Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Harry Privates posted:

If I buy someone's used Zelda Edition Wii U and they erase the console...will I lose that Zelda game?

No unless you also deleted the eShop account from the console. Doing a regular factory restore will keep the game licenses tied to the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Do they still keep all purchases tied to the system so if you lose your Wii or 3DS, you lose all of your digital games too? If so, has their been any rumbles in the news that they would switch it to tying the software to an account like Sony and Microsoft do? Because if not, that's dumb.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Exactly like the Wii or 3ds, yes. They're not changing it this generation because Nintendo.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

They can probably sort you out if you have a Nintendo Network ID tied to the system.

This comes up a lot and honestly how often do you lose $300 game consoles? I'd probably be more sore about having to replace it, I guess losing digital purchases would add to the loss but really I'd be more concerned about the former.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I had an Xbox 360 and a PS3 get stolen out of my dorm room over thanksgiving break, so it does happen. Ironically the thief left my wii, so I didn't lose my dozens of Virtual console/WiiWare games.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

jivjov posted:

I had an Xbox 360 and a PS3 get stolen out of my dorm room over thanksgiving break, so it does happen. Ironically the thief left my wii, so I didn't lose my dozens of Virtual console/WiiWare games.
I had X-Box games stolen, along with DS game cases (the carts were all in carry cases thankfully), but the thieves left my Gamecube games. :unsmith:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

They can probably sort you out if you have a Nintendo Network ID tied to the system.

This comes up a lot and honestly how often do you lose $300 game consoles? I'd probably be more sore about having to replace it, I guess losing digital purchases would add to the loss but really I'd be more concerned about the former.

Theft or the console breaking down (which can still screw you).

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Wii U Virtual Console in Japan is getting 10 more games over the next 2 weeks, including:

Castlevania III (NES)
Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Kirby's Nightmare in Dreamland (GBA)
Mario Tennis Advance (GBA)
Wario Land 4 (GBA)

Could be an indicator of what the US is getting in May? Just bear in mind Japan usually gets way better VC support than America does (their VC also has MSX and PC Engine games). But we might at least get a couple of those soon, and we do have Castlevanias 1 and 2 here.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's too bad, but understandable, when US gets Castlevania 3 it will be the inferior US version that had one less playable character, one of the playable characters nerfed to hell, and didn't have the awesome sound chip.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Minish Cap was dope business, so that'll be fun.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

greatn posted:

It's too bad, but understandable, when US gets Castlevania 3 it will be the inferior US version that had one less playable character, one of the playable characters nerfed to hell, and didn't have the awesome sound chip.

What? They didnt remove a character from the US version. They made the music worse and the game harder

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Gutcruncher posted:

What? They didnt remove a character from the US version. They made the music worse and the game harder

The music's great both ways, at least the first song is, but yeah Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse is inferior to Akumajo Densetsu if only because they made C3 harder for some reason. And the game was hard enough to begin with.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

irlZaphod posted:

I had X-Box games stolen, along with DS game cases (the carts were all in carry cases thankfully), but the thieves left my Gamecube games. :unsmith:

I hope they looked up GameCube gave prices later and kicked themselves.

edit: V Yeah, I just looked them up, and drat. They used to go for a lot more. V

Pomp fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 12, 2014

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Pomp posted:

I hope they looked up GameCube gave prices later and kicked themselves.

I'm selling a lot of my old Gamecube games at the moment and trust me, those thieves didn't miss much.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

RMZXAnarchy posted:

The music's great both ways, at least the first song is, but yeah Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse is inferior to Akumajo Densetsu if only because they made C3 harder for some reason. And the game was hard enough to begin with.

Konami liked to make the overseas versions of their games harder in those days, supposedly to prevent people from beating it in a single rental. Another example is Contra Hard Corps had health bars in Japan instead of one-hit kills.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Gutcruncher posted:

Konami liked to make the overseas versions of their games harder in those days, supposedly to prevent people from beating it in a single rental. Another example is Contra Hard Corps had health bars in Japan instead of one-hit kills.

To add to this, the American release of Battletoads is also harder for this reason, while the Japanese version is actually very beatable by comparison.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

bladeworksmaster posted:

To add to this, the American release of Battletoads is also harder for this reason, while the Japanese version is actually very beatable by comparison.
What, did Japan not have video rental stores?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

bladeworksmaster posted:

How are they different?

Also, the American version is easy up to the 11th level. Then it is pretty much impossible without save states.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The Japanese version fixed the glitch in that level where you are chased by the spiral thing where it is impossible to proceed in a two player game, for example.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Chaltab posted:

I recall hearing that rental stores are outright banned in Japan.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Chaltab posted:

Renting out video games is 100% banned in Japan, I visited maybe 50 different video rental stores while I lived in Japan and never once found games. Movies/TV can be rented out, but only special copies licensed for rental. Instead there's a huge secondhand market, which is part of why it's easy to find games in good quality there: got to maximize trade-in value.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Watch Dogs is apparently showing up as a fall release for Wii U, after it got delayed. Considering that the "real" versions are releasing at the end of May, that's not nearly as bad of a delay as I was expecting.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

bladeworksmaster posted:

Nah, the JP/EU versions were made easier as a response to the NA version's difficulty, it wasn't deliberate. It's not like the game suddenly turned into Ducktales or whatever, either, it's still quite tough.

Waltzing Along posted:

How are they different?

Also, the American version is easy up to the 11th level. Then it is pretty much impossible without save states.

They changed the tunnel section to be a little slower and removed most (all?) of the mid-air ramps, changed the routes the snakes and spike placement in the snake level, I think they slowed down the orb stage? Lots of little tweaks here and there.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

univbee posted:

Renting out video games is 100% banned in Japan

That said, renting a tall stack of audio CDs and bringing them all back two hours later is perfectly normal. Japan's a pretty weird country!

It's also worth mentioning that in the nineties Nintendo sued Blockbuster and tried to get game rentals banned in the States as well, on the basis that most stores were making photocopies of the instruction booklets. Nintendo was a really litigious company back in those days.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Sarchasm posted:

It's also worth mentioning that in the nineties Nintendo sued Blockbuster and tried to get game rentals banned in the States as well, on the basis that most stores were making photocopies of the instruction booklets. Nintendo was a really litigious company back in those days.

Is there a good book I can read about Nintendo?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bladeworksmaster posted:

Actually, the Japanese Famicom version has the difficulty in line with the US Genesis release. Presumably what happened there is they made it a bit easier for the later release after receiving feedback from users.

That's probably what happened with the Grant changes in Castlevania III, also. He was absurdly overpowered so they scaled him back to just being regularly overpowered.

pokeyman posted:

Is there a good book I can read about Nintendo?

There's several books about Nintendo but I'd hesitate to call any of them "good". The most prominent is Game Over.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Random Stranger posted:

There's several books about Nintendo but I'd hesitate to call any of them "good". The most prominent is Game Over.

Chris Kohler's "Power Up" is the only book I've ever read about the videogame industry but it definitely lived up to my nitpicky standards of what makes a good book. Well-written and exhaustively researched. (I met Chris once at a used games shop in Japan, he's a real nice guy to boot.)

Of course it's not about Nintendo so much as the Japanese videogame industry as a whole. That involves discussing Nintendo at length, as you'd imagine, but Nintendo's role diminishes in the latter part of the book when he begins to examine the CD-ROM era of gaming. Unfortunately the book is out of print and stupidly expensive on the secondhand market, but you can still find reasonably-priced copies if you're patient and do some legwork.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Thanks. I kinda figured there wasn't much, but I'll take a look at those.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Should I buy Super Mario World? I remember playing it on SNES back in the day. I think I finished it. I don't have fond memories, though. I have like 650 points.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
I'm an idiot and spent some of my gigantic backlog of Club Nintendo coins on Super Mario World, and I already have it.

So~

GONE GONE GONE enjoy :unsmith:

Please quote if you take it and not waste some poor goon's time. Pay it forward some day.

:v:

Dubious fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Apr 13, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Dubious posted:

I'm an idiot and spent some of my gigantic backlog of Club Nintendo coins on Super Mario World, and I already have it.

So~

A048-L5KN-15T7-N8A9

Please quote if you take it and not waste some poor goon's time. Pay it forward some day.

:v:

Taken. Thanks a whole bunch!

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Waltzing Along posted:

Should I buy Super Mario World? I remember playing it on SNES back in the day. I think I finished it. I don't have fond memories, though. I have like 650 points.
Uh, are your memories of a distinctly anti-fond variety, or just that you don't remember much about it? If it's the latter, I'd say go for it, it's a game that's more fun if you don't go in knowing all the tricks and secrets. If it's the former, then time probably won't have changed the way you feel about it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Chaltab posted:

Uh, are your memories of a distinctly anti-fond variety, or just that you don't remember much about it? If it's the latter, I'd say go for it, it's a game that's more fun if you don't go in knowing all the tricks and secrets. If it's the former, then time probably won't have changed the way you feel about it.

I remember playing it. It was the game that game w/ the system, which I bought at launch. I vaguely remember finishing it. I remember more being frustrated by the obscurity of Drakken. I remember playing the Genesis more. Hockey.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm almost positive that SMW is a little more fun than Drakkhen.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Waltzing Along posted:

I'd be one to say no (I'm not particularly fond of most of the NES/SNES era Mario games), but considering that the Club Nintendo year is almost over, you'd be basically gambling. I grabbed Art Academy: First Semester. Fingers crossed for May!

If all else fails, I'll just dump some coins into my account and grab either the Pikmin tote or the Yoshi cloth.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
Storybundle currently features a gaming bundle. No Nintendo specific books, but definitely some quality titles.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nah, the JP/EU versions were made easier as a response to the NA version's difficulty, it wasn't deliberate. It's not like the game suddenly turned into Ducktales or whatever, either, it's still quite tough.

They changed the tunnel section to be a little slower and removed most (all?) of the mid-air ramps, changed the routes the snakes and spike placement in the snake level, I think they slowed down the orb stage? Lots of little tweaks here and there.

Clinger Winger (the orb stage) definitely isn't slower :suicide:. One thing I know that was changed is they removed the floating log sections from Volkmire's Inferno and just added more regular platforms. Pretty sure Turbo Tunnel's identical to the US version as well, iirc the change is in the Japanese version where they added ramps to the stretch of platforms you have to manually jump.

I still can't believe I managed to beat that loving game.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Clinger Winger (the orb stage) definitely isn't slower :suicide:.

It definitely is. The entire game in general is slower.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I still can't believe I managed to beat that loving game.

I beat it using an emulator. On the original NES I could get to the clinger winger every time without even getting hit once. Essentially perfect play throughs. And then I would die repeatedly. Eventually I stopped playing because it seemed impossible. I never tried with a joystick but with the NES controller, it was undoable. I wasn't making any progress either. It was just death death death. Death death death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I could barely beat Clinger Winger using god drat save states.

• Locked thread