Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Nodelphi posted:

Bobby Jindal.

Also, Ted Cruz.

Plus, it's simply human nature to lack empathy or be greedy. Once racism becomes less of a barrier for some races, or at least when certain races get promoted to "white" status, they tend to forget about privilege rather quickly. See: the fact that there are tons of registered Republican voters of Irish and Italian ancestry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Fortunately the wealthy have been crushing the middle class so they won't have any statistically meaningful population in future elections. Of course they can just buy all the potential candidates, but still.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Gotta suck the wealth out of somebody. Poors don't have any, middle class has some left, but sooner or later the rich will begin to feed on themselves en mass. Crushing society and buying political candidates is more of an unfortunate side effect of this.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
I think I could be a pretty good GOP pundit. Democracy decimated and demoralized the working class, and elected the wealthy to the only remaining positions of actual power. Therefore democracy is a failure, and turning the reins over to those remaining confident few of real franchise is our only option.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I mean, no one should be tortured but I have a hard time feeling sympathy for a guy who assaulted the sitting president. Come the gently caress on dude, what did you think was going to happen? It's Darwin awards stuff.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
I don't think George Bush was ever the president of Iraq. And it's a shoe. Two notches above a pie, and more aerodynamic.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Where the gently caress did that "finite amount of oxygen" poo poo come from, and why are engineers so bad at chemistry?

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
So, there is this guy in Nevada that has been illegally grazing cattle on federal land and not paying his fees for 20 years. The federal land management people finally got around to assessing him fines and confiscating the cattle. Apparently this is a horrible thing to right wingers because the federal government something something something... I don't even know. But I keep hearing all these conspiracy theories that Harry Reid's son is in some bizarre land deal with the Chinese for solar power... God only knows.

Have the wingnuts been talking about this? It has to be coming from somewhere but I can't honestly tell if it's coming from the "normal" crazy sources or the lizard people/9-11 inside job crazy sources.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've been trying to figure that out myself. The only sources I can find are from the crazysphere and to be honest, if an infowars reporter claimed that 2+2=4 I'd pull out a calculator to double check.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Anubis posted:

So, there is this guy in Nevada that has been illegally grazing cattle on federal land and not paying his fees for 20 years. The federal land management people finally got around to assessing him fines and confiscating the cattle. Apparently this is a horrible thing to right wingers because the federal government something something something... I don't even know. But I keep hearing all these conspiracy theories that Harry Reid's son is in some bizarre land deal with the Chinese for solar power... God only knows.

Have the wingnuts been talking about this? It has to be coming from somewhere but I can't honestly tell if it's coming from the "normal" crazy sources or the lizard people/9-11 inside job crazy sources.

Dude it comes from Infowars enough said. But maybe I am from the government, agenda21, the NWO or the illuminati so don't trust me at all. :aaaaa:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think it really shows how worthless they are as a news organization. A sale of public land like that would have some sort of publicly accessible record. It might be true, really, but give me some evidence!

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Lowtechs posted:

Dude it comes from Infowars enough said. But maybe I am from the government, agenda21, the NWO or the illuminati so don't trust me at all. :aaaaa:

Fair enough, just knowing it comes from infowars actually helps me a ton. I just couldn't find where the hell this particular crazy was born, which makes it hard to judge and potentially argue against. Thanks for the help, people who aren't completely crazy and are just parroting things because they hate Reid can be flipped on it pretty easy then. People who are chemtrail idiots I tend to leave alone because I'm not qualified to prescribe medication.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I saw a couple of tweets about that story by DRUDGE being all like "FEDS BACK OFF IN NEVADA RANCH WAR" or something like that. Some militia guys showed up to support the rancher in his fight against BIG GOVERNMENT, and they backed off, fearing a public safety issue.

According to Reuters they gave the guy his cattle back and most of the crowd dispersed.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/12/us-usa-ranchers-nevada-idUSBREA3B03Q20140412

quote:

U.S. officials ended a stand-off with hundreds of armed protesters in the Nevada desert on Saturday, calling off the government's roundup of cattle it said were illegally grazing on federal land and giving about 300 animals back to the rancher who owned them.

The dispute less than 80 miles northeast of Las Vegas between rancher Cliven Bundy and the U.S. Bureau of Land Management had simmered for days. Bundy had stopped paying fees for grazing his cattle on the government land and officials said he had ignored court orders.

Anti-government groups, right-wing politicians and gun-rights activists camped around Bundy's ranch to support him.

The bureau had called in a team of armed rangers to Nevada to seize the 1,000 head of cattle on Saturday but backed down in the interests of safety.

"Based on information about conditions on the ground and in consultation with law enforcement, we have made a decision to conclude the cattle gather because of our serious concern about the safety of employees and members of the public," the bureau's director, Neil Kornze, said in a statement.

The protesters, who at the height of the standoff numbered about 1,000, met the news with applause. Then they quickly advanced on the metal pens where the cattle confiscated earlier in the week were being held.

After consultations with the rancher and his family, the bureau ultimately decided to release the cattle it had rounded up, and the crowd began to disperse.

A number of Bundy's supporters, who included militia members from California, Idaho and other states, dressed in camouflage and carried rifles and sidearms. During the stand-off, some chanted "open that gate" and "free the people."

A man who identified himself as Scott, 43, said he had traveled from Idaho along with two fellow militia members to support Bundy.

"If we don't show up everywhere, there is no reason to show up anywhere," said the man, dressed in camouflage pants and a black flak jacket crouched behind a concrete highway barrier, holding an AR-15 rifle.

"I'm ready to pull the trigger if fired upon," Scott said.

The original militia that showed up to help him consisted of three guys, but a bunch of other people joined in after word started to spread. It looks like no one was hurt, thank goodness, but who knows if the guy will continue grazing his cattle on federal land. This latest push by the government came after he expanded his range to new federal lands further out from the original place he and the government have been fighting over since 1998.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I was really hoping for shenanigans involving Papier Mâché cows or cardboard cutouts. By the time Infowars realized what's up, the real cows would already be on route to Washington DC. The White House is serving steak tonight.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Leofish posted:

It looks like no one was hurt, thank goodness, but who knows if the guy will continue grazing his cattle on federal land.
The feds have now shown themselves to be pushovers so of course he will.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

beatlegs posted:

Hopefully they'll try again once all the militia morons clear out.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

beatlegs posted:

Yeah pretty much. Although, to be fair, I wouldn't have started a violent confrontation their either since its a bunch of cows. Since I'm assuming building a functional fence or something sensible is out of the question for the Government why not respond in the most childish way possible and take some military hardware for a spin on the property.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
The map on infowars shows the solar energy area they talk about as being on the other side of a Indian reservation from Bunkerville which is apparently where this farce is taking place.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Barudak posted:

Yeah pretty much. Although, to be fair, I wouldn't have started a violent confrontation their either since its a bunch of cows. Since I'm assuming building a functional fence or something sensible is out of the question for the Government why not respond in the most childish way possible and take some military hardware for a spin on the property.

This is rural Nevada, he's probably buzzed by every operational aircraft type in the USAF inventory already.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

This is rural Nevada, he's probably buzzed by every operational aircraft type in the USAF inventory already.

Less aircraft and more an excruciatingly scientific determination of various tanks ability to suppress cow insurgents in a non-urban setting.

Plan: Holstein

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
It will be interesting to see if this makes the rounds on the big talk shows this week, as some sort of patriotic victory of some constitutional right to use land that is owned by the government or something. The feds backed off when a bunch of dudes with guns showed up and started blocking roads, so maybe Obama and his jackbooted cronies can be defeated after all!

I wonder if the buzz from this apparent "win" is going to push some of these militia guys into further confrontations with federal authorities. It's sometimes easy to think, "what a bunch of nutjobs" but a bunch of people getting shot for having too much bravado (or using that to shoot other people) wouldn't be good for anyone.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm sure we just have to wait a couple standoffs for a militia dipshit to fire first.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
If conservatism ever comes to mean insurrection, it's over for the GOP. The fact that Alex Jones has a place in the modern GOP means they've lost their handle on things, have lost any semblance of coherency, and have started placing big bets on whatever they can find. The base are basically law&order types and they won't be able to reconcile that with any of this loving nuttiness. Good for generating energy, fatal for maintaining a lasting voter base.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's already been mentioned in the USA politics thread, but the feds are going to pick him up next time he's in town or something similar.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

agarjogger posted:

I don't think George Bush was ever the president of Iraq. And it's a shoe. Two notches above a pie, and more aerodynamic.

It was more because he embarassed Maliki than anything to do with Bush. Maliki is well on his way to dictatorship, having Zaydi beaten was just one of his baby steps.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I'm sure we just have to wait a couple standoffs for a militia dipshit to fire first.

They already covered that on Infowars. Everyone knows that the feds have infiltrators everywhere just waiting for the perfect opportunity to discredit the movement with a false flag attack. They didn't have an opportunity this time, but they're always there.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Phone posted:

It's already been mentioned in the USA politics thread, but the feds are going to pick him up next time he's in town or something similar.

It's hard to follow what I've seen where, but isn't that just (perhaps well-informed) speculation?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

beatlegs posted:

I guess now everybody knows how to show up at the next Occupy.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

They already covered that on Infowars. Everyone knows that the feds have infiltrators everywhere just waiting for the perfect opportunity to discredit the movement with a false flag attack. They didn't have an opportunity this time, but they're always there.

Well yeah, the kind of person already predisposed to believe that kind of bullshit would believe that, but they'd believe that no matter what.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Was there an official comment on why they stood down?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Was there an official comment on why they stood down?

The official reason was that the operation was a risk to public safety.

I guess someone realized that they were one gunshot away from a bloodbath on live TV.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thegameofpolitics/the-game-of-politics

http://www.thegameofpolitics.net/board.html

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The official reason was that the operation was a risk to public safety.

I guess someone realized that they were one gunshot away from a bloodbath on live TV.

Staring down 1000 nutjobs would have been about the dickwaviest way to address the situation. Just throw your hands up, say fine, let them disperse and then grab the guy in a week and throw him down a dark hole until his court date. Its a nice clear message too, "Want to show up with guns? Fine, you'll waste your gas money and we will just do what we were gonna once you leave. Guns don't win waiting games."

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Facebook's been on a roll today.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

I wonder how many of those photos he actually has licenses to.

And god drat that is one ugly game board.

edit: It's a jump to conclusions mat

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 13, 2014

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Typical Pubbie posted:

Facebook's been on a roll today.

I, too, find the militarization of police distressing.

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin
I heard a decent amount about the Cliven Bundy story this past week on the mid-tier radio shows, and it was interesting that the hosts generally weren't really supportive of him (although the callers definitely were). Laura Ingraham actually had him on to present his case, and he sounded exactly like a sovereign citizen nut-job. Roger Hedgecock was also pretty down on him. I wonder if they'll change their tune now that the feds stood down.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe

Azuth0667 posted:

Probably because they already had to prove they had an ID when they registered to vote so this is useless cumbersome redundancy that only serves to disenfranchise and inconvenience voters.
Funny, when I moved to Tennessee all I had to do to register to vote was to sign a form that boiled down to "Yup, I live in this state and county. Sure do, I promise!". Its almost as if you have no idea what you're talking about. Almost.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

BarkingSquirrel posted:

Funny, when I moved to Tennessee all I had to do to register to vote was to sign a form that boiled down to "Yup, I live in this state and county. Sure do, I promise!". Its almost as if you have no idea what you're talking about. Almost.

Where was this in TN, considering the states I know all require either a drivers/state ID number or your social security number.

edit: TN requires SSN.

esto es malo fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BarkingSquirrel posted:

You're objectively wrong, in basically every way. Everywhere requires, at least, your SSN and near everywhere needs id too.