Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Welp, I've gone and beaten Nemesis and Penance and I go and check my Vita's trophy list, only to find that it didn't register me as doing any of that.

THANKS FFXHD. gently caress YOU TOO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Serpent Eating the Horizon begs to differ. :colbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLBTIUzPpEQ

I love it when like climax themes end up incorporating character themes into it somehow, it's the best.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Baram posted:

I put together this list of stuff to grab before I did the backtracking.. I'm pretty sure it's all the 'major' stuff.

code:
Macalania Woods:
-Jecht Sphere (Woods South)

Thunder Plains:
-Jecht Sphere (South (East Area))

Moonflow:
-Sign Miyu (Defender) (North Wharf)
-Jecht Sphere (South Wharf)

Djose Temple: 
-Sign Kyou (Defender) (Left Bridge)

Mushroom Rock Road:
-Jecht Sphere (Precipice by Elevator)

Mi'ihen Highroad:
-Jecht Sphere (Southernmost End of Old Road)

Mi'ihen Agency:
-Sign Ropp (MF/Defender)

Luca:
-Sign Wedge (Near Stadium (Forward))
-Sign Jumal (Near Fountain (GK))
-Jecht Sphere (Stadium Basement (Outside Auroch's Locker Room))

S.S. Liki:
-Jecht Sphere (Bridge)

Besaid Village:
-Jecht Sphere (Near Temple)
-Valefor's Second Limit (Talk to Shopkeep girl, then talk to Dog in NE Residence)

This is the first time I've played X, and I just beat Spherimorph. This seems like an enormous distance to backtrack. Is anything particularly worth it? I know you get an airship in the game, can I just zip back to these parts later?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Great Lakes Log posted:

This is the first time I've played X, and I just beat Spherimorph. This seems like an enormous distance to backtrack. Is anything particularly worth it? I know you get an airship in the game, can I just zip back to these parts later?

The Besaid items are both protected by a superboss by the time you get the airship. Also, the Jecht Spheres give Auron better overdrives.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Also make sure to get tidus's sun sigil in zanarkand as soon as you can. Because if you leave it there and come back for it later, it is guarded by a superboss.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Saigyouji posted:

The Besaid items are both protected by a superboss by the time you get the airship. Also, the Jecht Spheres give Auron better overdrives.

That seems real dumb.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
Dark Valefor is easier than BFA and every Original Monster Arena boss.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

The Jecht Spheres are nice to get Auron his other Overdrives much earlier but I wouldn't really call anything you backtrack for super important. Making sure you get all the Destruction Sphere chests on your storyline visits to the temple is bigger.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I was bored so I did it again just for funsies

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
With the PS4 version of FF14 coming out I wonder if they'll have a sale on the CE. I know it's had 50% off sales before, though I guess doing a sale now could risk people buying it for PC instead of full price on PS4. I think I've heard enough good about it to try it.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I find it a little bit amazing and a little bit precious and kinda sorta sad and did I mention a little bit amazing that FFXHD watermarks all of its Vita screenshots with not only the standard ©20xx Square Enix disclaimer - a legally understandable though irritating and ultimately futile caveat - but also with "Character Design: Tetsuya Nomura".

I mean, seriously now. They judged this to be of equal importance to the copyright notice for the entire work.

Golden Lumber
May 30, 2013
Got the sun sigil! Having never got it before my heart dropped like a rock when she only gave me a turbo ether. Then I pressed x and she gave me the sigil too yay! I guess this is what getting 0.00 feels like.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Instant Grat posted:

How do you get those screens?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

How do you get those screens?

If you mean taking the screenshots, it's built into the Vita (Home+Start), though some games disable it (PS1/PSP games, UMVC3).

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

kirbysuperstar posted:

If you mean taking the screenshots, it's built into the Vita (Home+Start), though some games disable it (PS1/PSP games, UMVC3).

Guess I should have read the manual. Thanks!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Jesus, I just ran into a difficulty spike in Lightning Returns bigger than the loving Aggro Crag. Am I supposed to be in this cemetery right now? I'm only on Day 2.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Oxxidation posted:

Jesus, I just ran into a difficulty spike in Lightning Returns bigger than the loving Aggro Crag. Am I supposed to be in this cemetery right now? I'm only on Day 2.

If you've done the Luxerion story to this point and have some side quests and Canvas of Prayer quests done, then yes, you're in the right spot. Just avoid the random enemies until like day 5 or so and you're good.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Oxxidation posted:

The enemies in there are tough, yeah, just avoid them and head straight to the main boss.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I just got to the Tidus/Yuna scene in Macalania (after escaping from Bevelle). It was a nice scene and all, but during it I could only think 'oh, guys, come on, Kimahri's like, right there!'

I started laughing unreasonably hard when the camera panned over to him during their conversation after.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

Instant Grat posted:

drat you... :smith:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I dunno if I should be asking about this here, but given we've talked it about before is there anything I should know about Wild Arms 1 before playing it?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Orgia Carnaval posted:

I dunno if I should be asking about this here, but given we've talked it about before is there anything I should know about Wild Arms 1 before playing it?

Been ages since I played but I do remember that you should experiment with Cecilia's Mystic, you can choose any item you don't have equipped with it in battle and it'll always have a different effect. Using it with a healing item for example will heal the whole party and IIRC equippable items aren't consumed by it at all so you can get their effects repeatedly. It's extremely useful throughout the game.

Also be prepared for a bunch of pretty tough puzzles, the game has a lot more of them than your average RPG. A lot of people get stumped as early as Cecilia's tutorial scenario so in case that happens to you here's a small hint: Check behind the two statues.

There's also a thread meant specifically for asking for advice before playing games here.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Occupation posted:

At college a couple of weeks ago I watched a guy finally get 0.00 on catcher Chocobo, twice (the first time he didn't have the celestial mirror), amid much much swearing, then triumphantly paraded his vita around screaming "I did it! gently caress the loving CHOCOBO RACES!"

Then he stumbled onto dark magus sisters and died

He hadn't saved in that time

SAVE EARLY, SAVE OFTEN, TRY TO NEVER OVERWRITE SAVES

The three saving rules in RPGs. With FFXHD I actually maxed out the amount of saves allowed (200) and finally had to start overwriting my first ones.

I have done this ever since Final Fantasy Tactics showed me how bad using one save slot can be.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Dr. Eldarion posted:

The three saving rules in RPGs. With FFXHD I actually maxed out the amount of saves allowed (200) and finally had to start overwriting my first ones.

I have done this ever since Final Fantasy Tactics showed me how bad using one save slot can be.

You should've saved yourself the trouble and not played FFT. Ha HA! :smug:

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Serpent Eating the Horizon begs to differ. :colbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLBTIUzPpEQ

Bravely Default is such a weird game to me; I adored all of the combat mechanics, the job system and job building was stellar, the characters were (with a couple of notable exceptions) all great, and the ending was absolutely fantastic, plus db does the thing I love about NieR (the greatest game SE has ever made) in that a bunch of gameplay mechanics turn out to be plot essential but boy oh boy oh boy do I never ever want to play that loving game ever again

As soon as I finished I sold it to buy xiii-2 and I didn't regret it at all. The games high points are just absolutely ruined by its many, many low points that's I could never envision ever playing it more than once

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 13, 2014

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ed: double post whoops

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Occupation posted:

You should've saved yourself the trouble and not played FFT. Ha HA! :smug:

Look at dis guy and his bad video game tastes. I bet you liked FF8. :colbert:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Look at dis guy and his bad video game tastes. I bet you liked FF8. :colbert:

I would respond but I don't have my dinner theatre Shakespeare costume and terribly overwritten dialog on

And/or I would respond but I'm too busy throwing rocks at myself

And/or I would respond but I'm too busy parsing horribly translated engrish

Also yes I like the best ps1 ff, what of it

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lot of bad opinions in the FF thread, very fitting for the worst video game series.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Occupation posted:

He said VIII, not IX.

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics is the only FF I have ever kept multiple saves on, after getting wiped too many times and barely being able to get past certain points. God am I glad for that, or I would have been completely hosed with that Belius/Wiegraf fight. First time I played it, I honestly thought it was supposed to be unwinnable, and then I saw the game over screen.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

morallyobjected posted:

He said VIII, not IX.

You people always have the weirdest ways of spelling "VII".

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Chocobo Racing doesn't have any numbers in it so yall are wicked lousy at typing.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
What if

every game is the best in the series?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Kanfy posted:

What if

Don't be absurd.

We wouldn't be able to cope if that was true.

Remember this sage advice;
"All the games are equally worse, but some games are worse than others."
\

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 13, 2014

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Kanfy posted:

What if

The best game is coming from inside the house.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kanfy posted:

What if

nigga you trippin. trippin hard

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Kanfy posted:

What if

Even... XIII? :tinfoil:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Krad posted:

Even... XIII? :tinfoil:

Especially XIII.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Occupation posted:

I would respond but I don't have my dinner theatre Shakespeare costume and terribly overwritten dialog on

And/or I would respond but I'm too busy throwing rocks at myself

And/or I would respond but I'm too busy parsing horribly translated engrish

Straight up, VIII continues to be one of my favorite RPGs.

Sometimes I feel like the only person around here who loves VIII and hate hate hates IX.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Epi Lepi posted:

Straight up, VIII continues to be one of my favorite RPGs.

Sometimes I feel like the only person around here who loves VIII and hate hate hates IX.

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
You should trust your feelings.