Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

every kid likes dinosaurs

Not me, dinosaurs were just bones and dirt. Young me knew space is where it was at :smuggo:

Clochette posted:

I can't wait until someone tells this snowflake that Asperger's doesn't actually give you higher intelligence. And why does being an autistic girl make you blessed with suck as opposed to being an autistic boy?

Obviously because the telos of eros of reproduction means that the lack of social skills for the female of the species is a detriment as opposed to being a boon for the male.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Ninjasaurus posted:

Were they museums for painted art or did you love dinosaurs like the rest of us?

Dinosaurs (at the Museum of Nature) was one year, Science and Tech museum another, then one at the Musée des Civilisations. Oh, and the Aerospace Museum and the Agriculture museum, where we got to pet calves and horses and goats, and huge old bull called Goody who really liked being patted on his head. Ottawa is a poo poo town for entertainment in many ways, but it does have a lot of museums.

Enough gloating about my childhood though. Let's see what the random trope button gives me

VVVV Yeah, the museums are fun. I should say that. It's just other things that this town is bad for. Probably comes from being populated predominantly with civil servants.

Political Whores fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 13, 2014

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Little Blackfly posted:

Dinosaurs (at the Museum of Nature) was one year, Science and Tech museum another, then one at the Musée des Civilisations. Oh, and the Aerospace Museum and the Agriculture museum, where we got to pet calves and horses and goats, and huge old bull called Goody who really liked being patted on his head. Ottawa is a poo poo town for entertainment in many ways, but it does have a lot of museums.

that sounds pretty nice honestly :shrug:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Aspergers is something that's easy to self diagnose and a good way to make yourself a special snowflake.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Little Blackfly posted:

Really happy that I never got into comics as a kid. SA has taught me that my own nerdery of having birthday parties at museums was perhaps the most benign form of nerd childhood I could have. At least it never came close to giving me a socially cripling sexual fetish or insane obsession with unspeakably awful fandoms.

Honestly, a birthday at a museum is pretty sweet.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I had a birthday party at a museum as a little kid but I've always taken it as a sign that I'm a nerd that that was the only birthday party (with more present than my immediate family) that I've ever had. :ohdear:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Little Blackfly posted:

VVVV Yeah, the museums are fun. I should say that. It's just other things that this town is bad for. Probably comes from being populated predominantly with civil servants.

The Aerospace Museum is badass. They've got a Lancaster bomber you can look inside. Ottawa isn't *bad* for entertainment, but it certainly isn't set up in a way that makes it easily accessible. It's all crammed into tiny spaces with lovely infrastructure, like downtown, or its far out in the middle of nowhere and hard to get to. I haven't been to the Museum of Nature for years, but didn't they completely revamp the Dinosaur exhibit?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 13, 2014

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Aerospace Museum is badass. They've got a Lancaster bomber you can look inside. Ottawa isn't *bad* for entertainment, but it certainly isn't set up in a way that makes it easily accessible. It's all crammed into tiny spaces with lovely infrastructure. I haven't been to the Museum of Nature for years, but didn't they completely revamp the Dinosaur exhibit?

Yeah, it's really nice now, they've really updated it to be more scientifically accurate than the sort of jungle primeval thing they had before.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Aww, I liked the jungle setup. Oh well, at least the Albertosaurus exhibit will be around forever.

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.
For my 21st birthday, my dad and I got drunk and went to the Titanic exhibit/museum at the Luxor. Honestly I think I'd love for every one of my birthdays in the future to involve going to museums. Museums kick rear end.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

CommanderCoffee posted:

For my 21st birthday, my dad and I got drunk and went to the Titanic exhibit/museum at the Luxor. Honestly I think I'd love for every one of my birthdays in the future to involve going to museums. Museums kick rear end.

Going to DC is great since almost all the museums are free, even though I've gone every couple of years since I was like 6 I still get really excited when I go to the aerospace museum.

For content, I did find this, and I have no idea what this page would be used for. From what I can tell, it's just a giant list of what a number could possibly mean, only that's not what a motif is, so why call it a numerological motif? It's worse than useless as a writing resource since the page doesn't give step by step instructions for how writers tropers should use them in their "works" like most of the other pages and has no examples. I guess some troper just really likes numbers

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.

Don Gato posted:

Going to DC is great since almost all the museums are free, even though I've gone every couple of years since I was like 6 I still get really excited when I go to the aerospace museum.

For content, I did find this, and I have no idea what this page would be used for. From what I can tell, it's just a giant list of what a number could possibly mean, only that's not what a motif is, so why call it a numerological motif? It's worse than useless as a writing resource since the page doesn't give step by step instructions for how writers tropers should use them in their "works" like most of the other pages and has no examples. I guess some troper just really likes numbers

Being a university student near the Natural History Museum of LA County means that I get free admission there. Plus California Science Center is open to the public for no charge, and that has a shuttle.

In response to your content:

LOOK AT ME I'M SO WITTY! posted:

42 - The Answer To Life, The Universe And Everything. Interestingly, it's also the product of 7x6, 3x14 and 2x21.

Other things 42 is:
-Unlucky in Japan (When pronounced separately, like four-two, it becomes shi ni, or 'unto death')
-Number of laws Ma'at requires you to follow in Egyptian religion
-The number God used to create the universe in Kabbalah tradition
-42 is the number of generations in (gospel of) Matthew's genealogy of Jesus
-42 months is how long the Beast of 666 will hold control of the Earth, according to Revelations
-One of the names of God is 42 letters and is referred to as "the forty-two lettered name"
-Lewis Carrol loved the number 42, used it all the time in his work

But no, skim over the holy connotations and completely ignore Lewis Carrol. 42 was first used by Douglas Adams and anyone else is a copycat.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

MAn, that page led me to Four is Death, which in addition to talking about the actual East Asian belief, also includes a bunch of random instances where 4 happened to appear somewhere, or where it didn't

quote:

In Black Lagoon, Roanapur is controlled by four criminal organisations - the Triads, the Russian Mafiya, the Italian Mafia, and a Columbian drug cartel.

The four Dark Judges in Judge Dredd — Judge Mortis, Judge Fire, Judge Fear, and Judge Death.

In The Last Spartan, Wrex actually says four is considered a lucky number among Krogans. Krogans, incidentally, hail from Tuchanka. - Fan work

Shutter features a horror sequence where the protagonist is running down a series of stairs. No matter how many flights he goes down, it's always level 4. Creeeepy.

House of Leaves has a lot of this: the Navidsons put four locks on the door leading to the scary parts of the house; the house is explored in teams of three with one person remaining behind to man the radios; there are four members of Will Navidson's nuclear family; there are four Exploration videos; and lots of little things peppered throughout the text.

A variant in Harry Potter, of all things: J. K. Rowling admits that she's always disliked the number four, finding something cold and unpleasant about it. When coming up for an address for Harry's abusive Muggle Foster Parents, she settled on 4 Privet Drive.

In the episode "Phantom Traveler" of Supernatural, planes keep crashing after 40 minutes of their departure. Later it is even mentioned that this is because four is a "biblical number" and "means death" (Noah's ark and the forty days of flooding given as an example). Hell, the episode itself is the fourth episode of the show ever! On top of this, try to guess what's the number of the gate the last plane takes off? Talk about numerological motifs! (A link to the original page)

The fourth track on Coldplay's Viva La Vida—their fourth full-length album—is "42." All of its lyrics explicitly reference death, ghosts, and the afterlife, and it's almost exactly four minutes long. That's four 4s. There's no way this is a coincidence, but good luck getting them to cop to it.

Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 have the four evil Chaos Gods, omnicidal eldritch creatures that feed on emotions and mess around with the real world for the lulz. They are the main antagonists of both settings. 40k also has the four C'Tan, the material gods of the Necrons, though those have been broken into pieces and can be used like forces of nature in weapon form.

The first wave of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles action figures only had four Foot clan characters.

Mega Man Zero's Four Guardians of Master X, who served as X's generals and bodyguards. They would later become good guys of a sort — but not before Phantom self-destructed, reducing their number to three, which, in turn, changed the stature to Rule of Three — he was the only general without a dominant element or weakness to another element.

Averted, due to resource limitations, in Mega Man X2. The X-Hunters were supposed to have a fourth, female member, but neither she nor Violen's second form made it into the game.

The four bosses at the end of Street Fighter II are Balrog, Vega, Sagat, and M. Bison, who form the "Four Devas" of Shadaloo (although this is downplayed in the later games, as the series introduced more members to the organization; Sagat also canonically left the organization prior to Street Fighter II, although this story element wasn't presented until Alpha 3 and at the time they were just including him as a boss to throw back to the original Street Fighter).

In Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia, the Incredible Machine atop Altru Tower normally has three power levels, the highest of which allows it to hypnotize Pokémon from a radius of 500 miles. The Big Bad, after he unleashes Darkrai, pushes the Incredible Machine one level further: Level "Dark", which supposedly has more than enough power for him to assert complete control over the legendary Shadow Pokémon...or so he thinks.

And there's the Go-Rock Quad from the original Pokémon Ranger game.

In The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, there are six coral reefs, known as One-, Two-, Three-, Four-, Five- and Six-Eyed Reefs. Four-Eyed Reef is the closest to Forsaken Fortress, which serves as the base of operations of the Big Bad. In addition, Forsaken Fortress itself is the fourth dungeon in the game,note completion-wise, while being the first appearance-wise and the fourth Triforce fragment is retrieved after finding the chart that lies inside the Ghost Ship.

The four main bosses in Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots are The Beauty and the Beast Corps, a group of women suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder due to the horrors of war that were turned into literal war machines.

In Wild ARMs, the leaders of the Demon army are called the Quarter Knights. Wild AR Ms 2 follows this up with a four-member Recurring Boss squad known as Cocytus, who become the party's main antagonists for the first half of the game.

In World of Warcraft players in the pandaren race's Noob Cave will be repeatedly greeted by Jojo Ironbrow, who is known for being strong enough to break anything with his head. He shows up 3 times and is able to break wood, bamboo, and stone, so after that your character will expect him to be able to break a statue of solid jade, but when he does so he only ends up hurting himself.

8-Bit Theater, as noted on its page, has the four Light Warriors (the protagonists and the worst thing to happen to the world), the four Fiends (some of the few actually dangerous enemies) and the four orbs to go with them (which are being used by the Big Bad for some diabolical purpose), the four Dark Warriors (a group of Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain characters), the four Other Warriors (inspired by Dungeons & Dragons classes), and the four real Light Warriors (making four warrior groups total). In addition, the average strip is four rows long.

The dreaded Error 404 page.

On The Simpsons (Kang and Kodos describing an island shaped like a skull) "That looks just like our number four!"

On SpongeBob SquarePants, one of Mr. Krabs's stories involves a person who liked to make funny faces, most enjoyably sticking his tongue out. After doing it 444 times, he couldn't get it back in until most of it crumbled off of him.

In the standard reading of Tarot decks, number four in the minor suits typically signify stagnation or stalling. A common image for the Four of Swords shows a man lying as though dead on a stone bier, just to give you an idea.

The 9/11 attacks were essentially four coordinated airplane hijackings and suicide attacks.

When used in Asian media, the Dangerous Sixteenth Birthday trope has extra resonance due to 16 being 4 times 4.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I like how you can tell that they didn't actually read the H2G2 series because they leave out the math problem that's the question 42 is answering.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Reactionary Fantasy posted:

• The popularity of Dating Sims, Magical Girlfriend anime, and cute submissive moe girls among male otaku could be connected to the rise of feminism and female independence in Japan. There's been a rising trend of young Japanese men being unable to deal with the prospect of dating real women and instead turning to fictional idealized 2D women like those found in moe shows and dating games.
  • This is also believed to have something to do with shoujo manga becoming more and more misogynistic.

TVT briefly becoming self aware or just another thing they felt needed to be cataloged?

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Ninjasaurus posted:

This is also believed to have something to do with shoujo manga becoming more and more misogynistic.

What? I know TVT follows "No such thing as notability", but did they at least provide some examples to argue this?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Little Blackfly posted:

Ottawa is a poo poo town for entertainment in many ways, but it does have a lot of museums.

Hey, you could always go to hull! :shepicide:

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

Hey, you could always go to hull! :shepicide:

At least stores in Hull sell that mead in the clay jugs. A friend of mine brought some to a party and it was really good. Searched all over for it in Ontario, no luck :(. Too much of a lazy bastard to go across the river using STO though.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Wales Grey posted:

What? I know TVT follows "No such thing as notability", but did they at least provide some examples to argue this?

Of course not.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Little Blackfly posted:

At least stores in Hull sell that mead in the clay jugs. A friend of mine brought some to a party and it was really good. Searched all over for it in Ontario, no luck :(. Too much of a lazy bastard to go across the river using STO though.

Yeah, it's really good stuff. My friend got two of them and we drank it over a hockey game with some buds. Just, you have to go to Hull. *shudder*

E: First time I went to Hull a guy punched me in the face at a bar for ordering a drink in English.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I like how you can tell that they didn't actually read the H2G2 series because they leave out the math problem that's the question 42 is answering.

You're talking about "What do you get if you multiply six by nine?", right? And, before anyone says that's wrong, that's the whole point.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Young Freud posted:

You're talking about "What do you get if you multiply six by nine?", right? And, before anyone says that's wrong, that's the whole point.

It shows up pretty early in the series too, in the funny books; if it were buried in the last couple I could understand them not having come across it, but I'm pretty sure that question is in Restaurant.

I get the impression most nerds haven't actually seen or read the things they say they love. For all the references they make to the Spanish Inquisition I'd be surprised if most of them had even seen those sketches, let alone the Flying Circus as a whole.

Little Blackfly posted:

The fourth track on Coldplay's Viva La Vida—their fourth full-length album—is "42." All of its lyrics explicitly reference death, ghosts, and the afterlife, and it's almost exactly four minutes long. That's four 4s. There's no way this is a coincidence, but good luck getting them to cop to it.

Oh wow, the fourth track on their fourth album exists (if they weren't trying to reference the trope Four Is Death they would have skipped straight to track five), and it's a completely unremarkable length for a song! If that's not proof that they were trying to reference an east-asian association of "four" and "death" due to their similar pronunciations in certain languages, I don't know what is. Of course, the band is playing coy and will never admit that I figured out their cunning secret, but I'm on to you, Coldplay. I know. I know.

Here's another good one from that page:

Four Is Death: Tabletop Games posted:

Yu-Gi-Oh! gives us Sasuke Samurai #4, the very definition of Demonic Spider. When it battles an enemy, if the player gets a coinflip right, SS4 instantly destroys that enemy without actually battling it. If you're playing one of the video games, expect the computer to ALWAYS FREAKIN GET THE RIGHT FLIP.

On an unrelated note, TvTropes has taken to categorizing real people according to, I poo poo you not, the four Ancient Greek humors.

Four Temperament Ensemble: Music posted:

ABBA: Frida is sanguine; Björn is choleric; Agnetha is melancholic; and Benny is phlegmatic.
Aerosmith: Steven Tyler is choleric/sanguine; Joe Perry is melancholic; Tom Hamilton is sanguine; Brad Whitford is leukine; and Joey Kramer is phlegmatic.
The Animals: Eric Burdon is melancholic/choleric; Alan Price is choleric/sanguine; Hilton Valentine is phlegmatic/sanguine; Dave Rowberry is choleric/phlegmatic
Arctic Monkeys: Alex is choleric; Jamie is melancholic; Nick is phlegmatic; and Matt is sanguine.
The Beach Boys: Brian Wilson is sanguine/melancholic; Mike Love is melancholic/phlegmatic; Dennis Wilson was choleric/phlegmatic; Carl Wilson was also choleric/phlegmatic; Al Jardine is also sanguine/phlegmatic.
Beastie Boys: MCA was melancholic/choleric, Adrock is sanguine, and Mike D is phlegmatic.
The Beatles: Paul McCartney is sanguine/melancholic; John Lennon was melancholic/sanguine; George Harrison was phlegmatic/sanguine and Ringo Starr is choleric/phlegmatic.
Behemoth — Nergal is choleric; Inferno is melancholic; Orion is phlegmatic; and Seth is sanguine.
The original four members of Black Hippy: Schoolboy Q is sanguine, Ab Soul is choleric, Jay Rock is melancholic, and Kendrick Lamar is phlegmatic.
Black Sabbath: The original four — Ozzy is sanguine; Geezer is choleric; Tony is melancholic, and Bill is (usually) Phlegmatic. When Ronnie James Dio came along, he was a sanguine/choleric combination.
blur: Damon Albarn is choleric; Graham Coxon is melancholic; Alex James is sanguine; Dave Rowntree is phlegmatic.
The Byrds: Roger McGuinn is phlegmatic/choleric; David Crosby is melancholic/sanguine; Gene Clark was phlegmatic/sanguine; Chris Hillman is choleric/sanguine.
The Clash: Joe Strummer was choleric; Mick Jones is sanguine; Paul Simonon is melancholic; Topper Headon is phlegmatic.
The Corrs: Andrea is melancholic; Jim is choleric; Sharon is leukine; Caroline is sanguine.
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young: David Crosby is choleric; Stephen Stills is phlegmatic; Graham Nash is sanguine; and Neil Young is melancholic.
Woodface era Crowded House: Neil is melancholic; Tim is choleric; Paul is sanguine; and Nick is phlegmatic.
Depeche Mode: Vince Clarke is choleric; Dave Gahan is sanguine; Martin Gore is phlegmatic; and Andy Fletcher and Alan Wilder are melancholic.
Disturbed, vocalist David Draiman is phlegmatic (tends to sit in a dark, lonely corner and write lyrics), guitarist Dan Donegan is melancholic (main song-writer, generally a meticulous professional) while drummer Mike Wengren and bassist John Moyer tend to sit between choleric and sanguine.note
The Doors: Jim Morrison was sanguine/choleric; Ray Manzarek was phlegmatic/melancholic; Robbie Krieger is also phlegmatic/melancholic; and John Densmore is also sanguine/choleric.
Duran Duran: Simon Le Bon is choleric; Nick Rhodes is melancholic; John Taylor is sanguine; and Roger Taylor is phlegmatic. Former guitarist Andy Taylor is a little harder to pin down, but for that very reason, he may have very well been leukine, which would complete the five-temperament format.
Franz Ferdinand: Lead Singer/Guitarist Alex Kapranos is sanguine; Rhythm Guitarist/Keyboardist Nick McCarthy is choleric; Drummer Paul Thompson is melancholic; and Bassist Bob Hardy is phlegmatic.
Gorillaz: Murdoc is choleric; 2D is sanguine; Noodle is melancholic; and Russel is phlegmatic.
Glay: Teru is sanguine; Takuro is choleric; Hisashi is phlegmatic; and Jiro is melancholic.
Green Day: Billie Joe Armstrong is sanguine/choleric, Mike Dirnt is melancholic/sanguine; and Tre Cool is phlegmatic/melancholic.
The Jam: Paul Weller was Melancholic/Choleric; Bruce Foxton was sanguine; Rick Buckler was phlegmatic.
Japan: David was choleric; Mick was sanguine; Steve was phlegmatic; Rich was melancholic; and Rob was leukine.
Joy Division: Ian Curtis was melancholic; Bernard Sumner was phlegmatic; Peter Hook was choleric; Stephen Morris was sanguine.
The Kinks: Ray Davies is sanguine/melancholic; Dave Davies is sanguine/phlegmatic; Mick Avory is sanguine/choleric; Peter Quaife was also sanguine/phlegmatic.
KISS: Original lineup: Gene Simmons (choleric), Paul Stanley (sanguine), Ace Frehley (melancholic), Peter Criss (phlegmatic)
L Arc En Ciel: Hyde is phlegmatic; Ken is melancholic; Tetsu is choleric; Yukihiro (1997-present) is sanguine; and Sakura (1992-1997) was leukine.
Luna Sea: Ryuichi is sanguine; Sugizo is melancholic; Inoran is phlegmatic; J is choleric; Shinya is leukine.
The Monkees: Davy Jones was sanguine; Michael Nesmith was melancholic; Peter Tork was choleric; and Micky Dolenz was phlegmatic.
Led Zeppelin: Robert Plant is choleric/melancholic, Jimmy Page is choleric/phlegmatic, John Paul Jones is melancholic/sanguine and John Bonham was phlegmatic/sanguine.
Metallica: James Hetfield is choleric, Lars Ulrich is sanguine, and Kirk Hammett is phlegmatic. The bass players occupy less certain territory, but it could be argued that Cliff Burton was a melancholic, Jason Newsted a phlegmatic and Robert Trujillo somewhere between a phlegmatic and a sanguine.
Manic Street Preachers: James Dean Bradfield is choleric, Nicky Wire is sanguine, Richey Edwards is melancholic, and Sean Moore is phlegmatic.
NewOrder: Bernard Sumner is Melancholic, Peter Hook was Choleric, Gillian Gilbert is Phlegmatic, Stephen Morris is Sanguine.
Nirvana: Kurt Cobain was phlegmatic/melancholic, Krist Novoselic is melancholic/sanguine, and Dave Grohl is melancholic/phlegmatic.
Panic! at the Disco: Brendon Urie is sanguine; Ryan Ross is melancholic; Spencer Smith is leukine; Jon Walker is choleric.
Pantera: Phil Anselmo is choleric; Dimebag Darrell Abbott is sanguine; Rex Brown is melancholic; and Vinnie Paul is phlegmatic.
Pink Floyd: Roger Waters is sanguine/melancholic; David Gilmour is phlegmatic/choleric; Richard Wright was phlegmatic/sanguine; Nick Mason is sanguine/choleric; and late Syd Barrett was also sanguine/melancholic.
Queen: Freddie Mercury was choleric; Brian May is phlegmatic; Roger Taylor is sanguine; and John Deacon is melancholic.
Radiohead: Thom is choleric; Jonny is melancholic; Ed is sanguine; Phil is phlegmatic; and Colin is leukine.
The Ramones: Joey is phlegmatic; Johnny is choleric; DeeDee is melancholic; and Marky is sanguine.
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Anthony is choleric; Flea is sanguine; John/Josh is melancholic; and Chad is phlegmatic.
Flea is in fact both sanguine and melancholic, as despite his 'party animal' persona, he is sensitive and has suffered bouts of depression in the past.
The late guitarist Hillel Slovak was known for being so optimistic that the other band members fed off his energy. It helped that they were best friends since high school.
The Rolling Stones: Mick Jagger is choleric/sanguine; Keith Richards is melancholic/choleric; Charlie Watts is phlegmatic/sanguine; Brian Jones was sanguine/melancholic.
Rush: Alex is sanguine; Geddy is choleric; and Neil is a phlegmatic/melancholic.
Scooter: H.P. is choleric; Rick is melancholic (but not depressed); and Michael is phlegmatic.
Ex-members - Ferris was sanguine; Axel was leukine; and Jay was phlegmatic.
Sex Pistols: Johnny Rotten is melancholic; Steve Jones is choleric; Paul Cook is phlegmatic; Sid Vicious was sanguine; and Glen Matlock is leukine.
Thin Lizzy: Phil Lynott (1969-1984) was choleric; Eric Bell (1969-1973) - Brian Robertson (1974-1978) - Gary Moore (1974, 1978-1979) - John Sykes (1983-1984) were melancholic; Scott Gorham (1974-1984) was phlegmatic; Brian Downey (1969-1984) was sanguine: Snowy White (1980-1982) and Darren Wharton (1980-1984) were leukine.
The Small Faces: Steve Marriott was choleric; Ronnie Lane was melancholic; Ian Mclagan was phlegmatic; Kenney Jones was sanguine.
The Smiths: Morrissey was choleric; Johnny Marr was melancholic; Andy Rouke was sanguine; and Mike Joyce and Craig Gannon were phlegmatic.
The Stone Roses: Ian Brown is melancholic, John Squire is choleric, Mani is Sanguine, Reni is Phlegmatic.
System of a Down: Singer/keyboardist Serj Tankian is melancholic; Guitarist/Singer Daron Malakian is choleric; Bassist Shavo Odadjian is phlegmatic; and Drummer John Dolmayan is sanguine.
Tool: Maynard James Keenan is choleric; Danny Carey is sanguine; Adam Jones is melancholic; and Justin Chancellor is phlegmatic.
U2: Bono is sanguine (most of the time); Edge is melancholic; Adam is phlegmatic; and Larry is choleric.
The Who: Roger Daltrey is sanguine/phlegmatic (he even had the Hair-Trigger Temper and used to start fights with the others); Pete Townshend is melancholic/phlegmatic; John Entwistle was sanguine/phlegmatic (he even wrote a song about himself called "The Quiet One"); and Keith Moon was either sanguine/choleric or just Moon the Loon.
XTC: Andy Partridge is choleric; Colin Moulding is sanguine; Dave Gregory is melancholic; Terry Chambers is phlegmatic.
The Wiggles: Greg is choleric (he even wears yellow); Jeff is phlegmatic; Murray (wearing red) is Sanguine; and Anthony is melancholic.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The Wiggles: Greg is choleric (he even wears yellow); Jeff is phlegmatic; Murray (wearing red) is Sanguine; and Anthony is melancholic.

that's a band for toddlers

my niece listens to them, they sing about jumping

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Young Freud posted:

Didn't Adams admit that he was drunk as all hell when writing that chapter which is why he put the wrong multiplication problem, but he liked it enough to leave it there?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Behemoth — Nergal is choleric; Inferno is melancholic; Orion is phlegmatic; and Seth is sanguine. 

I don't know why I'm surprised at least one black metal fan reads TVT, but I guess I am.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Swan Oat posted:

I don't know why I'm surprised at least one black metal fan reads TVT, but I guess I am.

I'd be more surprised if at least one didn't.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Internet metal fandom is that circlejerk where they talk about listening to "the only real music in the world", right?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Gimnbo posted:

Internet metal fandom is that circlejerk where they talk about listening to "the only real music in the world", right?

They would if they weren't too busy arguing whether a certain band is black doom funk sludge metal or neo retro post heavy thrashcore metal.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

It shows up pretty early in the series too, in the funny books; if it were buried in the last couple I could understand them not having come across it, but I'm pretty sure that question is in Restaurant.

I get the impression most nerds haven't actually seen or read the things they say they love. For all the references they make to the Spanish Inquisition I'd be surprised if most of them had even seen those sketches, let alone the Flying Circus as a whole.

Oh wow, the fourth track on their fourth album exists (if they weren't trying to reference the trope Four Is Death they would have skipped straight to track five), and it's a completely unremarkable length for a song! If that's not proof that they were trying to reference an east-asian association of "four" and "death" due to their similar pronunciations in certain languages, I don't know what is. Of course, the band is playing coy and will never admit that I figured out their cunning secret, but I'm on to you, Coldplay. I know. I know.

Here's another good one from that page:

On an unrelated note, TvTropes has taken to categorizing real people according to, I poo poo you not, the four Ancient Greek humors.

Tropers have to have some as-yet-undescribed psychiatric disorder that makes them obsess over fitting things into classification systems, real or imagined. Obsessive containerism?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

They would if they weren't too busy arguing whether a certain band is black doom funk sludge metal or neo retro post heavy thrashcore metal.

And may god help you if you like Metallica or some :airquote:metal:airquote: band more than three people have heard of. It's always stuff like Flaming Vagina Blood Virgin Sacrifice with audio that sounds like it was filtered fifty times through a McDonalds drive up speaker.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Didn't Adams admit that he was drunk as all hell when writing that chapter which is why he put the wrong multiplication problem, but he liked it enough to leave it there?

I think it was on purpose, because I remember reading something he wrote where he bitched about nerds pointing out that 6*9=42 in base 12, and how no, he did not write a joke in base 12, that would be really loving lame, the joke is that it's wrong.

EDIT: Also, as a metalhead, gently caress you if you use more than like one subgenre(death, black, heavy, etc) and one modifier(brutal, depressive, progressive, etc), unless your poo poo is super avant garde. The point of a subgenre is to give an idea of the general style, not to write a loving essay about how the fact you listened to a Pink Floyd album once means you invented your own kind of metal.

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 13, 2014

rjryan3
Oct 10, 2012

A good chunk of these aren't even a four-member band. :psyduck:

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Little Blackfly posted:

Tropers have to have some as-yet-undescribed psychiatric disorder that makes them obsess over fitting things into classification systems, real or imagined. Obsessive containerism?

Asperger's Syndrome.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
What is it about metal that attracts sperglords? I've never seen punk or hip-hop fans as anal and dorky as metalheads.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

HorseRenoir posted:

What is it about metal that attracts sperglords? I've never seen punk or hip-hop fans as anal and dorky as metalheads.

I have no idea and we are not the ones to question it.

Anyway have a blast from the past of 2008 https://web.archive.org/web/20081218133530/http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/DarthWiki/ComplainAboutShowsYouDontLike

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

HorseRenoir posted:

Metal talks about dragons and Vikings and poo poo like that, and nerds are notorious for their hatred of hip-hop and country music. Also metal usually doesn't promote socializing, drinking alcohol, or going outside.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

HorseRenoir posted:

Metal is the anime of music

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

quote:

TVTropes is a masturbatory, self-obsessed shitpit for people incapable of enjoying narrative media on its own merits

Well, I guess our work here is done.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I haven't seen Idiocracy all the way through but I know about it and it's a kind of dumb comedy about people being dumb but this troper found it HIGHLY UNREALISTIC:

quote:

It's an especially bad ripoff because they omitted the idea of a few elites running the world behind the scenes. This troper kept waiting for them to explain who flies the planes, who builds the buildings, who programs the computers, who monitors the stock market, who manufactures the guns, and most importantly how anyone is still alive if nobody can figure out how to grow food and everyone drinks some stupid sports drink instead of water, BUT THEY NEVER EXPLAINED IT. Apparently in the Stupid Age society will still function reasonably well, everyone will have access to incredibly advanced technological conveniences that never require any highly-educated personnel to fix them because they're so resilient they never break down, and basically no one will really want for anything. Broken Aesop anyone?
BUT THEY NEVER EXPLAINED IT is the most horrible thing to a troper.

TvTropes/Tumblr Asexual crossover:

quote:

The 40 Year Old Virgin really bugs me with its implication that people who don't want to have sex are immature, naive, or have something seriously wrong with them.

quote:

...You mean they aren't?

quote:

No. They aren't. In some ways it's easier to be gay in this culture than it is to be Asexual. People will accept that you don't want to gently caress the same kinds of (consenting adult) people that they do, but tell them you don't want to gently caress at all and they'll look at you as though you've got lobsters crawling out of your ears.

quote:

Amen to that. The strongest proof Freud Was Right would be comments like "you mean they aren't?"

quote:

Oh yeah? Try being gay AND asexual. I'm a girl. I like being touched by girls. I like cuddling with girls. I like looking at girls. I have no particular desire to have sex with them. I consider men okay as friends, but I prefer to keep them physically at arm's length and find the notion of sex with them deeply icky. I've had people tell me that makes me straight.
It's easier to be gay than to be asexual. Being gay means you're socially and politically marginalized for your relationship status. Being asexual means sometimes people make fun of you on the internet. So, y'know, gays should be glad they're not asexual.

quote:

A Separate Peace, Their Eyes Were Watching God, Cry The Beloved Country, the definition of an American "classic" seems to be "it's old".
"gently caress books about black people."

Re: The Stranger:

quote:

I read it translated into English as The Stranger for AP/IB English 3. Is it sad that one day during English class, just to keep my sanity, I wrote an alternate ending to the book in which Captain Jack Sparrow, Anakin Skywalker, and I helped prep the protagonist, Meurseault, for his execution, only to help him escape during the execution and abandon him on a desert island?
"gently caress absurdism. Also I am horrible and uncreative."

Re: His Dark Materials:

quote:

The only thing that really bothers me about HDM is the ending. Two children fall in love. The universe is automatically saved. And then they HAVE TO SEPARATE FOREVER because visiting each other would DESTROY THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT. Open window. Stab Spectre. Step through. Close window. Wash, rinse, repeat. It's not that difficult, Will.
"gently caress meaningful sacrifice."

quote:

This troper was once forced to read Lord of the Flies as part of a bet. He couldn't finish the second chapter, it was that bad. Not only was the premise already pretty pretentious and stunk of every bad castaway film and book he's ever known, but the horrific writing and inexplicably random (and badly done) transitions between character perspectives killed off any interest he might have had to finish it. Seriously, what's the point of writing a book, if you're going to confuse the hell out of your readers by not clearly illustrating who is saying or doing what at any given time?
A troper mad that a work of fiction contained tropes, some of which were "deconstructed".

quote:

Doctor Who is way overrated! It isn't even that original or that great! A bunch of boring plots with unlikeable characters, Fan Dumb polluting this wiki with rants about how awesome it is! Jesus christ guys, get some new materail. Stop causing Hype Backlash, and The Timelord/Tardis joke was never funny in the first place!
If it wasn't for "polluting this wiki", as if TvTropes would only be great if it weren't for Doctor Who, I'd call this a normal person's reaction.

quote:

The newer Star Treks suck. Far too much pinko, left-wing propaganda and far too much technobabble. The original Trek was the best, at least Kirk had some balls! The starfleet of the 24th century are all too soft. DS9 was 50% boring, ST:TNG was 99% Boring and Enterprise was 65% boring. I hope the next Star Trek is more action packed and done with better dialogue, an no preachy pinko crap.

quote:

The Pokemon video games. The first one was sort of a novel concept, although it got boring really drat quick. Then they took the same drat game and rehashed it six times (eight, if you count the two Gamecube games). And people keep buying it! It's nothing but an Excuse Plot and mind-numbing, button-mashing grinding. What is it that people see in that drek?
It amuses me to no end to see Pokemon fans who haven't realized that they're no longer the target market for Pokemon. (spoilers: it's ten year old kids)

quote:

Dominic Deegan is terrible.
A broken clock is right twice a day.

Re: TV Tropes itself

quote:

In this wiki: Troper Tales for both Book Dumb and Insufferable Genius (and I'm sure there's others). Pages full of stories that are self-inflating, ego-centric and, I'll wager, utter bullshit. For the former - If you're doing badly at school, it's probably because You Suck, not because your "genius" is unappreciated. As for the latter, well, just read it.
Man, makes me wish Troper Tales was still getting updated. I know it's moved to some other site, but it's not the same any more. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Clochette posted:

Metal talks about dragons and Vikings and poo poo like that, and nerds are notorious for their hatred of hip-hop and country music. Also metal usually doesn't promote socializing, drinking alcohol, or going outside.

What? Getting completely loving shitfaced and running around tearing poo poo up with other people is a classic theme of metal. :colbert:

• Locked thread