Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

AYC posted:

Politics is not about the best option, but about the least damaging one.

This is true but the Obama administration seems to be unwilling to do even the most minor and uncontroversial things to slowly head in the direction of legalization. Watching this video I can't really come away with any other conclusion then that Holder or Obama really think marijuana should be schedule one, its just baffling to me. Especially since Obama and Holder both know exactly how much the drug war harms the black community, yet they stand there and cheer it on as hard as they can.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/04/eric-holder-marijuana-debate-105505.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Wealthy Community > Black Community

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

prom candy posted:

Wealthy Community > Black Community

Actually old people>everyone else.

They're not going to do anything that would potentially cost Democrats an election. Marijuana legalization just became supported by a majority of the population in the past 2-3 years, but that doesn't translate into the voting population. I still think Obama will do something in the last 2 years of his presidency when it's obviously not a concern to him anymore and Democrats don't have to worry about elections from it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Amused to Death posted:

I still think Obama will do something in the last 2 years of his presidency when it's obviously not a concern to him anymore and Democrats don't have to worry about elections from it.
Glad to see this argument still exists, Political Capital and playing 9 dimensional chess, the Obama Story.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
I got a laugh out of that, too. "In two years" is the new "Friedman Unit". Nevermind that the very best time for Obama to do anything was when he had friendly majorities in both Houses (i.e. right after he got elected). And during that time Obama did almost nothing at all. The excuse was that in two years, the Democrats will have even larger majorities and then things can start happening. When the Dems got routed two years later, we had to wait two years because the Dems didn't want to lose a presidential election. After winning that election pretty handily, we're now waiting another two years to see if Obama's going to be a lame duck, and after the 2014 elections I'm sure we'll have to wait two more years because...

Also nevermind that the last second stuff that two-term presidents usually do are special pardons (Reagan, Clinton, Bush), executive orders that have no binding on subsequent administrations (Bush), and other gift and graft. Obama's not going to agitate for brandd new legislation starting in 2014.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
There was absolutely no reason politically to do anything with marijuana in 2008. California's proposition wouldn't fail for another two years and that was the major momentum on that until Washington & Colorado.

Also this:

McDowell posted:

Obama understandably doesn't want his major achievement as the first black president to be 'weed'.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 13, 2014

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Obama also has the most obstructionist congress any president has ever faced because we're a country of racists.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

This Jacket Is Me posted:

executive orders that have no binding on subsequent administrations

I think we've established that he can reschedule with an executive order (but the guy who follows him could reverse it easily). Obama understandably doesn't want his major achievement as the first black president to be 'weed'.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I think his major achievement is health care reform. Descheduling would just be a footnote.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think his major achievement is health care reform. Descheduling would just be a footnote.

At this point, yes.

But people are saying he should/would have done it day one.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
I was talking more generally, not just about marijuana.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I was talking more generally, not just about marijuana.

Then you also have to remember that he hardly had "a friendly majority".

Remember, during the ACA passage he had 20-30 Dems in the House side with the Republicans.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
Which was not significant. The Dems were 79 seats up in the House at the time. You could not have asked for a more favoralbe political environment.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Which was not significant. The Dems were 79 seats up in the House at the time. You could not have asked for a more favoralbe political environment.

I'm looking at the final vote and it only passed by seven votes in the House, so I may have understated the difference.

Also remember that this was the watered down bill, and it still only passed by seven votes (in the Senate it was right at the 60 vote mark, which included Lieberman).

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
If something cannot pass despite having the presidency, +79 seats in the House and +16 seats in the Senate, then it's hardly the fault of an unfriendly Congress. It's the fault of the party at large not actually wanting to do something. When was the last time the government was so thoroughly dominated by a single party?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

If something cannot pass despite having the presidency, +79 seats in the House and +16 seats in the Senate, then it's hardly the fault of an unfriendly Congress.
Only if your definition of friendly is "has the same letter next to their name".

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.
Well, lookit that. We've got a weed vending machine.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/04/13/302551086/marijuana-vending-machine-unveiled-in-colorado

Japan, eat your heart out. :fap:

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't see that thing lasting more than a month. The cities are going to want someone actually behind the counter.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

AYC posted:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/04/13/302551086/marijuana-vending-machine-unveiled-in-colorado

Haha holy poo poo the expression on the face of the guy in the lead image. :q:

BobTheFerret
Nov 10, 2003
Angry for coins

TACD posted:

Haha holy poo poo the expression on the face of the guy in the lead image. :q:

That guy in that exact image was used on day 1 of legalization, and I was convinced he would become the face of marijuana legalization. It perfectly captures the essence of unchained reefer madness.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

ColoradoCleric posted:

I don't see that thing lasting more than a month. The cities are going to want someone actually behind the counter.
Goddamnit read the article before typing nonsense. Designed to be used for MMJ patients only inside of dispensaries as a self-checkout unit.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Aren't the weed vending machines old news? I remember reading about a California one in like, 2007. Pretty sure it was a bunch of machines guarded by a security guard for late-night dispensing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Vending machines are actually somewhat common for "undesirable" products like this, because at least in theory it makes it harder for someone to steal the weed/alcohol/whatever other thing, as well as making it much more difficult to cheat tracking stuff with an under-the-table transaction.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.
http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/2014/04/14/maryland-medical-marijuana-law-omalley/7702385/

Maryland has officially decriminalized marijuana.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

I think more importantly, they made medical marijuana legal and will have dispensaries.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

AYC posted:

i cannot think of any method by which this would be legal under colorado law

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

TenementFunster posted:

i cannot think of any method by which this would be legal under colorado law

Put it inside a weed shop and outfit it with an ID scanner?

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

http://www.policymic.com/articles/87383/3-months-later-here-s-what-denver-looks-like-since-legalizing-marijuana

Crime rates are down compared to last year in Denver.

Of course correlation =/= causation and it'd be silly to attribute the declining crime rate with marijuana legalization. It does, however, demonstrate that legalizing marijuana does not necessarily lead to an increase in crime.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

snorch posted:

Put it inside a weed shop and outfit it with an ID scanner?

So couldn't a non-medicinal patient just come in and use it with someone else's card?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ColoradoCleric posted:

So couldn't a non-medicinal patient just come in and use it with someone else's card?

Can't that happen today? Are you regularly interrogated if your picture doesn't look exactly like you? Couldn't a medicinal patient buy weed then give it to someone else? Could people somehow get weed even without following any of the laws?

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/15/eric-holder-marijuana-legalization_n_5148663.html

Eric Holder is "cautiously optimistic", but doesn't want to reschedule marijuana without Congress. Which, since the GOP controls the House, won't happen for another few years.

Incidentally, Michele Leonheart is now one of my least favorite government officials.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

AYC posted:

http://www.policymic.com/articles/87383/3-months-later-here-s-what-denver-looks-like-since-legalizing-marijuana

Crime rates are down compared to last year in Denver.

Of course correlation =/= causation and it'd be silly to attribute the declining crime rate with marijuana legalization. It does, however, demonstrate that legalizing marijuana does not necessarily lead to an increase in crime.

If crime had increased however, it would totally be because of weed.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Powercrazy posted:

Can't that happen today? Are you regularly interrogated if your picture doesn't look exactly like you? Couldn't a medicinal patient buy weed then give it to someone else? Could people somehow get weed even without following any of the laws?

Yes all the possibilities could happen which is why dispensaries don't sell to people unless they match whats on the card. Typically they'll also ask you for ID.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ColoradoCleric posted:

Yes all the possibilities could happen which is why dispensaries don't sell to people unless they match whats on the card. Typically they'll also ask you for ID.

Whether or not someone could potentially get weed illegally isn't the reason the weed vending machine is illegal. I'm sure TF has a few specific reasons why it is currently illegal, but I don't know the details of Colorado Weed law. I will assume that even a perfect ID scanner won't make the vending machine legal.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Powercrazy posted:

Whether or not someone could potentially get weed illegally isn't the reason the weed vending machine is illegal. I'm sure TF has a few specific reasons why it is currently illegal, but I don't know the details of Colorado Weed law. I will assume that even a perfect ID scanner won't make the vending machine legal.

I'm just saying that a vending machine isn't going to fly to well with the cities because a vending machine isn't going closely scrutinize whether someone looks like the ID it just scanned. This opens it up to the direct possibility of someone getting weed illegally.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
That's why you put the vending machine only in locations accessible to those 21 and over, like a bar, or a dispensary.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

That's why you put the vending machine only in locations accessible to those 21 and over, like a bar, or a dispensary.

So then whats the point if you're already putting it in a spot where it needs to be supervised and it just increases your liability?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ColoradoCleric posted:

So then whats the point if you're already putting it in a spot where it needs to be supervised and it just increases your liability?

Why would it need to be supervised?

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Why would it need to be supervised?

So you don't have people who give their card and ID to someone else so they can purchase it illegally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Why are weed vending machines even desirable? We got rid of cigarette vends and we don't have booze vends. It just seems like a great way to have your identity stolen, like using a bitcoin ATM.

• Locked thread