone asked about the fact everyone is doing story reboots these days, could WotC do a retelling of brother's war? This was met with a "Well, Jenna is gone so anything we say will be wrong...uhhhh. Premending is weird..." but then saying they might be able to do some breadcrumbs and other throwbacks to old characters. While this was being said one of the panelist had this HUGE poo poo eating grin that was very telling. I called him out on it and he said he can't say anything but it was good I noticed that.
- We asked if the new card type was what wasn't going to be legal, and they couldn't say. But if we looked closely at the frame we might notice some key differences. Conspiracy (the card type) also are normal sized cards, not plane or scheme sized. I don't expect it to feed the goyf.
- Apparently spoiling sets in order are very very very thought out. They don't show what could basically be the next deck right away because they want people to organically absorb the set and build. Each spoiler season is a puzzle that WotC does. (I think fairly well too.)
- "Legacy PT?" :iiam:
- I also asked about crackgate once basically everyone left so that it wasn't a big public thing, and they basically said the dailymtg post from the event crew is how they'd like to handle them. It was said take a handful of people from a sporting event and stick them in the same chairs and you'd have the same issue, and mosr everyone was wearing belts.

There was some more I'm forgetting in sure but that's the high points. I'll scan the full art Dack asap.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

ThirdEmperor posted:

I'm trying to think what the best options to force your opponent to pay life off the B/W god are.
Sin collector, Banisher Priest, just putting men on the table and smashing your opponent repeatedly in the face?

If you don't run out of men he's not going to turn off and then things get troubling fast, especially when the ghosts show up to help.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Banisher Priest, Keening Apparition and Thrill-Kill Assasin all seem like they'd work pretty well with Athreos.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude

Ramos posted:

It doesn't seem to me like WOTC's trying to pander to anyone, making clumsy attempts to get women to play or failing women players in any way, so I don't see it either.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

kingcobweb posted:

This rings a really distant bell but I don't remember what happened. MT person, right? Was that the Yawgatog thing?

Kibler fangirl from #mtg on efnet from way back. Thats all I remember, there might have been something with Yawgatog as well.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Gather round kids, it's trip report time.

Went to a PTQ on the outskirts of London yesterday, sealed deck which made me a bit hesitant, but I'm trying to get points for GP byes.

Thought my pool was, eh, okay, went UG since I got Prognostic Sphinx and Polukranos, probably my best individual cards, and a bunch of the commons that make green so strong in the format like Nessian Asp and Sedge Scorpion.

Aaaand in the first game I pretty much forgot how to play Magic. Main problem was twice forgetting Prognostic Sphinx's trigger, which might have saved me from a run of land draws. Subsequently lost my first two rounds out of eight, so start considering dropping to play the Standard GPT side event. I decide to play the third round, and after the other guy's first three turns were T1 play a swamp, T2 play a mountain, T3 Discard Fade into Antiquity, I get a win. So I stay in, since I think I'll get more from any PW points I can win than paying more money to take a shot at a GPT. I go on to a six-match streak and finish 6-2, finish in 26th place out of 202 or so, a point away from being in the top twelve.

Easily my best result at such a large event, feels good to have been so close to having a shot at being in the Top 8 draft on tiebreakers (but since my loses were early I probably would fall short) and 115 PW points is a big help. Pity about the big wad of BNG boosters they gave me at the end. :|

Some memorable moments (besides the mana screw on that Jund player I mentioned)
- beating another mana screwed opponent who was one short of being able to Bestow his two Hopeful Eidolon and Eidolon of Countless Battles onto Wingsteed Rider and building a huge flying lifelinker, which probably would have got big enough to get past the Nessian Asp I dropped.
-Having a six creature, all Centaur board with Pheres-Band Raiders making GBS threads them out each turn.
-Raised by Wolves being incredible.
-Completely nobbling a guy's gameplan with a T2 Nullify and a T3 Disolve
-Siding in Floodtide Serpent because I didn't read the card properly and thought it could return opponent's enchantments to hand, then find I can use it for ridiculous card advantage with Nylea's Presence.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Gather round kids, it's trip report time.

Went to a PTQ on the outskirts of London yesterday, sealed deck which made me a bit hesitant, but I'm trying to get points for GP byes.

Thought my pool was, eh, okay, went UG since I got Prognostic Sphinx and Polukranos, probably my best individual cards, and a bunch of the commons that make green so strong in the format like Nessian Asp and Sedge Scorpion.

Aaaand in the first game I pretty much forgot how to play Magic. Main problem was twice forgetting Prognostic Sphinx's trigger, which might have saved me from a run of land draws. Subsequently lost my first two rounds out of eight, so start considering dropping to play the Standard GPT side event. I decide to play the third round, and after the other guy's first three turns were T1 play a swamp, T2 play a mountain, T3 Discard Fade into Antiquity, I get a win. So I stay in, since I think I'll get more from any PW points I can win than paying more money to take a shot at a GPT. I go on to a six-match streak and finish 6-2, finish in 26th place out of 202 or so, a point away from being in the top twelve.

Easily my best result at such a large event, feels good to have been so close to having a shot at being in the Top 8 draft on tiebreakers (but since my loses were early I probably would fall short) and 115 PW points is a big help. Pity about the big wad of BNG boosters they gave me at the end. :|

Some memorable moments (besides the mana screw on that Jund player I mentioned)
- beating another mana screwed opponent who was one short of being able to Bestow his two Hopeful Eidolon and Eidolon of Countless Battles onto Wingsteed Rider and building a huge flying lifelinker, which probably would have got big enough to get past the Nessian Asp I dropped.
-Having a six creature, all Centaur board with Pheres-Band Raiders making GBS threads them out each turn.
-Raised by Wolves being incredible.
-Completely nobbling a guy's gameplan with a T2 Nullify and a T3 Disolve
-Siding in Floodtide Serpent because I didn't read the card properly and thought it could return opponent's enchantments to hand, then find I can use it for ridiculous card advantage with Nylea's Presence.

Interesting! Are you going to any GPTs for manchester? If you are I might see you there, I am still debating whether to register for some, considering it's quite near me. It will be my first event bigger than a FNM, I am really worried about it, haha.

e: grammar

Samael fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Apr 13, 2014

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Maha posted:

It doesn't seem to me like WOTC's trying to pander to anyone, making clumsy attempts to get women to play or failing women players in any way, so I don't see it either.

Yeah, I don't even see what the article is supposed to be satirizing, or what your point is at all. Like, the actual meat of the article seems to be these lines:

quote:

Look, let’s cut to the chase. We measure our game’s popularity by how many people show up on a Friday night to organized competitive tournaments populated mostly by people who’ve played the game for five years, and all you women are really letting us down. You act like there’s something stopping you from going to these!

Do you not even know how to play? God, you women are so needy. Just walk up to any group of guys you don’t know and ask them to teach you. Boom! Done! Next. Problem.

I’m on a roll here. I can feel it. Okay. You know all those girlfriends you have, and you like talk about whatever it is, and you’re like “omahgawwwd there are like no single guys” well check THIS out: Single guys! Magic tournaments! Tons of them! They’ll practically be lining up to talk to you! They will probably even literally line up to talk to you. That will be the best thing. Come on, you’ll love it.

WotC doesn't measure the game's popularity by tournament attendance any more, that stopped around 2008 when they realize they were alienating all the casual players. They keep putting out products for casual lately, Duel Decks, Commander, Conspiracy -- in fact, Wizards seems to be really focusing on kitchen-table in the last few years, so how is it Wizards' fault that many tournament players are weird nerds?

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Samael posted:

Interesting! Are you going to any GPTs for manchester? If you are I might see you there, I am still debating whether to register for some, considering it's quite near me. It will be my first event bigger than a FNM, I am really worried about it, haha.

e: grammar
Same here, just FNM's at the Manchester FLGS - but tempted!

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Saeku posted:

Yeah, I don't even see what the article is supposed to be satirizing, or what your point is at all. Like, the actual meat of the article seems to be these lines:

WotC doesn't measure the game's popularity by tournament attendance any more, that stopped around 2008 when they realize they were alienating all the casual players. They keep putting out products for casual lately, Duel Decks, Commander, Conspiracy -- in fact, Wizards seems to be really focusing on kitchen-table in the last few years, so how is it Wizards' fault that many tournament players are weird nerds?

Wizards claims nominally to want women to play their card game, but makes no attempt to foster an environment that's in any way safe or inviting to them. "WotC likes casuals more than tournaments lately" is wayyyy besides the point - it's in their interests to make women feel safe at shops and events, but they don't really care that much.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Sade posted:

Wizards claims nominally to want women to play their card game, but makes no attempt to foster an environment that's in any way safe or inviting to them. "WotC likes casuals more than tournaments lately" is wayyyy besides the point - it's in their interests to make women feel safe at shops and events, but they don't really care that much.

What do you think WotC should be doing to make women feel safe at shops and events?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Saeku posted:

What do you think WotC should be doing to make women feel safe at shops and events?

Make it clearer in the IPG that Unsporting Conduct - Minor should more frequently apply to cases where a player or spectator is being unsavoury to a female participant.

Also add specific mentions of sexism to the JAR document where they mention abusive behaviour.

I am currently watching out for a player at my local store that I have had reports of sexism from him both directly to his opponents and indirectly about his opponents to other nearby players, but I am yet to have the chance to witness it myself to make it clear that any comments which seriously hamper the comfort level of other people in the store and drive them away from being a regular is not welcome.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

mehall posted:

Make it clearer in the IPG that Unsporting Conduct - Minor should more frequently apply to cases where a player or spectator is being unsavoury to a female participant.

Tightening up on Unsporting Conduct - Minor penalties doesn't do much since there isn't a huge difference between verbally cautioning somebody for inappropriate behaviour or issuing a Warning, and the IPG doesn't have any effect on Regular REL tournaments which is most play. I think the IPG is fine as is, and already has a provision that sexist insults are Unsporting Conduct - Major. The issue that I've seen is lack of enforcement on the store judge side, and lack of respect for policy on the player side. I've been called a bitch and told to get back in the kitchen at FNM in front of a L1 judge, brought it up, and the opponent wasn't penalized.

The MTG community is unwelcoming to women, but WotC has horrible control over the Magic community (see: crackgate.) That's why I bring up casual play: the best WotC can do is give people ways to play Magic without engaging in the community. Other than that, it's up to the players and stores to get their act together and create a welcoming environment.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Saeku posted:

The MTG community is unwelcoming to women, but WotC has horrible control over the Magic community (see: crackgate.) That's why I bring up casual play: the best WotC can do is give people ways to play Magic without engaging in the community. Other than that, it's up to the players and stores to get their act together and create a welcoming environment.

This is true. There's not much Wizards can do outside of sanctioned events. One idea would be to offer more support to stores that provide a better environment for women, but that's a huge mess in terms of actually validating that.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Saeku posted:

The issue that I've seen is lack of enforcement on the store judge side, and lack of respect for policy on the player side. I've been called a bitch and told to get back in the kitchen at FNM in front of a L1 judge, brought it up, and the opponent wasn't penalized.

Yeah, that's hosed up, I definitely would have made it clear to your opponent that that wouldn't be accepted if it was clearly not a jest between friends, which it clearly wasn't if you brought it up.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Gabe is now in the Semifinals of the SCG open :D He's a local player from my area so we're all pretty excited about how he's doing.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

mehall posted:

Also add specific mentions of sexism to the JAR document where they mention abusive behaviour.

I am currently watching out for a player at my local store that I have had reports of sexism from him both directly to his opponents and indirectly about his opponents to other nearby players, but I am yet to have the chance to witness it myself to make it clear that any comments which seriously hamper the comfort level of other people in the store and drive them away from being a regular is not welcome.
If you've had multiple people saying someone is being a jerk then you don't really have to see it for yourself. You've got enough evidence to trust other people in this situation.

Saeku posted:

They have a ton of power, that guy got banned. From what goons and some redditors have posted that their local stores are friendly to all types of people, and some stores aren't. I would say that the stores doing well have a mature environment and WotC may have a financial incentive to get the bad stores to correct their behavior or lose WotC's products and promotional services. Lots of store owners have talked about how big MTG is for their businesses.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Yeah I'm not really sure what WotC could do at this point. I don't think their game is unwelcoming to women, it's just that some players are very grogny. poo poo, I had to explain to a guy at my local game store why using "rape" as a declaration of sound victory is not cool. The best we can hope for is the community making it welcoming where they can.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Yeah I'm not really sure what WotC could do at this point. I don't think their game is unwelcoming to women, it's just that some players are very grogny. poo poo, I had to explain to a guy at my local game store why using "rape" as a declaration of sound victory is not cool. The best we can hope for is the community making it welcoming where they can.
There used to be a giant steve argyle liliana wall sticker affixed to the entrance door of the old location of my LGS. I've had a girl I was with comment on it before. I can't imagine those sorts of promotional products help.

quote:

Yeah, that's hosed up, I definitely would have made it clear to your opponent that that wouldn't be accepted if it was clearly not a jest between friends, which it clearly wasn't if you brought it up.
Casual racism, sexism, and homophobia is still those things.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
a word only has as much power as you give it :tvtropes:

• Locked thread