Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Someone make the matchday thread so I can moan about Villa's lovely defensive line-up against Palace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

Frankston posted:

Someone make the matchday thread so I can moan about Villa's lovely defensive line-up against Palace.

First to mention it has to post it, get typing mate!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Matchday thread

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Wrong thread

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Don't forget the time Liverpool fans organised a massive campaign to get a violent thug out of prison on the basis that he was scouse and that the man who'd been left with permanent brain damage wasn't scouse at all, and was in fact foreign.

Legitimately despicable.
Let's not forget you'd be arguing his innocence if you'd have been born 10 years earlier or so!

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
My desire to see Pardew go has finally overtaken my fear of whatever boneheaded replacement Ashley will appoint. The man is abysmal. :gonk:

Sadly Ashley's unlikely to care as long as we're under no threat of relegation, so it's a pointless hope, but I hope he's gone by summer.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Who is going to work under the contract Ashley wants though? Pardew did it because he was out of a job so I imagine it would be the same for the manager. Clipboard Chris back in :haw:

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Whats Glenn Roeder up to?

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Its probably about time for Keegan to have another go isn't it?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Blue Screen Error posted:

Its probably about time for Keegan to have another go isn't it?

We've got a bit to go, there were 6 full time managers between his first and second stints.

If you don't count Shearer, we're only up to 3!

Edit: I also looked it up and Roeder had almost the same win percentage as Robson

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Didn't catch the Fulham-Norwich game, how did Norwich play?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Deketh posted:

They were good and unlucky. If they had bought a competent striker instead of the Wolf they'd be safe by now

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Deketh posted:

We returned to the diamond we used in the Championship under Lambert. Looked better going forward than usual but were nervy and because of the formation we lacked width and didn't have the invention to create anything through a congested middle.

Stockdale pulled off two great saves and Snodgrass hit the bar with a free kick but really it was just another one of those days where we could have played all evening without scoring.

St Evan Echoes posted:

They were good and unlucky. If they had bought a competent striker instead of the Wolf they'd be safe by now

Hughton brought in 6 strikers during his reign and they scored 8 goals between them, his tactics halved Holt's scoring rate, made him want to leave and drove Morison to literal depression, even if we had a competent striker they would score gently caress all.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

They should have sacked Hughton 6 weeks ago by the looks of things. Will be sad to see you guys go, now where will Leeds players graduate to?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Can't believe Norwich lost that game. Crazy.

Btw if anyone is watching motd Ince and fowler are a new low. Apparently anyone who played for Liverpool at, Erm, any point, can, you know, can become a f-f-footy pundit even, even, if, if they, if, if they can't string a, you know, senten, er, sentence together.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Can't believe Norwich lost that game. Crazy.

Btw if anyone is watching motd Ince and fowler are a new low. Apparently anyone who played for Liverpool at, Erm, any point, can, you know, can become a f-f-footy pundit even, even, if, if they, if, if they can't string a, you know, senten, er, sentence together.
They're trying to show that Hansen and Shearer aren't so bad after all

Dekko
May 23, 2007
I dont understand how Lambert was so good at Norwich but has been so mind bogglingly bad at Villa.

The "you don't know what your doing" line gets trotted out a lot when teams and managers are struggling, but I think in this case it looks genuinely true.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

St Evan Echoes posted:

They're trying to show that Hansen and Shearer aren't so bad after all

Hansen at least has an entertaining "gently caress you" quality to his punditry.

And anything's better than Shearer.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Dekko posted:

I dont understand how Lambert was so good at Norwich but has been so mind bogglingly bad at Villa.

The "you don't know what your doing" line gets trotted out a lot when teams and managers are struggling, but I think in this case it looks genuinely true.

He's not been bad at Villa though really, he's doing as well as you'd expect results wise from a club that was in an a proper state when he took over and is now desperately trying to cut costs.

It is weird how his style of play has gone a bit backwards and his tactical versatility seems to have disappeared though.

Gene Ricman
Aug 14, 2008

tarbrush posted:

And anything's better than Shearer.

Except Keown.

pdog
May 7, 2013

Gene Ricman posted:

Except Keown.

I think I hate the Arsenal pundits more than anyone else, Keown is a poo poo and whenever Ian Wright is on ITV he just laughs a lot.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Villa's players are poo poo and the ones Lambert purchased are mostly injured. It all comes down to that. Being forced to play one of Clark and Baker is the worst. They are both awful. Ron Vlaar is the only good defender in our team and he's mediocre.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Charlie Adam is even uglier with that mask on, Jesus Christ

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

mynameisjohn posted:

Villa's players are poo poo and the ones Lambert purchased are mostly injured. It all comes down to that. Being forced to play one of Clark and Baker is the worst. They are both awful. Ron Vlaar is the only good defender in our team and he's mediocre.

I used to want Villa to get relegated as I find it funny when big(ish) clubs go down but I play football with a Villa supporter and he is both a really good dude and a great player so I kinda want them to do well now. I also quite like Lambert. You guys have been seriously hosed by injuries this season so it's actually pretty difficult to judge if Lambert is doing a decent job or there's been much in the way of progression. My mate gets frustrated with the change of formations all the time but is that more to do with injury issues or tinkering?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

8raz posted:

Let's not forget you'd be arguing his innocence if you'd have been born 10 years earlier or so!

It doesn't matter in the slightest who he supports, if some United fans went on a piss-up tour through Europe and decide to smash a paving slab over somebody's head for no reason other than that he was doing his job, they'd be welcome to go stay in prison for a very long time and I'd be utterly embarrassed if anyone from the club had anything to do with any campaign or fundraising on their behalf.

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

Ewar Woowar posted:

My mate gets frustrated with the change of formations all the time but is that more to do with injury issues or tinkering?

Mainly because of injuries or some of the players have a shocker and they don't deserve to play the next game.

Guzan, Vlaar, Delph, Benteke, Gabby are our only real starters.

Weimann has been horrible this season, Okore, Kozak and Benteke are all dead, and most of the other players are too inconsistent or just Bad At Football.

I can't see Betrand coming to us this Summer after what he's seen, despite the fact he could end up being a solid starter.

Dekko
May 23, 2007
The thing is, I don't think Villa have a particularly bad squad (I think Lambert actually has a good eye for players). Its certainly better than Palace and Fulham's, the difference being those two have managers who can organise a team and motivate them, which is why they've both done the double over us and looked comfortable in doing so.

Lambert doesn't have any kind of recognisable style of play that he's developed, aside from abandoning the passing, attacking football we finished last season with replacing it with Get It To The Big Lad. He approaches every single game the same way (sit back and counterattack) and looks stumped when we come up against a team that does the same. He doesn't make proactive substitutions, he waits until we're a goal down before taking off a creative player and putting on another Big Lad (normally Jordan Bowery, a guy who wasn't even scoring goals in League 2 when we bought him). Not even the players can tell what he's trying to do, they just run about a bit, no sense of discipline or organisation.

Its not all him though, the way the team can't hold on to the ball or pass accurately over 5 yards implies the coaches are poo poo as well.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

pdog posted:

I think I hate the Arsenal pundits more than anyone else, Keown is a poo poo and whenever Ian Wright is on ITV he just laughs a lot.

Dixon is good.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Dekko posted:

The thing is, I don't think Villa have a particularly bad squad (I think Lambert actually has a good eye for players). Its certainly better than Palace and Fulham's, the difference being those two have managers who can organise a team and motivate them, which is why they've both done the double over us and looked comfortable in doing so.

Lambert doesn't have any kind of recognisable style of play that he's developed, aside from abandoning the passing, attacking football we finished last season with replacing it with Get It To The Big Lad. He approaches every single game the same way (sit back and counterattack) and looks stumped when we come up against a team that does the same. He doesn't make proactive substitutions, he waits until we're a goal down before taking off a creative player and putting on another Big Lad (normally Jordan Bowery, a guy who wasn't even scoring goals in League 2 when we bought him). Not even the players can tell what he's trying to do, they just run about a bit, no sense of discipline or organisation.

Its not all him though, the way the team can't hold on to the ball or pass accurately over 5 yards implies the coaches are poo poo as well.

It's seriously shocking how incompetent we are at the very basics. This is a Premiership team and we literally struggle to make simple passes or retain possession. I don't know if it's the coaches or the players are just bad. Not only that but injuries seem to be sky-rocketing as well, just poor conditioning or bad luck? Very occasionally we pull out a great performance and look like top 6 material, but I've reached the point now where I think that those occasions are purely bizarre flukes and we are just a really lovely team from top to bottom - the owner, the staff, the coaches, Lambert and the players.

Our defence is woefully inexperienced and calamitous, thank god for Guzan. There's a reason he won our player of the year last season over Benteke. Baker and Clark are really awful and are not Premiership quality and if one or both of them is playing then I lose all confidence in any kind of result. I was thrilled when we signed Okore, absolutely gutted when he got injured for the season. The midfield is far too lightweight and can't tackle or pass. I don't know what's going on with our forwards. Benteke has had a poor season (by last year's standards) and ended up getting injured. Agbonlahor needs to go. His one attribute - speed - is disappearing and without that he's nothing. Weimann has had a woeful season. Kozak looked pretty promising but again, a bad injury.

I still don't think we'll get relegated but the fans are starting to turn on Lambert. It'll be interesting to see what he does over the summer.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

The fans should be turning on Lerner not Lambert imo

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Gabby is a good one on one finisher, better than for example england regular
Danny Welbeck

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard
Edit: wrong thread

Filthee Fingas fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Apr 13, 2014

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Subtle

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

It doesn't matter in the slightest who he supports, if some United fans went on a piss-up tour through Europe and decide to smash a paving slab over somebody's head for no reason other than that he was doing his job, they'd be welcome to go stay in prison for a very long time and I'd be utterly embarrassed if anyone from the club had anything to do with any campaign or fundraising on their behalf.
I agree but if it makes you feel morally superior to pretend that I don't then good for you!

Dekko
May 23, 2007

Blue Screen Error posted:

The fans should be turning on Lerner not Lambert imo

I think Lerner deserves a lot of stick too, but it isn't him who picks the team, formation and tactics. Even if we ignore the two terrible league seasons - in Lambert's tenure we've been knocked out of the FA cup by Millwall, followed by Sheffield United. We lost a two legged semi final to a league 2 club - in the second leg we were taking them apart for the first hour, they couldn't handle crosses in to Benteke from out wide, and it was only luck and good goalkeeping that meant we were 1-0 up instead of 4. They got a flukey equaliser, and instead of carrying on as we were, he took off our most creative player for another Big Lad, and ended the game with our defenders punting long balls up the pitch to 4 strikers stood still in the penalty area, we barely created another chance. That sort of thing wasn't an isolated incident either.

A lack of investment can explain struggling in the league. Things like the above are down to poo poo management and poo poo coaching.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Lambert had a variety of players at Norwich that allowed him to change tactics and formation quite a bit that he just doesn't have at Villa. He plays a counter attack system at Villa because that's the best system for the players at his disposal. Lerner hasn't invested in the squad since O'Neill left.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Subtitles of what Gerrard said in the huddle at the end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBh_KRi-yCE

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

Hoops posted:

I hope he didn't mean comedy defending when he said exactly the same.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Hoops posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBh_KRi-yCE

I think he said "this is done," not "this is gone."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rats off to ya
Jul 22, 2008

Will Pellegrini get the axe if City finish third?

• Locked thread